Start by marking “Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)” as Want to Read:
Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)

Ares: Bringer of War

(Olympians #7)

In the chaos of the Trojan war, Ares arrives in a chariot, armor blazing like fire. Strategy has failed and gore drips from every surface, but the god of war denies his nature and sits on the sidelines as the blood of both mortals and demigods stains the ground red.

Strong, vengeful, and just plain angry, Ares enters the battle, his mind set on one thing: total obliteration
Published January 27th 2015 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Ares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ares

Start your review of Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)
Calista
I love how George tells the story of the Trojan War. His viewpoint is all from the gods and how they are taking sides and interfering with the people's lives. It is a powerful story to tell. He also sets up the contrast between Ares, the blood thirsty and Athena the strategist. I mean it is so well done how he does this.

I think these books are fabulous and any fan of mythology will find enjoyment on them and a new take on the stories. This one was very good. I was entertained and I like the lar
First Second Books
Feb 10, 2015 marked it as first-second-publications
We're so proud to have published George O'Connor's latest Olympians graphic novel, ARES: BRINGER OF WAR.

It features Ares! And it also features a lot of war, as that is what he's the god of.

This is probably the bloodiest of all the Olympians books yet -- how fun is that? And you get to see all of the Trojan War in a most super-awesome way.

If you're a fan of this series, you should definitely check this new volume out!
Jon Nakapalau
I loved this book! It presents the Trojan War from the perspective of Ares and how his relationship with the other gods is a factor in a war that seems to have no end (sound familiar?) in which sides change - men wading waste deep in blood - the shores of peace and war equidistant.
OpenBookSociety.com
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: omar

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Omar

This volume is dedicated to the god of war, Ares, and the re-tell of the Iliad - the Trojan War. The war that started with a bet between goddesses, combining love and anger, but mostly, this war is an inner war that has been in the brewing for a long time among the gods up in Mount Olympus.

Author George O’Connor shows us in this new installment of the Olympians series, how the gods played a major role in the Trojan War. W
Ethan
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Ethan by: no one
Book:Ares Bringer of War
Author:George O' Conner
By:Ethan Santiago

This book is about a god that is the son of Zeus named Ares.Which takes place during the trojan and greeks war.Where Ares sides with the trojans and his sister Athena sides with the greeks.This first part takes place in the mountain of olympus where they argue over which side should win and which is better.Also,they fight physically and mentally.They fight over and over and then they stop and look at the battle field.

Now the story o
Kellee Moye
George O'Connor is a master at making mythology accessible and interesting. In this Ares focused retelling of the Trojan War, we see a more humanized side of the blood-thirsty god of War. My students who are fans of the other books of the series, will definitely enjoy this one as well.
(Also, if anyone questions if graphic novels are complex or not, they should read this one!)
Nickcole
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5

George O'Connor has real talent with his drawings and the story line. I love that it keeps you engaged and you also get a bit of a history lesson on Greek Mythology.
Alicia
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm officially obsessed with George O'Connor Olympians graphic novel series. I'll be reviewing the first seven both for their individual qualities but also on how fabulously well-conceived and executed the graphic novels are in catching the middle grade/YA audience, teaching ANYONE who reads them a little something about Greek mythology (or reminding because I can't remember middle school English well enough though I do remember discussing gods and goddesses) but in an important and simple way t ...more
Tzu-Mainn Chen
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a traditionalist, so I can be a bit picky when it comes to myths. It irritates me to no end when a book talks about 'Hercules' in the context of Greek mythology ('Hercules' is the Roman name; it should be 'Heracles'), and watching the movie 'Troy' was an... unpleasant experience.

This is to all say that when I read George O'Connor's 'Olympians' series to my daughter, I was prepared to interject a wealth of corrections and clarifications into the narrative. But none was needed. Instead I fell
Nicola Mansfield
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another outstanding volume in George O'Connor's "Olympians" series. Book 7 brings us the story of Ares, the god of war, and the Trojan War. If you've read this far in the series you know what to expect with the artwork and O'Connor brings the same magnificent illustration to the table once again. This story is quite a complex one and brings together all the gods we've met in the other books, plus minor ones who've popped up here and there. They are all assembled watching as the Greeks and Trojan ...more
Barbara
Once again, George O'Connor manages to bring mythology to life in engaging fashion. In this graphic novel, part of his Olympians series, the focus is on the volatile, bloodthirsty Ares. As the gods and goddesses watch on--and sometimes intercede--the Trojan War continues, shedding blood on both sides. They are portrayed as argumentative, petty, and jealous of one another. Somehow, as the story come to an end, readers may feel some compassion for Ares, the never-satisfied god of war, for the humi ...more
Annette
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
ARES: BRINGER OF WAR by George O’Connor is the latest addition to the popular OLYMPIANS graphic novel series designed for middle grades and young adults.

