Start by marking “Rayne Shines” as Want to Read:
Rayne Shines

Rayne Shines

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Rayne is bored with life, until a new family moves in next door. Why do they look so happy? Rayne wants to know their secret. Rayne Shines is a humorous and thought-provoking picture book for ages 5-7.

In a subtle and humorous way, the story shows how attitude and perception create either happiness or misery. Rayne learns that gratitude, playfulness, optimism, and simplicit
Published March 6th 2014 by Single Drop Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rayne Shines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rayne Shines

Storywraps
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rayne is a frog. She has two very unhappy and disgruntled parents who find fault with just about everything in life. They decide to go out to eat and find the food is disgusting and dreadful and the service in the restaurant is very inadequate too. A new home is being built next door to them and they express that the shape and colour is all wrong ... and on and on and on ... all negative, all fault-finding, all depressing comments that drag a family down and suck the happiness out of living.

The
Teddy O'Malley
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rayne Shines is a book with a hilarious twist on learning to count your blessings.

Rayne is a young frog whose family always complains. Mom complains about movies. Dad complains about music. Everybody has something to complain about. Rayne was brought up to complain right along with them.

But one day new neighbours arrive. Their little girl, Sunny, always sees the positive in everything. Maybe after playing with Sunny for a while, Rayne will learn to see the positive side of things, too.

This is a
Amara Tanith
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Rayne Shines was a pleasant surprise, telling a "positive thinking" moral of relaxing the urge to preemptively judge experiences and letting oneself have fun via a story about a cynical frog whose character development is actually reasonably organic and gradual, given how short the story is. While I didn't enjoy the art style of the book, the story itself was rather cute and refreshing.

My full review of Rayne Shines can be read here at Amara's Eden. A copy of this book was provided free by the a
K. Balec
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rayne Shines is a lovely children's book with a message about the importance of a positive attitude. The grumbling and negative feelings in Rayne's family breed dissatisfaction with every aspect of their lives. When the new neighbors move in, they teach Rayne that happiness and enthusiasm are contagious too. Rayne learns that encouraging words and an upbeat disposition can change even her own family. A great book for all readers!
Ellie
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents with children under 7
Cute story with a deeper meaning.

I love the way the author shows her audience how much negative comments (and negative thinking) can affect us all. She also reminds the reader that a little bit of positivity goes a long way. The art is fun and colorful and should be pleasing to young children.
Scott Spotson
The message is very delightful. Negative thinking gives way to positive thinking. How true! It's not what you have that makes you happy, it's what you do with it that makes you happy!

Despite the irony of using negativity to rate a book about positivity, I do feel my further comments can be construed as a positive means to improve this book.

The artwork is clearly important and takes up half of the book, as it should. There is a reason we have children's artists out there; they know how to make th
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Rayne Shines is such a cute book. I loved the cadence of the text, the colorful yet simple illustrations, and the book's message.

Ferrante uses just the right amount of words on each page to keep the pace perfect. The text doesn't rhyme, but because of the cadence to it, it doesn't need to rhyme to be engaging. I love it when children's book authors draw their own illustrations, and Ferrante's illustrations are perfect for the story.

Rayne is, of course, a frog. I liked that she and her family di
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
The Grays don’t have that much fun. They don’t enjoy anything they do. Rayne Gray, the youngest, was bored with her toys, grossed out by the food at the restaurant, and acted just like her parents who found something wrong with EVERYTHING! Most of all, Rayne couldn’t understand why the new neighbors were so HAPPY. When Sunny, the new frogs’ daughter, invites Rayne to play, Rayne is taught to see life in a new way.

This is a wonderful book with a marvelous message. It tells you that, if you look a
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Rayne Shines by Bonnie Ferrante is a great children’s book that explores the topic of being happy with what you have. The plotline was easy to follow. I would say that children ages 2 – 5 would like this book most. There are study questions at the end of the book.
I received this book free from the author for an honest review. To keep my star rating unbiased on books I receive for review exchanges, I have developed a matrix available in a cataloged (11-9-2014) blog post for “On Being a Writer,” w
Bob
My Kid is a bookw...: Win a free paperback 1 2 Mar 25, 2014 10:38AM
Goodreads Authors...: Contest for free paperback 1 7 Mar 25, 2014 10:36AM
Making Connections: Win a free paperback 1 8 Mar 25, 2014 10:34AM
Writers and Readers : Rafflecopter giveaway 1 2 Mar 24, 2014 08:52PM
Bonnie Ferrante is a hybrid writer (publishing traditionally and self-publishing). She was a grade school teacher for thirty-three years, ten as teacher-librarian. She has received three OAC grants for her writing. She has recently entered the field of self-publishing and is greatly enjoying illustrating her own picture books although this becomes more difficult as her Parkinson's Disease progress ...more