Start by marking “100 Places Every Woman Should Go” as Want to Read:
100 Places Every Woman Should Go

100 Places Every Woman Should Go

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  309 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
With its breezy reviews and insightful advice, 100 Places Every Woman Should Go encourages women of any age to see the world — in a group, with a friend, or solo — and inspires them to create their own list of dreams. Based on her own explorations of many countries, states, and regions, and on interviews with travelers, award-winning author Stephanie Elizondo Griest highli ...more
Published February 5th 2007 by Travelers' Tales

To ask other readers questions about 100 Places Every Woman Should Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Places Every Woman Should Go

Lavinia
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this is a must for all you female vagabonds!
Betty
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Thumbnail sketches of the 100 places. Most would probably be interesting to entire family. Would require further reading to plan a whole trip but these may give you some unique ideas. Further good resources at the end of each chapter.
Shaynipper
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is so much of the United States I haven't seen and this book has been an inspiration for trips I'd like to make. I've started planning road trips so now I need to find some traveling companions. So if you're up for some adventures - I'm your gal.
Stacey
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a fun and easybook to read. It got me to think about a lot of places I'd never considered visiting before. I also really enjoyed the 100th place to go as it was unexpected. My qualms however were that when she described the places I had visited, she usually left out all of my favorite experiences. The book seemed to be aimed at artsy, feminist, party-goers. Also, she provided street addresses in the text of many locations which was annoying to read through and could have been in an append ...more
Kconrad2k
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoirs
The sections the book was divided into gave me some ideas for travel pieces that I might want to write. There a section on Places of Indulgence which include things like Champagne, France, Famed Chocolate Sites, and Česky Krumlove. It also includes Sexiest Lingerie Shops which I'll pass on. There is also a section on Places of Womanly Affirmation. I was surprised to see Belly Dancing in Austin, Texas listed! The recommended reading at the end of suggested site looks like something I might follow ...more
Intplibrarian
May 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
So much potential lost

Great idea; poor platform

Would have been great as, perhaps, a wiki, a website

Why recommend places where women cannot travel without a male companion?? NO advice on how safe a locale is for women, in particular.

Sometimes a chapter is a place, sometimes it's a "genre" -- confusing

Sometimes the "woman" connection is totally missing. It's just a recommended place to travel.

And the index is useless on the e-book. A list of words. No page numbers, no links.

OTOH, I DO think this w
Molly
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this along with my daily morning readings - loads of places I would love to go and quite a few I wouldn't and many to which I've already been - and if time and money allowed - I'd return. I liked the final chapter - Visiting the Motherland - encouraging each of us to explore the land from which our immigrant ancestors began their journeys. Back to Ireland, then to Scotland and England and Tasmania and who knows where else - sign me up!
Cassandra Spencer
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
For a World Traveler Confirmed Too Many Stereotypes.

I have visited almost as many places as the author and have done some in depth exploration. During my travels I have discovered that meeting the people and going back to the basics is the most powerful way to connect with others. This books seems to be a stretch and narrowly defines what it means to be a female traveller. The only items I found interesting were the tips on safe travel. Really disappointing.
Lindsay
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I confess I only skimmed for the places I'd like to visit, but it seems pretty good. While there are a lot of stereotypical female items in here, I do appreciate that it doesn't rely mostly on Western Europe as it better reflects my ultimate travel goals. I'm sure I'll want to check it out from the library again or maybe even buy it...though it would be awesome if newer editions continue to be published.
Angie
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I am not all the way finished with this book but I am enjoying getting through it slowly. Not exactly what I had in mind but it has a lot of good information and history of places to visit all over the world- and it should really apply to any kind of woman, there are sections that suggest places to get pampered and also places to have grand adventures!
Kathy
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
I definitely took notes as I went through this book as there are some places within places that intrigued me (especially the places of indulgence). Unfortunately, just like all travel guides tend to do, it has become dated in several places. The author and I have the same taste in travelling, I'd say! Time for a new edition though!
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a fantastic reference for anyone who wants to adventure into parts of the world and get the most out of it. It is a bent toward women but anyone can find the places fascinating. I liked that there was further reading suggestions and URL's for research as well as tour suggestions. I took this book out of the library but plan to buy it so I can use it when I am planning an adventure.
Lynn Sherman
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
At first I thought this book was a waste. The more I read the more I enjoyed it. There were so many ideas of thing to do and see. Even if you can't go to the exact place, the book had great ideas for travel.
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this would be a collection of travel essays, and it's actually more of a guidebook, but it was still a great read, and made me wish I had the resources to travel to oh, pretty much everywhere. Croatia, anyone?
Joan
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it
I browsed this one and would call it places women COULD visit. There are certainly several that I have no interest in: Rawanda, Iran, Skydiving and bungee-jumping. The short articles were interesting and informative. Note to travel partners: Clare Island, Ireland.
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
I could not resist the temptation, there is entries for sexist shops, famous women writers and their creative nooks, places of indulgence to name a few. This will be one of my daily reads.
Melanie Carver
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
This is a nice collection of travel spots for women. It fueled my imagination for places I'd like to visit someday. For now, I'll just be an armchair traveler!
Gail Fligstein
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book inspired me to start a wish list for vacations. San Cristobal de las Casas and Cuba stand out. Fun for a quick read.
Danielle Mccoy
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
It made me want to travel again. My wanderlust is calling me to go to one of these cities or stops on a tour of shopping and adventures. Great bathroom and falling asleep book.
Rebecca Akins
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
fun to flip through
Stephanie
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It spoke about places I never would have thought about going to. I liked how the author provided info about the diff. places like websites.
Susan
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, non-fiction
Provides great ideas for travel -- inspires wanderlust.
Nicole
Jan 02, 2017 added it
For a travel book it was strange that it didn't have any photos but otherwise I really enjoyed it!
Joan
Dec 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Incredibly hokey, and not for the sophisticated traveler. I should have known just from the title!
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an interesting perspective on travel based on what some women may want out of travel. I like the history bits on historical woman and some safety tips, etc.
K
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
I immediately liked this so much, I put down the library copy to order one for myself.

It is very America-centric, but I still loved it!
Dana
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
After reading "Around the Bloc" I was excited for this next author's book. Travel selections are good, but the list on travel "how to's" is disappointing.
Jordán Judit
  • Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
  • 501 Must-Visit Destinations
  • Expat: Women's True Tales of Life Abroad
  • Nothing to Declare: Memoirs of a Woman Traveling Alone
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • Braving Home: Dispatches from the Underwater Town, the Lava-Side Inn, and Other Extreme Locales
  • Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo
  • Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World
  • The Smart Traveler's Passport

$17.99 $1.99
  • John Quincy Adams
    $12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
    $17.99 $1.99
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Hole in Our Gospel Special Edition: What Does God Expect of Us? The Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World
    $10.99 $1.99