Start by marking “The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)

The Hanging Tree

(Rivers of London #6)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  15,554 ratings  ·  1,445 reviews
The Hanging Tree was the Tyburn gallows which stood where Marble Arch stands today. Oxford Street was the last trip of the condemned. Some things don't change. The place has a bloody and haunted legacy and now blood has returned to the empty Mayfair mansions of the world's super-rich. And blood mixed with magic is a job for Peter Grant.

Peter Grant is back as are Nightingal
Published November 3rd 2016 by Gollancz

carol.
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy detectives
Possibly perfect.

The more I love a book, the harder it becomes to review, because I don't want to move out of my state of enjoyment to one of analysis. That said, this was quite possibly my favorite installment of Peter Grant's story yet. The characterization is interesting, there are developments in Peter's personal life, and the overall arc of the series takes a satisfying and solid step forward.

I love the variety of characters and backgrounds, although this particular edition spends more time
Paromjit
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I did not realise when I chose this bewitching and beguiling book to read that it was the 6th in a established series. A lot of world building has been done by this stage. As a result, there was a lot I had to catch up on and make sense of, but I didn't care, I was just loving what I was reading. I slowly began to understand more and more. There is a great sense of location in its setting of London. Peter Grant, is a black police detective attached to the Folly, a unit set aside to look at crime ...more
carol.
I know, I know: I'm always waxing enthusiastic over Kobna's reading of this series, but the audio version of a story set in London, filled with a wide variety of characters, brings a whole new level of appreciation to the story. Kobna's work on the London stage since 2003 would seem to be ideal preparation for the range of accents, voices and emotions used in the Peter Grant series. One official site lists a dizzying array of accent skills, along with fluency in English, Fanti and Ghanaian, (sit ...more
Orient
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
My playdate with Peter Grant is over and I already miss our great time together <3 He’s always a charmer in his way of dealing with difficulties :)

Well, we all have our ways of dealing with difficulties – mine is to ask stupid questions.

Mr. Aaronovitch once again charmed me with his fab skill combining detective genre, police work, mythology and wit with UF. The book is well paced as well as entertaining to read. Mr Aaronovichs combined humor with serious content in an endearing and gripping
Bradley
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books have steadily been getting better and better and better, or perhaps it's just me getting so far invested in the stories that I can't even tell the difference anymore.

Either way, this says very great things about the books. :)

I am invested as hell.

Aaronovitch's UF writing is rather unique in that his mystery writing is unparalleled, the magic system is firmly grounded, explored, and interesting, and the MC in Peter is just a lovable nerd. Never mind that he's an apprentice wizard work
Lyn
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now we are in the springtime of our discontent, when I must wait until JUNE!! for the next installment in this freakin’ great series!

Ben Aaronovitch has created one of the best urban / contemporary fantasy series of recent date, or HELL for that matter EVER, with his Peter Grant series. Grant is the protagonist, a police constable in the Metropolitan police force of London who, a few books back, saw a ghost and then was approached by a dapper Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale who intr
Lois Bujold
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers of urban fantasy and Anglophiles
Recommended to Lois by: continuing the series so, I suppose, the prior volume
No spoilers...

4 stars for the book in general, 5 for the parent-and-child themes running throughout, weaving in and out beneath, and ultimately driving, the action plot. Protagonist-narrator Peter Grant's trademark voice and dry humor remain in fine form.

I'd meant to review this ages ago, then thought it needed another reading first (not a suffering), then it got pushed down my queue. Just reread it in preparation for the next book in the series, Lies Sleeping, coming up in November 2018 from DA
Caro the L. of the H.
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You guys are so awesome - you gave me more than 30 likes before I've even started reading the book!!! <3 :D

description

Caro the L. of the H.
So you've already heard that prince Harry is dating some black girl, huh? What can I say - well played, Mama Thames, well played! ;)

On the happy side - this book was SO great!
On less happy side - and now I have to wait for the next one again for another whole year (and I'm being optimistic here).
description

