Start by marking “The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

The Lightning Thief

(Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  1,970,619 ratings  ·  60,378 reviews
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime s ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Lightning Thief, please sign up.
Juli Brom Yeah, pretty much everyone here is 100000000% correct, and by now you should have already read the book, but add to everyone here DUDE THE MOVIES BRIN…moreYeah, pretty much everyone here is 100000000% correct, and by now you should have already read the book, but add to everyone here DUDE THE MOVIES BRING SHAME TO EVERYONE'S RICE FEILDS AND COWS THAT MADE NO SENSE BUT STILL THE BOOK IS LIKE *AHHH FLOATS DOWN FROM OLYMPUS*(less)
Makenzie First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

But yes, definitely read the books! I'm a teenager and I read the books a few years ago, but to this day it's one of my all-time favorite series. Riordan is an amazing writer, and once you start his books, you can't put them down! He does a great job with combining mythology with the modern day, so the stories seem all the more realistic.

While the first book is projected towards a younger audience, it's still action-packed and captivating. As the series progresses, Percy, the main character, grows and gets older so by the final book in the series he's 16, so as he matures, the books get older as well.

I also recommend these books because Rick has a follow-up series, called the Heroes of Olympus Series, which is for an older audience. Some of the characters from the Percy Jackson series carry over, so I recommend reading the first series to better understand the second (and I definitely recommend reading the follow-up series because it's just as good, if not better than the first).

Hope this helped!(less)

·  1,970,619 ratings  ·  60,378 reviews

Start your review of The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
Ela
I'm slightly ashamed to say that I watched the movie before I read the book. But I'm even more ashamed that I watched the movie only to experience the hotness that is Logan Lerman.

But, come on! Someone tell me that this , is not hot:

Really. What did I tell you? (I do imagine that you probably won't read the rest of the review anf just stare at this gif instead, but that's no reason not to like my review! :D)

But, I really have to thank Logan. I really do. Because without his unfreakingbelieveabl
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
A+ Writing
A+ Plot
A+ Characters
A+ MONSTERS

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I wish I hadn't watched the movie before reading it, because I felt like that ruined a bit of enjoyment of this book for me, but for the most part I had such a fun time reading this book and I'm looking forward to continuing on with the series.
chan ☆
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
alright maybe y'all have a point
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: It’s sugar and caffeine: a dulcet pop sonnet moved by rhyming couplets of worldbuilding and perilous confrontation.
Destinee Sutton
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Destinee by: The children of SPL
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Chiron looked surprised. “I thought that would be obvious enough. The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles.
As someone who has worked in Los Angeles, I can tell you that this is completely accurate.

While Harry Potter was spending his summers at the Dursleys, Percy Jackson attended Camp Half-Blood. This book has done the impossible: it has redeemed the name of Percy.

Yes, that's right, that snot-faced, lily-livered waste of air of the very same name from the Harry Potter universe. That
Emily May
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2014
Were you a bit weird in school? Or are you still in school and think you're kinda weird? I mean, everyone is weird, but you know that I mean. Maybe you didn't fit in, maybe people thought you were a bit of a loser. Maybe you had learning difficulties, were a target for bullies, got into trouble a lot, maybe it seemed like your teachers just didn't like you. Maybe you sucked at reading and were even diagnosed with dyslexia. Or ADHD.

Well, don't worry. Truth is, you're actually most likely a child
may ➹
Annabeth: calls Percy a wild animal

me: 🥺🥺 romance 🥺🥺

——————

DISNEY+ ADAPTATION THE GAYS WON WE WON!!!!!!

(if you think I am handling this well I absolutely am not)

——————

all right who’s going to step up and convince me not to reread this for the sixth time....... somebody’s gotta do it and it’s not me

——————

yeah I’ve read this five times and want to reread it again, what about it

——————

I’m crying I love this book and series so much my parents taught me how to read just so I could read this book I can
Nick
Sep 11, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't care if this is middle grade literature. I am starting this soon!
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Believe it or not, but this was actually my first Rick Riordan book!!!

