Start by marking “The Body Institute” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Body Institute

Carol Riggs

The Body Institute

In a future when being overweight means additional taxation, an innovative weight-loss clinic comes up with a ground-breaking system. Trainers have their brain waves downloaded into overweight clients so that they can lose the weight for them. Seventeen year-old Morgan Dey jumps at the chance to earn credits to help pay off some family bills.
While Reducing for a client, M
Paperback
Published January 6th 2015 by Strange Chemistry

To ask other readers questions about The Body Institute, please sign up.
Ian Wood I hear your plea! It's like every YA author thinks her main female character is so weak that she needs to be validated by having some guy take over…moreI hear your plea! It's like every YA author thinks her main female character is so weak that she needs to be validated by having some guy take over her life, then the story becomes about that instead of about the original topic. It's insulting to suggest that women can't function without a guy around!

The guy is usually chiseled, too, with hair falling into eyes (which always have gold flecks in them - probably from the glitter in his hair). And it's better if he's a bad boy, too, because who would want a decent, respectful, considerate guy who would give a girl some space and allow her to lead her own life? LOL!

The problem is though, that as long as people continue to buy these books, authors are going to continue writing them regardless of how demeaning they are.

I was thinking this might be an interesting novel until I read your review! Now I'm not so sure!(less)
Carol Riggs UPDATE! As of January 2018, a companion novel is in the works. It is written from another character's point of view but continues the story where The…moreUPDATE! As of January 2018, a companion novel is in the works. It is written from another character's point of view but continues the story where The Body Institute left off. It will continue the themes of body image and weight loss in a climate of government control. Stay tuned!

Hi Kaeleigh, thanks for your question, especially since a lot of people have been wondering about a sequel. Originally I had a sequel in mind, but as my agent and I were looking for a publisher for The Body Institute, Lissa Price's STARTERS came out. At least as I had my sequel outlined at the time, there were too many similarities between the plot of it and Starters (assassination attempts, etc.), so we thought TBI should probably be a standalone. I could conceivably come up with a different plotline for a sequel at some point if I wanted, and there are definitely threads that I could use or unravel a bit to continue the story that I have in TBI. I would just have to alter the plot and make sure it was unique enough not to sound like a copycat version of STARTERS. It likely would not involve the issues of weight loss, body image, and identity that I have in TBI, which was the point (theme) of the novel.(less)

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

“Your assignment is complete. Restoration is scheduled for oh-nine-forty-five today in the administrative building.”

This was an interesting sci-fi story about a girl who switched into other people’s bodies to help them lose weight, and there were some shocking moments!

I felt quite sorry for Morgan in this story, as what happened wasn’t her fault, but left her i
Lyn *GLITTER VIKING*
Aug 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, dnf
Update 5/26/2016

I'm not sure why people are getting so pissy over this review, but I'm more than happy to block nasty little trolls and be done with it. I don't have time to sit here and babysit this review. Not every book is going to be liked by everyone. Grow up and get over it. I'm already pissed off that there was an author on this thread trying to tell me that I'm wrong.

DNF: 10%

I was enjoying this one a bit. But the more I read, the angrier I was becoming.

This is a LOT of fat shaming in th
Carol Riggs
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book and it's my "baby," so how can I give it any less than 5 stars? I've had awesome fun writing it, along with some hair-pulling and tooth-gnashing moments. It has evolved from more contemporary beginnings into science fiction, had the ending majorly changed at least 3 times, and taken a long and winding road to its birth. I'm proud of finishing and publishing this as my debut novel.

Many heartfelt thanks to my agent, critique partners, and the team at Entangled Teen for helping m
Elana
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to read this book a bit early, and I absolutely loved it. From relatable characters, to delectable writing, to a stellar plot, THE BODY INSTITUTE has it all. If you like smart YA with the perfect touch of romance, you'll love this book!
puppitypup
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
YA Suspense I'm impressed!

Okay, first off, full disclosure. The author is a friend of mine in real life, although, I did meet her on GR first. It's funny, I've had many people confuse me with my identical twin over the years, but that usually happens in person. Carol met my twin, then, one day, saw my pic in GR and figured out who I was. First time that's ever happened :)

You, my friends, know that I am not here for the benefit of the authors. If a book is subpar, I'll tell you. If I was a profes
Martina Boone
This is wonderful and scary and beautiful and thought-provoking. LOVED it!
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I have to say that I would love to be in another body and change it. I would love to be someone else who does not have a busy life. I would love to lose all the weight and be toner than I am but I am not sure I would want to pay the price for having all those changes.

