Start by marking “The Yellow Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
The Yellow Fairy Book

The Yellow Fairy Book

(Coloured Fairy Books #4)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,940 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Experience great adventures in the company of Kings and Queens, talking animals and magical creatures in the fourth stunning volume A cat had made acquaintance with a mouse, and had spoken so much of the great love and friendship she felt for her, that at last the Mouse consented to live in the same house with her, and to go shares in the housekeeping. 'But we must provide ...more
Published March 1st 2015 by Hesperus Press (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yellow Fairy Book

Hiba Arrame
Haven't quite enjoyed it as much as the previous tomes, I've considered some stories to be a bit vulgar to be read to kids.
Cindy Rollins
If fairy stories can't get a five-star rating then what is our standard? Five stars to Andrew Lang and his magnificent collection of colored fairy stories. This Yellow one is one of my favorites. Real fairy stories with real consequences.
Bev
I grew up with a copy of Andrew Lang's The Blue Fairy Book. I loved that hardback edition of fairy tales. I read it and reread it and reread it. At that time, I had no idea that there were a whole set of color fairy tales to be had. But I had such fond memories of it that when I spied a modern edition of The Yellow Fairy Book at our Friends of the Library Book Shop in 2015, I just had to bring it home with me. I have to admit that it wasn't as spellbinding to my adult self as that first fairy ta ...more
Jaclyn
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ammp-fairytales
My rating as more to do with the narration of the audiobook rather than the fairy tales. The actual fairy tales were ok. Some were more interesting than others. However, the narration was awful. Each narrator read in such a bored voice that it was very difficult to be interested in what they were reading. I may have enjoyed the book more if I had read it rather than listened to it. If I decide to read another of the color fairy books, I will definitely skip the audio version.
Jennifer Girard
I feel like I saw pretty much the same thing in all my reviews for these books but it was enjoyable. Some were boring and other were good.
Mary Catelli
This is the one in which the tales really start to branch out.  There are a couple of literary tales that I didn't much like, but a lot more places.  Greek.  Polish.  Bukowinaer.  Iclelandic.  A few from North America.  I particularly liked The Golden Crab, The Flower-Queen's Daughter (in which dragons ride horses and go to dances where humans can dance, too), The Grateful Beasts, The Witch in the Stone Boat, and The Blue Mountains.
Josh Parr
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the Lang books are required reading. Pre- Joseph Campbell panoramas of history's imagination. Great illustrations and grittier lessons than any Disney wants to teach.
Kayla Arnold
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm glad that I took the time to read some old fairy tales, most of which I've never heard before. The only thing I didn't like was that it was so mentally exhausting to read a whole story in just a few pages.
Cait
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, ebook, fantasy
Didn't realise that this was the fourth book in the series of fairy books until I started it. It's a collection of stories though they can be read out of order.

Some of the stories were retelling earlier ones in the book or were kind of repetitious but I guess that's kind of the nature of fairy tales.

There were some really funny little bits or lines in the stories. Some were even pretty dark.
Brookeworm
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all the fairy books by Andrew Lang. :-)
Amy "the book-bat"
A lot of similarities in stories... I guess because they are from different countries and the books are showing that different countries have similar fairy tales?
✨Jinglemarco✨  Маркуша - Мишутка (Nursery rhymes enthusiast)*

A nice collection in the colored fairytales series, and the drawings are delightful, as usual!
An Odd1
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fan
48 tales. Two famous are The Emperor's New Clothes and How to tell a true Princess aka The Princess and the Pea. The details may not be as memorable as the moral, such as loyalty in The Steadfast Tin Soldier. Variations can change a sad ending to happy. 104 illustrations - 22 plates, 82 woodcuts.

1 The Cat and the Mouse in Partnership 1
7 The Dragon and his Grandmother 38
8 The
Stuart
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Yellow Fairy Book contains 48 tales, if I counted correctly. This collection contains two very well known tales in Thumbelina and the Emperor's New Clothes, a personal favorite of mine. There is also my wife's and most girls favorite How to Tell a True Princess. Many might not recognize it by this title, but if I told you that it involved a princess, a bunch of mattresses, and a pea, you would immediately know the story. In fact, I know a few people who tried this very test when they were li ...more
LobsterQuadrille
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairy tale fans, classic lit fans
I enjoyed this book a lot, as it is full of classic tales from around the world. There are stories compiled from Russia, Iceland, Poland, and many other places. There are Hans Christian Andersen stories, and some Native American legends tossed into the mix. The illustrations are exquisite, and though the writing is more formal in style, so you have to read carefully to avoid missing details, the tone of the writing matches the fantastical tales. Overall, this fairy tale collection is beautifully ...more
Erik
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the other book I got for Christmas last week. This was probably the first of Andrew Lang's Fairy Books that I exposed myself to (all the way back in 2013), and I'm glad to finally have a copy of my own. This one has quite a selection, including stories by Hans Christian Andersen and the Brothers Grimm, as well as stories from other parts of Europe as well as some Native American stories. I think this is the book with the most stories out of all of Andrew Lang's books (I think The Olive F ...more
Dara Salley
This was a fairly interesting collection of fairy tales from all over the world. I think the stories would probably be better as told by a story-teller, instead of reading them on a page. When reading them they come across as a bare statement of fact, almost like a newspaper report. They also tend to be somewhat repetitive. I guess you have to use your imagination to make them interesting!

