Start by marking “Metalurg (Pomstitelia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Metalurg (Pomstitelia, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Metalurg (The Reckoners #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  115,750 Ratings  ·  11,233 Reviews
Pred desiatimi rokmi nastala Katastrofa, ktorá nezvratne zmenila našu planétu. Niektorým ľuďom totiž dala nadprirodzené schopnosti a vydesená spoločnosť ich nazvala Epici. Epici však nie sú dobrí superhrdinovia. Nie, sú to geniálni zloduchovia bez kúska súcitu. Nikto sa im neodvažuje postaviť na odpor. Nikto okrem Pomstiteľov – záhadnej, krutej a nepolapiteľnej špeciálnej ...more
Published October 9th 2014 by Vydavateľstvo SLOVART (first published September 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Metalurg, please sign up.
Nicole What a terrible way to approach a book. Let's see -- maybe it's really well written? Or has compelling characters or a gripping plot or any of the…moreWhat a terrible way to approach a book. Let's see -- maybe it's really well written? Or has compelling characters or a gripping plot or any of the other elements that make books good?

Just because the subject matter and/or genre "seem" like they've been done before doesn't mean they can't be done well again. That's the challenge that all writers face, after all -- to take a love story or a man v. nature tale and tell it in a fresh and compelling way. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jenni Frencham It didn't go through the robber. Steelheart was standing in front, and Death Point was standing behind him and was just about to try to kill him. When…moreIt didn't go through the robber. Steelheart was standing in front, and Death Point was standing behind him and was just about to try to kill him. When David's father shot Death Point, the bullet grazed Steelheart's cheek on its way to Death Point. (less)

Patrick
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got a chance to read an early version of this a little while ago. Needless to say, I jumped at it.

The reason for this is that so far, I haven't read a book by Brandon Sanderson that I haven't loved. That means it's quite likely that I'll get a chance to read another good book, which is always welcome.

OR I'll finally read something of Sanderson's I *don't* like. Which would thrill me, honestly.

Why? Well, because Brandon writes so much faster than me. It only seems fair that some of his stuff
Kat O'Keeffe
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I leave a Brandon Sanderson book completely impressed! This one had a fantastic story, great world building, and of course plenty of awesome action scenes! I enjoyed this book from the beginning, but it was really the last 100 pages or so that propelled this from the 4-star range to a solid 5-star book for me. Twists and revelations and enough questions that I'm just itching to pick up the next book immediately!
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I'm probably going to make Sandersonite heads everywhere explode when I say this, but STEELHEART might be my new favorite Sanderson book. *does NOT duck* *does NOT run*

description

Is it the most beautifully complicated of his works?

Is it the plot-twistiest?

Nope.

Is it the most direct and concise, sans anything that could be construed as meandering?

YAS.

I love Sanderson. Unabashedly. But as someone who's spent a cumulative ten years with my husband, I can state with authorit
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

This book is so good! ❤

I cried in this book because of something sad and then it wasn't sad because of reasons but I'm not sure because of . . .

I cried because of the REVELATIONS, REVELATIONS, REVELATIONS! They were so freaking awesome that I can't evennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

I've seen Steelheart bleed.
And I will see him bleed again.

Yes, we all know that line. Those that have read the book. This is what David thinks when 10 years ago his father was killed by Steelheart. Now Da
Emily May
Well... that was disappointing.

I've heard such great things about all of Brandon Sanderson's books and he's an author I've been meaning to read for what seems like forever. So I decided to pick up his recent young adult work instead of committing to a series with several releases already... well, all I can say is that I hope this isn't representative of all his books because Steelheart really disappointed me. In my opinion, there is nothing you can get from this book that you can't get from bett
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

So I'm going to start out by saying the only reason I docked half a star is because I felt the pacing of this story was a little uneven. It was not detrimental, but the most interesting portion of the plot unfolded quickly right at the end of the book & it was just a little off balance from the rest of the story.

Otherwise, this is one hell of a book!

After the world is visited by Calamity, average humans are randomly gifted supernatural powers. These humans are called
Robin (Bridge Four)
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Puny Humans, punny people and lovers of Heroes
3rd Read with by favorite buddy reading group Buddies Books & Baubles

Why should you read this series in a nut shell:

- David is the most Adorkable yes it is a real word character I've ever read.

- There are EVIL superheroes. EVIL SUPERHEROES!!!

- Lots of different kinds of action happening. Motorcycle chases, car crashes, one on on fighting...etc

- A really good twist (actually about 3 but they were all awesome) and I only semi guessed a smidgen of one of them.

- BAD METAPHORS.....look they
Alejandro
I've seen Steelheart bleed.

I always love when a book begins with a solid first sentence. And this novel was a good example of that.

