Start by marking “The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)

The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  35,317 Ratings  ·  5,657 Reviews
Following your heart can be a crime

A royal wedding means one celebration after another: balls, fireworks, and revelry until dawn. But to Kestrel it means living in a cage of her own making. As the wedding approaches, she aches to tell Arin the truth about her engagement: that she agreed to marry the crown prince in exchange for Arin's freedom. But can Kestrel trust Arin? C
Published March 3rd 2015 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Winner's Crime, please sign up.

Sky NO, but parts are sad, I would say though that you should really try it.
Wanda Porter This augments what I knew. It shows a knowledge of mythology. It augmented what I thought. These answers help me to grow as a reader. I plan to do…moreThis augments what I knew. It shows a knowledge of mythology. It augmented what I thought. These answers help me to grow as a reader. I plan to do more with this and other novels. (less)

Kat O'Keeffe
Mar 04, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST BOOK! I loved that we got more into world and the different cultures, and I loooooooved the relationship development between Kestrel and Arin! Even though it was a little frustrating at times, the tension and the angst just GAH IT HURT SO GOOD. I loved the characters, both old and new, and I loved the story and the conflict and the beautiful writing and I HATED/LOVED THAT ENDING. JEEZE.

So to sum up: I LOVED THIS. I thought it was a great second book that built wonderfu
Emily May
Dec 01, 2014 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc, 2014
Marie Rutkoski has upped her game.

I was one of that annoying minority who didn't really like The Winner's Curse. I mean, it was okay, but proved once again that most writers of YA fantasy focus on the flirtations and romancing and forget about pretty much everything else. However, the way that book ended had me curious about the potential new directions of book two...

I was right to be curious. I was right to take my chances on the sequel.

This book just has everything. I would liken it to what Ma
Wendy Darling
Make your own book-inspired tattoos! Here's my tutorial + free download featuring quotes from this trilogy:

twc tattoo truth

-------------------------------------------------------------------

4.5 stars Marie Rutkoski is cruel to our little falcon, my friends. This book is filled with anger, betrayal, sacrifice, and yearning--not to mention secret messages, delicious cat-and-mouse dialogue, and despairing subtext. If you love impossible romances set against the backdrop of war, give this series a try--though be f
Steph Sinclair
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

feels

Love, love, loved it! My heart aches for book three. Review to come closer to release date.
Regan
Mar 27, 2015 Regan rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.25

OooooOOOooh things are gettin good people
Lola  Reviewer
description

3.5 stars. Oh la la, well that was unexpected. This sequel is darker, deadlier, less focused on the romance and containing a delicious addition of conspiracy and secrecy. A beautifully surprising change in the plot and its atmosphere.

Kestrel has it in her to rule a country. She is intelligent, fierce, full of courage and never recreant. Now, her abilities are not only evident and admired but necessary. She will marry the prince of Valoria and no one will stop this event from happening. That is w
Katerina
Nov 29, 2014 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
“I’m going to miss you when I wake up,” she whispered, because she realized that she must have fallen asleep under the sun. Arin was too real for her imagination. He was a dream.
“Don’t wake up,” he said.

I'm standing next to my window,allowing the near summer breeze to caress my face while I try to pull myself together,to ignore the feeling that I was stabbed in the heart by dozens sharp daggers.For your information Marie Rutkoski,the daggers would have hurt less.

“I don’t mind being a moth.
Marie Rutkoski
Sep 15, 2014 Marie Rutkoski added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
If you'd like to read the first three chapters, they are available for a sneak preview here: http://tinyurl.com/q8gk2a8

Love,
The author
Dorreh
Nov 10, 2016 Dorreh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I reread this book, solely for the purpose of the new copy I got 2 days ago!

I'm a little shocked quite frankly that my rating didn't change after reading this book a second time.

Somewhere along the lines of good and evil, there is a thin band of nothing, I'd like to think of it as betrayal. And I think that was the ultimate theme exploited in this book. Wether it's a true kind of betrayal, one justified by the greater good or one simply because of ones own shortcomings in morality. The book
Sophia
Apr 26, 2014 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
march 3, 2015
~4:45 p.m. - i went to the bookstore to pick up the book i've been waiting for forever.
~4:50 p.m. - customer service man went to go dig around in the back to find a copy since THEY RUDELY WEREN'T ON ANY SHELF.
~4:56 p.m. - in this glorious minute, i finally held the winner's crime in my hands.
[insert irrelevant things like math homework and eating dinner but also insert relevant thing like reading]
~1:32 a.m. - finished the winner's crime.
~1:40 a.m. - found dead in bedroom.
~1:45 a.m
Giovanna
Jan 05, 2014 Giovanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, buddy-read
NO TEARS LEFT HERE. MARIE WHY ARE YOU SO CRUEL?!

