Start by marking “Max's Math” as Want to Read:
Max's Math

Max's Math

Max and his two brothers hop into a car and go looking for problems they can solve. They cruise down highway number 4 on their way to Shapeville, but they see an abandoned number along the way. Is it a 6? Is it a 9? And what's it doing on the side of the road? Once the trio reach Shapeville, there's another problem: a flood washed away all of the squares. Max and his broth ...more
Published March 10th 2015 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Max's Math, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max's Math

Heidi
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Four Stars: A fun adventure that features shapes and numbers, perfect for young readers.

Max has an active imagination. He decides to build a car, but he finds he only has two wheels. Luckily, he locates two more in the basement to complete his car. Once finished, Max thinks it would be fun to head out and search for problems. Even though his two brothers question why he would want to search for problems, they go along with him. The three soon find themselves visiting two towns: Shapeville and Co
Jessica Pinkman
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Summary
Max's Math goes through the adventures that Max and his brothers go through while looking for problems to solve. They save the day by using their geometry and arithmetic skills. It's use of numbers and shapes puts a fun and interesting twist on mathematics and is guaranteed to get your students excited about math.

Activity:
While reading there are basic math problems, have your students solve them before moving on. Ask them how many items they passed by while being pulled on a kite, and th
Nicola
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

It was okay. Miss 3 likes the page where they count the different types of vehicles on the road. There's some counting, numbers, shapes, and addition.
Viviane Elbee
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book may appeal to kids who like math, and kids who like to see how math problems pop up in real life.

The main character, Max, goes looking for math problems. He encounters shape (geometry) problems, simple arithmetic problems and counting problems.
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, math
The highlight was when the town had no more squares and so the kids showed them how to build squares out of triangles. It would be fun to play with that and see how/when that worked (with what kinds of triangles, etc.)
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime, March 8th
Theme: Math Stories

Max and his brothers build a car and go looking for problems. Why? Because they are fun! they find plenty of problems in Shapeville and Count Town, where they are able to help find the town square and launch a rocket.
Phyllis Wright
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute and fun!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A fun, interactive adventure that makes learning about math, and shapes fun.
Marie Arie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 123-s
Fun book of problem solving with reading and numbers. This book gives simple math word problems for children to figure out while reading. Great for ages 5 and over.
Jen Wills
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: stem, january
Good parent read to introduce math concepts, but a little long for that as well.
Nicole
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
My person reaction was i loved the real life aspect of math. I struggled with the reason behind why we need to use math, this is the perfect book that shows real life math problems as the book goes to Shapesville and Count Town.

This would be a great read aloud book to make a curricular connection about math in the real world. Focusing on numbers and shapes. A as class we could count the missing squares in the town and start problem solving for Max's problems.

This would also be a great independe
Dolly
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a very strange, but very imaginative story about a little boy who sees math everywhere and seeks to solve the math problems of the world. The narrative is short and filled with examples of math in different forms, from counting objects to creating new geometric shapes from others to connecting the dots to matching socks and finally to a rocket launch. Even the celebratory party with cake and ice cream at the end of the story depicts different shapes.

Overall, I have to admit that I just
Barbara
Perfect for math lovers or perhaps to entice others to identify the practical uses of math, this picture book is filled with math problems. Max and his two siblings head to Shapeville and Count Town in search of problems. They find plenty of them, starting with their own mode of transportation, and figuring out how to make squares from triangles. Even when the boys return home, they are still busy, this time counting sheep as they try to fall asleep. Although I don't love this one as much as Max ...more
Dawn
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is nice because it incorporates math and numbers into a picture book, but doesn't go the traditional "counting to ten" route. However, I really didn't like it. I found the illustrations kind of creepy. I wouldn't be surprised if kids have nightmares about the people made out of shapes. Showing how you can use shapes to make other shapes was really cool (though oddly they make a kite that isn't actually kite-shaped), but just searching for numbers in the number town was much less exciti ...more
Monika
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect example of a living math book. My 5-year-old was constantly exclaiming, “Oh cool, look!” and making so many connections between the pictures and the storyline, I’m not sure I could list them all. Mathematical concepts are delivered in a way that is natural and pertinent to the storyline: numbers and counting skills, one-to-one correspondence, basic addition and subtraction, shapes and simple geometry, and the importance of zero, just to name a few. More of my thoughts on this t ...more
Clare Rossetter
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Max likes problems. A great mindset for kids to have. As the story progresses Max solves problems that deal with such topics as sorting and shapes not just number ones. The end of the day brings the end of the problem solving as max returns home. Illustrations are done by an award winning illustrator, Boris Kulikov. They are not my favorite but they are very popular with students. They also support the text through the use of shapes and numbers and patterns so I think they work for this text.
Whole And
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing mundane and boring about this math book!
Max's math is full of adventure and possibility seeing numbers with a new perspective with their ability to come together and make things. Visit shapeland, constellations, rocket ships, Count Town and more with Max and celebrate the feast of numbers.

Simply delightful.
Excellent for introducing numbers and math concepts to a young mathematician or for helping the ones who find math dull love numbers and what they can do.

Kelly
Mar 15, 2015 added it
I wanted to like this book more than I did. It just came off as really really didactic. I thought some of the lines were good plays on words though. It might still be entertaining enough to use in a specific math reading, meaning I wouldn't just read it to a kid to read it, but if you were specifically teaching math.
Karen
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a strange, but interesting book, that features a little boy who sees shapes and Math everywhere. It is a good reminder of how fun Math USED to be before Common Core sucked all the life out of it. :/

Beautiful illustrations in the book, though.
Miss Sarah
May 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
definitely for older kids because it's a little long but max and his friends set out for number and shape town and encounter adventure along the way.
Jason
Mar 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
There wasn't very much math in this at all! And without much math you're left with a story without substance because it only existed to serve the math in the firstplace!
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love Max. Not my favorite int he series but not bad.
Alice
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the math in this...done in a fun way. I didn't love it, but the illustrations were nicely done and the point of the book was good! Great for math class!
Alana
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
PICTURE BOOK Fun book for 1st grade level that incorporates counting, addition, geometry and shapes, and adventure with math.
Mary
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the fourth book about Max by Kate Bank, Max and his brother go looking for problems -- math problems that they can solve. A clever picture book with playful math humor and whimsical illustrations.
Vicki
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
A bit much going on in this book with numbers and shapes. Illustrations are very colorful.
Megan Hornberger
Not really about math. Very deceiving.
Kimberly
A bit too disorganized to be effective.
Mary Lee
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book, math
Maybe in a primary classroom...
Kate Banks has written many books for children, among them Max’s Words, And If the Moon Could Talk, winner of the Boston Globe–Horn Book Award, and The Night Worker, winner of the Charlotte Zolotow Award. She grew up in Maine, where she and her two sisters and brother spent a lot of time outdoors, and where Banks developed an early love of reading. “I especially liked picture books,” she says, “an ...more