Start by marking “My Tank Is Fight!” as Want to Read:
My Tank Is Fight!

My Tank Is Fight!

My Tank Is Fight! contains a humorous and exciting examination of 20 real inventions from World War II that never saw the light of day. Each entry includes full technical details, a complete development history, in-depth analysis, and a riveting fictionalized account of the invention's success or failure on the battlefield.
Dive under the Atlantic in the turreted U-Cruiser,
Published October 3rd 2006 by Citadel Press (NYC) (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about My Tank Is Fight!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Tank Is Fight!

George
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
This book was recommended to me by a friend based on my review of the Badass by Ben Thomson, so I started this book with the expectation of simplistic and basically vulgar dictionary with lot of hilarity. I was only slightly disappointed but I managed to quickly readjust my expectations and continue enjoying in the book. The hilarity mostly comes from the fact that these ideas were seriously considered and from the authors critiques of these frankly idiotic machines... I swear that his roasts of ...more
Christopher
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in WWII and willing to have fun with it.
30 foot high super-tanks.
U-boats that crawl out of the water on treads.
Backpack helicopters.
Aircraft carriers made out of ice.
Spaceplane bombers
Flying tanks

They actually built 2 of those in at least prototype form.

Funny stuff, well-organized, and aimed at the fan of WWII as a pulp-adventure. I wish the author had kept going. Yes, I know the Germans had a real knack for the absurd weapons, but he couldn't find anything in the Pacific Theatre? Weren't the Japanese going to bomb the Panama Canal wi
Joel Hacker
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun exploration of failed technologies of World War 2, and name for a great Darkest of the Hillside Thickets song!
Julian
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Military buffs and wise acres.
Great illustrations and funny as hell, I very much enjoyed this book. The history is generally accurate (I would know, but the fact that I can determine it's accuracy is something I am none too proud of) and so is a useful reference book. My main complaint is that My Tank is Fight is anticlimatic. He chose to follow the fictional story lines through to carry and organize the different tank, airplanes, etc. This made sense except it did not work dramatically. The book comes to a fizzley end on so ...more
Victoria(:
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny look at some of the inventions and wanna-be super-weapons with great illustrations from World War II. Since Germany lost, their embarrassing secrets get to be revealed to everyone, the Nazis dominate this book with some of the ridiculous things that all of us should be thankful that they spend their time and money on — since if they had concentrated on stuff that worked, it would have been very bad for the rest of us!
I have to sayI liked getting to know such inventions, especially i
Michael Elia
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I happened upon this book in the history section of B&N, and didn't buy it immediately. The name alone is a little silly and I bet it puts some people off.

Being a war history buff in addition to an alternate history buff [yes hard SF is my genre of choice], it stuck in my mind. Ultimately I returned to the store asked them to find me a copy, and I definitely have not regretted it. The diagrams showing relative sizes of these weapons are really well researched, even if some of the written ban
Erik Graff
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: kids fascinated by WWII
Recommended to Erik by: John Elkin
Shelves: history
Produced by the website SomethingAwful.com, the oddly (as if a poor translation from the Japanese) titled My Tank is Fight is a cross between a book and a comic. Mediocre illustrations (but not so bad if judged by comic book standards) abound of each of the weapons considered for, but not used in, the second world war. Some, such as the iceberg aircraft carrier contemplated by the Allies, are truly strange. Others, such as the German supersub, appear to have been simple improvements of actually ...more
Stewart Tame
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
First off, I love the title. I would dispute the publisher's categorization of this book as "humor.". Yes, it's funny in places, but overall it seems more "history" or even "military history" if you prefer. Yes, there is a certain outlandishness to these inventions, some more than others, but that doesn't automatically make them funny. Some of the chapters go into more detail than interests me, but the book is generally engaging and well-researched. Parsons includes a section in each chapter in ...more
Alan Edwards
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very funny look at some of the inventions and wanna-be superweapons from World War II. Since they lost, and therefore their embarrassing secrets get to be revealed to everyone, the Nazis dominate this book with some of the ridiculous things that all of us should be thankful that they spend their time and money on - since if they'd concentrated on stuff that worked, it would have been very bad for the rest of us. The Allies don't get away scott-free - the giant aircraft carrier made of ice proj ...more
King Ævil
Apr 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in weird World War II paraphernalia
Shelves: humor, world-war-ii, 2007
An entertaining and fascinating look at some of Nazi Germany's futuristic and/or bizarre weapons projects that never quite made it to deployment. Written in a surprisingly scholarly and restrained hand for someone whose name is usually connected with [http://www.somethingawful.com/]. I'm extremely skeptical about the claim that any German researcher had completed and tested a nuclear weapon, much less a tritium-boosted implosion device. It took the USSR until 1949 to test such a device, despite ...more
Wally
Aug 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, comedy
I liked it, but its not entirely my topic. I liked getting to know such inventions I have to say, specially in the way the writer does it. I certainly laughed a lot reading it. But for me the hypotetical deployment and the hypotetical battle were almost the same and too much as well. But I can certainly see that someone that is really into such topics would enjoy it. I have to say I really liked the epilogue though. But for me I either read a novel on it, or I read the history, but both in the s ...more
J. Kent Messum
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This book delves into some of the plausible and outlandish inventions and intentions from military scientists/developers of both axis and allied forces. It's pretty incredible the kind of prototypes they were imagining and testing throughout WWII while both sides were looking for decisive advances in technology and combat to turn the tide of battle. If you have any interest in military history, like I do, then I recommend digging into these pages.
Friedrich Haas
What is with the cover and title, I don't know, for they actually kept me from the book. There are details/descriptions about the proposed weapons, which you can get in better looking books, but also short stories of them in action, and that is the draw. I started skimming the tech talk to get to the What If's, and the last one really hit. I wanted more. Happy to add this book to my collection.
Cloak88
A "what might have been" collection of WWII wacky weapons.

