Start by marking “Jesus, the One and Only” as Want to Read:
Jesus, the One and Only

Jesus, the One and Only

Published August 1st 2002 by B Books (first published January 1st 2002)

Kathleen Kurlin
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a "freebie" for my Kindle when the author offered it as a special promotion. I love when best-selling authors discount their books or better yet - offer them for free! I gladly would have paid for this book though.

I thought the book was deeply insightful and I found myself slowly reading through each chapter so I could really chew on and digest the author's comments. I wanted to read through the many Scripture references as well and the author's writing style allowed me to li
Heather's Mum
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women
Shelves: biblical
The author, Beth Moore, is a down to earth, unpretentious personable "gal." At no time does one feel that they are being "preached to." Although not pushy, Beth is a knowledgeable teacher. The book, as well as the complimentary video, is well documented with scripture and frequent references to original script and accurate translation. Her teaching relates well with the modern woman.

One special highlight I learned from her study was the revelation of the power of God's original name ehyeh - tran
Isa Lavinia
I started reading this book thinking it would be a serious study about the time period and the works concerning the topic. I was especially looking forward to etymological analysis (which I was led to believe from reviews was a key component of the book).
Instead I found a personal interpretation of the Gospel of Luke, with an "imagine what so-and-so felt when" every other sentence.
Mea culpa, I suppose.
I'm sure it must be very inspirational for those looking for such things, but it's not for me
Julie Hicks
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Study on Jesus Christ life

I love how Beth Moore makes one feel as if they are there in that moment with her additions to scripture understanding. Her studies and devotions always move my heart and strengthen my faith. This study took what I knew about Christ and raised it to another level of deeper understanding. I highly recommend it!!!
Adam Balshan
Apr 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: theology
1.5 stars [Theology]
I have little good to say about this book, unfortunately, written by a sister in the Lord. It is highly dumbed-down Christology, with oodles of [Myers-Briggs] ENFP, gushing conjecture about unnecessary details added to the biblical story, which are often dubious, and sometimes non-credible. Original language analysis was non-scholarly and superficial; it sounded like it was regurgitated right out of a concordance.

Common knowledge abounds; you won't read almost anything novel
Heather
Taking this as a very loose interpretation that doesn't seem well-researched, this isn't a terrible book. This is probably my favorite of anything written by Moore, but that's honestly not saying much. It was interesting to read, and would add dynamic if reading concurrently with the gospel of Luke. I absolutely would not recommend this as a standalone without extensive prior knowledge of the gospels (all four of them).
Kelli
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Second best to hearing Beth Moore speak, is reading her words. I read this in 2006, and really began to see more clear what Christ did for us much more preciously after reading this book. I learned so much, because Beth is rich in History and background. My biggest 'want' from an author is, did they do research? All of Beth Moore's books have so much of her heart in them, her love for the Word, and for Christ. Awesome book!
Margaret Mawhinney
Jesus,the One and Only

I loved how Beth Moore made the amazing journey of Jesus's life here on earth so easy to understand. I felt she was sitting in a room with me explaining all over coffee. I laughed,cried,felt deep emotional pain,and even forgiveness. " yes Jesus loves me,the bible and (Beth) tell me so"
Terrie
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I have so much I want to read, that I have several books going at once. At beginning of each chapter there is a passage of scripture....so our comes my BIBLE....then read the chapter. For more clarity out comes one or both of my BIBLE Handbook and I read more in the Book of Luke.
Julie
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An Intimate Look at Jesus from birth until His resurrection. Obviously she couldn't cover everything, but she takes significant happenings throughout His life on earth and expounds on them.

I think this book is more effective if you read and talk about it with someone else.
valerie
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a helpful companion while I was studying the book of Luke.
Karen Korb
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
About The Book: In her previous books, Beth Moore has introduced her readers to David and Paul. In Jesus, the One and Only, Beth introduces them to an intimate Savior as they get a close-up and personal portrait of the life of Jesus the Messiah.But this is far more than just a work on the life of Christ. As He has done in the past, God uses Beth’s words to woo the reader into a romance with the One and Only. The reader comes to know Christ personally, watching and listening as He breaks up a fun ...more
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Jesus the One and Only
By Beth Moore

Jesus the One and Only takes one on a journey - a journey of the life of Jesus as seen through the eyes of Luke. Luke is unique in his perspective in that he was the only Gentile Gospel writer, he was inspired by God to write this account. Where the other writers assume the reader is familiar with the culture of the day, Luke focuses on the Jewishness of Christ and the culture in which He lived. Through Luke we see how Jesus was and is the fulfillment of Jewish
Jill
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Jesus, the One and Only” is an invitation to know Christ personally. Beth Moore, writer and teacher of best-selling books and Bible studies, uses the book of Luke as her guide as she leads readers through a study that will open your eyes to the life and character of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