Uhm. I read this one with Lys (and you should read it with someone because, trust me, you'll need some kind of support) and discussed it with her in caps-locked, desperate comments. I'll write a full review sometimes today, meanwhile you are welcome to read those comments and judge.

“Yes, stop playing, Kestrel, she told herself. Clear the bets, clear the table. Walk away from the game. Now."

If I don't write a review now, I never will, so...I'm tryin
Maureen
Aug 22, 2015 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I SWEAR THIS BOOK WAS ABOUT TO MAKE ME HAVE A HEART ATTACK THE WHOLE TIME.
For me this definitely wasn't as good as the first, but was still pretty fantastic.
It was really great to see the further development of Arin and Kestrel and to see their interactions with other people but their interactions with EACH OTHER WERE SO STRESSFUL ALWAYS.
The world building wasn't as solid as the first book - I couldn't really imagine any of the places the action took place.
MUCH POLITICS, VERY INTRIGUE.
If my b
Khanh (the meanie)
Look, I liked the first book and all, but what the FUCK is with that cover? This is a high fantasy!
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Well, damn. And sigh . . . . .

I didn't like this book as much as I hoped. Never fear, I still liked it but . . . . .

So Arin FINALLY shows up at about 70? pages in and it wasn't the reunion I was hoping for. I know that Kestrel is trying to make sure nothing happens to Arin because if she tells him she's doing it all for him then he will go off and be a twat and ruin everything. But, it's still no fun.

And I was getting sick of hearing about this Risha girl, who gives a rats arse about her! Get
Emma Giordano
Jun 04, 2016 Emma Giordano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars! While I didn't enjoy the sequel as much as book one, I did really like this book! What's funny is with The Winner's Curse, I was OBSESSED with the first half but my excitement faltered through the ending. With The Winner's Crime, I was somewhat bothered by the first half whether that be from slight boredom to outright frustration with characters, I was totally INTOXICATED by the second half! I'm so so happy I finally got around to picking up this series, and I'm really excited to see ...more
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO ME THE WINNER'S CRIME...

THAT ENDING TORE ME TO SHREDS. IT DUG IN DEEP AND RIPPED MY HEART OUT!! AND THE WHOLE TIME I WAS SCREAMING....

description

DON'T YOU REALIZE YOUR KILLING ME???

description

MY LOVE RAN SO DEEP.... I.... I....

description

AND... I CAN'T BELIEVE IT...

description

THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME??? TEARING MY HEART OUT WITH THAT ENDING???

(I MUST ADMIT, THE REST OF THE BOOK WAS EPICCCCCCC, A.M.A.Z.I.N.G)

description

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH...

description

OKAY, OKAY, LETS KEEP IT REAL...

YOU, MARIE RUTKOSKI, ARE
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・ |spoilers af|
Update: 27/03/2016, waiting for the last book in the trilogy.

The Winner’s trilogy was an unexpected phenomenon for me. I heard about the first book and I went in without any expectation and ended up being absolutely in love.

Not only the writing style is rich but the characters are very loveable.

I like the traditions and just the whole world is quite interesting. The plot is fluid and the twists are on point.

I can’t say much except that I’m freaking excited for the last book.

_________________
Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things
If you’re new to this series… you better THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS that all three books are out. Because this? This book. WORST. CLIFFHANGER. EVER.

Let me tell you a little story about when I first read this book.

Poor Brittney was sick and stuck in her bed for several days last winter. She was all out of books except the first and second book of this series already purchased and waiting. So she started this series. Loved the first book. Was literally flying in the second book because holy batman
emma
5/5

THIS IS WHAT I WANTED WHEN I PICKED UP THE WINNER’S CURSE.

This is The Winner’s Curse:

And THIS is The Winner’s Crime:

In short, THIS BOOK ROCKS. Arin is sort of just angsty all the time, which is eh, but Kestrel is a TOTAL BADASS. She just made it onto my all-time-favorite female characters list.

This book is yet another YA attempt at striking the balance between general badassery and romance, but this is the best take I’ve ever seen. Kestrel makes all de
Jasmine [Semi-hiatus]
“I wanted to trust you,” he whispered. “I tried. But I couldn’t lie to myself hard enough.”

I was too absorbed in the story to mark anything in this book so I apologize for the lack of quotes in the following review. :P

The Winner's Crime is another fast-paced story with heart-wrenching twists of plot in the trilogy. All I remember is an abundance of political and military strategies among the soldiers and the main characters. Even though there are tons of unpredictable events in this book, wh
Angela
Sep 02, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: badass-females
"I leap without feet to land, my cloth head is filled with sand. I have no wings, yet try to fly... what am I?"... The second and dramatic second book two of The Winner's Curse series perhaps mmmmm.....

