Start by marking “The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

The Lightning Thief

(Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  2,537,365 ratings  ·  79,111 reviews
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime s ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Lightning Thief, please sign up.
Ximena whaaaaa? the books are soooo good!! the reason is that the movies try to fit all the good details in 1 hour! try that! the movies based on books, like…morewhaaaaa? the books are soooo good!! the reason is that the movies try to fit all the good details in 1 hour! try that! the movies based on books, like the movie home, are terrible compared to the books!(less)

·  2,537,365 ratings  ·  79,111 reviews

Start your review of The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
Ela
I'm slightly ashamed to say that I watched the movie before I read the book. But I'm even more ashamed that I watched the movie only to experience the hotness that is Logan Lerman.

But, come on! Someone tell me that this , is not hot:

Really. What did I tell you? (I do imagine that you probably won't read the rest of the review anf just stare at this gif instead, but that's no reason not to like my review! :D)

But, I really have to thank Logan. I really do. Because without his unfreakingbelieveabl
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
A+ Writing
A+ Plot
A+ Characters
A+ MONSTERS

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I wish I hadn't watched the movie before reading it, because I felt like that ruined a bit of enjoyment of this book for me, but for the most part I had such a fun time reading this book and I'm looking forward to continuing on with the series.
chan ☆
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
alright maybe y'all have a point ...more
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: It’s sugar and caffeine: a dulcet pop sonnet moved by rhyming couplets of worldbuilding and perilous confrontation.
Destinee Sutton
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Chiron looked surprised. “I thought that would be obvious enough. The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles.
As someone who has worked in Los Angeles, I can tell you that this is completely accurate.

While Harry Potter was spending his summers at the Dursleys, Percy Jackson attended Camp Half-Blood. This book has done the impossible: it has redeemed the name of Percy.

Yes, that's right, that snot-faced, lily-livered waste of air of the very same name from the Harry Potter universe. That
may ➹
Annabeth: calls Percy a wild animal

me: 🥺🥺 romance 🥺🥺

——————

DISNEY+ ADAPTATION THE GAYS WON WE WON!!!!!!

(if you think I am handling this well I absolutely am not)

——————

all right who’s going to step up and convince me not to reread this for the sixth time....... somebody’s gotta do it and it’s not me

——————

yeah I’ve read this five times and want to reread it again, what about it

——————

I’m crying I love this book and series so much my parents taught me how to read just so I could read this book I can
Emily May
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fantasy, young-adult
Were you a bit weird in school? Or are you still in school and think you're kinda weird? I mean, everyone is weird, but you know that I mean. Maybe you didn't fit in, maybe people thought you were a bit of a loser. Maybe you had learning difficulties, were a target for bullies, got into trouble a lot, maybe it seemed like your teachers just didn't like you. Maybe you sucked at reading and were even diagnosed with dyslexia. Or ADHD.

Well, don't worry. Truth is, you're actually most likely a child
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: Revival by amping, old myths, modern camping, showcases America in Greek esoterica, a clever, kinetic, revamping.
Tharindu Dissanayake
"You need to study war, punk."

Given how well received this book is (and the entire series), I was looking forward to continue my fantasy to-read list with Percy Jackson and the Olympians for a while now. I know it's children's book, but when has that ever stopped me.. But still, one cannot help but be somewhat anxious while starting a new series, for things could go either way. And when things turn out better than expected - like it did with Lightening Thief - life is beautiful. This is a wonder
Zoe (Marauders version)

HJFJSJDKJFKSJDKAJSJSJDJSJ THEY JUST RELEASED A TEASER ITS SO GOOD AND IT STAYS CLOSE TO THE BOOK, IT LOOKS SO GOOD 😭😭😭 IM CRYING THIS IS PERFECT

GO LOOK FOR YOURSELVES

Okay hello i'm back with updates we now have a Dionysus, Alecto, Sally, Chiron, Luke, Clarisse, Gab and Nancy.