PUSHED TO THE NEXT STEP OF EVOLUTION

This is my first book by Brandon Sanderson and now I realize why he is so popular and well rated by a lot of readers and reviewers. Certainly he has a great style and entertaining style that you aren't never bored of what is happening. I am aware that this novel is from a genre kinda new to him since this is a "super-hero" book
Giselle
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
This book = insanity!

This will prove my living under a rock, but I had not heard of this author before I went to Book Expo and got told all about his awesome status, and let me tell you, the praise is not unwarranted! Steelheart does not hold back; it's an edge-of-your-seat read with an intensity that requires you to put the book down regularly just so you can take a breather!

There are book beginnings... then there are Sanderson beginnings; the prologue is all it took to make me fall in love wit
Khurram
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Brendon Sanderson's books I have read. I really enjoyed it. From what I read on the synopsis of this and his other books his style tends to be post-apocalyptic world. This one looks like a Superman gone bad theme. This interested me to read this from a fantasy writer's point of view rather than a comic writes point of view. The way Steelheart is described to look exactly like Superman does in the comics and cartoons, except with a black cloke instead of the Red one.

An event
Anne
What if Superman was evil?
In fact, what if all superpowered beings were evil? <--and that's the premise of this book.

description

So. If (for unknown reasons) there were suddenly people granted superpowers, and (for unknown reasons) they all turned into bad guys, and they all (for unknown reasons) had secret strange weaknesses that made no sense - then who would fight them?
Enter the Reckoners!
A bunch of humans who ferret out the weakness and then kill the Epic. <--Epic is what these powered people are
Felicia
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I got to read this early. No spoilers, but it's FANTASTIC.
Bookdragon Sean
“I’ve seen Steelheart bleed. And I will see him bleed again.”

Epics are humans with super powers. These powers corrupt their souls, turning them into tyrannical murderers that think themselves divine.

Steelheart is one of these and he has the ability to turn anything he touches into steel, including his own skin which renders him completely impervious to harm. He murdered David’s father, but not before he managed to shoot him in the face leaving a scar on the supposedly invincible Epic’s cheek.
James Lafayette  Tivendale
I have had a few days off work this week and I must admit that I have found this book very difficult to put down during that time.

I was sceptical about approaching this book and have had it on my bookshelf for a while. I have read some of the Mistborn books and A Stormlight Archive and loved it and thought this book would disappoint me and just be a bit .. geeky compared to the complex magic mechanics and exceptional world building of the above mentioned.

It was geeky - yet in a great way and I
Elizabeth Sagan
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My relationship with The Reckoners series is like a relationship with someone you love deeply, despite the fact that they cheated on you and they’re chewing out loud (we all know that is a deal breaker). In other words, I adore the idea of this series so much that I can partially ignore the fact that it’s not that amazingly written. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favourite authors and I’m kinda disappointed that he chose such a light tone on this one when I know, I know, I KNOW he could’ve creat ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
The world kinda ends with an event called Calamity. Ordinary people get superpowers? Kinda sounds cool huh?
Well they don't use their powers for good. They use those suckers to rule the world!

The Reckoners are the group trying to fight against them. At times I got bored with them. They did spend too much time discussing plans. I didn't care. I just wanted shit blew up.

I did get entranced when the action started. That was intense and very well done.
This kinda reads similar to Xmen gone bad. I l
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 3.5

This book was a lot of fun to read. I'm not a fan of comic books, I enjoy superhero movies, but I've never been a fan of comics themselves because I'm not a visual person. I don't like pictures. I prefer words. For me, this book was the lengthy equivalent of a comic book, and that's just fine with me. That is not to say that I take this book and its themes lightly in any way; comic books can be quite complex, and this book certainly was. It addresses some complex moral and phil
Berit☀️✨
4.5 Steelhearted stars! from my 14-year-old reluctant reader and me!🌟

My 14-year-old son just recently began listening to audiobooks with me for about an hour every night, we started with some ghost stories and now we have moved on to fantasy.... and this was a fantastic choice! I’ve had this book on audio sitting on my phone forever, But fantasy and I don’t always get along, so I’ve been a bit hesitant.... what I learned with this is that fantasy is perfect for me an hour a day... so all those f
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lets just get it out there: Steelheart is a superhero novel and a YA superhero novel at that. Now don’t just run away now assuming this isn’t for you because before reading this book I would have thought that too.

I don’t know why, but caped crusaders never floated my boat and I’ve had enough bad YA to recognise the standard drill. Dystopian near future world – check, Love interest – check, Near constant action – check.

However I should not have doubted. Seriously, I am never doubting Sanderson a
Lo9man88
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr S"Anderson" didn't fail me so far, so why start now ?
It was a cool read: tight and smooth , a terrific world with new rules and a reality where people with superpowers are unavoidably villains with a god complex and a thirst for dominion, enter the reckoners : Defenders of the fellow man and banes to the oppressors ...
Suffice to say it's a must read.
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Meet Steelheart.

