Start by marking “Crudrat” as Want to Read:
Crudrat

Crudrat

(Tinkered Stars)

The Progenitors of The Wheel live high up above the sky, amongst the stars, removed from the petty concerns of mere mortals. Each one designed, engineered, perfect; their imperfect children get left to die.

Ghosts. Cyphers. They do not exist. A lucky few, the Crudrats, scrape out a perilous living cleaning the toxic wastes from the great machines that power the station.

Meet
ebook, Special Kickstarter Collector's Edition
Published March 11th 2014 by AWP Science Fiction

Pernilla
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great YA story set in the far future, in space, and tells the story of Maura, a twelve-year-old girl who lives on a space station where everyone and everything is controlled by implants -- and the children who for some reason reject this implant are summarily rejected from society, regardless of their family's status. They become Cyphers, non-citizens, without any rights or support. Their only recourse is to become crudrats, a dangerous, slave-like life with a very short life expectanc ...more
Antony Norman Gusscott
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The universe expanded fast.
Crudat keeps a great pace, ever answer creates more questions making you race till the end.
Starting from small and cramped to the roofless possibilities of endless space, Gail has built a world from the inside out and then goes beyond. You don’t need a Cypher to see the hints to an underlying mythology that will tie the universes and characters together as the series continues.

This one is looking forward to experiencing Maura’s journey again as a full cast audio book
Suz
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, scifi, steampunk, ya
That was a fun YA scifi story. It certainly left me wanting more without the need for cliff hanger or next-book tricks.
Madame Feisty
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I am consistently impressed (and amused) by Gail Carriger's writing. This book is no exception! The plot is fascinating and the slang she invents for a group of characters is amazing. While this book is sci-fi and not steampunk, I think other Carriger fans will enjoy Crudrat thoroughly.

I also must mention the wonderful full cast audio recording! I loved it! The production quality is very high and the different voices are delightful. A must listen!
Sally
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crudrat was brought to us as a kickstarter project which I backed because Ms Carriger was (and still is) a favorite author of mine. I really didn't expect to enjoy Crudrat though because it's set in a world that I don't tend to enjoy. Recently, Crudrat came up in a thread and people commented on how much they'd enjoyed it, so I dug out my audio copy that I got from being a backer and I started to listen to it. I was pretty disappointed in MYSELF that I hadn't given this a listen back when I firs ...more
Ashley
Crudrat by Gail Carriger is one of my favorite audiobooks now! I love the adventure, I love that it's in space, and I love that it's still in Gail Carriger's voice. This is not her usual Victorian setting with all your supernatural creatures. This full cast audiobook is one of her best stories about a young girl, a Crudrat who parkours throughout the tunnels of a major spaceport in order to clean the tunnels to keep the gravity spinning. Once she gets too big, her license pulled that keeps her s ...more
Yvonne
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely worth it! Very entertaining.

You learn about the world along with the character. Their limited exposure to it before the book begins is a bonus as you experience the awe of space and otherness along side her.

The audiobook format is interesting and easy to follow as they have different voices (literally) for the various characters. Sound effects are employed as well (not just reading "Boom"), and this pulls you further into this fast-paced fantasy world.

I would definitely recommend th
Diane
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would have actually given this 3 and a half I think. I enjoyed it, but it was a bit too much of a kid’s book for me. I do read teen fiction quite a lot but this was probably more suitable for younger age than that (10-12 maybe?). It’s an interesting world construction though, and the characters were great. I also liked the challenge of getting to know people when you are raised in different ways and while you have much in common, the differences lead to some interesting misunderstandings. This ...more
Casey
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a huge fan of Gail Carriger, I had to seek out this audiobook. As an audiobook it is incredibly well made, good voices, well paced. The story took me a little time to get into - it's very different to what I'm used to from Ms Carriger, but as a sci-fi fan, I stuck with it and once I was a little way in, I really began to enjoy it. The whole world feels very real, fleshed out nicely, and easily visualised. It has a very open ending, seems to be fitting for a sequel to actually answer a lot of ...more
Imris
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully thought out and written, vivid characterizations, interesting intro into a new series.
My peeve here is with the audiobook execution - some effects and music are too loud so they muffle the text they underline. Though the voices are very good.
Jennifer Bush
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was lovely! Highly recommend!
Aimee
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
Bookworm Erica
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting ya/all ages friendly sifi story. Different from her steam punk world. I want to know what happens to marathon and fuzzy in their new home lol
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Completely different from The Parasol Universe but wow. Go listen to it. Hope there's a sequel some time and a book.
Tsana Dolichva
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Crudrat by Gail Carriger is a Kickstarted audiobook that I backed last year. It will soon be available to non-Kickstarter backers in both audio and ebook forms. Although I got both ebook and audiobook versions for backing, I consumed the audiobook version and I've only opened the ebook to check name spellings. Oh, and it's not in any way related to Gail Carriger's steampunk novels.

