Start by marking “A Rapariga de Auschwitz” as Want to Read:
A Rapariga de Auschwitz

A Rapariga de Auschwitz

É um relato de uma sobrevivente ao Holocausto e da sua luta para viver consigo mesma depois da guerra, uma homenagem a todas as vítimas que não viveram para poder contar a sua própria história e um esforço para assegurar que o legado de Anne Frank jamais seja esquecido. Eva foi feita prisioneira pelos nazis no dia do seu décimo quinto aniversário, tendo sido enviada para A ...more
Published 2014 by Marcador (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Rapariga de Auschwitz, please sign up.
Dawn Yes. Eva Schloss wrote "After Auschwitz" after "Eva's Story". The beginning of "After Auschwitz" is somewhat the same (though some details are differe…moreYes. Eva Schloss wrote "After Auschwitz" after "Eva's Story". The beginning of "After Auschwitz" is somewhat the same (though some details are different), but it goes past "Eva's Story" and into greater detail of Eva's life after the war, Eva's journey as a writer and speaker, and her involvement with the Anne Frank House. I read "Eva's Story" first, and liked this better. I recommend it.(less)

Start your review of A Rapariga de Auschwitz
Petra-X
It's all about six degrees both for the author and me. I had a small connection with Eva Schloss's mother, who would have been Anne Frank's stepmother, had she lived. There used to be an elegant cafe in Swiss Cottage (view spoiler) where there was a dinner-jacketed pianist tinkling the keys of a grand piano with pre-war dance music every afternoon. M ...more
Maria Espadinha
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Course in Miracles

I always experience a sense of greatness and smallness, whenever I read about Auschwitz survivors.

Greatness, cos they were all ordinary people -- anonimous human beings like most of us, who found some hidden powers which granted them life, while 6 million others like them, perished.
Therefore, since I'm also human, ordinary, and anonimous, by aplying the induction principle, I conclude that it's quite likely for me to have those very same fabulous powers hidden somewhere!...

Sm
Maria Espadinha
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Infinite Power of Hope

6 millions of jews perished in the Holocaust!

Eva Schloss survived!

How did she do it?

Hope? Luck? Miracles?...

She said in an interview that if it wasn't for hope, she wouldn't be there sitting and talking to her interviewer.
Not just hope -- she adds -- cos she was also blessed with some miracles!

I believe those miracles were conquered by her determination to go on living -- they happened, to testify the infinite power of hope!...

All in all, there's a great lesson in Holoc
Hilary
So hard to rate this book, a compelling account of a young girl who lived in the same street as Anne Frank and met her briefly before the war. At the age of 15, Eva was arrested and with her family sent to a concentration camp. The conditions were horrendous and by some amazing luck(view spoiler) ...more
Cait Finnigan
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A few months ago I finished speaking, and looked down at a class of schoolchildren. A Somali girl with dark eyes hesitantly put her hand up and asked, 'Do you think it will happen again?' I can't answer that, but maybe you can. Will it? I hope not."

In this short and direct conclusion, Eva Schloss sums up her life story with a single wish, never again. Schloss' book is gritty and painful to read, like any Holocaust memoir must be. However, this hope permeates through the darkness. Her hope for a
Maria Carmo
A powerful, direct book. I believe the Author was definitely inlfuenced by her time in Holland, becauseher style is in a way "very dutch" - straightforward, candid, focusing on a true account and sharing even emption in a streamlined way...
Anyway, one of the aspects of the book that I most loved was the fact tat it satrted BEFORE the camps and it finnished around 2012. The gift of this is twofold: on the one hand, it brings a lot of color into the story, not just the helpless grey of stories com
Ankur Rastogi
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"After Auschwitz" is a very moving autobiography of Eva Schloss.

While everyone is aware of Anne Frank because of her diary and her museum, not many know about Eva. Anne's father lost her wife and her daughters. He later married Eva's mother who had lost her husband and her son in the holocaust.

Eva survived after spending time at the Auschwitz concentration camp. This is her story before and after the horrific days.
As expected from any survivor's tale, it is extremely moving and at times painful
Bronwyn Hegarty
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and well-written story. Surprisingly even though I wanted to keep reading it didn't move me as much as I thought it would. perhaps if it had been written more from the heart it would have. It is in the voice of someone standing back from the events and maybe that is because Eva has never really let herself fully feel what happened to her or let others see her pain. Well worth a read.
Trish
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not even try to give this a justified review.