(I don’t know why my mind conjures Loki’s image whenever Steelheart is described.^^)

He is an “Epic” (could be a superhuman, an alien, a result of a science experiment, I’m not really sure) with supernatural abilities and strength and is the ruler of a city called Newcago. Wait…did I just say Newcago? OMG, I just have to…let me just…

Okay, I’m calm. Newcago, jeez. That’s ridiculous. [*wipes off a tear while still laughing]. To continue, Steelheart is one of the most powerful Epic
Gavin
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This was another great book by the ever dependable Brandon Sanderson. I knew there was a reason this guy was such a favorite of mine. It had everything you would expect from one of his books. Good world building, an interesting plot, likable and interesting characters, action, humor, romance, and even some surprise twists and turns along the way.

This was the tale of superheroes gone bad!. Ten years ago a mysterious new star, called Calamity, appeared in the sky and people started to d
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I was very excited to read this YA fantasy series - super powers? post apocalyptic-ish? Brandon Sanderson? Yes!!

I liked it but oh my, I cannot deal with the fake swear words (Calamity, Slontze, Sparks... like really?!)
I was about to lower my rating by 0.5 just because of this but the ending was good... Sanderson always writes good endings.

Will continue the series.
Lola
I thought this book would rock my world.

I mean, I have heard so much about this god-writer named Brandon Sanderson, whose fantasy works blow the minds of readers, that I needed to see if the hype around him was a well-deserved reflection on the author’s skills.

Well, you know, even if I disliked this book, I do believe he is a good writer. Honestly, I was very excited about the story in the beginning. The prologue was breath-taking and, in the following chapters, the author presented the world i
Beth Hudspeth
Review: Hello Beautiful Book Blog
Steelheart was awesome! Super fun and action packed with humor attached! Epic!

I loved David's awkwardness and stupid metaphors. The twist I did not see coming. It's hard to fool me!

David grew up in Newcago, a city in the future where the Epic, Steelheart rules. The book starts out with David trying to prove to the Reckoners that he will be an asset to them. He meets Prof, Megan, Tia, Cody and Abraham of the Newcago Reckoners. Once he is partly accepted he start
Yulitza Moncada
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UN MAGNIFICO 4/5 PARA ESTE SORPRENDENTE LIBRO.

Primero que todo les tengo que decir que Steelheart es el primer libro que leo de Brandon Sanderson, y me alegro mucho de haber elegido este para comenzar a adentrarme en las historias y escrituras de este grandioso autor.

Cuando leí la sinopsis de este libro quede flipando porque me gusto y mucho, siempre he leído libros donde las personas que tienen “habilidades” son buenos y siempre buscan proteger a las demás personas, y este libro fue la excepci
Regan
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
That was an awesome read! Full of action, super interesting story! I cannot wait until the next book! I love anti hero stories..
Evgeny
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with the following people: Athena, Armina, Gavin, Kat Stark, Desinka, Robin, Alexa, Shandra, Annette, Nicholas, Carole, Ashley, Eon, Kristen, Danae, and the latecomer Sarah

The easiest and shortest description would be, "X-Men gone bad"; I am sure somebody already mentioned this in a review. Anyway, in near future some people (called Epics) gained superpowers - all kinds of them. Have you ever hear the saying "Power corrupts"? What about superpower? In the dystopian society of North Am
Choko
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.25 ***

A buddy read with the Sanderson not-cult in BB&B

I can never write a review on anything Sanderson - never even attempted it. So, I will not do so now. I am just going to say that this was another fun, exciting and brain engaging story which in this case happened to be young adult. As much as some of us want to write off the genre as "young", authors like B. Sanderson and Pierce Brown create books which fit the genre, but transcend it with the quality of their wordsmithship and st
Hasham Rasool
When I find out this book is about superhero/supervillian I wasn't sure whether this book will be a good book to read and also I thought it is very strange because I have never seen any author writes a book about superheroes or supervillians. Normally we would have seen superheroes/supervillians storyline in the comics/graphic novels.

I do find David a bit annoyed because he is too obsessed about Megan.

I am looking forward to watching 'Steelheart' movie but same time I am unsure whether 'Steelhe
  • Perdition (Dred Chronicles, #1)
  • Promise of Blood (Powder Mage, #1)
  • The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
  • Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris, #2)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • The Twelve-Fingered Boy (Incarcerado, #1)
  • The Oathbreaker's Shadow (The Knots Sequence, #1)
  • Pathfinder (Pathfinder, #1)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • The Trials of Renegade X (Renegade X, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

The Reckoners (3 books)
  • Firefight (The Reckoners, #2)
  • Calamity (The Reckoners, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“Never throw the first punch. If you have to throw the second, try to make sure they don't get up for a third.” 274 likes
“Sometimes, son," my father said, prying my fingers free, "you have to help the heroes along.” 148 likes