Start by marking “Love's Sorrow (Means of Mercy #1)” as Want to Read:
Love's Sorrow (Means of Mercy #1)

Love's Sorrow

(Means of Mercy #1)

Hired as a nanny for her cousin’s children, Anne Tearle finds security and a loving family. The children are a dream, but London society is a world of its own, one where a displaced farm girl has no business being. But, wealthy rake, Gavin MacKay, helps her to see associating with the upper class might not be as horrid as she first assumed.

Like all things worthwhile, love
Paperback
Published April 21st 2014 by Roane Publishing (first published April 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Love's Sorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Sorrow

Start your review of Love's Sorrow (Means of Mercy #1)
Georgianna Simpson
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love’s Sorrow is the first book of the Means of Mercy series. I had a confusing time with this review, at first, until Sandy found out this was to be continued in the next book.
The story is well written and intriguing. A historical romance with all the finery and dresses we love to hear about. Anne Tearle is a young orphaned farm girl, raised in her uncle’s house by a wicked evil aunt. Cinderella type story has her uncle (not evil like his wife) going to live with an estranged cousin in the guis
Sophie Dufort
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Four and a half stars

A review copy was provided by the author in return for an honest review.

May I begin by apologizing to the author for the extended delay in finalizing this review. I wasn’t very well lately, and this is likely to impact my reading speed over the next few weeks as well, but please bear with me, I’m getting there.

I must say I am rarely so impressed with a novel. Terry, thumbs up! This is a great book, and I am giving it four and a half stars. There were a couple of reasons I di
Christy Thomas
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love’s Sorrow started wonderfully. I was immediately drawn into Anne’s world by the wonderful descriptions of London through the eyes of a servant girl. The sights and sounds were details that brought this story to life. I went on the ride with Anne as she saw the difference between the upper class and lower class citizens and she made a transition to the upper class when she married Gavin MacKay.

I admit, even though I read the blurb, I kept waiting on the happily ever after between Gavin and An
The Talent Cave Reviews
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
Title: Love’s Sorrow (Means of Mercy 1)
Author: Terri Rochenski
Publisher: Roane Publishing
Genre: Historical Romance
Novel Length
Reviewed by Maven

5 Stars – Highly Recommended Read!

Love’s Sorrow is a bittersweet story that drew me in from the start. As I read Anne’s and Gavin’s story I was struck with the knowledge I love stories with a historical feel, and this story will give you the sense of reading history. The life of a servant girl back in the day was a tough life to live, but then add in the
Bling
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love’s Sorrow was an unusual read for me, in a good way. I expected a typical historical romance but got something truly different.

Anne, the heroine, has been invited by her well-meaning cousin to London, who wishes to introduce her to society and improve her circumstances. In the beginning of the book, Anne comes off as a naïve, eager-to-please, yet endearing heroine. She has been physically and emotionally abused by her guardians, and every time she was surprised by the smallest kind gesture
Harlie Williams
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
As most know my reviews can be long-winded, gushing, thought-provoking and sometimes even funny. Well, this one is going to be different. I have to admit that this book is my first ever book hangover. Yes, I’m THAT type of reader that doesn’t get the hangover nor do I understand the whole “OMG, the new ____ book is out and I’m taking the day off from life to read it” and then talk about it for a week on Facebook. Again, I’m not one of the cool girls but that’s okay.
Unfortunately, my review of Lo
Laurie
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book went in a direction I never expected, though in hindsight the clues were there. I loved the “Flavor” of the story as it started out. Anne is a poor orphan taken into the home of her wealthy cousin. Anne’s expectations are low; she is grateful to escape the brutish clutches of a hateful aunt, and expects to earn her keep as a servant in her new home. Her cousin has other plans for her; however, and introduces her to the snobbish elite of London.

For wealthy, handsome Gavin MacKay, Anne
London Saint James
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wonderful book Terri. You did a great job on this historical romance and I am looking ahead to the next book in the series to see how things go for Anne.

LadyCalico
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gosh I'm tired. I made the mistake of starting Love's Sorrow in the morning while just trying to lay-back for a few minutes until my coffee kicked in...well, there went the rest of my day! Then I had to download Love's Revenge so I could move into it instantly...well, so much for my evening. Then I still needed more and downloaded Alone No More (not part of the series, but a stand-alone novelette)...kiss my sleep-time goodbye. Yes, they were that good!
R. Brennan
Hung over...
Lillian Summers
Four and a half stars

A review copy was provided by the author in return for an honest review.

Michelle
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me up late into night. I can't wait for book two. This is a series, therefore book one doesn't have a typical romance ending.

A great read if you are looking for something with a deep plot that combines historical England and American culture and romance.

A rich relative saves the girl from an unfortunate life. Girl falls for Rich man. The fairy tale life is broken. You will need to read it for more details.

The author does a great job of pulling you into the story and the pain that
Rebecca Hart
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the next in the series. Come on November!
Sharon Hughson
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This book drew me in right away. Orphan gets a chance to move up in the world thanks to relatives she didn't know existed. She escapes an abusive aunt. Anne is a hard-working, principled girl who sets her mind on doing everything in her power to show gratitude for this opportunity.
Usually, I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction. Colonial America, Victorian England and the Roman Empire are the exceptions. This lands in the mid-19th century and is set in UK and the Americas, so that didn't facto
Terrie Meerschaert
Poor orphan Anne Tearle's life seems to be heading toward a happy ending when her distant cousin invites her to London from her mean-spirited aunt's farm. Ostensibly hired as her cousin's nanny, Anne is pampered and introduced to Society. A handsome Scottish rake sweeps Anne off her feet, but over time, their relationship falls apart.

I really liked the growth that Anne undergoes. I also liked the fact the the Scot is not as reformed as he would like Anne to believe. The struggles their relations
E.L. Irwin
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I saw this book has at least a sequel and I'm glad. Because what started off as a fairytale, dream come true story quickly turned into a heartbreaking nightmare. Then again, I was forewarned. The title is called Love's Sorrow. Sorrow is an apt word... I'm hoping things get better for this girl in the next book...
G.P. Gadbois
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love’s Sorrow is an intriguing historical romance which I enjoyed immensely. The young and naïve Anne is introduced to London’s society, servants, long dresses with crinolines, and she falls in love. Soon after she weds she faces challenges that are common even in todays’ day and age, and deals with them. Well done, Terri.
Ingrid Rose
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Wonderful plot and characters. Hard to put down. The problem I have is the end. it is almost a must to go to the sequel. Unfortunately I am going to imagine my own sequel. My problem is with the price of the sequel. I understand that free books using Kindle Unlimited is to introduce readers to an author in the hopes of getting readers to follow that author in the future buying books. The problem I have with this sequel is that it is $4.99 and only like 289 (less than 300) pages short.
Jeanne Johnston
Aug 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry, but this was a horrible, depressing story. Just when I thought there was going to be a redeeming ending, it simply stops abruptly. Seriously, yuk.

There were occasional ridiculous word choices, as well. "Well-bread young ladies?" There was a rare scone, but bakeries were not a big feature here. 😄
Christine Hayes
Treva
Dec 19, 2015
Benji Moncivaiz
Oct 27, 2016
Terri started writing stories in the 8th grade, when a little gnome whispered in her brain. Gundi’s Great Adventure never hit the best seller list, but it started a long love affair with storytelling.

Today she enjoys an escape to Middle Earth during the rare ‘me’ moments her three young children allow. When not playing toys, picking them back up, or kissing boo-boos, she can be found sprawled on t

Means of Mercy (2 books)
  • Love's Revenge (Means of Mercy #2)