Start by marking “Pride & Prejudice” as Want to Read:
Pride & Prejudice

Pride & Prejudice

(Manga Classics)

Beloved by millions the world over, Pride & Prejudice is delightfully transformed in this bold new manga adaptation. All of the joy, heartache, and romance of Jane Austen's original, perfectly illuminated by the sumptuous art of manga-ka Po Tse, and faithfully adapted by Stacy E. King. ...more
Paperback, Manga Classics, 377 pages
Published August 19th 2014 by Udon Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Pride & Prejudice, please sign up.
Lara Mi There are countless adaptions of novels - especially classics. Why would this one in specific be "taking advantage"?
People enjoy seeing a story throug…more
People enjoy seeing a story through different mediums and some simply enjoy to read a comic where story and artwork is combined. As long as credit is given to the original author I see no issue with that.
And if there is an issue with that one could point at every film adaption out there - that being said - most films are based on books. (less)

Start your review of Pride & Prejudice
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
What a read!

A classic tale adorned with beautiful artwork!

I absolutely loved this Manga Classic. The storytelling was good. The characters' faces showed really good expressions. I could see when they were happy, sad or angry. Jane and Darcy were drawn beautifully. It was good seeing these characters in 2D.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣

I'm a Jane Austen fan. I like the original stories, I like the retellings, so I couldn't miss with the manga.

description

The art is beautiful, as with most manga, but Elizabeth's hair was a bit too puffy. I'm biased because of all the Pride & Prejudice movie adaptations I've seen so far.

description

So, do you like Jane Austen and manga? If the answer is yes, you should give this one a try.

*Copy provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Eliza
This was way too extra. Darcy does not BLUSH. And Elizabeth wouldn't cry all the time. 🙄 ...more
[Shai] Bibliophage
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, graphic-novels
I confess that I still haven't read the novel Pride and Prejudice, but I've already watched the movie version of it. Just like the other classic books, Pride and Prejudice is quite long to read and I must devote a lot of time to be able to finish it.
Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice
But thanks to this graphic novel because I felt like that I was able to read the novel through this. Thank you Udon Entertainment for making it possible to published a graphic novel of this classic.
Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it

My very first manga!!! ...and if I've gotta start somewhere, why not start with one of my favorite classics ♥

While Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice isn't a word-for-word adaptation of the original, it's close enough and the art keeps the visual senses stimulated while devouring an interesting re-telling. I can't say with certainty that I'm officially a manga fan but I can say I'm happy to have experienced this type of reading experience and even happier it was based on a courtship that will be
Simona B
*I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

These illustrations are absolutely lovely. I love how they manage to convey at the same time both an idea of refinement and a delicious, smart humour. If Austen's chiselled, brisk, lively writing style could be turned into drawings, it would be impossible to do a better job than Po Tse's. And Mr Collins is simply priceless, his looks made me laugh so much my eyes watered.
Super recommended (from a huge fan of
Sheziss
I cannot count the number of times I have watched Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley's version, of course). It was one of those movies that used to arise comments of the kind: "Oh no, not that again!".

I loved the movie so much I tried to read the book.

I barely read 30 pages until I gave up.

Still, a graphic novel is a different matter. So, why not?

The style is amazing, so beautiful. Each curl of Elizabeth, each sparkle, each hint of infatuation and love, for us to see. Only for that, the book
Kate (GirlReading)
This was a fun read, although definitely both simplified certain parts of the plot (and also dramatised it in a hilariously cringe worthy way at times!) It was nice to read this as a whole from start to finish in such a short period time, after having read Pride and Prejudice for so long. It was a fun, easy way to follow and understand the basis of the story. It was also my first ever manga, which was such a fun experience and definitely something I'll have to look into reading more of! ...more
Aly (In Wonderland)
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Graphic novel lovers
Shelves: arc
Read reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

**I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Here's the thing about Pride & Prejudice:

I never enjoyed it. Mostly because the first time, I had to read it under pressured circumstances in school and (as most people will understand) if school tells you you need to do something, it makes you dislike the task immensely. So the first time was a fail.

The second time, my mother bought me a beautiful copy in a char
Cee (The Mistress Case)
Take your pick. You either like the manga or you didn’t.

I’m on the dislike side.

I believe this is a parody of Pride and Prejudice more than it is an adaption. There are a few parts which are funny and others which are annoying. I found myself wincing more times than I can count because of the exaggeration and inaccuracies.

Did I enjoy the manga at the very least? Can’t say that I did.

