Start by marking “Life Support (Santee, #1)” as Want to Read:
Life Support (Santee, #1)

Life Support

(Alexia Lindale #1)

Alexia Lindale knows her new case is a matter of life and death. She doesn't have a clue what it will do to her heart...and soul.

From the Christy-award-winning author of The List, The Trial, and The Sacrifice comes this twisting tale of tough decisions, mixed motives, and mysterious, healing grace.

Baxter Richardson survived a fall from a cliff while hiding in the mountains
Published July 15th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Life Support, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Support

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read2014
This review has the possibility of turning into a rant about a genre rather than focusing on the book, but I'll try to keep that in check.

I haven't read any inspirational (read "inspirational" as "Christian fiction") since leaving home 24 years ago, but my Mom has long been a Christian bookseller as a side business. When I visited her during her cancer treatment she had collected all the books by this author for me to read because he graduated from the institution where I work. I had to read a f
Jerry
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not since Denise Hildreth Jones's Savannah from Savannah have I been this impressed with the heroine of a book. I believe Alexia Lindale may be my next literary crush.

As for the story itself, it was engaging and kept the pages turning. Sure, you have to read the next book to continue the story...but wasn't The Empire Strikes Back the same way? The writing was good, and I look forward to further installments in this series.
Michael
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ever since John Grisham wrote "The Firm" and it became a run-away bestseller, legal thrillers have become a dime a dozen. Lots of book publishers have sought to cash in on the trend toward the public's interest and the legal thriller has almost become its own genre-so much so that I fully expect it to get its own section in the bookstore someday. So, it probably shouldn't come as too great a shock that there would, eventually, be a subset of the Christian publishing genre for a legal thriller.

Wh
Donna
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
You know from the very beginning of the book that Rena Richardson pushes her husband Baxter off a cliff. That fact seems to be lost as you continue in the story. I kept wanting to know more about why she did it. Of course as I read this book I didn't realize it was part 1 and that another book followed. Only in the last pages of the book did I begin to have a real interest in what would happen next. Most of the story centers around her lawyer, Alex Lindale, but even her story is slow and I kept ...more
Melysah Bunting
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I got to read Life Support (Alexi Lindale #1) by Robert Whitlow courtesy of BookSneeze. It's a novel about a lawyer who deals with work, spiritual and other matters. Alexia Lindale is a lawyer who specializes in divorce. She prides herself in connecting with women. Little does she know that her latest client is trying to take advantage of her.

Baxter Richardson finds himself in critical circumstances. He is on life support. Rena Richardson, his wife, and his father, Eza, are at odds. Baxter sign
Margaret Metz
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are all sorts of questions. You wonder who really has the best interests of Baxter at heart, if he's a good person, and does that matter in the end. One of the biggest questions many readers may grapple with (if they haven't already) is how they feel about the question of extended life support and when or if it should be stopped.

Robert Whitlow examines all of this in the context of one case and one group of people who all seem to have questionable motives. The lawyer at the heart of it al
Sue
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Immediately after finishing GRAY MOUNTAIN, I began LIFE SUPPORT by Robert Whitlow. Publicity for Whitlow always lists him at the Christian fiction version of John Grisham, and I must agree that both are excellent writers of legal fiction. Once again, the protagonist is a young female lawyer who finds herself suddenly unemployed. Alexia Lindale has made quite a name for herself as a divorce lawyer who can calmly advocate for her female clients. That may be why her firm asks her to navigate a disp ...more
D.I. Telbat
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A wealthy, young businessman falls off a waterfall! This first chapter sets the stage for this suspenseful and sometimes disturbing novel about a young attorney trapped between greedy relatives and her own desire to do God's will. The plot, focused around a comatose patient, took multiple paths, and various points of view kept me anticipating the next chapter.

Whitlow, a native of the Carolinas, painted landscapes for the mind to give me the fullest view of the surroundings. I feel like I know th
RickyB
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
***SPOILERS***
I'm stunned that this book received so many 4-star reviews and can only think the difference was the expectation going in. I was expecting a courtroom drama, a will-she-get-away-with-it-or-won't-she suspense ride. Instead I got a book with so many detours (what was the purpose of the trip to France? It contributed nothing to the story at all. Lindale's sudden interest in god? The deposition she took part in on behalf of another lawyer?) that ended up going nowhere.
Only to get to t
Connie
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
As I'm finding with all Robert Whitlow books, it kept moving (except a few little lulls with too much verbage which is why only 4 stars) and kept you wanting to see what happens next. I almost tossed the book about 1/3 of the way through but that probably meant that I was really into it. Kept me engrossed for the majority of the book and that's why I'll be starting book 2 very shortly.
Stephani Austin
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I actually stopped reading this book and only finished it for my reading challenge. There was a lot going on and it just got to be so much I just didn't care anymore. The ending leads into the next novel, but I'm going to skip that one, thanks.
Larisha
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Robert Whitlow does it again... Real page turner & I am looking forward to the sequel. Alex, a main character goes on a believable faith journey as she learns to wait on The Lord, listen to HIM, & know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is an Ever Present Help in times of need!
Chris
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robert-whitlow
2.5
audio might not be the right choice for this one. This might be way I had a hard time getting into this one. This is the least favorite of mine of all his books I have read to date.
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY
Glynith
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
When does life actually ends? Baxter Richardson is in coma with a prognosis that if he wakes up, he will likely be a quadriplegic. Rena Richardson is his wife and she wants to stop life support. She considers it as suffering and would like to free Baxter from it. Ezra Richardson is the father, who considers terminating life support as murder. He wants to keep his son alive no matter what the cost. Jeffrey Richardson, the brother also wanted to stop life support. He considers the cost of spending ...more
Kimberly
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book combines all the things I love about reading. 1) good plot, 2) Christian theme, 3) legal thriller, 4) pulls you in. As previously noted a woman pushes her hubby off a cliff and what happens after that you will have to read, cause I will not tell you here.

