Start by marking “Shift Happens (Carus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shift Happens (Carus, #1)

Shift Happens

(Carus #1)

Andrea McNelly's job as a government agent is not asking questions, but then a routine assignment turns into a botched assassination of a Master Vampire's human servant. Answers become a priority. Her search to discover the truth is riddled with obstacles, the largest being an oversized Werewolf who resembles a Norse god. Andy can't afford the distraction he offers, becaus ...more
Published March 27th 2014 by The Wild Rose Press (first published March 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shift Happens, please sign up.
J.C. McKenzie 5 books are planned for the Carus Series. At the time of this reply, I've submitted book 3 to my publisher, am two-thirds finished book 4 and have plo…more5 books are planned for the Carus Series. At the time of this reply, I've submitted book 3 to my publisher, am two-thirds finished book 4 and have plotted out the main events in the last installment. :-)(less)

Start your review of Shift Happens (Carus, #1)
So, I Read This Book Today
Rough, but has potential “Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting ...more
Dianne
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Andy is a supernatural black ops assassin-the kind that no one admits to employing but when her latest assignment goes belly up, her handler goes missing and her target seems to be very much alive, life as she knows it is about to do a 360 into chaos. As a shifter, Andy can alter her animals according to her needs, but she wasn’t prepared to have her inner wolf make a headlong lunge for the enemy, a werewolf alpha whose pack is indentured to the Vampire King, his minions who do his bidding.

Now
Jeanny
My jumbled thoughts disguised as a review: I dislike the romantic interest Wick, have absolutely no interest in the werewolf pack, am not particularly impressed with Lucian, am not happy the vampire enslavement issue was left as a cliffhanger being it was the main thread in this book. So what did I like? I liked Andy even though she made stupid choices, Alan intrigues me, & Tristan seems like the ideal romantic interest... Maybe he'll replace Wick's dumb ass. I give this book a generous 2.5/3 st ...more
Cyndi Marie ☆★Audiobook Addict★☆
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
🎧 Audio Review 🎧

What a fun exciting book! I really enjoyed the twist to the paranormal world! These characters were badass, funny and sexy. Wick was my favorite, I love a strong silent type...aka sexy alpha! The writing was good and even though it had a cliffhanger, it wasn't a bad one at all!

The narration was fantastic! I seriously love Laurel Schroeder's work! I really hope she narrates book 2!

If you enjoy Werewolves, Vamps and more, you'll like this book!
Ronda  Tutt
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Good start for a new series.

Hmmm, I personally think this was a good start to a new urban paranormal fantasy due to the agent secret service taking out the supernatural. I enjoyed the read somewhat – I didn't hate it but wasn’t in love with it either.

I believe this series has lots of potential if each book would end with a Happy Ever After (HEA) and the main character wouldn't sexually tease their true mate and then do nothing about it - poor guy had the blue balls throughout the whole book. I
Kristi
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading the blurb on the back of this book I was a little hesitant to try the blook as the description was a little dry and boring.With a name like Shift Happens you know it is going to be fun.The blurb on the back of the book does not come close to conveying how well written and enjoyable this book is so ignore it.

I found this a great read and I read a lot of paranormal romance. I was starting to find a lot of shifter novels getting similar but this one manages to find a fresh angle.

My fa
Douglas Meeks
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Andy and Wick made a great couple for the romantic side of this novel and the author ended the love/hate/on/off relationship in a suitable manner just before I got bored with it.

The storyline and world of this novel I have mixed feelings about, the vamps seem to be pretty horrible but possibly getting a small bit less evil towards the end, methinks the author might have realized that having them so terribly evil might not make for such great reading IMHO.

The character of Clint should have been k
Koffe
I really liked this book and the characters in it. However a lot of the things in it felt copied from other more successful books Like: Mercy Thompson, Jane Yellowrock, Kate Daniels. There was nothing really original in this series at all and the plot was a bit slow. But it was definitely worth a 3,5 star rating. The author needs to find her own style instead of copying from others because there where no really unique elements in this book. I am not saying it was a boring read because it wasn't, ...more
Jacqueline Bagwell
Heart-pounding, non-stop, edge of your seat excitement!

