Start by marking “The Beekeeper's Son (The Amish of Bee County, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beekeeper's Son (The  Amish of Bee County, #1)

The Beekeeper's Son

(The Amish of Bee County #1)

A strange, mystical place allows Deborah and Phineas to see themselves and others with new eyes.

When Deborah Lantz arrives in Bee County, Texas, she expects to find a great oasis of citrus groves and olive trees. Instead, she finds a tiny Amish district struggling to make ends meet on a barren, drought-stricken land. Deborah longs to go home to the lush, green countryside
Kindle Edition
Published 2015 by Zondervan

Frankie Lovely
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Frankie Lovely by: ✶Rachelle✶
Shelves: recommended
Review to come

My first ever plunge into Amish romance was a good experience.
Dawnie
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have a huge interest in armish life for some reason.
so of course i enjoy reading about it!

but this book was one of the best i have read in a long time.

the writing is very well done, i really enjoyed how this was a romance but not in the typical sense and it wasn’t the making ich’s of the book, it happened -as it does in real life- on the side of everything else and i loved that!

i really enjoyed his this was mostly about life changes - big and small ones- choices and unforeseen ale events that
✶Rachelle✶
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This book was SO GREAT. Seriously. I was happily surprised by how much I liked this book (I stayed up until 4am reading woops).

***Minor spoilers below***

Abigail, Deborah's mother, has decided to move her whole family from Tennessee to southern Texas after her husband dies. She connects with an old flame, Stephen, and wants to give romance with him a second chance. Deborah is furious with her mother for uprooting her whole family, her whole life. While in Texas, she meets Phineas, a lone
Kym McNabney
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I freely admit that I am not a fan of Amish fiction. I also admit that I have not read many Amish books, nor many authors that write Amish fiction. What I can admit is how blown away I am with THE BEEKEEPER’S SON by KELLY IRVIN.

Upon receiving a copy of THE BEEKEEPER’S SON, I tossed in my pile of books in need to read and reviewed, not giving it much thought. Truth be told, at a glance I read the title as The Bookkeeper’s Son. Once it reached the top of my stack, it was then that I realized
Brittany
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Beekeeper’s Son is a wonderful beginning to a new series. I had not read any books by this author before, but I will definitely be reading other books by her in the future. I enjoyed the story from the start to the finish.

The vivid descriptions of the south Texas landscape really made the story come alive to me. I could feel the sun burning down from the sky and the parched land under the characters feet. The descriptions and interactions of all of the characters felt very real to me, as wel
Kristina
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Beekeeper's Son by Kelly Irvin is a lovely Amish romance. Abigail Lantz is a widow of two years and has relocated her family (four girls and one boy) from Tennessee to a small settlement in Texas. Her brother, John and his family life in Bee County, Texas along with an old beau, Stephen. Abigail's brother convinced her to move to Bee County. He is hoping romance that Abigail will marry Stephen. Abigail wants to get away from all the memories of her husband, Timothy. She loved him dearly.

Abi
Tina Watson
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Do you like a book that draws you in from the start of reading it? Then look no further, The Beekeeper's Son is that book. I was on my the edge of my seat the whole way through this book.

Could you pick-up your children and move from green Tennessee to drought-stricken land Texas?
Could you have a relationship with a man you turned down in your late teen years?

These are the first two questions that Abigail Lantz had to answer before leaving her farm in Tennessee, to move to Texas to get reacquaint
Christy
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Where are the Mordechai's and Phineas of this world. This was a wonderful Amish fiction read; anyone who treasures this genre go find this book! You will be transported to Beeville County in Texas where a struggling Amish community is sticking it out. Kelly Irvin's descriptions took me right there with the intense heat and sparse fields and genuine family. One of my favorite things to read about his hardship and community and this story is laced with both. It's an excellent read where so many au ...more
Jessica Chittester
God is good; this is the underlying meaning in this book.
This is a fantastic love story between two couples who’s hearts have all taken a beating. I felt for these four people. Loss, loneliness, hope, love, fear - I’ve felt these things before and it was raw and emotional to witness it happening in this book.
Please read it. You’ll be grateful you did.
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I read the novella in the collection by Amy Clipston, Ruth Reid and Kelly Irvin before I read this. So I knew somewhat who would marry whom when I went into the story. That contributed to the predictability of this story, so it was all my fault. I remember reading an early book by this author and thinking that the hits just keep coming. And it is true in this story. One, right after another, a tragedy occurs. The writing was stellar, but really had no passion in it. It didn't come alive for me.. ...more
Leah
The Beekeeper's Son doesn't pull any punches. In fact, from the summary alone you know the entire story already and within the first few chapters all the details are laid out so you can easily tell where everything is headed. Even still, I enjoyed this one! Perhaps not as much as I had hoped and, at times, it can be a little over-dramatic (especially when it comes to scenes where the characters need to be thrown together somehow), but it was still a fun ride that I enjoyed taking.

For the full re
Brittany
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I have read this book a couple of times before in print, however, I recently purchased the audiobook and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the narrator did a nice job. I still loved the plot and the characters, just like before. It was very fun to listen to this on audio.
SheLove2Read
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A sweet story of second chances and looking within a person's heart to find happiness .
Leah
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an emotional read. I enjoyed this book as much as the novellas in this series that I have read, and I am looking forward to the next book in this series.

I liked the MC, Phineas/Phin and Deborah. I preferred Phin, though. They both had interesting back stories, especially Phin. I actually liked Hazel the most. She was a cute child. Abigail and Mordecai had an interesting story, too. Although, I prefer Mordecai.

