Start by marking “50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know” as Want to Read:
50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know

50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know

(50 Ideas You Really Need to Know )

Have you ever lain awake at night fretting over how we can be sure of the reality of the external world? Perhaps we are in fact disembodied brains, floating in vats at the whim of some deranged puppet-master? If so, you are not alone - and what's more, you are in exalted company. For this question and other ones like it have been the stuff of philosophical rumination from ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Querclus Publishing Plc (first published 2007)

Paul Bryant
Jul 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
I’ve read a few of these fifty essential ideas now and even with the nice big print and quotations in boxes and timelines and all these great ideas bite-sized and right-sized and fun-sized and slipping down my throat like lozenges made of mentholated wisdom, I’m beginning to think that philosophy is bollocks. I already know theology is bollocks. History is bollocks too. Economics is bollocks. Opera is astonishingly expansively expensively convincingly bollocks. Space opera is bollocks everywhere ...more
Tevfik
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
İyi bir zihin jimnastiği yapmak istiyorsanız işe yarayacak bir kitap. Tavsiyem okumayla sınırlı kalmamak, belki de her bir meseleyi arkadaşlarla tartışmaktır, zira o kadar insanlığa ait 50 fikir ki, var olduğunu hiç bilmesek de pek çoğu zaten yaşamımız boyunca en az bir kez aklımıza gelmiştir; bu yüzden de zevkle tartışılabilir.
Steve
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
A fascinating - and more to the point, enjoyable - collection of 50 essays, each spanning 4 pages and accompanied with various sidepanels, quotations and notes. From slippery slopes to the prisoner's dilemma, from the cosmological argument to animal rights, Dupré brings a welcome clarity to questions that we should all care about. If you're looking for an accessible introduction to the ideas of Plato, Descartes, Hume and other influential thinkers throughout history, and if you don't know your c ...more
Aravena
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it
To be honest, there are times when it feels like studying or reading about philosophy is a gigantic waste of time and overexertion of precious brain cells. It's a bit difficult to shake off that feeling when you're forced to ponder questions like 'are we really living, or we simply assume that we are?', 'do we really know anything about everything?', or everyone's favorite, "what is the meaning of all this?" A lot of discussion seems to boil down to tedious semantic, and you're constantly bombar ...more
Ali Bagheri
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ایده ها و مسائل به خوبی مطرح میشن، نظرات مختلف درباره شون بیان میشه، این نتیجه گرفته میشه که ما راهی برای دونستن اینکه کدوم بهتره نداریم و در نهایت در انتهای فصل مسائل قبل و بعدی لیست میشن ...more
Hala
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I started this in 2016??????
I overall liked it. There were some ideas completely new to me, others I were a little familiar with but I definitely learned a lot.
Something that bothered me was the little boxes in the middle of the page: I didn't know if I was supposed to read them after I was done with the paragraph, or before, or in the middle. It sounds silly but it was quite annoying.
Other than that it was mostly a fun read.
Abeer Saleh
الكتاب ضمن سلسلة تُعرف بـ "50 فكرة يجب أن تعرفها عن.."، والطبعة التي بين يدي هي الطبعة الأولى بتاريخ أكتوبر 2012، بترجمة هالة حسنين، و صادرة من المكتب المصري للمطبوعات، بمساعدة "صندوق منحة الترجمة" المقدمة من معرض الشارقة الدولي للكتاب.

يحاول الكتاب أن يكون مدخلًا للمبتدئ أو للحديث المعرفة بالفلسفة ونظرياتها أو فرضياتها، كيف بدأت؟ ، وكيف تطورت؟ ،ومن ساهم في نضوجها واكتشافها ؟ ، و مدى قابليتها للتصديق أو القول بها في الوقت المعاصر.

