Start by marking “Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula” as Want to Read:
Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula

Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  803 Ratings  ·  204 Reviews
Princess Decomposia is overworked and underappreciated.

This princess of the underworld has plenty of her own work to do but always seems to find herself doing her layabout father's job, as well. The king doesn't feel quite well, you see. Ever. So the princess is left scurrying through the halls, dodging her mummy, werewolf, and ghost subjects, always running behind and alw
Published February 24th 2015 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula, please sign up.
Tye Emert When I read the book I took it that Princess Decoposia is like the Daughter of Death taken from the word 'decomposition' or to decompose and to make…moreWhen I read the book I took it that Princess Decoposia is like the Daughter of Death taken from the word 'decomposition' or to decompose and to make rotten which is ironic because her character isn't that of a rotten princess but sweet. King Wulfrun I'm not entirely sure but I took it that he's like Hades and father to the underworld. I hope this helped ya in some way.(less)

Cyndi
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is so cute! It's an underworld romance. The King of the Underworld has become a hypochondriac. He has taken to his bed and has left the kingdom to his daughter to handle. But he still has the last word on all decisions and wants his daughter to wait on him bony hand and bony foot.
The palace chef quits and Count Spatula is hired. He is a vampire with a sweet tooth. He likes sweets so much that he has lost a lot of teeth.
So he finds his way into her heart with delicious bake
First Second Books
Mar 04, 2015 marked it as first-second-publications
We're so delighted to be publishing this absolutely charming book by Andi Watson!

Who can resist the power of solving diplomatic problems through magical baking? I mean, seriously. I myself found magical-baking-diplomacy extremely difficult to resist.

This book is adorable and lovely and it's all about workplace problems in a very light and approachable way, which I think is just super.

Yay!
Sesana
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Kind of cute, but it felt rushed and unfinished. The art was somewhat inconsistent, especially noticeable on Princess Decomposia's hair. She has a unique hairstyle, which makes it obvious when it's been drawn off model. The story was ok, but it could have been better with more development. Much of the book felt like filler, and even though I thought those were the best parts, it made the thin plot even more noticeable.
David Schaafsma
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great title, especially for a kid's graphic novel, eh? Not scary, even in the R. L. Stine sense. Takes place in the underworld, with an overworked princess and her (maybe) ill father, King Wulfrun, and (especially) Count Spatula, who develops a close relationship to the princess. She seems very young at first, under her Daddy's thumb, but not too young for love, looks like. The rest of the world is populated with zombies, vampires, ghosts, and so on. The big reveals have to do with 1) the prince ...more
Mandy
I thought this would be a lot cuter than I thought it was going to be? Like, I mean, it was cute and all, but it wasn't super super super adorable and funny, which I thought it was going to be. So, yeah, there's that.

First item on the list is that I thought the art was great. It reminds me of the comic strips that I read back when I was younger, and it's definitely a different type of graphic novel than I've been reading. I thought the sketches were quite nicely done and quite pleasing. A lot o
Jessica
Marvelously charming! The illustrations are unique in that while the characters may be the undead it alights within the reader a warm and fuzzy glow. It’s like watching the young Gomez & Morticia (You know, if, the Addams family ever decided to be rulers over an undead kingdom and have us watch this amazing romance budding throughout at least the first few episodes).

cute

Princess Decomposia takes care of her unwell father, and runs a kingdom simultaneously. She is usually too busy to eat, much l
Carrie
Very cute
JD Estrada
A quick and sweet little read, Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula is an inventive little story about a princess of the Underworld who has to cope with a nagging manipulating and whiny king father, who is so nitpicky that the staff rarely lasts too long.

Enter Count Spatula, a pastry chef of the likes never seen in the Underworld, whose lemon drizzle cake is unlike ANY other lemon drizzle cake or cake for that matter.

Whimsical, fun, silly, and sweet. A great read for younger audiences or if yo
Erin 신애린 Shin
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
this book is fun and a quick read.
Raina
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute story about a princess attempting to do good amidst counterproductive odds. With sweet vampire chef.

I wanted this to win me over just a bit more, but I can't think of anything bad to say about it besides the fact that Decomposia is the only female-presenting character of note.

Maybe it would have helped kick it up a notch if it had been in color, and if a bit more attention had been paid to detailing the food. The parts that really stand out in my head are the bits where they're presenting
Skye Kilaen
SO CUTE! And full of monsters. What more could you want?

To add a few more details, though, it's about Princess Decomposia, who is running herself ragged with royal work while her father malingers. She's never really thought about how unfair that is. She hasn't had a minute to think, she's too busy! Then a new chef arrives to work at the palace. Count Spatula is a vampire who lost his fangs to his passion for sweets, and he quickly determines that the Princess could really use a break. And some
Dana

Provided by the publisher for review via NetGalley.

This is such a delightful and charming little romance. It's about the very busy Princess Decomposia (Dee to her friends) who does all of the hard work of running the Underworld for her "very sick" father. Along comes the new cook, Count Spatula who cares for Dee not only by reminding her to eat, but also by giving her the push to stand up for herself and take time out to enjoy life.