This book complements Moore’s “Jesus, the One and Only” Bible study but can also be read separately. Beginning with the story of John the Baptist and ending with the ascension after the death and res
Amanda Tranmer
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is about what the title says it's about. Jesus. The one and only. Except read that title with a catch in your throat and tears in your eyes. You'll be closer to the truth. This isn't a book for intellectuals. It's a bible study for seeking hearts.
I made the mistake of trying to read through it at first. Don't do that. It isn't a read through book. It's a study in Luke of Jesus. Read and meditate on the biblical passages straight from the word alongside the book to experience it proper
Lori Church
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read and studied Beth Moore's stuff before. I really like her and appreciate her heart. She's truly my sister in Christ. That being said, this book took my mind/heart to a place where I could just imagine my First Love. I'd think those of us who have been in love, or truly love someone, like to think of them and how they look, feel, smell....how they feel about things, their insights.....
Like the song, "I keep falling in love with Him, over and over and over and over again....." (good hymn
Helen
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this study of the Gospel of Luke. Beth Moore has an incredible gift of digging deep into the Scripture and making it relate to my day to day walk with Jesus. I saved the chapter about Jesus' trials, suffering and crucifixion for Good Friday. Oh how glorious my Good Friday was this year as I read through all four Gospel accounts along with Beth's insight. Experiencing Jesus love for me as I meditated on His willingness to suffer so greatly for me! He bore my sin and received the wrath of Go ...more
Tima
May 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
The author takes you on a personal journey with her as she explores how to know Jesus personally. The book is broken up into 10 different sections with 53 chapters. Each chapter begins with a Bible verse and focuses on a different aspect of Christ and how to apply that to our lives personally. The author's approach is on a personal level instead of a more scholarly level.

The book was well written and inspiring. It is a large book, but the personal aspect of it helps the reading to go by quickl
Sinar
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is my primary during my bible study group. We got to study this right before Easter so it was pretty good timing. But it was not the 'timing' I'm talking about here. It is a very 'close-look' book that studies Jesus in person in-depth. How would you imagine Jesus as? How tall, his skin color, his hair type, his body build, eyes color, his clothing style? By learning through the historical facts and geological facts of when and where Jesus lived - probably not many of us would want to get to ...more
David
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was lent to me about a year ago and I was always feeling guilty of not reading it. Beth Moore takes the reader through the gospel of Luke.

The book is more geared towards women obviously and several times she makes comments that the women in her...

She goes into several fictional what if's in the book that is acceptable and entertaining but not that edifying.

Overall the book is faithful to the text. It might be a recommended read for women; however, I would rate her slightly higher than
Courtney
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely, easy read on the gospel of Luke. I'd never read anything by Beth Moore before, and while she can be a bit cheesy at times, you can't help but feel her heart for the Lord-- her palpable desire for you the reader to have your life changed in the way hers was just jumps off the page. Moore has a real talent for making a few verses of a Bible event come alive. She invites you to be there, experiencing viscerally what Mary felt as a young mother, or what Jesus felt when people came ...more
Tom  Fabrizio
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good study on Luke's Gospel

This was my first book by Beth Moore, not sure why it took so long, but it won't be my last. Beth covers the Gospel of Luke in a warm simple fashion bringing each chapter alive as she pushes us to not just study this Gospel story but to become part of it.

She brings the story alive and really gives you that "I was there" feeling as she covers story by story the life of Jesus. This was one of the best books I've read on the life of Jesus, probably because she make
 Northern Light
This is the first of Beth Moore's books I've read and it definitely won't be the last. In this book she goes through the book of Luke in detail as if you were actually well and although some of her observations stretch the point a bit she really does make you feel as if you were really there. I did find the constant references to crying a little wearing at times but loved the little insites into her family. If you want a book which is easy to read but teaches great wisdom about Jesus' life then ...more
Sara
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This study on the book of Luke is the first book I've read by Moore. I thought she did a good job. Her writing style is simple and accessible. Although she didn't cover all events in Luke the reader definitely comes away with a better understanding of Luke's gospel. My one criticism is that her writing style is very informal. If I had been the editor I would have tightened a lot of that up :) overall a wonderful devotional book.
Carol
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this because a visiting pastor highly recommended it. The writing style wasn't for me - too much "gushing" and familiarity in her style. That said, she does have a talent for making the story come alive and made some interesting and helpful observations. Overall, not a book I would recommend to others.
Tommy Grooms
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book sought to emote the story of Jesus, and I thought it accomplished its goal pretty well. Beth Moore's commentary can be a little wearisome, and I can take or leave most of it ("I can almost imagine Jesus thinking..." "I like to imagine the disciples felt..." etc.), but there were enough moments of lucid exegesis that made this book well worth reading in small doses.
Laurie
Nov 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I actually had not read anything by Beth Moore, but I had heard so much about her Bible studies, etc. I will post meaningful passages later.
Marnie
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the insight she provided to the Gospels.
Carrie
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My dear friends Megan and Emilie did this as a Bible Study with audio. This is not one to miss!
Faith
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is nothing more inspiring than reading about the life of Jesus Christ, and Beth Moore does a great job presenting this topic.
  • God's Story, Your Story: When His Becomes Yours
  • Lord, Teach Me to Pray in 28 Days
  • Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed: A Study of David: Member Book
  • Better: How Jesus Satisfies the Search for Meaning
  • What Are You Afraid Of?: Facing Down Your Fears with Faith
  • A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • A Confident Heart Devotional: 60 Days to Stop Doubting Yourself
  • Happily Ever After: Six Secrets to a Successful Marriage
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • Songs in the Key of Solomon: In the Word and In the Mood
Beth Moore has written many best–selling books and is a dynamic teacher and a prolific Bible–study author whose public speaking engagements take her across the United States to challenge tens of thousands. Beth is focused on teaching women all over the world and is known and respected wherever she goes. She is a dedicated wife and mother of two adult daughters and lives in Houston, Texas, where sh ...more
“True prayer, not just mindless, halfhearted petitions, is what digs the well God wants to fill with faith.” 6 likes
“victory is not determined as much by what we’ve been delivered from as by what we’ve been delivered to.” 4 likes