I’ve read fairy tales since I was a child but it never ceases to astonish me how violent they are. People co
Jenn
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Another beautiful book with amazing stories. I particularly enjoyed the native american fairy tales in this book. Also, as I continue to read these fairy tale series a few things stand out:

One, we will ALWAYS make mistakes.
Two, we should always try to persever and correct out mistakes, which hopefully will be rewarded in the end (and maybe not the way we thought we would be rewarded!)
Three, love is really a powerful force, and that there is infatuation (which during this time, dumb mistakes are
Elinor  Loredan
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I started out loving the stories, then they got less enchanting and more redundant and brutal. Favorites:

The Dragon of the North
The Golden Crab
The Little Green Frog
The Crow
The Seven-Headed Serpent (rather anticlimactic at the end, and how could that king live with himself, sending young people to die every year? But somehow I liked the atmosphere of the story)
The Grateful Beasts
The Wizard King (I feel sympathy with him--he just couldn't force it, could he?)
Fairer Than a Fairy
The Death of the Sun
Christiane
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Lang collected fairy and folk tales from all over the world in his "color" collections. It's a great way to read unfamiliar tales, and also to see how much similarity there is in stories from different cultures. Everyone seems to have a version of the Cinderella story for example. Oh, and step-mothers are always wicked and the first two sons or daughters might as well stay home because it's always the third child who is destined to succeed.
Rojai Williams
this book has a lot of interesting stories from many different parts of the world.this book has many interesting fairy tale like why the mouse dont like cats and why the dragons do let people know they exist and some of these stories haves morals and some of these don't but either way you can still enjoy them because some people can relate to them or they cant baecause ther so ....well out of this world and into another
Warren Rochelle
I set myself a goal of reading all the Lang color fairy tale collections--so far, blue, red, green, and now, yellow. Pink is next. I remember reading somewhere Robin McKinley had done the same thing and and as she is a writer I admire, I thought doing so was worth emulating. I know I read many of the collections as a child, but that was back when I was in elementary school and I am finding I remember the covers than the stories. It's fun.
Sandy Carlson
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Fairy Tales from the 19th century Fairy Tale Master.

The Yellow Fairy Book, the 4th in the 12-book series edited by Andrew Lang, takes us once more around the world, visiting various countries and exploring legends and tales. The 48 tales in this book come from Russia, Germany, France, Iceland, Native Americans, and other locations. Although they were adapted to fit the minds of young English children, the essence of the tales remain true.
Alyssa Lane
I still wasn't crazy about it (I really want stories with morals and good points to them, especially if they're for children) but I will say I liked this one a lot better than I liked Blue and Red. Some of the stories were quirky and a bit more fun in this volume. It's almost a 3 star but not quite.. Maybe the next one.
Synthia Green
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading and finding similarities in modern stories, movies & TV Series (Snow White & The Huntsman 2012, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid). How is it that so many different cultures share the same content: Plot...Characterization...Imagery*
Don Gubler
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The yellow and blue are my favorites.
Sara
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read this recently, as an adult, and have to admit I was disappointed. Still great resource but found the stories redundant and oddly boring...
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Books Yellow, Red, and Green and Blue,
All true, or just as good as true,
And here's the Yellow Book for YOU!

Andrew Lang

Kuning..1897
03/24/13
Heathyr
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairy tales were not always made to have happy endings. Now out of print I have this and the Red Fairy book on my bookshelf. I grew up reading these. I can only wish every child gets to read these.
Rebecca
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this might have been my favorite collection so far - or maybe it was just that I think I've gotten the most ideas for fairytale retellings from this one :)
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • Black Heart, Ivory Bones
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Fearless Girls, Wise Women & Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the World
  • Celtic Fairy Tales
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm
  • Forbidden Journeys: Fairy Tales and Fantasies by Victorian Women Writers
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh

Coloured Fairy Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • The Brown Fairy Book
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • The Olive Fairy Book
“Again, if there are really no fairies, why do people believe in them, all over the world? The ancient Greeks believed, so did the old Egyptians, and the Hindoos, and the Red Indians, and is it likely, if there are no fairies, that so many different peoples would have seen and heard them?” 5 likes
“Letters from the first were planned to guide us into Fairy Land.” 4 likes