Start by marking “Message of Love” as Want to Read:
Message of Love

Message of Love

(Every Time I Think of You #2)

Lambda Literary Award Finalist - Gay Romance

In the sequel to the Lambda Literary Award winning novel Every Time I Think of You, the love between two young men is put to a test.

Reid Conniff and Everett Forrester have moved to Philadelphia, where college life brings them closer together, perhaps a bit too close. Everett, pressured by his mother, transfers to the University o
Paperback, first, 372 pages
Published March 15th 2014 by Myrmidude Press

To ask other readers questions about Message of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Message of Love

LenaRibka

I mentioned already more than once in my reviews that the best books I discovered by chance. Jim Provenzano is a great enrichment for my reading experience and I'm so glad, I came across his books. By chance.

Message of Love is a sequel to Every Time I Think of You, it is not a standalone. You HAVE to read the first book before. But I'm sure that if you read the first book, you won't miss this one.

The story in Message of Love takes place in the early 80s. It is about an amazing, magic connectio
Katerina
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Katerina by: LenaRibka
When you have read it, you will understand which gemstone you really hold in your hands. The book is different. It's history. It's romance too, but not the typical romance you might expect. I think it's perfect and I can recommend it without any restrictions.
That's the real life. It's not pink. Stones are put in your way. You have to take detours. You have to fight if you really want something.
There is the trying out. Experience has to be gained. Good and painful. The relationship between the tw
Sheziss
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who loved "Every Time I Think of You"
Recommended to Sheziss by: LenaRibka

Ok, this book is epic. Much longer than the first part, Every Time I Think of You but not less intense. Which one of them I liked most? Not sure about the question, I liked Message of Love at least the same, if not more.

With this book I laughed but I didn't cry. Not because there weren't reasons to, but because I have a heart of stone, but I sometimes felt a kind of constriction in my throat that needed to be relieved. This story starts practically from the end of the first book. Reid has just m
Elsa Bravante
No voy a poner rating a este libro porque sería injusta, a nivel literario creo que tiene calidad, como el primero, a nivel personal... lo he odiado. Una lectura demasiado real con situaciones que no me apetecía leer, he sentido, sorprendentemente, muy poca empatía por Everett, me ha apenado mucho la situación en la que veo a Reid en su dinámica de pareja, y fundamentalmente me ha parecido una relación desigual e injusta que ha hecho que la tristeza me invada mientras leía y cierto sentimiento a ...more
Pollyanna Zandonai
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, excuse me for any grammatical errors but English isn't my first language. I'll try to describe here a simple review because I think the book deserves praise .

Of course that first I've read ' Every Time I Think of You ' and fell in love madly for Reid and Everett... Reid with his strength yet not fully discovered and Everett with all his energy, intelligence and irreverence . They were teenagers as any of us once were . With new discoveries and new pleasures before themselves.

And then ca
Jenni
Series are a tough business (for me). On any given sequel I might: jump from the first book to the second and love it, jump from the first book to the second and hate it, or wait and love/hate it.

Knowing my odds, I usually try to wait a bit and then hope for the best, but with Message of Love, the sequel to Every Time I Think of You, I decided two weeks was plenty, and, well, 4.5 stars later, here we are.

Message of Love begins a few months after the closing events in Every Time I Think of You.
Melanie
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Rating 5 stars out of 5

Sequel to the Lambda Literary Award winner Every Time I Think of You, Message of Love is perhaps less a total romance and more a journey of two young men coming of age and growing together into adulthood and a loving commitment,with the richness of its details and the complexities of its characters that make this a story to remember. One of the best fiction stories of the year. A must read for all.

For my full review, visit http://wp.me/p220KL-2ev

For all my essays, reviews,
Martin
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't stop it. While reading I felt like being part of Everett's and Reid's life. Great book!
Anna D.
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

I’m confused about how to rate this book. Overall, I love this couple’s story and as a whole it was nice to read their month-to-month going ons – which sometimes felt like a day-to-day accounts, but there were parts that were just kind of uninteresting. I needed more in the story line to pique my emotions. Don’t get me wrong there were some stand outs, and I needed more of it – my favorite was February 1983. Everett finally did good!