I was very, very lucky to get an Arc of The Winner's Crime.

I know that when it comes to reading books I only care about one true thing, and that is how the book ends. I REPEAT: IT'S ALL ABOUT THAT ENDING! Doesn't matter if it's the first book or last book in a series. If you don't bring a strong
Jessica (priceiswong)
Apr 04, 2016 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
4.5 stars Ugh this was exhausting to read. SO MANY LIES. Excited for the last book!
Clara
** 5 beautiful but frustrating stars **

I loved this sequel as much as the first book The Winner’s curse !!

To me, this book was all about Kestrel, how she shone brighter than ever, and her growth as a character. In this second book, she’s maturing and slowly finding out who she wants to be. She will realize her mistakes, what she did wrong, she will feel the guilt and then will try to do the right thing, at least what she thinks is the right thing. I absolutely love Kestrel character’s developmen
Natalie Monroe
"Arin and I are impossible," [Kestrel] said quietly. "Dangerous. It is best that we keep our distance from each other."

Trusted bloggers and reviewers told me and told me I'd love The Winner's Crime. "The stakes are so high," they raved. "It's miles better than its predecessor!", Your heart will be ripped into little-bity shreds!"

The stakes are high, alright, though not in the way you'd think.

Stakes: will Kestrel and Arin stop wallowing in self-inflicted angst long enough to have an honest con
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
I have made a grave mistake.

(x)

Let me just paint a picture for you.
It's 2:30am. I finish The Winner's Crime.

My first thought? I don't want to write a goddamn review for this book. Forget it, I'm just going to start reading the next one.

I go to buy the book.

I see pre-order.

It's the sleep deprivation making my eyes betray me.

No. It isn't.

The final book isn't, AS I HAD MISTAKENLY ASSUMED, out yet.

I cry myself to sleep.
“He did not want her to know.
He did not want her to see.
But:
Look at m
Anja
Jun 12, 2016 Anja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*5 BETRAYING STARS*

“If you won’t be my friend, you’ll regret being my enemy.”

Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod!
Excuse my fangirl screaming, but this book completely destroyed me! Marie Rutkoski is an absolute genius for coming up with all of this! This has left me so heartbroken and stunned, the perfect sequel to an already great first book in this series. Now I seriously can't wait to read the last one, I can't even imagine how this is going to end!

I already thought the ending to the previous b
Elena
Apr 19, 2014 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
NO NO NO NO
I WON'T BE ABLE TO WAIT A WHOLE YEAR FOR THE THIRD ONE

_________________

I found it. A new series I can obsess over. It's going to be hard to wait for the conclusion, but it'sgoing to be even harder to let these characters go as soon as I finish the last book.
Oh booklovers and their issues.

I can't say that I ''enjoyed'' The Winner's Crime, because let's face it: I didn't. It pained me and it broke my heart.
But that is exactly what I love about books, right?

I grew to love these char
Kat Kennedy
I'll finish you when I get a copy of Winner's Kiss.
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Fingernails were chewed. Breath was held. Expectations were exceeded.

I loved this novel. Saying it was enjoyable wouldn’t be quite right. It was painful and stressful, but also incredibly beautiful.

Not often do we see a sequel that is so vastly different from its predecessor. It wasn’t just different in plot alone, but character depth, tone and theme. While The Winner's Curse was more focused on romance The Winner's Crime is about politics, hard decisions and sacrifices.

The plot kept me on my t
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Feb 24, 2014 Jillian (bookishandnerdy) rated it it was amazing
Warning: If you have not read The Winner's Curse there will be spoilers for the first book, however, I will not spoil any details for this book in my review.

The Winner's Crime doesn't disappoint at all. It's a fantastic sequel to The Winner' Curse that's packed with political intrigue, romantic angst, and a main character you'll root for the entire way through.

"If you won't be my friend, you'll regret being my enemy." - Kestrel

When I read The Winner's Curse last year, I was obsessed. I had n
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Burn (The Rephaim, #4)
  • The Wondrous and the Wicked (The Dispossessed, #3)
  • Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
  • Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • Skandal (Sekret, #2)
Marie Rutkoski is the author of the YA novel The Shadow Society and the children's fantasy series The Kronos Chronicles, including The Cabinet of Wonders, The Celestial Globe and The Jewel of the Kalderash. Her next project is a YA trilogy that begins with The Winner's Curse, which is scheduled to be published in March 2014.

Marie grew up in Bolingbrook, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago), as the olde
More about Marie Rutkoski...

The Winner's Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
  • The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy, #3)

“If you won’t be my friend, you’ll regret being my enemy.” 219 likes
“Sometimes you think you want something,” Arin told him, “when in reality you need to let it go.” 178 likes