Start by marking “New Year's: Nathaniel P. as Seen Through the Eyes of His Friend Aurit” as Want to Read:
New Year's: Nathaniel P. as Seen Through the Eyes of His Friend Aurit

New Year's: Nathaniel P. as Seen Through the Eyes of His Friend Aurit

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  377 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews

From Adelle Waldman, author of The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P., here’s New Year’s, a story from the point of view of Nate’s friend Aurit—as startling, provocative and true-to-life a tale about a young woman’s dating life as The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. was about a young man’s.

She felt some part of herself relax when she was with him. She could shut off the part of he
Published May 6th 2014 by Picador

To ask other readers questions about New Year's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Year's

Kseniya Melnik
Apr 03, 2014 marked it as to-read
I will read anything Waldman writes.
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
A must-read for those who enjoyed The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. (But do read that one first or this one won't do much for you.)

"She was kinder to him than he deserved." That pretty much sums it up.
Julie Ehlers
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-fiction
Word of caution: As the clunky subtitle implies, this novella doesn't really stand on its own--you need to have read The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. to appreciate it. Still, I loved this. I hope Adelle Waldman is at work on another full-length novel because I want to read more from her ASAP.
Sylvia
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I liked the concept (gimmick?) and was happy to read it right after finishing The Love Affairs, but was quite disappointed that the voice sounded so much like Nate's.
Dylan Groves
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
really short. really perceptive.
May 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
The author does a good job at the subject. But it's still just the complications of a relationship between two unremarkable people.
Cindy
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was well written but ultimately disappointing. I *really* liked The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. and continue to recommend it to everyone, but as a follow up of sorts this felt unnecessary. There are some beautiful passages and points made, but I just kept thinking to myself 'When I'm done with this I'm going to reread Nathaniel P.'
Gail
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
The subtitle of this novella really should be "my editor made me do it". But, hey, I for one am glad! This prequel to the great "the Love Affairs of Nathaniel P", gives the backstory of Nate's only girl friend who we meet spradically in the book. Quite surprising, actually, that Nate, who is one of these jerky Brooklyn intellectuals and who haphazardly treats women terribly, can have what seeems to be a genuine sexless friendship with a woman. This little story is a shout out to Waldman's fans a ...more
Drew
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had one glaring issue with the novelette and that was the last line - I won't spoil it, but it was a flat note pressed defiantly in the midst of an otherwise melodious tune. And, of course, this is a novella and so you can't expect it to do what a full length piece would do. But it does, rather marvelously, slide right back into the mode of Nathaniel P. and the stark social commentary that Waldman did so well that first time around. It was fun to see a little more history between Aurit and Nat ...more
Kristen Scheidel
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Waldmans writing

I love the Nathaniel P boos character development and how real each person felting could barely stomach reading from the perspective of Mage, it was that well written, he was that unlikable. I love this one so much more because it's the same beautiful layered writing, but from a character that is completely static, personality wise, to Nate. I also love that from this PvP we're finally able to see Audit not as a bitchy know it all, it someone who thinks and feels deeply.
Cara
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Stefan Fergus
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting. Not as good as I'd hoped. Perhaps too short to make a proper assessment (an impression based on the fact that this is a prequel, of sorts, to a full-length novel).
I'm noticing a lot more eBook prequels coming out. I haven't had the greatest luck with them, though. I think the only author who has really nailed the pre- and in-between short stories medium is Brian McClellan. (Admittedly, I am making that claim on a small-ish sample.)
As a sampling of this author's work, though, this ha
SF
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
i loved this book. i was completely enamored with Nate and thought that the author did a fantastic job of making me simultaneously hate him and sympathize with him. it's just SUCH a frank and honest description of what dating is like when your roughly 30 - the want and need to be in a relationship and the want and need to have space and be independent, both from the female and male perspective. SERIOUSLY LOVED THIS BOOK.
LiA
May 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Too shallow, seems unfinished, maybe a bit of stuff that did not make it into the real novel, and labelled prequel, so that it would sell? Not relevant, but short enough to not feel like a waste of time. And probably there are readers out there, who enjoy this kind of narrative: New York urbanites hitting the age if 30 trying to cope with their love lives? Alas, it is not my glass of chai.
Pedro L. Fragoso
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
No love affairs this time, just the story of a relevant and ultimately lasting friendship between a man and a women, both young professionals, engaged and urban ("urban" as in New York city). The pitfalls of an on-and-off mutual attraction is particularly well handled. I found it a worthy prequel to The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
Rachel Aucoin
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is critical to read "The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P." first but this shows an improvement in writing and character development. Adelle Waldman is definitely a writer to keep an eye on, I greatly enjoyed the character of Aurit being fleshed out (I had many questions about her in the aforementioned novel), and take the time to read this novella.
Paria
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not sure this was entirely successful as a short story - the structure and pacing felt a bit odd, and I ultimately found it a little anticlimactic. But I enjoyed it immensely nonetheless. I found Aurit really realistic and relatable, and I loved getting to spend more time in the Nathaniel P. world. I really wish Waldman would write more about this set of characters.
Mandy
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun fluff, and a very quick read. It doesn't stand on its own if you haven't read the novel it's based on, and isn't as tightly constructed. But overall it's an enjoyable character sketch from a new vantage point.
Melissa
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
This short story reminded me that I didn't like the book it was spun off from all that much either...
Brittany
May 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Nothing special, kind of unnecessary.
Sally Albright
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prequel

Definitely worth downloading and reading this short story. It provides interesting context and also a peak into the life of the female hipster.
May 30, 2014 added it
A fun return to the world of Nathaniel P--though it was more backstory than story, it felt as always extremely well-observed and almost anthropologically accurate!
Nathan Bransford
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So good.
Tessa
Sep 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
I loved the love affairs of Nathaniel p., so I thought I would love this. Nope.
Juli
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Kind of pointless.
Zan
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Zan by: The Millions, except their review of it was actually negative, but I had only read the first two paragraphs of the review before downloading the ebook and reading it because i hate spoilers
doesn't really justify its own existence -- except as a way to give amazon more money
Mark Davies
May 07, 2014
Stella
Mar 28, 2016
  • Broadway Bound
  • The Fame Lunches: On Sadness, Writing, the Promise of Fame, and Other Imperfections
  • The Virgin of Bennington
  • Famous Writers I Have Known: A Novel
  • Manhattan, When I Was Young
  • Slice Harvester: A Memoir in Pizza
  • Breakup: The End of a Love Story
  • The House at the End of the Road: The Story of Three Generations of an Interracial Family in the American South
  • Apprentice to the Flower Poet Z.
  • A Voice from Old New York: A Memoir of My Youth
  • Act One
  • Two Crocodiles
  • This Heavy Silence
  • Goodbye to All That: Writers on Loving and Leaving New York
Adelle Waldman’s writing has appeared in The New York Times Book Review, the New Republic, The Wall Street Journal, Slate and other publications. A graduate of Columbia University’s journalism school, Waldman worked as a reporter at the New Haven Register and theCleveland Plain Dealer, and wrote a column for the Wall Street Journal’s Web site before turning to fiction. This is her first novel.
More about Adelle Waldman...