1) Elizabeth has no class. The manga portrays a petty, juvenile, and melodramatic heroine.

2) I don’t find the draw
Booknut
"You are not the last man I could ever marry, but the only one. Indeed, I am ashamed of what I said then, for I was more wrong than I have ever been in all my life."

"Then do me the honour of becoming my wife!
"

Experience the classic Austen tale like never before!

I am a devoted Pride and Prejudice fan. I also love reading manga any chance I get. So when I discovered that someone has combined the two, I was over the moon with happiness.

How could it get any better than this?!

Manga Classics has cre
Diamond
Review originally posted on my blog (with graphics) @ Diamond’s Reads

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I remember voting on the Goodread’s Choices Awards last year for the Best Graphic Novel/Manga category. I remember being somewhat shocked that a classic won! I vowed to read some of the books that made the list (and won said categories) and I’m happy to say that I am really glad I made that decision. :tup

I usually read several graphic novels at o
♛ Garima ♛

It is no secret that 'Pride & Prejudice' is one of my old time favorites so once I saw adapted Manga in netgalley, I cannot not request it and I'm glad I've been accepted.

The cover and art is gorgeous!

Even black & white images as well -

I wish I can keep this book forever but as all comics, it is on lease and would be only available for 50 days...I'll cherish as long as I can then!

Amy
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not sure how I feel about this one...or the fact that I read the whole thing. Not bad outright but not really good?
Kuroi

When I heard we were doing catch-up week, I thought why not and picked the most irrelevant book I could find...

So I got this ARC of Pride and Prejudice, everybody's favourite book, and it was less thrilling than I expected. Nevertheless, this is quite a solid adaptation and I would recommend both to first time readers and veteran fans.

Firstly, I was excited at the prospect of it being a manga, and it does retain a lot of the elements including the right-to-left panels, chibi forms for humour an
Julie
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 9-year-old has introduced me to graphic novels, and a Goodreads friend has more recently introduced me to Manga novels.

Turns out "Manga" isn't a tropical fruit, but a Japanese-inspired comic book. I would describe them as graphic novels that contain characters that look part-zombie/part-kewpie doll, with a nipple or a breast spontaneously bursting out on random pages. (Talk about a non-sequitur). Sometimes characters have no features at all. . . just a weird blank space for a face.

Plus, you r
Amina
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great experience, it was my first manga classic and to be honest, I didn’t really know what to expect, but it was awesome and I had a lot of pleasure reading it.

The adaptation wasn’t a 100% copy of the novel, I’ll give you that but only minor changes were brought and the essential parts of the novel were kept intact (unlike the carnage of the movie)

I liked the fact that most of the characters were true to the novel’s ones and the art was really good, Mrs. Bennet still irritated me the
Erica (storybookend)
This book made me so happy. I didn’t even know it existed before a few days ago. I started reading it today, and three hours later, I finished it. It’s just so fantastic! It has all the charm and wit and elegance of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, but then it has humor and a slightly modern feel at times, made possible through the manga drawings. Which, by the way, were extremely well drawn.

There were times when I laughed out loud at the antics of the characters, and at some of the drawings
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, classics
I received an e-copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

You may be shocked to hear that I have never read Pride and Prejudice or even seen any of the movies or the mini series, so I was going into this knowing absolutely nothing about the story itself, and this definitely made reading this manga interesting. I am honestly not a huge fan of classics and I've had Pride and Prejudice sitting on my shelf for a while, but as soon as I saw there was a manga version of this, I imme
Nicola
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this manga, although you could tell it was written for a younger audience, as the language was simpler and the story was slightly different. I recommend it if you’d like to read Pride and Prejudice but either don’t have much time, or much interest in reading the classic (which is still my favourite book).
Vicky N.
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
A beautiful adaptation of the classic we all know and love.

It is not a faithful adaptation, but a retelling in comic that gives it a humorous spin and will make you yearn to read the book or watch your favorite adaptation.
I really loved the art, I didn't expect them to be so manga-like, but it delivered.
The writing did felt weak at times, but I was enthralled enough to ignore it.

Really recommend it for all of those Austen fans that can get enough of the Jane Austen classic.