AND

I really enjoyed it!!! *lol*

This was such an epic adventure and I loved the countless hints and references to Greek Mythology! XD Rick Riordan’s approach definitely was a more than just funny one and I couldn’t help but had to laugh out loud whenever Percy opened his mouth!
I swear that young boy is the embodiment of sass and the more I read about him, the more I got attached to this awesome boy! <3 I want to adopt Perseus
Samadrita
EDIT 09/06/2013:- That's it. I have had my fill of too many stupid, brain-cell destroying comments posted on this review in the past few months asking me to write a 'best-selling book' before attempting to take apart Rick Riordan's writing. As if the exclusive privilege of negatively criticizing a book is accorded only to published writers and not ordinary reviewers/readers.
I do have the right to record my feelings about a book in my review. And it's such a shame that I am actually being fo
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I just had to get the illustrated edition! It's so awesome! I will leave some pics below and I took them last night so they are not great shots. =)

There are A LOT more pictures as you can guess. Like I said, sorry about the darkish pics. I was taking them while laying in bed last night. Lol

Happy Reading!

Mel ♥

•••••••••••
First Reading

I am FINALLY getting around to reading this series.

I thought the movies were okay, I do wish they would remake them and make them better, like the books =)

Poor P
Mark Lawrence
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all (I think) of this series to my daughter, Celyn, but somehow this one escaped being reviewed until now.

I half-watched the film a year or two before we read this. Actually it was Rick reading (and being kind enough to review) my own trilogy that steered me toward picking up these books for Celyn (she's very disabled and can't read books for herself).

Anyway, it was a very good read. Celyn enjoyed the action and humour, and I enjoyed seeing the Greek legends I loved reading about as a
Melanie

five stars, because this book just makes me so very happy.

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

Content and Trigger Warnings: bullying, loss of a parent, minor blood depiction, talk of abuse, and arachnophobia.
jessica
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
this is one of the most common books that pops up on my feed. no joke. i probably see this at least a couple times a week, so i finally gave in and read it! yay me! hehe.

i will admit, this is the first time i have read a middle grade novel since i was that age, but i have to hand it to rick riordan. this story is sooo unique, which is hard to do considering how many fantasy novels are out there for young readers. and i have no doubt that, if i had first read when i was a kid, i would have been b
Cara
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Recommended to Cara by: Gerson
Really is there something I could say that hasn't been said? Doubtful, but in utterly stupid human style I will write a review anyway attempting to tell people how cool this book is.

This is plainly an awesome idea. I had always wondered what happened to the kids of half gods/goddess and humans. Here's the story to quench your curiosity. Percy Jackson has been dumped around from border school to border school. He has never been quite like anybody else, but as the end of sixth grade approaches h
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
My inner child is absolutely devastated that I didn't read this series when I was a kid. Percy Jackson was one of those series that was always there, just on the periphery of my social conscious. I knew I should read it, but for one reason or another I gravitated to other things instead.

Thankfully, as an adult who likes reviewing books for fun in my spare time, I have absolutely no shame about reading the series now, even if it was originally intended for a younger audience. In some ways, I thi
emma
A list of reasons I love this book, brought to you by Nostalgia™:

- clickbait chapter titles
- middle grade book that doesn’t write down to its audience
- percy jackson was my first book boyfriend and remains the most iconic of my middle school crushes
- I kind of like him better than harry potter???
- he mails the severed head of a monster to the fucking gods bc they weren't being appreciative enough of him
- basically, the son of the sea god is literally and figuratively salty
- annabeth is only 12 y
karen
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a perfect book for young teenagers. if you were trying to devise a formula for writing a perfect book for this age group, you could not have done much better than this.

1) mysterious parentage. kids are totally self-absorbed. some never grow out of it, of course, but in younger people, it is more excusable - their internal life makes up the majority of their experience, they are used to being the center of attention and they spend a lot of time thinking about themselves and fantasizing. s
Brigid ✩
6/9/20:

Some friends and I are doing a reread of this series in light of the TV series announcement, so yeah! Finished rereading this one for the...fourth time I guess? And I truly never tire of it, still one of my absolute favorite books/series of all time.

I feel like my previous reviews pretty much sum up my thoughts so I’ll just leave it at that haha, anyway my older reviews of it are below.

Yet another review (5/30/14):

Well I feel like I've rewritten/updated my review of this like a billion
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mohammed by: Raoufa Ibrahim
One of the Greatest Urban Fantasy's Beginning I've ever read.

Now as I join Hogwarts every September to May, I'll spend my Summers in Half Blood Camps.
It's awfully late for me, I know. But I was stubborn enough to not listen to 2 of my best half blood friends here on Goodreads to visit the Olympians.
“Gods—the forces you call the Greek gods—are very much alive.”
I can't believe it's just Mr. Rick Riordan’s first novel.
And Believe me if you didn't read it..you missed a real great series..