This was a pretty fun read. Parsons collected a lot of weird might-have-been weapons, equipment and the strategies based on those weapons/ equipment. Among others expect giant stupendously large tanks, heli-troopers and giant ice-ships.

In other words: if you'd like to take a look at some of the weirdest war-projects of the WWII era than this is a book for you.
Jessica
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I bought this book for my boyfriend, a history buff and frequent visitor to somethingawful.com (the website that Parsons helps run). He brought it to my house one night, where I picked it up out of boredom and was surprised to find that I enjoyed it. This is not really a subject that I am normally interested in, but Parsons made it very funny and informative without going over my head.
Jonathan Gillespie
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History junkies,WWII aficionados,veterans
Relentlessly funny mix of fiction and factual data covering the weirder weapons of World War II. Sheds some light on certain systems I'd never heard of, such as Vampir night vision (actually used by the Germans), and some of the more infamous projects I had heard of, such as the HMS Habakkuk.
Matthew
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was an interesting overview of extreme mega-weapons that were on the table during the Second World War. Most were from the Germans, though a few were from the British or the Americans. The book provides Information on supertanks, personal helicopter apparatus, submarines with tank treads, stealth fighters, space flight, and a German atomic weapon.
Adam Christian Smith
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kinda funny "what ifs" had the Nazis actually finished any one of their "wonder weapons".

One of the funniest things about this book and all the documentary books/tv shows on this subject to me is that they always seem to imply that Germans did all the engineering in WWII.

The United States and Britain actually did complete a few wonder weapons ourselves: primarily the atomic bomb.
Scott
Dec 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I'd heard about this book years ago, but just got around to finally reading it. I'm amazed at the amount of research done into each article. I'm also amazed at the stupidity of WW2 scientists in thinking that any of this stuff would work with the technology they had available. Much better than I expected.
Bill Leach
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is about some of the more bizarre designs for weapons during WWII. While most are German designs, there are also entires such as MHS Habbakuk, a huge boat that was to built out of ice. Good illustrations, a bit on the history of each and basic specs, accompanied by fictional pieces relating to each.
Jonathan
Jan 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book promised to be very funny but turned out to be very boring. The bare facts are interesting, but the fictionalized treatments ("what if . . ." ) were tedious. I didn't make it past chapter 5.
Nathaniel Lee
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Meh. Really. I expected a lot more funny and a lot less dry technical discussion and diagrams. If you're the sort who can read long lists of weaponry specs and A) understand them and B) care, then go for it. For me, it was a real snoozer.
Ali
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Amusing articles about off-beat military inventions from WWII, mostly from Germany. And mostly pretty bloody stupid and wasteful. The author described each, and then speculated on how it might have been used had it actually been put into production.
Christopher
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Informal review of some of the more outlandish (yet actual!) weapons and vehicles considered by both sides in World War II. The book includes fictional scenarios depicting the tech in use. These sections are entertaining, while the non-fiction sections are informative and seem well-researched.
Evan
Oct 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A guide to some of the weirder prototypes of World War II, written by an editor for the popular website Something Awful. Recommended for anyone with an interest in strange(But real!) weapons or even just general WW2 history.
Andrew Johnston
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A standard-setter for popular history. It contains a good mix of technical information and layman-friendly writing, so it should be accessible to anyone. The narrative element is odd, but it's interesting and perfectly skippable for anyone not interested.
Luca
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nifty little book to learn about the lesser known innovations in the 2nd World War.
Amy Bodine
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun and interesting.
Twilight Sparkle
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's very goony.
Robert Blue
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Christie flying tank story is classic.
  • Stupid Wars: A Citizen's Guide to Botched Putsches, Failed Coups, Inane Invasions, and Ridiculous Revolutions
  • The Tailor-King: The Rise and Fall of the Anabaptist Kingdom of Muenster
  • Roosevelt's Centurions: FDR & the Commanders He Led to Victory in World War II
  • The Nazi Occult
  • The Gettysburg Address: A Graphic Adaptation
  • Ancient Inventions
  • Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World
  • War on the Waters: The Union and Confederate Navies, 1861-1865
  • Nineteen Stars: A Study in Military Character and Leadership
  • The Last Battle: When U.S. and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of World War II in Europe
  • The United States of Absurdity: Untold Stories from American History
  • How to Lose a Battle: Foolish Plans and Great Military Blunders
  • Monsters: The Hindenburg Disaster and the Birth of Pathological Technology
  • 50 Battles That Changed the World: The Conflicts That Most Influenced the Course of History
  • Hell House: Other TRUE Hauntings from Around the World
  • The Autobiography of General Ulysses S Grant: Memoirs of the Civil War
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Medieval Knight!: Armor You'd Rather Not Wear
  • Napoleon's Privates: 2,500 Years of History Unzipped

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Zack Parsons is a Chicago area writer known for his acerbic commentary and bleakly humorous science fiction. He has authored two non-fiction books, MY TANK IS FIGHT! and YOUR NEXT-DOOR NEIGHBOR IS A DRAGON. His works, including That Insidious Beast and CONEX: Convict Connections, have appeared online and in various published anthologies including A COMMONPLACE BOOK OF THE WEIRD: THE UNTOLD STORIES ...more