The artwork is simplistic without being dull and while it would
Sam
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful story that embodies the traditional love story with truly dark and Gothic styling. Each of the characters are superbly written and simply and beautifully illustrated, letting the story speak for itself. And you really can't beat a cake loving vampire baker really, can you? An excellent little read.
Michael
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
PDF - I've typically enjoyed Andi's work in the past. This book, however, felt rushed and slight. Looser, sloppier artwork can feel alive and kinetic, but not here - it feels incomplete and rushed. The script needs a good twist that never arrives to get it out of its cookie-cutter rut. Watson's turned in some terrific comics in the past, but this one falls flat.
Kelly
Weirdly charming, though the graphic side didn't do it as much for me as the story itself.
Carol
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula by Andi Watson
3★'s my rating
5★'s Brian's rating - He'd give them all 5's:)

What's it About?
Princess Decomposia is overworked and underappreciated. This princess of the underworld has plenty of her own work to do but always seems to find herself doing her layabout father's job, as well. The king doesn't feel quite well, you see. Ever. So the princess is left scurrying through the halls, dodging her mummy, werewolf, and ghost subjects, always running behind an
Matthew Brady
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an Andi Watson graphic novel, so of course it's cute. It's about the princess of an underworld kingdom populated with mummies, zombies, ghosts, and the like, and she's exhausted because her father is kind of domineering, but also expects her to do all the work. She ends up hiring the other title character as the palace chef, and hijinx ensue, although they are mostly of the sort involving what delightful dishes he will cook and how her father will react. It's kind of a low-conflict story ...more
Relatively cute story, but the art is very sketchy and rough looking. The king is rather off putting character, but he does seem to be making efforts to change once he sees the error of his ways. The count is a sweetheart. Decomposia is a good person and seems to be trying so hard to do all the things she needs to do.
Ariel
Nov 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, did-not-finish
DNF
Margie aka The Bumble Girl
Fun, imaginative and adorable - this graphic novel had me smiling the whole entire time! This amusing little story not only brought on some much needed laughter, it also gives insight to family matters, being brave and how a friendship can possibly blossom into more.

Let's start with Princess Decomposia! The Princess is unbelievably understanding, thoughtful, helpful and caring. Her father, King Wulfrun, has been "ill" for quite some time now and heavily depends on his daughter to take on his re
Nicola Mansfield
On first look, this delightful book appears deceptively simplistic. Cute black and white illustrations are accompanied by a story that starts out with a busy princess and a grouchy king. However hidden inside these pages is a lovely story about love and friendship full of humour that made me grin, chuckle and sigh. Oh, and it takes place in the underworld, is populated with zombies, vampires, ghosts and such. The princess and the count are adorable ageless characters; the princess is young enoug ...more
Whitney
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This was cute. But I felt vaguely depressed while reading it, and very sorry for Princess Decomposia, who was so overworked she couldn't even take a day off. This seemed more like a parable for the modern adult than a middle grade book, so I compromised and tagged it as young adult. Teens could definitely relate to Decomposia, who feels torn between love and loyalty to her father and her budding friendship and romance with Count Spatula.
Alex
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
"But pudding is essential to happiness!"

As a dude, I've always been jealous of vampires. All the ladies love them because they're brooding and sexy and dangerous, but a vampire that loves to bake? Might as well just crawl into a cave and bemoan my critical lack of game.

Despite my jealousy of Count Spatula, this was a great little book. It had undead creatures, licorice umbrellas and lemony drizzle clouds--what more could you ask for?
Leah
Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula was an absolute delight! It took all of fifteen minutes to get through (if that!) and was a joy the entire time. Before you even begin reading, you can easily guess at how the story will play out, what lessons the characters will learn, how it will all end, but I quickly realized I didn’t mind one bit; the journey there was half the fun!
Xander
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
OMG this book was so damn cute ... I saw the cover at my local library and didn't even look to see what the book was about I just grabbed it and took it home ... Great story ... Adorable characters ... All in all a great read
Jenny
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A charming, funny, delightfully British graphic novel for middle grade/YA.
Aimee
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, graphic-novels
This graphic novel was so cute and sweet! perfect for an easy read.
Carrie Shaurette
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The cartoony artwork perfectly suits this quirky romance of an overworked princess and a vampire chef. Delicious!
Ariel Caldwell
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Young people the world over will relate to Princess Decomposia - especially youth who are left to deal with difficult tasks their parents should be doing, but aren't. (Caring for brothers and sisters? Organizing the grocery list, cooking, or organizing rides to sports? Picking up the emotional pieces, forging permission slips, making excuses to teachers/friends/family?)

This was a very cute story with more punch than I expected. Princess Decomposia is super-capable, reliable, sweet, and dedicate
  • Rutabaga the Adventure Chef (Adventure Chef #1)
  • Human Body Theater
  • Little Robot
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
  • Unicorn on a Roll (Heavenly Nostrils, #2)
  • Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015a) #1
  • Last of the Sandwalkers
  • The Thief and the Sword (Cleopatra in Space, #2)
  • Monster on the Hill
  • Part-Time Princesses
  • Gronk Volume 1 (Gronk, #1)
  • Adventure Time: The Flip Side
  • Sleepless Knight
  • Baba Yaga's Assistant
  • Lastman, Tome 2
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
Andrew "Andi" Watson (born 1969) is a British cartoonist and illustrator best known for the graphic novels Breakfast After Noon, Slow News Day and his series Love Fights, published by Oni Press and Slave Labor Graphics.

Watson has also worked for more mainstream American comic publishers with some work at DC Comics, a twelve-issue limited series at Marvel Comics, with the majority at Dark Horse Com
More about Andi Watson

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)