Start by marking “Big God” as Want to Read:
Big God

Big God

Published (first published April 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Big God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big God

Start your review of Big God
Sally O'Loughlin
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really helpful book on the subject of God's sovereignty. I've come away with lots to think about and lots more questions.
Benjamin
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Un livre qui nous amène à détourner les yeux de nous-mêmes pour les fixer vers le Dieu de la Bible - un Dieu qui est vraiment aux commandes de ce monde.
L’auteur présente la vision biblique de la souveraineté de Dieu (en évitant tout langage théologique, pour être le plus accessible possible) et aborde les implications de cette réalité dans nos souffrances, notre évangélisation, nos choix, et notre vie de prière. Vraiment excellent, vivement qu’il soit traduit en français.
Scott Kennedy
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, 2018
Great book that simply explains God's sovereignty over all and how that should impact our prayer, evangelism and decision making. It's not afraid to ask the tricky questions, and it doesn't take the common easy answers that ultimately aren't satisfying. It challenges the reader to unshrink their view of God. Despite being a complex topic, Saer does not resort to technical terms. I'm thinking of using this with my Year 9 students at high school.
Rachel Menke
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
This is a great resource that I will be recommending to many in the future! I thought I had a good grasp on the sovereignty of God but was convicted of ways that I “shrink” God in my words and thoughts! I love that he applies a chapter each to four different areas where the sovereignty of God is often misunderstood (trials, evangelism, decision-making, and prayer). I will be referring back to this book often!
Gareth Russell
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, chatty, introductory book about how God is in control of EVERYTHING. Saer specifically avoids tackling tricky theological terms like sovereignty, Deism, or Calvinism which might put off readers. Instead, he opts to let the Bible speak clearly and then carefully applies it to everyday issues of suffering, evangelism, decision-making, and prayer.

Highly recommended.
Dan Mason
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent biblical primer on God's sovereignty and Providence in salvation, suffering, prayer, evangelism, and decision-making. Far from exhaustive or comprehensive, but deep and thorough enough to equip Christians to think rightly and deeply about these issues and to dialogue with others who may be struggling to understand.
Sam Knecht
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Saer offers an extremely accessible description of our big God. This book is perfect as a giveaway, or a text to move through with a new believer.
Tom Robson
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was superb, tackling some big questions by looking to an even bigger God. Some deep truth about about what it really means to believe in a sovereign God.
Magda Lech
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A much better read compared to the previous book I was reading. A great, short book.
Gavin Felgate
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is all about how easy it is to forget about God's role in your life, or make Him "small", by putting other things before Him. Much of the text is all about the concept of how everything you do, everything that happens to you, is all part of God's plan. It's a bit of a mind-blowing concept, especially the idea that there's no way that I can spoil things, but I found it quite reassuring to know that God is always in charge, even if things don't seem to be going right.

The book felt quite
Matt Mason
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Winsome, biblical, brief, often humorous and accessible treatment of weighty questions like how does the idea of God's sovereignty fit with (rather than militate against) things like suffering/evil, evangelism/mission, prayer, and decision-making. Some propose: if God is that "big" doesn't this equal fatalism? Why pray or evangelize? We're just puppets on a string, etc. Saer holds these things in a healthy tension while not backing down from the clear statements throughout Scripture that God is ...more
Mundy Carroll
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great little book - one I'd love to stick in the hands of many of my brothers and sisters. As the author states, it's an entry level book, so there is much more to be thought of and said on many (all) the topics he covers; but yet it is a clear, straight-forward and encouraging book. About the sovereignty of God, about our responsibility as people, about the comfort a BIG God offers to Christians.

Of particular help were the chapters on a) suffering and b) God's will.

The kind of book
Justin
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, really. Pretty good little introduction for believers who are struggling with the idea of a sovereign God and how to harmonize this with topics like evangelism and decision-making. The author does a great job making the book very readable and accessible, though dealing with a profoundly deep subject.
Jennifer Steinhoff
This was a quick read, but not a book I will soon stop thinking about. It tackles some of the most confusing apparent dichotomies in the Bible in a very accessible way. I appreciated all the examples and analogies. It's also incredibly routed in scripture -- you don't have to take Saer's word for anything he says; you can look it up!
DeWayne Wright
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! This should be required reading for every believer. Saer gives insight into the sovereignty of God. He helps his readers to grasp hold of the real God of the bible. I will definitely read this again.
Josh
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
A great book for discipling someone struggling with how God's sovereignty relates to suffering, evangelism, decision-making, and prayer.
Chad Gray
Great!
Nisin Mathew
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Book. Loved all of it especially the chapters on evangelism and prayer.
Zachary Martin
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful work on God's sovereignty and our responsibility in different areas of Christian life. I highly recommend Saer's book.
Victor Chininin
Apr 25, 2015
Adam Letson
Aug 09, 2016
Hopson
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic little book on the sovereignty of God and how it relates to suffering, evangelism, decision-making, and prayer. Highly recommend this one.
David Loughbrough
DeAron Washington
Oct 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Why Can't We Be Friends?: Avoidance Is Not Purity
  • Can Science Explain Everything?
  • Calico Joe
  • The Unquenchable Flame: Discovering the Heart of the Reformation
  • Adventures in Human Being: A Grand Tour from the Cranium to the Calcaneum
  • Evangelism as Exiles: Life on Mission as Strangers in our Own Land
  • I Heart Christmas (I Heart, #6)
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • Prayer: How Praying Together Shapes the Church (9marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • Grace Defined and Defended: What a 400-Year-Old Confession Teaches Us about Sin, Salvation, and the Sovereignty of God
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • Transformed by Truth: Why and How to Study the Bible for Yourself as a Teen
  • The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Swans Are Not Silent, #3)
  • The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the Lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd (The Swans Are Not Silent, #2)
  • The Legacy of Sovereign Joy: God's Triumphant Grace in the Lives of Augustine, Luther, and Calvin (The Swans Are Not Silent, #1)
“When Paul talks about singleness and marriage as gifts, he’s not referring to a state that God has awarded us for life, but without actually having the decency to tell us. He’s simply referring to both marriage (and specifically the expression of sexuality within marriage) and singleness (specifically the freedom from unconquerable sexual temptation as a single person) as gifts conferred by God. They go with the turf, not with the individual.” 0 likes