Start by marking “How (Not) to Have a Perfect Wedding: Before She Can Live Happily Ever After... She Has to Survive the Big Day” as Want to Read:

3.06  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Anne is a professional wedding hostess at the most beautiful of the opulent mansions along Newport's seashore. She knows the smile she beams at her guests doesn't have to be sincere, just present. She's managed to maintain the illusion of pleasant composure through ten years of rowdy guests and sobbing brides. However, tonight Anne is afraid she won't be able to hold her t ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published October 26th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How (Not) to Have a Perfect Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How (Not) to Have a Perfect Wedding

Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This is definitely one for to read at the beach or on a snowy Saturday afternoon. The story about Allison and Mead's "perfect" wedding is told from the viewpoint of multiple characters, which is what makes this a fun read. The story could easily be made into a script for a Lifetime movie. It's probably not worthy of the 3 star rating...maybe more like 2.5 stars...because of the predictability of the outcome. However, sometimes it's just nice to enjoy a story for what it is - just like enjoying a ...more
Jun 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
I wanted to read this "beach" book because I was intrigued by the concept. The entire book is told from various points-of-view during one event, a wedding. We hear from the bride and groom, the parents, the bridesmaids, the groomsmen, the wedding coordinator, the photographer, the caterer, the staff, guests, etc. Really!

However, the concept was beyond the author's capabilities -- she attempted to write in first person the narratives of several characters and she often lapsed into stereotypes. No
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
probably gave this one more star than it deserved, but the book was entertaining. This was an easy and quick read. Don't expect a literary gem, though it is well written.

The story is about the wedding of Allison and Mead, two wealthy folks from wealthy families who invite other wealthly people to their platinum wedding. Each chapter is told from the point of view of different characters in the book. Obviously, each character has a different view of the wedding and his or her place in it. The ty
Jun 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor-romance
Everyone wants their wedding to be perfect, but is any wedding really perfect? How much hassle is involved in planning a wedding? What goes on behind the scenes of weddings of the rich and spoiles? This story is dedicated to all of these questions.

I loved how this book was written. Ryan used to be a wedding planner, so this book really gives some insight into what goes on before and during a "big wedding"

The author dedicates chapters to each person that is involved in the wedding. Anne (the dire
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This book wasn't the best chick lit that I've read, but it wasn't the worst, either. If we could give half stars, I would give it three and a half. I liked the way that the story was told from the viewpoints of a variety of characters. I liked the way that even though some of the characters were very stereotypical, the author seemed to know it and even addressed the idea of stereotypes in one of the conversations. I also liked the fact that the author seemed to see marriage as important and valu ...more
Mar 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: february-2008
I found this book to be quite amusing and I could see how the staff of the venue would view everything as they did. I did want to recommend this to all my friends and family (sometimes especially my family) to point out that I was so not a bridezilla as they sometimes called me. The main reason they said this was because I did say a number of time - "hello, this is my wedding. I am the bride," which I admit might be obnoxious, but I had to remind them that the reason I was doing things my way wa ...more
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't normally choose books with wedding themes, but this was a book club pick and I'm not sorry to have read it. The characters were varied and quite human, as opposed to the expected stereotypes. Viewpoints of the wedding from everyone from the staff to the bride made this interesting and sympathetic. It's not a heavy, dramatic story, but light and fun with a few serious moments that are met with civility and humanity by the characters.
Nicole Lynn Hoefs
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
I picked up the book randomly at the library & thought it sounded good. This book was just okay for me. It wasn't a page turner & I kind of had to force myself to keep reading at parts. But it was entertaining at certain parts. Some of the characters annoyed me, but that was probably the point, given the nature of the book.
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I appreciated this book. So often we focus on what's on the outside, rather than wondering what's within. This book illustrates that money can only help things APPEAR to look perfect.

I also appreciated hearing different perspectives on what a marriage means. It really helped me solidify my thoughts.
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was supposed to be just a piece of book candy, but it turned out to be a really fun read. It details the thoughts going through everyone's head while at an upscale wedding. I really, really enjoyed it and would actually seek out other things by this author.
Breeann Kaczmarczyk
Jul 21, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a book looking at all sides of a wedding. The author tells the stories from the perspectives of the bride, groom, guests, caterers, hosts, and a variety of others. It's a fun book to just sit down and read. There isn't any stress, or suspense, it's just a fun book.
Jan 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
The premise of the book seemed fun, but most of the character perspectives were boring and 3/4 of the way through the book I didn't even care about finding out who the groom ended up sleeping with the night before the wedding.
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Found this book when I read an excerpt of another book written by this author. The premise was engaging and surprisingly well-written when you consider all the different voices sharing their experience of the wedding.
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Each chapter is told from the view of a different person or party involved in the wedding. Father of the bride, wedding planner, groomsmen, bartender, etc. Very entertaining.

I read it just before my best friend's wedding, which added some amusement to the big day.
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Funny stuff!

Loved the different viewpoints for a one-day ridiculous overpriced wedding.

This book makes me want to find more the author has written.
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
A little too over-the-top.
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it
a little raunchier than i like, but not bad. loved the character of anne, and loved the ending to her story. not such a fan of the bride, but then again, i guess we're not supposed to like her. :)
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Humorous. Enjoyed the character analysis.
Erika Jaques
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
this book was really amusing
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good - Wedding at a Newport mansion. Each chapter told by a different character. Written by a woman who was a wedding hostess at a Newport mansion.
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
This was supposed to be a light chick lit read, but was actually really smart!
Julie Neale Taylor
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it
I was expecting fluff and that's exactly what I got - but it was well written fluff. It's a good beach or long flight read.
Zhanna Levin
Sep 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Don't bother with this book, not worth your time
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Found this book while randoming perusing the library shelves. Just a light summer read that makes you thankful for your own wedding experience!
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Quirky and fun.
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it

This was an interesting book. The different perspectives from all the different characters was entertaining, but often disjointed as well. Overall it was an enjoyable book.
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved that each chapter is told from the point of veiw of a different character. The book spans only one day and it is the story of some rich brat's wedding. Very enjoyable and a quick read.
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
I really liked the idea of this book, but it was rather raunchy and included much language.
Jan 28, 2013