I received a copy from
Heather
Aug 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF. The historical inaccuracies drove me nuts - examples of such include Bingley walking into the bedroom where Jane is ill, despite the fact that no man but a doctor or husband would enter a woman's bedroom, immediate usage of first names - Darcy calling Elizabeth by her first name the very night they meet, and throughout the story, (ditto with Jane). This is best described as a manga "inspired by" Pride and Prejudice, rather than an adaptation of the book into manga form. As a huge P&P fan, I ...more
mandinmandin
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading Challenge 2015: A CLASSIC ROMANCE

Hands down my favorite read of the year so far. This is one of my favorite stories ever, the characters are so interesting and funny. The art was gorgeous.
Natasha
idk who this bitch was but that wasn't Elizabeth Bennet. ...more
Leah
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Manga?? Seriously?? Oh, yes...

I’ve never read any manga before – in truth, I wasn’t at all sure what it really is other than being some form of graphic novel, but honestly! Look at the cover! How could I possibly resist?

Once I’d worked out that you have to read this from back to front and from right to left, I settled down to see just how awful it would be. And for the first few pages I really thought the answer might be pretty awful! And then…and then…I began to smile, then giggle, then chuckle
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
To be honest I have never really read a classic, at least not willingly. I've read quite a few but I don't think those count. I probably skimmed the hell out of them cause I barely remember anything at all. I really despised reading all through Jr. high, high school and even college.
I've also never read a comic book. To be honest I thought everyone who read them were geeks and in a real need to get a life. Now hold on and put down your pitchforks! I was really vapid all through school but I've
Sarah Marie
Manga Classics: Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen & PoTse

5 stars

Pride & Prejudice is a popular beloved classic. It’s one of Austen’s most renowned works and is probably considered one of the world’s greatest loved classics. Merchandise for P&P is everywhere and it makes since that this famous novel would be adapted into a manga format. I personally haven’t watched the movie all the way through or read the book, but I definitely plan to. I’ve only known bits and pieces of the plot and characters,

Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
This review can also be seen on Cristina's Book Reviews.

Pride and Prejudice is my all time favorite classic. When I saw that it was converted into a manga, I just HAD to read it.

This is no doubt a great adaptation. It captures the original Jane Austen book and gives it a fun, light-hearted feel.

I absolutely loved the illustrations in this one! Each one could express a long range of emotions, and also be hilarious at the same time.

Screenshot_2015-01-15-12-13-50

I like that in this manga we could actually see Darcy’s fee
Joanna
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*** Disclaimer: This is given to me by the author/publisher via Netgalley for an honest review ***

This was fantastic and I would read it again in a second. I have never read the original work but I have seen many movie adaptations and enjoyed them throughly enough. This gave me all that I didn't get in the Great Expectations adaptation and I am so happy to have read it.

The plot moved fluidly and the dialogue between the characters was exchanged seamlessly. It was never jarring and it made you mo
Marguerite (M)
The graphism is old.
Elizabeth is not very charistmatic.
Darcy is always blushing.
Wickam looks weird.
And proper Jane Austen's ladies should not curse.

But you know... it's Pride & Prejudice.
A Fresh Take on a Classic 1 2 Oct 22, 2017 07:58PM
Goodreads Choice ...: Pride & Prejudice (GR Choice Awards Buddy Read) - May 2015 3 26 May 15, 2015 11:00PM

• Pride & Prejudice
  • Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Sense & Sensibility
  • Waiting for Spring, Vol. 12 (Waiting for Spring, #12)
  • Love Me for Who I Am, Vol. 2 (Love Me for Who I Am, #2)
  • Waiting for Spring, Vol. 13 (Waiting for Spring, #13)
  • Waiting for Spring, Vol. 11 (Waiting for Spring, #11)
  • Fly Me to the Moon, Vol. 1
  • The Walls Between Us, Vol. 2
  • ブラッククローバー 9 [Burakku Kurōbā 9] (Black Clover, #9)
  • Mi amigo Capricornio
  • ブラッククローバー 8 [Burakku Kurōbā 8] (Black Clover, #8)
  • Las Memorias de Fenrai
  • Waiting for Spring, Vol. 9 (Waiting for Spring, #9)
  • Waiting for Spring, Vol. 10 (Waiting for Spring, #10)
  • After Saison 1 Episode 1
  • ブラッククローバー 7 [Burakku Kurōbā 7] (Black Clover, #7)
See top shelves…
Hi there! I'm a Toronto-based writer and editor who works in both prose and graphic novel formats, usually for younger readers.

My current projects include:

Dungeons and Dragons Young Adventurer's Guides - introducing new players to the classic role-playing game through amazing new artwork and streamlined prose.

Manga Classics - faithful adaptations of western literary classics with Japanese-style ar

Manga Classics (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Les Misérables