Morgan Dey is one of the top ten Reducers at The Body Institute. She takes over another girls body and changes her body by getting it in shape and then she returns to her own body where she resumes her reducer life. This seems
Rezeda
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
3 1/2 stars, really. I am just mean today)))
And it's captivating: I've read it in two evenings, which is unusual for me, as I am a slow reader.
What I did not like: it has an uneven pace - sometimes rushes, sometimes drags, - and a bit too-direct message. With the last bit, I am not sure if it's just my perception, because I've found that some folks managed to misread that message (ok, they dnf, but! For me it was pretty obvious at 2% into the novel, I think... ) and even post a rant-review here.
Kimber Wheaton
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Unique urban sci-fi with a very intriguing premise.

I was hooked the moment I read the blurb. The idea of uploading someone's mind into another's body is fascinating... it also has the implications for so much abuse. For main character Morgan, what she originally saw as a dream job turned into something all together different.

I liked Morgan. She was opinionated, and her opinions about weight and body image were made known thr
Cristina Valencia
The premise of The Body Institute sounded very interesting to me, similar to Starters (which was a great book) but with the weight loss twist. Unfortunately it didn't live up to its potential. It was a good book but with such an interesting subject, it could've been much better.

I had trouble connecting with the main character, Morgan. For some reason I just couldn't relate to her and the way she spoke. When a book is written in first person, I feel like I really need to like that character's "v
Karen
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, sci-fi, romance
See my full review KissinBlueKaren

The Body Institute has a really interesting book about a society so focused on weight it goes to extreme measures. This is a fun YA science fiction read.

I found this a pretty interesting read. It kept my attention. I loved that it was a stand alone, although if it had a follow up I would probably read it. There were a few issues that were too coincidental to be plausible, mostly the love interest’s identity. I liked the slow reveal of “like” in this romance th
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
That was science fiction terrifying at its finest. While it is a similar idea as the Starters duology, it takes a very different execution. Some of the lessons were a bit heavy handed, but it brought up a lot of ethical issues.

I could absolutely see this happening and it scared the crap out of me! I was glad the book was able wrap itself up as a stand alone. Worth the investment!
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

The Body Institute is a really unique sci fi dystopian YA novel. I loved the concept behind it and thought it was executed really well. This is one of those books that really makes you think – and you know how I love that! I’m not going to bother summarizing this one (you can read the blurb for that). Instead I’ll move right on to my review.

What I loved:

The unique concept.
As soon as I read the blurb for this book, I w
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
The Body Institute contains the type of story that is frightening to think about because it could possibly happen one day. One day science could advance to a point where it is possible for people to switch bodies and that the government can control more things - such as a persons weight.

We all ready live in a world where how much we weigh matters, but not to the extreme that it does in The Body Institute. In this world, the government will tax you if you weigh more than 20 pounds over what they
Anjie Basi
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2015
Plot/Concept: The Body Institute is definitely a whole new concept, one that I have yet to come across. I think that it was a great choice, given how prominent weight is discussed in our world today. Coming from a nutrition background, I know that every 2 out of 3 Americans are either overweight or obese and these numbers are projected to increase. So it was really interesting to see these numbers and how social media interpret and treat that population nowadays paralleled into the book. The plo ...more
Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress)
What a book!! This one just grabbed me by the hair and yanked me right along for a thrill ride. I absolutely loved it! Morgan lives in a dystopian world where people are fined for being overweight beyond an acceptable range. A special institute was created where people who are good at exercise and losing weight can be hired to swap bodies and lose the weight for you. Sounds outlandish at first, but let me tell you, the author did an amazing job with both her worldbuilding, and with the scientifi ...more
Danielle
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, kindle, net-galley
E-copy received courtesy of NetGalley.

Every time I read a dystopian novel I tend to feel grateful for the world I live in, despite all the horrible things going on, because the world I just finished reading about is usually a whole lot worse off. It also tends to frighten me a bit because the future is unknown and I do not want to live in a world that has annual events that pit children against one another to fight to the death, or a world where I am trapped in a god awful maze or have a diseas
Alyssa Marie
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
*Thank you very much to Net Galley and the Publisher for my copy of this book!*

The Body Institute by Carol Riggs is a Young Adult book in the Science Fiction genre. It is a story with such a unique concept, one I have never read anything like before. Morgan’s job is being a reducer – where she takes over another girl’s body for a period of time. While she is in their body, she loses weight for them and helps them get fit and healthy. Reducers turn back into their regular lives and own bodies onc
Krystianna
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Thanks to Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

The Body Institute was an eerie science fiction novel that I completely ate up! It follows Morgan, who works for this place called The Body Institute. Basically, people can loan out their bodies for someone called a reducer to tone up and make slimmer. It's a way to keep obesity down, so many people donate their bodies to do this, especially because people in this society are taxed for being overweight. Th
Icefox1992
Sep 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I had to put this down it was down right pissing me off. Excuse my language but what the fuck is wrong with the author! Body swapping idea to loose weight... ok, (thinks- for those who are in dire need of it) but course not its anyone who CANT FIT INTO A SIZE ZERO!