In the course of the story, I learned to love Everett,
Marty
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finished reading Jim Provenzano's latest book, "Message of Love." The title is a reference to Emmett's love notes to Reid, but the tale itself is a message of love...and the message is that love trumps hate, ignorance, and fear...and knows no bounds. I always get a lump in my throat after finishing one of Jim's stories because I want it to go on and on.
Joshua
May 22, 2014 marked it as to-read
Holy shit, this is Every Time I Think Of You's sequel? Holy shit holy shit holy shit.
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Every Time I Think of You and was excited to learn there was a sequel. I enjoy Jim Provenzano's beautiful writing and love Reid as a first-person narrator. It is also wonderful to see a book explore a different type of relationship than what we generally get.

Message of Love spans several years and is structured in somewhat of a diary style in that each chapter is a day out of each month of a year. I was a bit surprised that the book opened with a chapter set three years later than the ac
Joyfully Jay
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Provenzano, while being a beautiful writer, is not concerned about making things too comfortable or too romantic. He’s very realistic in his descriptions and, while Reid and Everett are complex and likeable characters, they are certainly flawed. Everett continues to be a bit out of touch with those who are not as privileged as he is, including Reid. Their relationship together is not always easy, though one would expect no less from two men at the prime of their liv
Saj
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
After reading Every time I think of you, I became a fan of Mr. Provenzano.

I do like this sequence. The writing is still top notch as I expected.

The story is longer, which I like, for Reid narration is pleasure to read.

However, with its length, I wish there would be a little more humor because sometimes the slot becomes quite heavy.

My most disappointment is the end, where things are still confused. After all that time together, our 2 Mcs haven't seemed to figure out their future and their life t
Izengabe
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, beloved-mcs
Redondeo de 3.5 a 4, porque creo que fui un poco rata valorando el anterior.
La historia de Reid y Everett me atrapó, así que me encantó seguirles en la segunda parte, si bien la primera me gustó mucho más.
Reid es un personaje que me encanta, pero no se aprecia mucha evolución en él y me pasé gran parte del libro esperando que cambiara la dinámica de su relación con Everett (odio la palabra "dinámica" pero no encuentro otra).
Tampoco me dejó la resaca que me dejó el primero, pero también lo agrad
Diane
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Magic

... of finding that one special person who completes you. Who understands you better than you do yourself.

Such a beautifully written, unconventional love story.

Reid and Everett have come together to a new beginning.

It makes your heart sing with happiness to read of their journey.

Even with all the pain and loss, for them to arrive where they are, is a testament to the strength of their love.
Antonella
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely a great, well written book. I just fell in love with Every Time I Think of You and the sequel wasn't as gripping. I also couldn't see a clear character development.
Mike Adams
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
The sequel to Every Time I Think of You follows Everett and Reid in their college years, and although this is longer and more slowly paced, I found the gradual time passage to be compelling. What approaches in the early Reagan era is an understood foreshadow (for anyone with a basic grasp of gay/AIDS history, but particularly for those who lived through that awful decade; I didn't, but have many friends who did).

The setting, Philadelphia, is given both loving descriptions and deserved swipes. So
PaperMoon
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great sequel read - bravo Mr Provezano.
Elisa Rolle
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
2014 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Ted
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MESSAGE OF LOVE is a remarkable achievement in gay romance, and sets the bar high for the gay genre. If the majority of gay romance written today were of this caliber, gay romance would likely be catapulted into the literary main stream.

MESSAGE OF LOVE is romance at its best, regardless of whether it is an opposite or same-sex relationship. In MESSAGE OF LOVE, the devotion to one another by the 2 MCs is perhaps its most redeeming quality. This breakthrough novel explores and relates the joys, ch
Anke
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars

I read it in record time, unputdownable, nevertheless not much really happened. I didn’t like the cheating and I found Reid was too accommodating, Everett was too dominant.
manatee
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The prose was still annoyingly clunky. The characters speak and think like 40 year old men instead of 20 year old college students. The scenes are clumsily set up, but the wonderful and touching relationship at the center of the book still endures. The love shared by Reid and Everett remains beautiful and inspiring. Their love story is really moving.
Wojtek
Ross
Jun 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Two new reviews say the sequel's fine as a stand-alone 1 5 Sep 30, 2014 05:21PM
Jim Provenzano is the author of the novels Now I'm Here, PINS, Monkey Suits, Cyclizen, the 2012 Lambda Literary Award-winning Every Time I Think of You, its sequel Message of Love (a Lammy finalist), and the stage adaptation of PINS. His short fiction collection Forty Wild Crushes was published in 2016.

A journalist in LGBT media for three decades, and the guest curator of Sporting Life, the world'

Every Time I Think of You (2 books)
  • Every Time I Think of You