Very well w
mxa ☂︎
The only word I can think of that’s relevant to how I felt about this book is Fun, Fun, Fun . Why in the world haven’t I picked this book up when I was in middle school, I’ll never know. Lbr, what’s in the past is in the past and I’ll just have to get over the fact that I might have crawled out of my shy shell sooner if these books were in my life earlier. On a positive note, I have the whole series on hand ready for me to binge as well as 2763274 other series to look forward to. that’s #sort ...more
Sabrina
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally I have done it! I’ve read a book by Rick Riordan.

I guess 2019 will be the year of reading books that have been on my bookshelf for thousands of years.

3.5/5 stars ✨
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms
4.5 Golden stars

before I start talking about how awesome this book/series is; I should say:
description

&
second,

"Read Rick Riordan's books in English or you miss half of the FUN!"

I saw that happened!

This Book/Series/Universe is a "must read" to anyone who loves myths, Regardless of Age. (I read it first when I was 22 & fell in love with it immediately by the first sentence (which was the chapter's title!)) though it probably depends on you have active inner child & love mythology in modern days with lots of
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
This was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it.

I can obviously see the similarities to Harry Potter that everyone talks about, but being that I only read the first book in the HP series in 2017...I didn't really care all that much, quite frankly.

I thought Percy's sarcastic wit made for a great narrator and, as always, I love it when mythology is tied into a story in a way I enjoy.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
may ❀

Who knew middle school books could make me gush and squeal like a 12-year old. I loves!!!

description

Can we just appreciate how much FAN ART there is in this fandom???!!!??? ٩(^ᴗ^)۶

“If you’re reading this because you think you might be one, my advice is: close this book right now. Believe whatever lie your mom or dad told you about your birth, and try to lead a normal life.

This book is informative, interesting, funny, charming, it’s just all of the above and I’m already trash.

The Lightening Thief,
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 The Lightning Thief ★★★★☆
#2 The Sea of Monsters ★★★★☆
#3 The Titan’s Curse ★★★★☆
#4 The Battle of the Labyrinth ★★★★★
#5 The Last Olympian ★★★★★

“The real world is where the monsters are.”

First of all, yes, this was actually my first time reading any of Riordan's books. I know, about a decade late on this one, but this book released right as I was reaching that funny teen age where I felt like I had to shift away from MG, into YA, so I kind of turned my nose up at these years ago. As an adult, of
 Teodora
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-app, ya, mythology, fantasy
me: *two months ago* I don't think I'm going to read this any time soon
me: * right now* oh yay Percy Jackson!!
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

“It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.”

Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
First of all: Now I see why so many people are angry at the movies. They’re so different.
I mean, they have some similarities, but in a big way they’re different.
And what can I say? Am I surprised that I liked the book more than the movie?
No, absolutely not.
I liked the movies, but after I saw what the real story should’ve been like, I think they could’ve made more of it.
Sec
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE TIME HAS COME, GUYS. I mean, I bought a copy like months ago and never knowing when I would read it but HERE I AM READING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME. 😎😎

( but I have watched the movie ... and I wish I hadn't watched the movie before reading the book 😭😭but it happened before I became a reader. )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REVIEW TO COME TOMORROW

All I can say now is " FUCK I NEED THE SECOND BOOK "

THE REVIEW IS POSTED

to be honest, few months ago, I tried reading this book and then after
Last one to post is a winner! 20723 2627 2 hours, 31 min ago
Hunger Games Vs. Percy Jackson Series 145 423 Sep 18, 2020 05:39AM
Which greek god/goddess are you a son/daughter of? 203 486 Sep 14, 2020 08:55AM
Addicted to YA: Percy and Annabeth 77 1151 Sep 13, 2020 06:27PM
Addicted to YA: Percy Jackson (Percy Jackson and the Olympians) 40 737 Sep 13, 2020 05:08PM
Addicted to YA: Percy Jackson and the Olympians Quotes 30 721 Sep 13, 2020 05:06PM
Who is your favorite Character? 40 127 Sep 13, 2020 03:41PM

• Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • Comic Book for Blood of Olympus
  • The Son of Neptune: The Graphic Novel (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (5 books)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)

Articles featuring this book

“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” 8644 likes
“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.” 5743 likes