Eva's 15th birthday she was captured by the Nazi's and taken to Auschwitz. There she endured so many things unimaginable. After liberation, her mother married Otto Frank, Anne Franks father, and we hear Eva tell what it was like before, during, & after Auschwitz.

Words cannot describe. That is all.
Rita Costa (Lusitania Geek)
I always was a fan of holocaust / WW ll stories. What an amazing story, this tells the how horrific and the fear it was, being a jew in Amesterdam, the friendship she had with Anne Frank, the separation of the family, the Auschwitz crimes and nightmares they went through, the loss and they way to continue their lifes after what they witnessed.

In my home country we have a saying in which this biography shows you clearly, after the storm comes the calm. We always have to chin up independently how
Todd Myers
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eva's story of how she and her mother survived Auschwitz and her life after Auschwitz. Eva was born in Austria and had to move after the German Nazi's came in to the country. Eventually ending up in Amsterdam, the family became brief acquaintance of the Frank family, living in Amsterdam as well, even knowing Anne for a little while. After the Holocaust Eva and her mother returned to Amsterdam, her father and brother having passed. We see her life and her thoughts after this time, and how Otto Fr ...more
Monica Anderson
Both sad and encouraging. I discovered this book at the Auschwitz-Birkenau bookstore in Poland. Eva's story and her tie to Anne Frank weave a personal connection to a story we know so well and one we did not. The juxtaposition of one girl living and one girl dying provides such a stark reminder of the toll WWII's atrocities took in the Jewish communities. We should all remember and choose compassion.
Bon Tom
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There can be no justice if it doesn't happen in THIS world"

Boy, how true is that.

The fact I can't get desensitized to these holocaust stories and always come for more is a bad thing in a good kind of way. I suffer all along every time, but some things must not be forgotten.

Good part of this book is about aftermath of holocaust, mental, social, and physical state of survivors, which is something that definitely received less publicity than actual events.
Andrea
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compelling autobiography of Eva Schloss and her survival after being in a concentration camp, this book helped understanding of life during German occupation and how prisoners coped in Auschwitz. It was also interesting to read about her life after the camps were liberated, since so many prisoners hadn't been lucky enough to survive.
Diz
A moving story told by Eva Schloss, Anne Frank's stepsister. Eva talks not only about her experiences of hiding from the Nazis in Amsterdam and her eventual experiences at Auschwitz, but also talks about her struggles with dealing with this experience since the war. This is a very moving story.
Debra
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an engaging book of survival and courage. Thank you Eva Schloss for sharing your story so the world can remember the value of kindness, freedom and independence.
Sigourney
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Heartbreaking and incredibly sad, but so inspiring and important. Eva Schloss is a remarkable woman.
Olivia
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book, Disregard the Bad Reviews, you need to read what happens before and during Auchwitz to understand what happens After.
Julie Hinshaw
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a powerful account of the aftermath of the Holocaust. I love that Eva's story took us through the Holocaust, then allowed us a peek into what it was like to put the pieces back together again. This was truly and beautiful, moving, and inspiring account of the beauty that can come from ashes. We read Night by Elie Wiesel in my 8th grade class each year. This is a great way to follow up that story. I highly recommend this book!
Megan
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat muted exploration by Eva Schloss about her life and the impact of the Holocaust and its legacy on her and those around her. Having seen interviews of her in connection to Anne Frank, I kind of expected this book to focus more on her connection to Anne but it is something that is not really touched upon. Indeed, Eva delves into her relationship with Otto Frank, particularly in regards to her children, so Anne is not someone that is discussed in great detail. I think that this book is t ...more
Shahrun
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eva's remarkable story starts with a lovely life in Vienna,to persecution from the Nazis,fleeing to Amsterdam,going in to hiding ,being betrayed and ending up in a cattle wagon to Aushcwitz.
Her father and brother forced to the men's camp and Eva and her mother to the women's.
Their hair shaved,possessions taken from them,starved and forced to stand outside for hours in roll call,all for just being Jewish.
Their time in Auschwitz is horrific and Eva tells of one moment when working in Canada,going
Tim Garner
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In its own quiet way this book is profoundly moving and sensational. Eva's story - from her idyllic childhood in Vienna is overlain with the subtle and evil atmosphere of the coming German Anschluss and before you know it the family are being displaced as refugees to Belgium and then Holland. In Amsterdam you see the humanity of some and the evil of others as Jews are either hidden and protected or turned over to the Nazis. Unfortunately Eva's family are betrayed and they are sent to Auschwitz. ...more
Hester Maree
The name of the book is deceptive as the first half describes the lives of the Schloss family before and during World War II. The story is told from the point of view of Eva, who survives the holocaust, together with her mother, Fritzi. Her brother and father do not.

