Start by marking “Cats, Scarves and Liars” as Want to Read:
Cats, Scarves and Liars

Cats, Scarves and Liars

Meet Peppa Grove.

Peppa is just your average Australian young woman, really. 23 years old, widowed and owner of a cat who can speak perfect English. (But no one will believe her about the cat.) Why is she being stalked by one of the customers from her job at the City South Post Office? What secrets does the mysterious Ivory Black know about Peppa and her past? What does he
Published April 21st 2014 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Cats, Scarves and Liars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cats, Scarves and Liars

Start your review of Cats, Scarves and Liars
Brenda
Peppa Grove had very recently lost her husband Tony to a hit and run accident; she was still grieving and her flat showed the evidence of that - dirty dishes in the sink; washing not done; a general messy and untidy air throughout her home. But she just couldn’t get the energy to do anything about it. She’d returned to her job with Australia Post in Adelaide City and though she normally loved her work, she did wonder why she was there.

When strange things began to happen – her cat started to talk
Kathryn
Jul 19, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Cat's Scarves and Liars is my own book, so it's not really fair for me to add a rating. (Though I'm tempted to give it five stars. After all, I'm the one who sat down and wrote the bloody thing.) Anyway, to clarify a point that has been raised by some readers, I live in Australia and was taught to read and write using British English, which follows different spelling conventions to American English. Some words, such as colour have a "u" in them whereas in America the same word would be spelled " ...more
RYCJ
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Good. I like the quiet edge to the paranormal writing. It was a first; reading about a talking cat…and a cat getting around with an old man attitude.

The Mmeh Okay. I liked ole’ Charles, though it took a moment to wrap my thoughts around a talking cat, trying to figure out Peppa.

But then the Best Part was this being the lead in, in not getting too comfortable to figure things out. The Cats, Scarves, and Liars are just getting started. I scarfed through the puns and everyone’s interest in Pepp
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I enjoyed this book and its twists and turns. There were several things I was able to clue in, but a couple of things completely took me by surprise, and I must give the author kudos for that.

My only real complaint is that I wish this book was a little longer. It's a somewhat quick read, more of a novella, and while I enjoy novellas as much as novels, there's a few things in here that I think could have been expanded more, particularly the whole thing with the LSD and paranormal investigation.

I
Peggy
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
After the first paragraph, I knew I would love Peppa Grove, and had to read on. A bargain kettle from a market stall. Yep, that would be me, and who doesn't love a bargain. Peppa felt like a friend to me straight away. She chats to us in the first chapters, telling us about her young husband who died in a car accident, her job at the local post office (I loved that section and anyone who ever worked in customer service will have a good giggle), her best friend Julian. And she chats to her cat.

Bu
Rowena Holloway
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A twist of magical realism makes Cats, Scarves and Liars a thoroughly enjoyable and unconventional exploration of the darker side of human nature lurking in bland city apartments.

Peppa Grove is grieving the sudden death of her young husband and just trying to get through the endless day when her cat starts talking to her. Has she finally lost the plot, as her friends and co-workers believe, or is there some other explanation? The answer, when revealed, will confront everything Peppa has ever bel
H.M.C. H.M.C.
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Cats, Scarves and Liars by Kathryn White is a breath of fresh air for an Aussie lass who swears like a truck driver. It's difficult sometimes for me to read characters that are supposed to be gritty, who turn around and say things like, "oh gosh, darn it." Thank you, Ms White, for not holding your tongue with the language and giving me a huge amount of chuckles throughout this book with the smart arse'ness' that is a Peppa.

Peppa has her flaws, as we all do. One is her inferiority comp
Gaby
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
So as the cover states, this is meant to be an offbeat thriller, and it is!
Peppa is quirky, though a little immature and simple minded at times. The storyline is zany and out there, similar to "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" (perhaps a controversial opinion) but in an obviously different genre. It was a quick read, and I'm glad I got the chance to check it out.
That being said, I had three issues that I find worth bringi
Caity
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
★★★★½

This book follows a 23 year old woman called Peppa whose life is a bit of a mystery. She was adopted at birth by her mother’s cousin for reasons unknown to her at the time, and her husband has recently been killed in a hit and run. There seems to be a middle aged man, a customer from her job at the post office, stalking her and there are strange deaths happening over Adelaide. How could everything possibly be linked?

I’ll admit it: I was sceptical going into this book. It’s based in Adelaide
Courtney
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn’t really know what to expect when I got the request to review this book. All I knew was that I couldn’t turn down a book that had a cat as one of the main characters.

Cats, Scarves and Liars is a very quirky book. It is full of humor and can make you laugh. It is a pretty light read and is easy to get through.

Peppa is a really likeable protagonist. Her personality really gives the life to this book and makes it fun to read. The supporting cast was also written very well.