So our good lad Peter is back in London, cheeky and witty as ever, ready for more adventures and more new... let's say friends. I like how Aaronovitch is adding new characters into every next book and h
Algernon
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
[9/10]

His mates on the Metropolitan Police Force are having a raffle about which arhitectural landmark of London will be blown to smithereens next by PC Peter Grant, junior member on the Force and rookie practitioner of magic. It's not like he deliberately sets out to rearrange the metropolis skyline, but trouble follows Peter around like groupies chasing rock stars. Peter is the main attraction of Ben Aaronovich supernatural police procedural series, a geeky young man full of vim and curiosity
Kirsty &#x1f4da;&#x1f4d6;❤️
About 4 years ago at one of the World Book Night Events I was given a free copy of Rivers of London. In the time since I bought all the books and am on my second read through of them. Aaronovitch has fast become one of my top 3 authors.

The Hanging Tree may be my favourite of the books so far (I still need to get the comics). The characters are really well established by now and I really enjoyed the introduction of others that will hopefully pop up at least now and again.

With this one we're bac
Paul E. Morph
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic Peter Grant novel. Sadly, this is the last one until the next book is released... I'll have to tide myself over with reading the comicbook stories until then...
Carolyn
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, urban-fantasy, crime
I'm happy to report that this sixth episode of this terrific UF series is definitely as good as the rest, if not better. I feel that we're really getting to know the characters well. Peter Grant is developing in both his magic skills and his policing skills, making new gadgets and spells to fight crime. Nightingale as ever if there to support Peter and pull him out of trouble by dealing with the heavy stuff when required. Peter's relationship with the river Goddess, Beverley Brook is looking hap ...more
Hallie
I ended up getting the print version before it was even on the shelves in town, had pre-ordered the audiobook, and have only myself to blame for it now being *maximum* time before I can read the next one. This was SO GOOD, guys. I read it, listened to the audio as soon as it came out, noticed I'd missed a possible clue so went back and listened to the whole thing again and still regularly return to it at random, just for the pleasure of hearing Peter's voice. (If Kobna Holdbrook-Smith were ever ...more
Lindsay
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent addition to a wonderful ongoing urban fantasy series.

If you're not aware of this series, it's set in the modern day London police force if they had a division dealing with "weird bollocks" consisting of a senior police wizard and his constable apprentice. The extremely cool aspect of this is that Peter Grant (the constable apprentice) is a policeman first and a wizard second, and modern day policing is at least as strange as any wizardry.

This installment substantially moves the ongo
Phrynne
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4000-books
Another exceptionally good book in this very successful series. To be honest, I haven't actually read any of them. I have however listened to each one on audio and the narrator is absolutely brilliant. There are so many characters with so many different accents and he does each one superbly. The day he stops narrating them will be the day I stop listening and start reading them myself. And I will be hearing his voice in my head as I do so.
Of course he is aided by the fact that he has excellent m
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/01/27/...

After two years of watching the release date hover in flux and getting pushed back time and time again, I must confess waiting for this book was its own special kind of agony. That was also when I realized I was irrevocably addicted to Peter Grant.

The Hanging Tree is book six of the series which returns to London and places the main story arc back on track, following the short respite we took to the countryside with our pr
Hannah
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, crime
I have a problem with urban fantasy; which is weird because I love fantasy. But the Dresden files got on my nerves real quick, I disliked the two Sandman Slim books I read and pretty much every other series I started, but I do love the Peter Grant books. I find them to be not only clever and well-plotted but also often hilarious.

Peter is one of the best protagonists I have ever encountered and his voice is just perfectly suited for the stories told. He is capable without being over-powered, he
Mandapanda
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Read the UK hardcover version which has been released earlier than the US version. It's been years since I read a print book and I must admit I prefer the kindle. The anticipation and continued delay in publishing The Hanging Tree, book 6 in the Peter Grant series, was intense and has probably made me super sensitive and critical of some aspects of the story. My overall feeling while I was reading was, "THIS is what I was waiting 2 years for???".

