Start by marking “Won Ton and Chopstick: A Cat and Dog Tale Told in Haiku” as Want to Read:
Won Ton and Chopstick: A Cat and Dog Tale Told in Haiku

Won Ton and Chopstick: A Cat and Dog Tale Told in Haiku

(Won Ton)

Won Ton has a happy life with his Boy, until…

Ears perk. Fur prickles.
Belly low, I creep…peek…FREEZE!
My eyes full of Doom.

A new puppy arrives, and nothing will be the same.
Told entirely in haiku and with plenty of catitude, the story of how Won Ton faces down the enemy is a fresh and funny twist on a familiar rivalry.

NCTE Notable Poetry List Book
Published March 17th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Won Ton and Chopstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Won Ton and Chopstick

Creative Writing

The Illustrations
Capture the Fun of this Tale
Or Should I Say Tail?

This book was good fun, and I particularly recommend it for use in middle or high school settings--but it would be accessible in elementary settings, as well. It is important to infuse picture books into older classrooms, and this is the perfect text to do s
Kristine Hansen
A tale told entirely in haiku with such humor and wit that I laughed several times in the reading of it. The new dog is driving the cat crazy - but eventually they come around to harmony. Love the dog's "true" name at the end. This is the perfect book to use with a poetry unit discussing haiku. Cute, funny, and highly recommended!
Beth
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
New pet in the house
Won Ton is quite unhappy
Will they become friends?
Angie
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
As someone who would like to one day introduce a dog into my cat household I found this book wonderful. I will admit that I don't always appreciate the brevity of haiku and am terrible at creating them. What really made this book fun was the story and the illustrations. Despite the fact that I am not sure all young kids will get the haiku structure I think they will appreciate the antics of this cat and dog pair.
Amelia Aretz
Title: Won Ton and Chopstick: A Cat and Dog Tale Told in Haiku

Author: Lee Wardlaw

Illustrator: Eugene Yelchin

Genre: Picture book of poem(s)

Theme(s): Cat, Dog, Haiku/Senryu

Opening line/sentence:
“It’s a fine life, Boy.”

Brief Book Summary:
The book tells the story of a cat who is content with life until the “Boy” comes home with an unwelcome surprise. The cat butts head with the new puppy and it is told through haikus and senryu, two forms of Japanese poetry. The cat is upset with the lack of attenti
Julia
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an original find for me on GR and one that caught my attention due to the supposed formatting of the book. Due to I like poetry and I wanted to see how a children's book is written in haiku it was definitely a Must-Read while my sister was able to also get the first one of the series thus allowing me to meet Won-Ton before he met the pup that she keeps calling Fruit Snacks.

As with the original book the story has chapter titles thus giving a chronological plot to the story as well as m
Cheryl
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Almost as good as the first (Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku) except that I'm confused about the puppy's name(s). They don't have to be read in order, but I recommend that you do read the first as it's wonderful, addressing issues of shelter pets and adjustments to a new home. This one is about adjustment to a 'sibling.'
Meg McGregor
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved cats and dogs! This book, written entirely in haiku, deftly explores the feelings a cat may experience when a new puppy joins the family!

My favorite haiku is the following:

"Your secret revealed.
What kind of name is Basho?
I shall call you...Friend."

Be prepared to have your heart melt while reading this story!
Eva
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Great follow-up to Chopstick. Anyone with any cat experience will find it perfectly captured by Lee Wardlaw.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Reading at the Kids Table. Thanks to Macmillan for the review copy!

Katie (age 6): I didn't really understand it, but I liked that after a little while the cat and dog liked each other. I liked when the cat and the pup snuggled together and the pup was a good pillow.

Jen (Katie's mom): We haven't gone over haiku yet and I don't think they're even close to broaching the subject at school yet, so this one went a little over Katie's head in terms of how the story was told. But she got the gist of the
Venus
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

This is a unique book, one that I'm sure young children may be able to enjoy, but will not understand on a certain level. It is also the third book I have read in the past month featuring Haiku, which makes me wonder what it is about this particular poetry form that draws in writers? At the risk of angering the poetry community, and with the hopes that someone will actually answer this question, I wonder if it isn't because it is one of the easier p
Linda
I just read a wonderful interview by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater with Lee Wardlaw at The Poem Farm - http://www.poemfarm.amylv.com/2015/06... And then I walked into my library and there was Won Ton! This is the sequel to the earlier story, Won Ton: A Cat Tale Told In Haiku. And it's just as fun, with full feline emotions because there is a new family member, and from the book cover, you can easily guess who it might be. The story moves from wonder through shock, disgust, and finally, well, you'll ne ...more
Heidi Gonzalez
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fun little book about Won Ton the cat whose owner brings a puppy, Chopstick, home. Won Ton is not thrilled at all with the new addition and feels very displaced by his arrival. He finally realizes that they have some things in common and that maybe this dog isn't so bad.