The storyline wa
Annette
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Cats, Scarves and Liars by Kathryn White was a goodreads first read win.
I liked the character Peppa, she sounded eccentric and off beat with her tattoos (her body seen as a canvas), and her rings and studs. The other characters were plausible and the plot was considered and unfolded throughout the book. I didn’t like the humans turning to animals though, I thought the characters and plot could have been evolved into a story without them. It was weird, but I didn’t feel it was a thriller, I did
Trish
Jun 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To begin let me say that 1 star is actually generous!

What really pissed me off were all those typos! This isn't a self-published novel as far as I could find out so there should have been a publisher somewhere in the process which makes the amount of typos in this book simply unacceptable (actually, I've read quite a lot of self-published books and they had either no typos at all or just a few).

Also, reading this book until the very end was a real fight and more than once I was tempted to give u
Sue Gerhardt Griffiths
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh, I had no idea when I opened up my Kindle to read Cats, Scarves and Liars that I was going to be reading an offbeat and peculiar paranormal story. I surprised myself how much I enjoyed this novella. I don't normally read anything paranormal but if there are any stories similar to this one I think I just might give it a go.

I loved the character Peppa, what a sweetie. When her cat started talking I became intrigued and wanted to know more. The tale started off fairly light then further on it be
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
death and dark family secrets are just a few of the many storylines in this book. Peppa is the main character in this quick read and is at the very centre of the madness and I couldn’t get a hook on her at all. The detail focussed on what was happening to Peppa (which is a whole lot!) and her own thoughts, feelings and personality were not present enough for me to believe in her.

There were some plot lines which didn’t quite add up for me; For example, Peppa spends most of the book saying she isn
Ruth B
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Peppa, a 23-year-old woman, recently widowed whose cat can speak. At first, it looks like a simple story about a simple woman. However, this story has many revelations and surprises. It turns and bends with comical characters making it a fun and entertaining book.

Peppa not only has a peculiar name. Her personality is likable despite she is shy and never think is good enough. Of course, once you read about her family you understand more about her. Julian seems like a sweet ma
TDCbookreviews
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Do not pick up this book with the expectation of reading 1 or 2 chapters...you'll end up staying awake until midnight, even though you're completely exhausted and your bed is calling. White quickly draws you in with her captivating characters, plot and unique opening of "everything, no matter how unbelievable much of it may seem, is true..."
Meet Peppa. A young, Australian recent-made widow struggling on how to cope with life after her husband was suddenly killed in a hit-and-run. Who begins to h
Jill
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading "Cats, Scarves and Liars" by Kathryn White.

Peppa Grove is a young widow previously married to her childhood sweetheart Tony who has been killed in an accident. The book follows on with her life, as she works in a post office where strange events occur and she encounters the usual "nuts" that are common in customer service. Romance is also in the air. She has adopted a stray cat Sylvester who speaks to her in a sarcastic, sinister tone. The reader wonders if it is jus
Holly My Socks
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Offbeat and wacky. I would NOT call it a thriller (the author should DEFINITELY change the description) but a short sad and funny book about a grieving widow who gets more than what she bargained for when a stray cat starts talking to her.
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won this Through Goodreads First Read.
Awesome book. Weird and wacky. Will recommend to everyone I know. One to read over and over again. Loved it.
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
This review is also available at Cornerfolds!

Cats, Scarves and Liars... What can I say about this book? Well, the author doesn't believe in the Oxford comma, so we disagree there. Okay, so that's irrelevant.

This book claims to be an offbeat thriller and it's definitely not lying about the "offbeat" part. I would call it a blend of Amelia Bedelia and Scooby Doo, but I would not label it a thriller. In fact, I'd say the mystery part of the story is pretty predictable. The plot is largely unbelieva
Jules
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I got this book as a giveaway on Goodreads.

The bad guy's (Ivory Black) reasons for doing what he does are amateurish, childish and not at all as expertly in-depth as the author probably wanted them to be. A smoothing step is missing between him hating the main character and suddenly wanting to be in her life again.
There are quite a few plot holes, actually, and sometimes it seems like the plot was ordered differently before publishing, because stuff is explained several times over.
Repitition i
Cookie
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cats scarves and liars. NOM NOM NOM
Caroline
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting storyline. Bit frustrating when the protagonist takes a while to work things out! Few too many typos.
Ask Jane
Feb 17, 2016
Yesenia
rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2014
Kathryn White is an author, blogger and bookworm from Adelaide, South Australia. She graduated from Flinders University with a BA (Hons) in English Literature and has worked in a variety of fields, including a stint as a puppeteer. She has been an uncredited extra in two feature films.

Kathryn enjoys writing about young people who do not fit in socially, or who fail to meet the expectations of othe