Eva’s mother is remarried after the war - to Otto - the father of Anne Frank, who sadly perished at this time and whose famous diary explains her life during the extermination of millions of Jews under Hitler’s reign.

The second half
Tilly Midgley
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"After Auschwitz" is the sequal to "Eva's Story" and charts the life and experiences of Holocaust survivor Eva Schloss after her liberation from Auschwitz concentration camp. Eva charts not only the loss of her father and brother but also her day to day struggles with anxiety and her battle to lead a normal life in spite of all the suffering that she has endured at the hands of the Nazi regime.

As with anything that deals with the Holocaust, this is a deeply moving and often difficult read. Eva's
Emma
I saw this book in a local bookstore in my downtown area and expressed to my friend how I wanted to read it, and how interesting it looked, etc. What I didn't expect was that she would buy it for me for my birthday! So I was quite pleased and overwhelmed when I received it.

As on the book itself, it was an insight on what life was like for people after the war, and what I found especially interesting was how we get a small glimpse into how Otto Frank was after the war. However, I especially liked
Michelle
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells a haunting story. I’m sure there are others out there, but I have never read a survivor’s story before. I had just finished her first book, Eva’s Story, immediately before reading this one, so the first half of the book was sort of repetitive, as she goes over her experience leading up do and during the Holocaust again. But starting halfway through the book there is new material and it is really interesting to hear a survivor’s perspective on the aftermath as well as life today.
Alexandra Alexyna
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that says a lot in very little pages. We follow Auschwitz's surviving Eve's journey through life, her special connection with her brother Heinz, her connection with the already famous Otto Frank (Anne Frank's father), and her life before and after the Holocaust.
Born in Austria, Eve's father (who in the book is referred to as Pappy) decided to invest in the Netherlands to protect part of the family's heritage. With Hitler's entry into Austria Pappy leaves for the Netherlands with his son H
David
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first glance After Auschwitz by Eva Schloss may look like another Holocaust survivor's account of their experience during WWII. Eva had been in hiding with her mother while her father and brother were also in hiding but at another location because the Jews were being rounded up and sent to concentration camps and death camps all over Europe. They had all been living in Amsterdam and on Eva's 15th birthday the Nazis captured them all on a tip from someone who had been involved in hiding them. ...more
Yasmin Halliwell Fraser Bower
After Auschwitz is a biographical story about Eva and her life before and after being a nazi prisoner. The books begins when she is just a young girl growing up in Austria, describing her family and everyday life. We follow her during the persecution, when she is running and hiding and when she is deported to a concentration camp and her life there.

This is a tale of surviving, of accepting your past and learning to live with it. She writes how lost she was after being freed, her career and famil
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• La niña que miraba los trenes partir
  • Adivinha quem não voltou pra casa?
  • As Gémeas de Auschwitz
  • Ajută-mă să nu dispar
  • Five Chimneys: A Woman Survivor's True Story of Auschwitz
  • The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank
  • Mendelevski's Box: A heartwarming and heartbreaking Jewish survivor's journey
  • Minimalismo 2.0: Como simplificar sua vida no século XXI (e diminuir seu impacto no meio ambiente)
  • Where Women Are Kings
From Wikipedia: "People Associated with Anne Frank" -

Eva Geiringer shared a remarkably similar history with Anne. The Geiringers lived on the opposite side of Merwedeplein, the square where the Frank's apartment was located, and Eva and Anne were almost exactly the same age. Eva was also a close friend of Sanne Ledermann, and she knew both Anne and Margot.

Eva described herself as an out-and-out

News & Interviews

“Everything you do leaves something behind; nothing gets lost. All the good you have accomplished will continue in the lives of the people you have touched. It will make a difference to someone, somewhere, sometime, and your achievements will be carried on. Everything is connected like a chain that cannot be broken.’ In” 1 likes
“A lo largo de mi vida he visto avances técnicos increíbles. Cuando nací era raro tener un coche con motor, pero en la época en que cumplí cuarenta años el ser humano había aterrizado en la Luna. Curamos enfermedades, fabricamos armas nucleares, conocemos el mapa de nuestro ADN, navegamos por la red informática y desarrollamos alimentos y medicinas genéticamente modificados. [...] Sin embargo, en términos de humanidad, parece que en miles de años de experiencia hemos avanzado bien poco.” 1 likes