Start by marking “Amendment of Life: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Amendment of Life: A Mystery

Amendment of Life: A Mystery (Inspector Sloan #19)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
For decades, Catherine Aird's crime novels featuring C.D. Sloan have been beloved by fans and lauded by critics for their adroit plotting, playful wit, and literate charm. With Amendment of Life, Aird delivers the lively and engrossing novel that readers have come to rely upon.

Detective Chief Inspector C.D. Sloan of the Calleshire CID is used to the occasional oddity in hi
Published April 29th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Amendment of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amendment of Life

Rose
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. This is one in a series, that I'd been reading off and on, starting methodically with the oldest one (The Religious Body, 1966), ordering them by inter-library loan. In this one I leaped ahead, because I needed a book and it was on the shelf in front of me. I was amused to see that the time was current, but the main characters were mostly the same, including the inept constable.

Catherine Aird's mysteries are always rich in setting and character. This one had an eccentric old lady, a
Susan
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-england
There are strange things going on in the close of Calleford cathedral, and the Bishop is afraid it means an outbreak of black magic. But elderly Daphne Pedlinge spots an all-too-real body in the center of the maze of her historic house. Miss Pedlinge knows a dead body when she sees it (the War, you know) and has the police called out immediately. Detective Inspector C.D. Sloan has only the negligible help of Constable Crosby, but he soon realizes that there must be a connection between the close ...more
Judy
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book that I've read by Catherine Aird and my friends tell me that I definitely started with the wrong one. That's me. A short, kind of breezy, book starring a dead body in the middle of a yew maze, a goat tetered in a garden in a Cathedral close, a young child who has to have his eye removed, and dead animals left on doorsteps. I did like the ah-ha moment, but wasn't wild about the explanation offered in the wrap-up. I think that I will give this author another try, but plan t ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

Short and sweet, but really pretty well executed. A detective story that does exactly what is says on the tin and clears the reading palette after something rich like the Hill I just read. Not an author I've come across before but one I'll certainly try again. A very neat story about mazes and light shows and goats in cathedral closes.

Phyllis McHale
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner

This rare mix of humor and solving murders keeps one entertained throughout the tale. Sloan and Crosby are a good fit even though it's often suggested that Crosby is unduly obtuse.
The bits about the clergy in this mystery prove not only riveting but relevant.
The motive for this maze staged murder is very grim.
Bhy_bhy
Dec 12, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i need summary or synopsis from this novel,,,
thanks advance
Maureen
This was a very gentle British procedural, but, for me, a page-turner nonetheless. Funny, too!
Particle_Person
Reasonably good procedural mystery. Crosby and Sloan are always fun, but there's nothing special about this book. Solidly three stars, no more no less, and a very quick read.
Holly
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read.
Christina
Book group choice
Anne
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet. Solve the murder by ( late) dinner time. Nothing special.
Kim
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
new author tried on a whim. It was a pretty good British mystery. I would read more of these for a pleasant easygoing distraction.
Linda Underwood
English murder mystery of a mother in a maze. So-so.
Cindy
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries
It starts with the body in maze, and goes on to cover evil doings outside the church.
Cathyc7
Kathy
Oct 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Old Bank House
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • Castle Gay (Dickson McCunn, #2)
  • Gerald and Elizabeth
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • The Tamarind Seed
  • Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Paris Plot (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #6,5)
92062
Catherine Aird (born 1930) is the pseudonym of author Kinn Hamilton McIntosh. She was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, and is the author of more than twenty crime fiction novels and story collections. Her writings are similar to those of Vivien Armstrong, M C Beaton and Pauline Bell.

Aird is creator of the Sloan and Crosby novels, set in the CID department of the fictional Berebury, West Calleshire
More about Catherine Aird...

Inspector Sloan (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • His Burial Too (Inspector Sloan #5)
  • Slight Mourning (Inspector Sloan #6)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Some Die Eloquent (Inspector Sloan #8)
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
  • Last Respects (Inspector Sloan #10)

“You know, Eric, I could have sworn I heard a goat bleating while I was working in the slype yesterday evening.
I expect the Dean had separated it from the sheep, Eric said solemnly. Isn't that what clergy are for?”
0 likes