The series is known for its contemporary tone and
Emma
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, magic
I love this series and this one seemed particularly funny. It feels like Aaronvitch is back on form (I didn't enjoy Foxglove Summer this much) and we're back to our familiar London setting. The story gets started quickly and doesn't let up at all- action all the way. Peter is such a down to earth protagonist and Guleed makes a fantastic sidekick. We see more of Leslie and the Faceless man. A truly modern magical romp through London. Keep it coming Mr. Aaronvitch!
Milda Page Runner
*Sigh* Soooooo good. I can’t believe it’s over. I just want to snuggle up with this book and hold it close to my heart and then re-read it as soon as possible.
That light cheeky tone that we know so well from first books in the series, loads of humour, non-stop action and then just a quiet question “Is she OK?” that despite all the jokes and admitted anger just breaks your heart a little. A real rollercoaster unputdownable from start to finish.
Robyn
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I just have so much fun with these. Aaronovitch is hilarious and the series is progressing with complexity of back story and characters with every book, but not becoming unnecessarily complicated. Yay.
Lata
What to say about a book I loved, in a series I love? Aaronovitch's mixture of police procedural, humour, fantasy, history, some social commentary and snark makes me grin and keep waiting anxiously for more Peter Grant. There are so many things I loved in this instalment, so here goes:
-Peter's ability to get distracted by architecture and all sorts of other things, all the time. His ramblings are one of the reasons I keep showing up for this series.
-Though not critical to one's enjoyment of the
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
OMG! I saw this come up in a feed and hovered my mouse over it. It said 'published in 2016' so I'm like:

I thought 'Imma get that book and read the hell out of it this weekend!' And then I clicked on it and it said 'expected publication in Jan 2017' and now I'm all:

Mimi
The tag line on the cover says: Back in London, back in trouble which pretty much sums up this book. We're back in London, and Peter Grant and friends are back in trouble. And it's the same kind of trouble that's been plaguing them since Moon Over Soho .

But finally, we stop chasing after ghosts and faceless mysteries and come face to face with the man behind the mask. And there really is a face behind that mask. This reveal was indeed a surprise, but whether or not it does anything for the ser
Mark
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this book. A lot darker less humour than in first books of this series.
Denis Pedersen
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This was a major dissappointment ...
I really liked the other books in this series (all 4 and 5 stars ratings in my book), but this one really fell short compared to the rest of 'em ...

The characters are thrown around in a senseless hunt that doesn't do anything at all for the main storyline in the series except (view spoiler), and even though Peter Grant is still witty, it's like a bad par
Lata
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review later.....
Mark Harrison
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Welcome return to London and form in this addition to the series. Drug related death leads Grant and Nightingale back into direct conflict with Lesley and the Faceless Man. Witty and rich with pop culture references that are entirely appropriate and funny. Story is interesting and they totally destroy Harrods on the side. All great fun.
Steven
These books aren't bad. They're really good actually, but the problem is that you always have to push through a long boring beginning before they get to that really good part.

Anyways, this one was more of a 3.5, but I couldn't see rounding it up to 4.
The Folly Irregulars: The Hanging Tree--finished? 75 83 Aug 05, 2018 03:06PM
The Folly Irregulars: The Hanging Tree--just starting 8 21 Mar 02, 2017 11:33AM
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • Four Roads Cross (Craft Sequence, #5)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Heartstrikers, #3)
  • Who Killed Sherlock Holmes? (Shadow Police, #3)
  • Imprudence (The Custard Protocol, #2)
  • The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim, #8)
  • The Nightmare Stacks (Laundry Files, #7)
  • The Wall of Storms (The Dandelion Dynasty, #2)
  • The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
  • Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • Stiletto (The Checquy Files, #2)
  • The Ghoul Vendetta (SPI Files, #4)
  • Legacy of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #8)
  • The Aztlanian (Rithmatist, #2)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London (8 books)
  • Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1)
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
“Hyde Park Corner is what happens when a bunch of urban planners take one look at the grinding circle of gridlock that surrounds the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and think—that’s what we want for our town.” 10 likes
“Boss,’ I said into my Airwave. ‘It’s getting needlessly metaphysical out here.” 10 likes