This book is the 2nd in the Won Ton series and is written in Haiku. I'm not quite sure why this book was listed under adoption other than it does explore the feelings of getting a new sibling and how siblings don't alwa
Nancy Kotkin
Told entirely in senryu (Japanese poetic form same as haiku but about life foibles instead of nature). This is the story of a dog who is introduced into the home of a cat, and the ensuing mayhem. Excellent resource for teaching haiku/senryu poetry. Also recommend for pet lovers. Even better than its predecessor, Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku.
Diane
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's a fine life, Boy.
Nap, play, bathe, nap, eat, repeat.
Practice makes purrfect.

That is until "the surprise" enters the house. The story of a cat and dog learning to live together told through the poetic words of the cat. Love this one
Emily
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Creative and fun tale told in dog and cat perspective with an endearing story
Can be used in middle grade to teach creative writing.
Michele Knott
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is very clever. Told in haiku and senryu, small moments of Won Ton's day is explained. The poetry is smart, words chosen well. I love the point of view.
Sandy Brehl
Won Ton holds a place dear to my heart since I first read this remarkable cat's original book. This sequel continues the haiku form of storytelling and will charm in text and image.
Paula Hollohan
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written in haiku - a great example of sustaining a story in poetic format. Fun. Grade 4-6 Poetry. Grade K-3 read aloud.
Martha
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Annie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, poetry
The main theme of this book is acceptance and friendship. The story of Won Ton and Chopstick begins with Won Ton, a cat who is adjusting to having a new puppy in the house- Chopstick. At first Won Ton is apprehensive about having a new pet in the house, and experiences a jealous feeling concerning him. Eventually Won Ton becomes used to Chopstick, and even becomes friends with him. This is a cute story that it good for students of all ages, and I would especially recommend it to students with ex ...more
Deb
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-alena
Maybe it's because I was in the middle of reading Dogsbody, young fiction by Diana Wynne Jones (which totally shows a wonderful dog/cat relationship and point of view), that I didn't particularly love this book. I sure like the first Won Ton book, but this one was just okay for me. Cute and just okay. I'm only reviewing this because it was on my to-read list.
J.
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book must be read aloud to be best enjoyed. The haiku style really sounds like how I would imagine a cat's voice to sound. Muy 4 year old enjoyed it and understood much more than I thought she would when we first opened up the book.
Samantha
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
- Cute haiku about dog and cat friendship
- Told from the perspective of cat
-Playful and "active" art

I liked this book because I thought it was super cute and a fun little story. It also teaches children about haikus.
Michelle
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 rounded down. Very cute, but not as adorable and enchanting as the first in the series.
Raven Cleveland
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Each haiku is complete in itself, capturing the essence of cat with images such as the banished and lonesome. It creates a whole tale of displacement and eventual mutual understanding.
The Brothers
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, dogs, haikus, poetry
A cat deals with an irksome new puppy in poetic fashion.

Illustrations are cute.
Elaine Hoach
Dec 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
The new dog is really driving the car bonkers... told only in haiku. It wasn't my favorite but it was cute
Rhea
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book for after school break program on poetry or an older story time
Margie
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
One late summer afternoon as I was strolling down the streets in a tiny town located along the shore of Torch Lake in Michigan, a tiny kitten followed me wherever I went, purring and rubbing against my legs. After some inquires with the local shop owners, it appeared this wee bundle of fur was an orphan. By the time I decided to give it a home, someone else with children offered to take it.

Apparently fate already had another companion ready to become part of my family. I just didn't know it yet
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Am the Book
  • Orangutanka: A Story in Poems
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • Wet Cement: A Mix of Concrete Poems
  • On the Wing
  • Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems
  • Poem-Mobiles: Crazy Car Poems
  • A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
  • Pug and Other Animal Poems
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings
  • Flutter and Hum / Aleteo y Zumbido: Animal Poems / Poemas de Animales
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
Lee Wardlaw swears that her first spoken word was 'kitty'. Since then, she's shared her life with 30 cats (not all at the same time!) and published close to 30 award-winning books for young readers, selling more than one million copies world wide.

Lee's newest books include Won Ton - A Cat Tale Told in Haiku, winner of the 2012 Lee Bennett Hopkins Children's Poetry Award and the 2012 Myra Cohn Livi

Won Ton (2 books)