If I could give this book 10 stars I would! It is my new favorite book, one I plan on reading more than once. Cannot wait to start the next one! Excellent book!
HaveBooks WillSurvive
Vamps Wolves Cats oh my

Shift happened & took a glorious ride! Action packed throw in so vamp politics makes for a truly wicked read. Loved it and can't wait for more. May everyone enjoy it as much as I did.
Mita
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pulls you in right from the beginning. Quick. Funny, and entertaining. Sexy without making you gag, this action packed, thrill ride is worth the read.
A definite recommend from me.
Katie O'Sullivan
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book starts out fast and quickly goes on from there, dragging us headlong into a future world where shifters, weres, vampires and all sorts of paranormals are officially "out" and people have learned to deal with it. Sort of. Andy McNeilly works for the government agency that polices the "supes" and takes out the baddies before things get ugly.

Things get ugly for Andy in the very first chapter.

As a shape shifter with more than one form, she is not the "normal" supe. She's never met another w
Kai
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
In Shift Happens, government assassin Andrea "Andy" McNeilly blotched her job. What is usually a regular assassination of her mark become complicated when too many variables didn't go according to plan. Not only did she failed to kill her target, she also failed to escape.

Andy has to discovered who has given her order to killed a human servant of a very powerful vampire while being attracted to the werewolf alpha leader, Wick and to not end up as a servant of the vampire if she fails. As Andy go
Marsha
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very rarely do I come across paranormal mystery books that have a unique take on the were mythology. "Shift Happens" is one of these rare reads. Before I start my review I should probably say that this book would have received a 5 Star review from me had it not delved into the blow by blow nature of the sexual abuse suffered by the main character. It was unnecessary and not written in the most sensitive manner. With that being said, I would have loved this read except for that.

Andy is a shifter
Charlotte Copper
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shift Happens is a wonderful new book from debut author J.C.McKenzie.

It’s been 70+ years since The Purge – the era in which supernatural beings were exposed to the world. Andrea (Andy) McNelly, SRD (Supernatural Regulatory Division) agent, is not your usual shapeshifter. Her special abilities along with her not-so-nice past result in the sass and brass she uses to overcome the challenges she must face...none of which I will spoil here.

It’s not just Andy but the wonderful cast of supporting char
Shasha
Rapey but darkly entertaining

I gobbled this story up but may have gone through quickly the stuff I didn't care to read about.
The heroine was raped for a long time by someone she had trusted. Her flashbacks are terrifying and happen frequently, especially when she is getting it on with the love interest. Then she is forced into a situation where she will be given as a pet to a sadist if she doesn't investigate and prove something. She is captured which leads to torture and promises of rape. More
The Book Breeze
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a good debut book and could be a great series if the author tightens up the storyline. There were a lot of superfluous scenes that lessen the tension of the situation such as the ranting about Zombie movies.

The characters needed a little more depth especially Wick. He came across as nothing more than horny and not the Alpha of the pack. The animal came through but not the man nor the leader.

It left a lot of questions unanswered, obviously saving them for the next installment, which left
Runningrabbit
I really enjoyed this. I liked the character, she was someone you could truly empathise with. The story included some pretty good sex which was not over the top nor overused within the story.

The story wasn't especially new in it's concepts, however it was well done and a nice length, being longer than the odd 180 to 220 page range. I like that.

Definitely looking forward to the next installment which isn't available yet, but looks like it should come out this year.
Farida
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Farida by: Runningrabbit
Such a great start to a series! It had humor, romance, suspense. The author depicted well developed characters that really added depth to the story line.

I cannot wait to read the next book. As in, I already got it on my Kindle and I am going to start now!
InD'tale Magazine
A new spin on paranormal romance, Andrea McNelly has three animal spirits within her and is able to change into any of the three.