Often books with a Christian theme, hit you over the head and put the issue right in your FACE on page one, basically Kneel or Die! This book however is different. This book written in the 3rd person, provides you with insight into th
Linda
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique

I have read two books in this series and will read the third. I have become involved with the characters and plots and Spiritual movement in the story. I love what the author does in presenting the work of the Holy Spirit. Not that the writing doesn't have problems. The author "tells" the story often instead of showing us what happens through conversation or action or description. He uses few active verbs and has a pedantic style and yet for all this, the story captured and kept my attenti
Sherry Ledet
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is book 1 of Robert Whitlow's series, Life Support Santee #1. Alexia, a mainly divorce lawyer with the firm Leggitt& Freeman is asked to run interference between their client's son and his wife. The son, Baxter, has fallen from a cliff side to the rocks below while hiking with his wife. The wife and father are in disagreement over the son's care. Rena wants her husband's wishes followed to die with dignity and his father wants all effort made to keep him alive. Is his wife Rena lying ab ...more
CindyHunt
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grabs hold and doesn't let go...

Another incredible book that I didn't want to put down. The storyline grabs you from the very beginning and doesn't let go even when you read the very last word, you are left wanting more..
I love the way Robert Whitlow weaves faith and Scripture throughout all his books and see the transformation of the characters as their eyes are opened to what is really important in this life.
Kelli Dickson
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. Author is very descriptive and allows you to feel as though you are with the characters, present and in the moment. The to be continued ending left me feverishly hunting for the second book of the series online. I can't wait to jump back into this story to see what happens next......
ML Couch
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful author.

Love the way that Robert Whitlow spins a story. His characters are developed with care and fullness to them. I was captured on the first page and hated the times I had to set this book aside to take care of other things. Can’t wait for the second book in the series.
Soul Survivor
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Because I am a person of faith , I rated this book 4-stars , I did learn a lot about the legal appeal process , and powers of attorney . I would guess a skeptic would rate this 2-stars , and a secularist , one-star ; but who knows ?
Anita Schrott
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking

Like every Robert Whitlow book I've read this far, five stars. I'm enjoying every minute! There are so many passages I read and reread. Totally believe everyone should read these books.
Tera
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving & a well written story!!

I thoroughly enjoyed the book from the beginning to the end! I could not get enough of it. It is moving as well as thought provoking. I definitely thought twice about the power of prayer too.
Monica Segeren
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why this took me forever to read but I'm glad I took my time reading it because it made me emotionally invested in the characters. I really loved this book and I'm looking forward to the sequel!
Donna
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Easy to read style of writing. Suspense with redemption and faith expressed so beautifully! Interesting combination of attorney and believer, watching Alexis grow in her faith.
Geneva Stokes
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book. Musical therapy is such a good idea. God was in the hands of the writer, Going to the second book.
Chuck
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! An excellent novel that forces the reader into critical thinking. Well-written, inspiring, and very thought provoking. I'm eager to jump into #2 of the series.
L. Stewart
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I was blessed by God.. God bless Robert Whitlow and I hope you will continue to inspire us with your books.
Diane Schulz
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Good, but not as good as the first one.
Jan Clarno
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down

I feel in lo e with the characters. I don't want to spoil things, but I had a really hard time putting the book down.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What's the Name o...: Woman pushes husband off cliff? [s] 3 21 Jan 17, 2013 12:09PM

• Brink of Death (Hidden Faces #1)
  • Presumed Guilty
  • False Witness
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • Tested by Fire (Baxter #1)
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Breaker's Reef (Cape Refuge, #4)
  • The Great Divide
Robert Whitlow is the best-selling author of legal novels set in the South and winner of the prestigious Christy Award for Contemporary Fiction. A Furman University graduate, Whitlow received his J.D. with honors from the University of Georgia School of Law where he served on the staff of the Georgia Law Review. A practicing attorney, Whitlow and his wife, Kathy, have four children. They make thei ...more

Alexia Lindale (2 books)
  • Life Everlasting (Santee, #2)