As I said, this was a very different book to Gail Carriger's other work. It's science fiction and not a comedy. Also
Lokien
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one wants the sequel so bad it hurts! What a change from Gail Carriger's norm in the best way! Scifi at its most human in the most alien environment. I LOVE Mara. what a voice! And Quoen-Fuzzy is so stuffily protective and caring I love it.
Alethea
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Space-punk, sass, and cute pets… need I say more? Gail Carrier never disappoints. I am only beginning to foray into audiobooks, and this full cast delight couldn’t have been a better choice. A sound track and sound effects were the cherries on top.

Maura was a Crudrat - one of the rejected, a blade-runner who could die on the job. There is only one worse fate on the space port: a Cypher. A ghost on the system; dismissed to die. Now she is one. She has only a fuzzy, autocratic murmel, a Crudrat f
Skye (Skye's Scribblings)
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Told: Third Person, Past Tense
Content Rating: Older Teen (violence, fighting, brief torture, short discussion of sexual anatomy)
Format Read: Hardcover (gift)

A unique and interesting teen sci-fi read with an engaging story and diverse cast. The broken English writing style took a bit to (mostly) get used to, but it made for a different kind of read and this one came to rather enjoy it, for the most part (all the typos in the print version were painful, though T-T
Anna Neal
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
So I'm super bummed that I can't read more in this series. It seemed to end on a bit of a cliffhanger and I'm not sure if Gail has any more planned for Maura and Biskweet.

I loved this story. Gail Carriger always has really great characters and stories and this book did not disappoint. I loved her sci-fi world and would love to hear more about the origins and the different species. It seemed super different then the alien vs human trope you get in many sci-fi stories.

(view spoiler)
Andi
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Carriger, sci-fi, and strong female leads
Crudrat is a bit of a departure, more space drama sci-fi than steampunk, but it is still Carriger's unique wit and style.

There's a strong female lead, Maura, who is set apart from society both by her appearance and her actions. She's thrown into awkward and exciting situations, where she is given the opportunity to prove herself. All the while, readers are meeting new, well developed characters and experiencing a very detailed, colorful new world.

Only two minor complaints force me to rate it 4
Karla
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, space, aliens
There's not a lot of authors that I trust unconditionally. Gail Carriger happens to be one of them, which is part of the reason why I got involved in the Kickstarter fund that supported the making of this audiobook. And I'm really glad I did it. I greatly enjoyed this story and it has all of the charm that I usually expect from her writing, just in a different genre.

I'm not sure if this is going to be part of a series or not, I think it's a fine stand alone novel that's full of details but does
Kate
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like to listen to all of Carriger's books as they tend to have excellent narrators and it prevents me from skipping forward during exciting bits ;) Crudrat was just released as a full cast recording from audible.com and took a little time to get into, but then became fabulous. While this book and characters are really nothing like her other books, it's actually a bit thrilling that she has created a whole other world for us! Fans of the language of Firefly will really enjoy the dialogue here a ...more
Rose
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a change for Carriger. I've loved her other series for their witty dialogue and laugh out loud action. Crudrat is a fast moving story without the humor of her previous offerings. The world building is solid and clearly this is the first in a series. But this is geared more for a middle grade reader more than the Parasol Protectorate, Finishing School, and Custard Protocol series. Take it or leave it. It's a quick read or listen.

FORMAT: Audiobook, full cast.
Melissa Henstra
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This has book has just supplanted Waistcoats and Weponry as my favorite of Gail Carriger's books thus far. I'm not usually the type to run out and buy a books sequel immediately. But if one currently exsisted, it would have been mine before the last page. I found that the beginning clunked a bit. And the speech patterns took some adjusting to. So worth it in the end though. There needs to be a sequel, a series isn't even strictly necessary. A duology, a novella. I don't wanna leave yet.
Abi
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not the supernatural steampunk adventure I normally associate with Gail Carriger, but I can dig it. I wish there were a bit... more. Just, you know, more relevant world building, more relevance to her particular progenitor eyes, more space politics, more explanation of wtf bonded means and why fuzzy went for it with Crudrat. Just, you know, I generally get these things from Gail, while still being left wanting more books.
Mary Squier
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. it took me a chapter or so to get used to the world but excellent as usual
Chris
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely brilliant - I really hope there is more to come!
Krystle Bates
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I. Want. More!
Laura Lowe
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very fun! Great reader
Christopher
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kickstarter reward: a hardcover! Quite the easy Y.A. read, but still enjoyable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gail Carriger Fan...: Crudrat is now available! 1 31 Jun 06, 2014 03:51PM
  • Tumbler
  • The Rain Is a Lie
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Defying Doomsday
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • Clockwork Samurai (The Gunpowder Chronicles, #2)
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • Fantasy Magazine, October 2014: Women Destroy Fantasy! Special Issue
  • WARRIOR: a collection of short stories
  • Seeds of Change
  • The Creative Fire (Ruby's Song #1)
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • Catskinner's Book (The Book Of Lost Doors)
  • Chapelwood (The Borden Dispatches, #2)
  • Moon Called
  • The Nazi Occult
  • Brisk Money (Ray Electromatic Mysteries, #0.5)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more