What first tipped me off was that who "fines for being over weight" blah blah blah that over weight... All this "book" if you want to call it a book was is the author bitching and shaming people for being even a little bit over weight

t
Kristin
DNF. Didn’t care for the writing style and the story was shaping up to be so-so. I got other shit to read.
Rute Gaspar
I haven't read it yet..but it seems a bit like #starters by lissa price...
Liralen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ya, 2019, reviewed
The Body Institute envisions a future in which the US government has taken to levying heavy fines on anyone who doesn't meet their health criteria. Smoke? You'll be fined. Eat 'junk' food? Pay a steep tax. Fail to lose 'extra weight'? Fines that grow more and more expensive. Meeting government-set health and exercise goals, by contrast, earns you points that can be spent on things like prize draws.

Morgan has drunk the sugar-free Kool-Aid. She's thin and fit and eager to go to tech school...but h
Sandra "Jeanz"
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

INITIAL THOUGHTS
So I discovered this one in an email from Entangled Teen, and read the description and was immediately intrigued with the whole brain map/body swap element of the book. So I was looking forward to reading and reviewing this book for my blog.

MY REVIEW
I requested and received an e-copy of this book from Entangled Teen via Netgalley. The main feature of the cover is a female and the reader has a view through the outer body into the brain inside. The very cryptic byline of "are we ou
Kat
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I didn't expect to have so many issues with this one! I didn't hate it--there were a couple things I liked--but there was so much that didn't work for me. I will say that most other readers seem to like this book a LOT more than I do, so the things that bugged me might not necessarily bug other people.

I might get a little ranty in this review.

There was so much emphasis on appearance and size and the bad of being overweight that I feel like any body image positivity could barely shine through. I
Aleya
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to receive this book from Entangled (through Netgalley) a few days back (that does, in no way, affect my review). Once I started the book I wasn’t able to put it down—luckily enough, I was in the car for 4 hours so I had plenty of time to read. I had heard about this book back in June through a Meet the Newbies Twitter chat. During this chat I found many new authors and books. The author I talked to the most that day (and over the past month) was Carol Riggs, the wonderful ...more
Dana Wright
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read for anyone who likes angsty teen reads. If you enjoyed Unwind then you will like this one.
Kelly Gunderman
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley-reads
Check out all of my reviews on my blog, Here's to Happy Endings

This book had an incredibly interesting premise, and I thought it was written very well. Set in the future, we start off with our main character, Morgan Dey, a teen Reducer at The Body Institute, who is finishing off a job in a loaner body.

Before I continue, let’s talk a little bit about The Body Institute. The Body Institute is an agency that works with overweight citizens to help them lose weight – in a very interesting way. Since
Sara Tickanen
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Find this review and more on my blog, The Reality of Books: https://therealityofbooks.wordpress.com

The Body Institute by Carol Riggs is one of the most well written ARCs I’ve read thus far this year. Originally I clicked on it because the cover intrigued me. I was mildly concerned upon first reading the summary that this book was borrowing a little too much from Lissa Price’s Starters series. However, having heavily studied Starters, (I even wrote a thirty day lesson plan for teaching it at one
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on [Between My Lines]This book had such an interesting premise as you can see from the synopsis.  I’m all about books that tackle body image and the surrounding issues and I had a lot of expectations for this book.  Were they met?  Kinda!

Balancing the books is a quick fire review where I list the assets and liabilities of a book (as I see them) and leave you decide if you think this book is worth investing in.
balancing the books

The Assets of The Body Institute by Carol Riggs:
Young Adult at Heart: The Body Institute (January 2016) 17 6 Jan 29, 2016 05:11PM

• Mindwalker (Mindwalker, #1)
  • Awakening
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
  • Behind the Stars, Complete Series (Behind the Stars, #1-6)
  • Wordless (Words Made Flesh, #1)
  • Edge of Truth
  • The Letting
  • It's a Wonderful Death
  • Niko
  • Tunnel Vision (Tunnel Vision, #1)
  • World of Ash (Ash and Ruin #1)
  • Amaranthine: The Heart of Decompose
  • Salt (Salt, #1)
  • Mirror X (The Van Winkle Project, #1)
  • The Foxglove Killings
  • The Edge of Forever (The Edge of Forever, #1)
  • The Polaris Uprising (Polaris, #1)
  • Outshine
I'm a writer of Young Adult fiction who lives in the beautiful, green state of Oregon. My sci-fi debut, THE BODY INSTITUTE, explores themes of body image and identity. Cool news!--this book is on track to be made into a TV series with NBC/Uni and producer Lane Shefter Bishop.

My other books are BOTTLED, THE LYING PLANET, and Books 1-4 of the JUNCTION 2020 series. I have a Studio Arts degree and I'm
“Am I less of a person because I weigh more?” 0 likes