Here they are:

This is Dionysus AND HES LITERALLY PERFECT HE LOOKS CRAZY ALREADY AND THAT SCENE IN BROOKLYN 99 HES PERFECTION

Alecto:

And Sally:

SHE LOOKS SO KIND I LOVE THATTT

CHIRON HE LOOKS SO KI
NickReads
Sep 11, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't care if this is middle grade literature. I am starting this soon! ...more
Samadrita
EDIT 09/06/2013:- That's it. I have had my fill of too many stupid, brain-cell destroying comments posted on this review in the past few months asking me to write a 'best-selling book' before attempting to take apart Rick Riordan's writing. As if the exclusive privilege of negatively criticizing a book is accorded only to published writers and not ordinary reviewers/readers.
I do have the right to record my feelings about a book in my review. And it's such a shame that I am actually being fo
Mark Lawrence
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read all (I think) of this series to my daughter, Celyn, but somehow this one escaped being reviewed until now.

I half-watched the film a year or two before we read this. Actually it was Rick reading (and being kind enough to review) my own trilogy that steered me toward picking up these books for Celyn (she's very disabled and can't read books for herself).

Anyway, it was a very good read. Celyn enjoyed the action and humour, and I enjoyed seeing the Greek legends I loved reading about as a
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
“The real world is where the monsters are.”

Believe it or not, but this was actually my first Rick Riordan book!!!

AND

I really enjoyed it!!! *lol*

This was such an epic adventure and I loved the countless hints and references to Greek Mythology! XD Rick Riordan’s approach definitely was a more than just funny one and I couldn’t help but had to laugh out loud whenever Percy opened his mouth!
I swear that young boy is the embodiment of sass and the more I read about him, the more I got attached to t
Sofia
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Chapter One: I Accidentally Vaporize the Person who Tried to Take this Book Away from Me

Look, I didn't want to be obsessed.
If you're reading this because you think you're only going to read The Lightning Thief once, my advice is: close this book right now. Believe whatever lie your mom or dad told you about binge-reading, and try to be a normal person.
Being obsessed with this book is dangerous. It's scary. Most of the time, it gets you killed because you want to read it just one more time.
I
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I just had to get the illustrated edition! It's so awesome! I will leave some pics below and I took them last night so they are not great shots. =)

There are A LOT more pictures as you can guess. Like I said, sorry about the darkish pics. I was taking them while laying in bed last night. Lol

Happy Reading!

Mel ♥

•••••••••••
First Reading

I am FINALLY getting around to reading this series.

I thought the movies were okay, I do wish they would remake them and make them better, like the books =)

Poor P
Melanie

five stars, because this book just makes me so very happy.

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

Content and Trigger Warnings: bullying, loss of a parent, minor blood depiction, talk of abuse, and arachnophobia.
 Teodora
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-app, ya, mythology, fantasy
me: *two months ago* I don't think I'm going to read this any time soon
me: * right now* oh yay Percy Jackson!!

I'd lie if I'd say I did not enjoy this :D

(Book-styled)
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
My inner child is absolutely devastated that I didn't read this series when I was a kid. Percy Jackson was one of those series that was always there, just on the periphery of my social conscious. I knew I should read it, but for one reason or another I gravitated to other things instead.

Thankfully, as an adult who likes reviewing books for fun in my spare time, I have absolutely no shame about reading the series now, even if it was originally intended for a younger audience. In some ways, I thi
jessica
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
this is one of the most common books that pops up on my feed. no joke. i probably see this at least a couple times a week, so i finally gave in and read it! yay me! hehe.

i will admit, this is the first time i have read a middle grade novel since i was that age, but i have to hand it to rick riordan. this story is sooo unique, which is hard to do considering how many fantasy novels are out there for young readers. and i have no doubt that, if i had first read when i was a kid, i would have been b
Cara
Really is there something I could say that hasn't been said? Doubtful, but in utterly stupid human style I will write a review anyway attempting to tell people how cool this book is.