Read full review in the 2014 August issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Chris Effinger
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you like fast-paced paranormal stories filled with shape-shifters and sexual tension, you will enjoy this book!
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
Loved this a completely addictive read, Andy is a legend ! I love the female leads J C McKenzie writes they are so relatable, tough, funny and this is another great book and series
Jo
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a really fun book to read!
Jeremy Reppy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was an enjoyable paranormal story. I really liked Andrea McNeilly, a shifter who is a government assassin for the Supernatural Regulatory Division (SRD). Unlike normal shifters who can only shift into one animal, she can shift into at least three (mountain lion, wolf, and falcon), even though she does not understand why she has this abnormal ability. Andrea (Andy) has a good mix of toughness and vulnerability that makes the reader want to root for her. The author has created an in ...more
Jeannie Zelos
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shift Happens (A Carus Novel Book 1) J. C. McKenzie

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre:  Fantasy, Paranormal.

One from the Kindle Unlimited range today. I saw there were three books out and somehow thought this was a trilogy and that I could read right through ( though books 2 and 3 aren’t on KU). It wasn’t til I came to write this review I discovered its actually a five book series. I would like to read more, very much enjoyed this and given first books in a series have a hard job, se
Home. Love. Books.
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To read this review and others like it check out my site at www.homelovebooks.com

I have to admit I seriously loved this book. I mean, when I read the synopsis I thought I would like the book okay, I have been looking for shifter books recently, but I really didn't expect to love this book the way I did. Seriously, if they synopsis doesn't pull you in, I urge you to give it a shot anyway, because the synopsis doesn't this book no justice at all.

So Andy's job is basically a government agent who
Laura of Lurking
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed on LauraofLurking

Strong language: Some
Drugs: None
Violence: Yes, semi-graphic
Sexual content: Yes, frequent

I received a free copy of this in return for an unbiased review

Shift happens is set in an urban environment after all supernatural creatures have been outed, and the majority killed. Things appear to have since calmed down with them able to live their own lives, even having a government department called Supernatural Regulatory Division to supposedly keep things even – eve
Jody
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fans of the paranormal genre will find themselves quickly immersed in this story as the storyline hits the ground running in a world were otherworldly creatures are an open part of society. Just because they're out doesn't mean things go smoothly though as there's a battle waging amongst these creatures that a special governmental group tries to keep under control.

Andy McNeilly is a member of this group and a shifter herself. She's not your average shifter though as she can take on different for
Julie
Shift Happens is an Urban fantasy that is just different enough to be fresh. There are typical features of the genre, such as 1st person narration and a kick butt heroine. One of the things that makes this story different is the way the author plays with conventions in the world. For example, shifters and weres are different types of supernatural creatures. The story is set in the present, but there is also the feeling of recent history as the supernaturals came out after a Purge. It was fun hea ...more
Fawn
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a gripping story. Andy is quite the character. She has background of dealing with Dylan who's insidious treatment has mentally taken a toll on her. Even with a hot male in her sights, she doesn't give in. She has too much on her plate right now trying to discover why her last job went so terribly wrong. The story moves quickly and is engrossing. The shifter style world is a bit different than most stories. Here there is a physical animal that hangs out with you instead of only being in the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please merge 3 12 Jan 06, 2016 06:26PM
Audiobooks: FREE copies of a new Shifter Romance 1 11 Dec 21, 2015 11:46AM

• Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Shadow Magic (Hidden Magic #1)
  • Shifter's Moon (Katie Bishop, #3)
  • Bayou Kings (Katie Bishop, #5)
  • Deadly Vows (Lizzie Grace, #6)
  • Heart of Stone (Alice Worth, #4)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Broken Loyalty (Jacky Leon, #3)
  • Crossroads of Bones (Katie Bishop, #1)
  • Heart of Ice (Alice Worth, #3)
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • Shadows & Surrender (The Jezebel Files #3)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Death & Desire (The Jezebel Files, #2)
  • Blackthorn Grove (Katie Bishop, #2)
  • A Drop of Magic (The Magicsmith #1)
  • Sinister Magic (Death Before Dragons, #1)
  • Dragon's Egg (Dark Streets #2)
Born and raised on the Haida Gwaii, off the West Coast of Canada, J.C. McKenzie grew up in a pristine wilderness that inspired her to dream. She writes Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance.

Carus (5 books)
  • Beast Coast (Carus, #2)
  • Carpe Demon (Carus, #3)
  • Shift Work (Carus, #4)
  • Beast of All (Carus #5)

News & Interviews