Overall, I liked the ending of this book. It would have been better if both o
Kate Singh
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've had my fill of Amish fiction, yet this kept my interest to the end. I enjoyed it and will be looking for more of Kelly Irvin's fiction when I'm in the mood for Plain folk and some wholesome storytelling.
Lorraine
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Widow Abigail Lantz moved her son and four daughters from their home in Tennessee to her brother’s farm in Texas. It was expected that she’d marry an old beau who showed up all these years later in Tennessee for a funeral. In Stephen’s letters to Abigail, he made Bee County sound like paradise. It was not….it was hot, dry and dusty and the Amish families that were there were having a hard time of it. Some families left.

Deborah, the oldest, was not happy about the move at all. She’d not only had
Maureen Timerman
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
How hard it must have been for Hannah, a young woman getting ready to court and eventually have her own home and family, to move hundreds of miles away. Her Dad has passed and her Mom has decided to move to Texas, and possibly rekindle a relationship with a former beau.
Bee County, Texas must have been one rude awakening when the Lantz family arrived. They had left lush Tennessee and now are in a rather barren land, in the midst of a drought. God does have plans for this family, and although you
J.C. Morrows
I have been so excited about this book and I can hardly believe I finally got my hands on it!

I have to admit… the first thing that came to mind when I read the blurb on the back cover was “Beauty and the Beast”!

No really – you read it and tell me it doesn’t make that story pop into your head.

It just goes to show… not even the Amish are immune to being singled out for their looks.”

Be warned – you won’t want to put this book down. If you pick it up, do so when you have a good opening of space to
Kav
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story about being open to following God's path instead of your own. Both Deborah and Phineas have internal conflicts that cause them to look back instead of forward. They are so mired in what could have been that they nearly miss out on the glorious future God has planned for them. I really took that message to heart. And I'll smugly admit to learning the lesson way ahead of the hero and heroine. :-) At their expense, of course.

There's great tension and conflict within the pages of t
Cindy
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, a great start to a new series from Kelly Irvin. The Beekeeper's Son had me up until 2:30 am trying to finish it. I just could not put it down. I have never really thought much about Texas having any Amish districts so the whole concept was new to me. Also, my grand-daddy kept bees so that caught my interest from the beginning. But it was truly the story that pulled me in. Kelly Irvin has written a story that just doesn't stop. The side stories were awesome and I knew from the beginning that ...more
Janice
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this on the Kindle

This is the 1st in a 3 book series, the setting is somewhat different as it set near Mexico
When Abigail moves her family there with the intention of Marrying Stephen an old beau she moves in with her Brother's family
I must say in this book the families in the area do struggle financially & as for Stephen well not a liked character not so much dislike just comes across as he who must be obeyed
The books are a ongoing storyline with what seems like a book for the 3 el
Hayleigh S.
Carolyn E
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great story!! I really enjoyed it.

The story is set in a small Amish community in Beeville, Texas. If you look on the Internet for "Beeville Texas Amish", you will find all kinds of interesting information about this settlement, including photographs of the Amish area in Beeville. I am not sure how they survive in this climate--hot, humid, and dry due to a long-standing drought, but they appear to be managing.

I found this book very interesting. I am looking forward to the next book in the
Susan
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, audio-book
Mrs. Irvin is now one of my top 10 all time favorite authors. I loved everything about this story. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Marie Buccellato
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Storyline is good just wish it moved a little faster
Cherese Akhavein
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in The Amish of Bee County Series: The Beekeepers Son: by Kelly Irvin,
Phineas King was terribly scarred after an accident which killed his mother, since that time he has harden his heart and learned to live a solitary life, which strangely suits him fine after all he has his bee's .
Deborah Lantz will be counting the days until she can leave Bee County and go back to Tennessee where the rest of her family and friends are. Her Mother uprooted her and her three sisters and
Amos Wyse
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Lantz family follow God's calling to Texas. Arriving, both Abigail and her eldest daughter find they have been led figuratively and literally into the desert. Each faces a path they did not choose and must come to understand that God's plan is seldom a destination but rather a journey. I found the book compelling. I cared for these characters early on and more so by the story's end. Definitely recommend this for fans of Amish fiction.
Christine Norvell
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first Irvin novel I've read, and I really enjoyed her character portrayals, especially the long tension between Deborah and Phineas. It was just as much a study of human nature as an examination of a faltering, and rare, Amish district in the southwest.
Emily
This was incredibly sweet! I've never read Amish fiction before, but I think I'm a fan. This story was sweet, the romances were innocent, yet not immature or unbearably dragged on. I really enjoyed this!
Patricia Wchman
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit of a cliche but my bleeding heart self couldn't put it down and am glad I didn't.
  • The Proposal at Siesta Key (Amish Brides of Pinecraft, #2)
  • Huckleberry Harvest (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, #5)
  • Caroline's Secret (Wells Landing, #1)
  • A Faith of Her Own
  • The Amish Clockmaker
  • Brightest and Best (Amish Turns of Time #3)
  • The Revealing (Inn at Eagle Hill #3)
  • A Woodland Miracle (The Amish Wonders #2)
  • The Bachelor (Plain City Peace #2)
  • A Plain Man
  • The Amish Firefighter
  • Amish Promises (Neighbors of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Redeeming Grace (Hannah's Daughters, #5)
  • Hidden Mercies
Tell Her No Lies is Kelly Irvin's latest foray into romantic suspense. It debuts in November 2018. Kelly's newest Amish romance series, Every Amish Season, includes Upon A Spring Breeze, Beneath the Summer Sun, and the latest release, Through the Autumn Air from Zondervan/HarperCollins Christian Publishing. This follows the Amish of Bee County series, The Saddle Maker's Son, released in June 2016. ...more

The Amish of Bee County (3 books)
  • The Bishop's Son (The Amish of Bee County, #2)
  • The Saddle Maker's Son (The Amish of Bee County #3)