This is plainly an awesome idea. I had always wondered what happened to the kids of half gods/goddess and humans. Here's the story to quench your curiosity. Percy Jackson has been dumped around from border school to border school. He has never been quite like anybody else, but as the end of sixth grade approaches h
Ishika
Jun 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The song is Thunder by Imagine Dragons.

(view spoiler)
karen
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a perfect book for young teenagers. if you were trying to devise a formula for writing a perfect book for this age group, you could not have done much better than this.

1) mysterious parentage. kids are totally self-absorbed. some never grow out of it, of course, but in younger people, it is more excusable - their internal life makes up the majority of their experience, they are used to being the center of attention and they spend a lot of time thinking about themselves and fantasizing. s
Reading_ Tamishly
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Imagine my eyes bleeding after reading non-stop for almost 6 hours holding the book rolling on my bed, pacing nervously in my room and actually telling myself to calm down every 10 minutes because things are happening too fast in the book)

*Imagine Rick Riordan obsessed with Hilary Duff's So Yesterday* (it was fun to know how while reading this book ☺️)

Dear Peter Johnson 😁😁
(If you remember this particular line from the book, you know what I mean)

🖤 4 stars 🖤 for all that if-you-are-not-running
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms
4.5 Golden stars

before I start talking about how awesome this book/series is; I should say:
description

&
second,

"Read Rick Riordan's books in English or you miss half the FUN!"

I saw that happened!

This Book/Series/Universe is a "must read" to anyone who loves myths, Regardless of Age. {for proof: I read it first when I was 22 & fell in love immediately by the first sentences! (which was the chapter's title!)} though it probably depends on you have active inner child & love mythology in modern days with lots o
Kelsey (munnyreads)
It's been like 15 years since I first read Percy Jackson and I think my favorite part of the book was where the magic pearls (like the ones they spent literally the entire movie adaptation chasing down) were just straight up being handed over to Percy in like a sentence lol. Ah well.

I still love this series, even though I am now Grovers age and not Percys anymore.
The Lightning Thief was one of the first books I read that really kickstarted my love for reading and I'm delighted to feel that it
Brigid ✩
6/9/20:

Some friends and I are doing a reread of this series in light of the TV series announcement, so yeah! Finished rereading this one for the...fourth time I guess? And I truly never tire of it, still one of my absolute favorite books/series of all time.

I feel like my previous reviews pretty much sum up my thoughts so I’ll just leave it at that haha, anyway my older reviews of it are below.

Yet another review (5/30/14):

Well I feel like I've rewritten/updated my review of this like a billion
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the Greatest Urban Fantasy's Beginning I've ever read.

Now as I join Hogwarts every September to May, I'll spend my Summers in Half Blood Camps.
It's awfully late for me, I know. But I was stubborn enough to not listen to 2 of my best half blood friends here on Goodreads to visit the Olympians.
“Gods—the forces you call the Greek gods—are very much alive.”
I can't believe it's just Mr. Rick Riordan’s first novel.
And Believe me if you didn't read it..you missed a real great series..

Very well w
The Burning Rose (Jess)
I found a file on my computer with pictures of percabeth fanarts and felt the urge to re-read this masterpiece.
Read it in one breath. YES YES YES. I miss all of these characters 🖤
Last one to post is a winner! 20556 2723 2 hours, 20 min ago
~ THIS NAME OR THAT NAME ~ 92 118 Sep 20, 2022 01:19PM
Favorite God/Goddess 101 175 Sep 16, 2022 10:21AM
ya fantasy bookclub: Percy Jackson 41 27 Sep 15, 2022 10:39AM
Play Book Tag: The lightning Thief by Rick Riordan - 5 stars 1 8 Sep 06, 2022 04:45AM

• Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
  • Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • The Hobbit
  • The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
See top shelves…
Rick Riordan is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of many books, including the Percy Jackson series. You can follow him on Twitter and via his official website.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (5 books)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)

Articles featuring this book

“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” 9299 likes
“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.” 6086 likes