Although each of the graphic novels in the OLYMPIANS series stand alone, those new to Greek mythology may want to read them in order because ARES assumes that readers are familiar with the backstory of the gods. Each volume focuses on one of the gods in the Olympic pantheon including Zeus, Athena, Hera, Hades, Poseidon, and Aphrodite. In additio
Melissa Mcavoy
Filled with violent action, impressively erudite, and packed with wit, George O’Connor’s latest installment in his Olympians series, Ares: Bringer of War, tells the story of the Trojan War. As O’Connor freely admits in his engaging author’s note, “you’d have to be a lunatic to adapt the Illiad into a 66 page graphic novel.” Not only is that precisely what O’Connor has done, he has pulled it off beautifully. Handsomely colored, graphically strong panels and inspired dialogue intrigue, excite, app ...more
Kara
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: myth, graphic-novel

Another brilliant retelling from O’Connor. Here, we focus tightly on the end of the Trojan war with an emphasis on the gods involvement. It’s the Iliad told Marvel style. Some of the fighting reaches a point of hilarity, such as when Ares whines about getting stabbed (dude – you’re immortal!) and then immediately plunges into tragedy when characters you have just started to care about actually die, and the whole time you are on the edge of your seat watching the fighting both on and off the batt
Teddy Hylant
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary: This book is about the Greek god of war, Ares. Ares loves war and is hard to defeat during a war. In the book the Titans are fighting the Spartans. Most of the Gods have kids in the war, and they need to protect the. This causing some of the gods to fight and changes the outcome of the battle. Find out who wins.
My take: I thought this was a good book. It had tons of action which I liked. Ares is a beast in the book and so are so of the other gods. I highly recomeded this book to people
Tera
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ares was definitely a change of pace in comparison to the other books in the series. Instead of focusing on the stories where the god is the main character, Ares is shown on the sidelines and how he handles things. Overall the story was interesting and the graphics were again well done.
arc from NetGalley
Tracey
Ares doesn't really shine the brightest in this story but he does get the best comeback line to Zeus at the end. Everyone in this story isn't very likable, least of all Ares. But you can kind of see where he's coming from and are mostly on his side by the end of the war.
Kim
Advanced galley received from Netgalley.
The focus on the story is from The Iliad.
Mary Lee
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Watch for my review on the blog tour for this book -- Jan. 27 on A Year of Reading.
Misty
I reviewed these books basically as a whole on the boxed set. ...more
Angello Adrien
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
That was actually a very good read.i really love the side of ares.despite his brutally and his lust for war.there is another side to him.
Melissa Somoza
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Christopher W.
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book kinda confusing at some parts. Didn't know that they could interfere in battles.
David
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
4.25
I am a sucker for the Iliad and so I really enjoyed the basis of the Ares story.
Dani Shuping
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Ares. The god of war. And some would say the god of destruction and chaos. But no, he is more than that. When the best laid plans of war go awry, when Athena’s logic has left the playing field, that is when Ares enters into the playing field. He brings forth blood lust, discord and strife. But more than that, when all seems lost and your enemies about to overwhelm you, Ares gives his power and strength to let you make one last stand. That is Ares.
In this, the seventh entry into the Olympians ser
Aiden Gluck
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book "Ares: Bringer of War" by George O'Connor was a book about the god Ares, bringer of war. I really liked this book because it had a lot of action in it and just had a lot of things going on at once but was still really easy to follow.
I would give this book 5 stars because I really liked it because it was fantasy, it had a lot of pictures in it because it's a graphic novel so I like that. The story line was good and it had a lot of action so I liked it.
A retelling of the Fall of Troy in which we see the battles from the perspectives of the Olympians. Focus on the bringer of war as a lover of chaos, but also a sensitive father.

Many highlights of the Illiad are pictured but must be read about in the G(r)eek notes.

Ares' heavenly body is mars; his month is March, and martial, as in martial arts, is a derivative of his roman name Mars. As horrible as he is, i guess he's supposed to be my guy...oh dear.
pob
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Ares definitely has anger issues. The Olympians have to find him a therapist, or else, he would probably lose it if a 12 year-old killed him in CS:GO or Call of Duty for the 50th time, unlocking an achievement! RAGE QUIT!!!
Beth Huddleston
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This had a great portrayal of the Olympians' involvement in the Trojan war. It also tied together some of the other stories from the other books in the series.
Aryan Preetham
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I a rating from 1 to 10 in violence I would say it is 4 because there was a big chunk of violence.But it had a lot of meaning and sometimes hard to understand. nice book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Escape from Lucien (Amulet, #6)
  • The Time Museum (Time Museum, #1)
  • Firelight (Amulet, #7)
  • Who Was Jesus?
  • Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood
  • Who Is Jane Goodall?
  • The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • The Last Council (Amulet, #4)
  • Supernova (Amulet, #8)
  • Ancient Rome and Pompeii (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #14)
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey
  • The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2)
  • Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 8: Superbad
  • Raid of No Return
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He's also the author/illustrator of a new picture book, If I Had a Raptor.
He lives in

Olympians (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
  • Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)
  • Artemis: Wild Goddess of the Hunt (Olympians, #9)
  • Hermes: Tales of the Trickster (Olympians, #10)
  • Hephaistos: God of Fire (Olympians, #11)