يقع الكتاب في 9 فصول، كل منها اختص بجانب معين، وتناول أمورًا عديدة
Bill P
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Entry level exposure to philosophical concepts and skepticism, yet in an attempt to identify a given philosophy's weakness, the author is quite prone to using fallacious arguments which in turn reveals his unwanted biases (or ignorance)
Giota
Nov 28, 2017 added it
«50 φιλοσοφικές θεωρίες για τη ζωή και τον κόσμο»: Για κείνους που «την ψάχνουν»…
Όσοι έχουν διαβάσει τις «50 μεγάλες ιδέες που άλλαξαν τον κόσμο» του Ben Dupré από τις εκδόσεις Διόπτρα το βρήκαν ένα μεστό βιβλίο που απευθύνεται σε όλους, παρουσιάζοντας όλο το θεωρητικό πλαίσιο της ανθρώπινης νόησης.
Σε συνέχεια αυτού, ο συγγραφέας επανέρχεται με τις «50 φιλοσοφικές θεωρίες για τη ζωή και τον κόσμο», ένα βιβλίο που σε πάει λίγο παραπέρα, θέτει προβληματισμούς, αλλά και απαντήσεις για πολλά από τα
Mohammed Abouda
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The editing is horrible and the content is written in a disgraceful manner...
Tara
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
What's good about it is that it gives you enough introductory information that you can start understanding and contributing to philosophical discussions. Most discussions of each of the 50 "ideas" include decent perspectives from philosophers who both support and criticise the argument.

What is not good is the author's blatant bias against theism. None of the discussions in the faith section are balanced, and are lucky to have two sentences acknowledging the argument that there is a God or other
Ana
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I picked up a physical copy of this book on a whim in a lovely little book shop and I'm really glad I did. I think it's an excellent introduction to philosophy. It presents each of its 50 ideas in the same structure of 4 pages with a timeline to place the concept, practical examples, the idea itself and counter-arguments, as well as quotes and little boxes with related information. It's this consistency and structure that I really appreciate, it never feels patronizing, confusing or subjective, ...more
باحث
ترجمة نُسخ (الخمسون فكرة) من صندوق منحة الترجمة من معرض الشارقة الدولي
مع وجود نفس الأخطاء سواءً المطبعية أو الورقية --كحصول التمزق من المنتصف --

عدا ذلك الكتاب جيد في عرض أشهر المباحث الفلسفية أو الإشكالات
في المعرفة أو المنطق أو الأديان أو العلوم إلخ

وينصح لمن أراد أن يطلع على الفلسفة أي المبتدئ لأخذ صورة شبه كاملة عنها

ولم يتطرقوا لمبحث اللامتناهيات كمبحث مستقل ولكن مذكور بالعرض في الحجة الكونية من قسم الأديان
وكذلك مشكلة الاستقراء لم تذكر إلا بالعرض في أقسام الحجج
وذكر حل بوبر في مربع صغير في قسم
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It took my ages to finish this book, but it was a great experience. I learned a lot and gained insight into main philosophical debates and ideas. It also has an excellent reference section, and I will definitely do some more reading on some of the theories. Great book to broaden your general knowledge.
Fran Pereira
A proposta do autor de trazer respostas para nossas principais indagações filosóficas é interessante, assim como a forma de apresentação dos capítulos, mas não atende às expectativas.
Craig
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best introductory text on key philosophical concepts and ideas I have come across.

Definitely recommend for both budding and seasoned readers of philosophy.
Lucas Vianna
Leia, mas leia vacinado.
O livro destaca-se pela sua concisão e capacidade de apanhar diversas correntes filosóficas e apresentá-las de forma resumida, e ainda assim permitindo ao leitor compreender adequadamente a ideia filosófica ali proposta. São 50 teorias filosóficas que são apresentadas, cada uma ocupando 4 páginas do livro. Com tão pouco espaço para cada ideia, certamente é um desafio conseguir apresentar cada uma sem ser reducionista, desafio este que o autor consegue cumprir. Pelo menos
Spotlightkido
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Şahsi fikrim; felsefenin filozofların direk kendi eserlerinin okunarak daha iyi öğreneleceği yönündeydi. Bu konuda okumalarımı devam ettirirken, keşke felsefi sorgulamaların bir derlemesi olsa dedim (sıradan aforizma derlemelerini veya bayağı biyografileri kastetmiyorum) ve bu kitap tam da o an imdadıma yetişti. İşte kitabın güzelliği tarih boyunca üretilmiş argümanların ve sorgulamaların bir derlemesinin yapılmış olması. Çok faydalandım kitaptan. Bol bol not alarak okuyun. Konuya gayet hakim bi ...more
Luiz
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I have read as a daily mental gymnastics exercise and the 2nd time I have read this book. First was in 2005 during my first year of university. Although not groundbreaking in any direction I gained a few insights and it works as a good launch pad of what else I am interested in checking out. Eg. Hume's problem of induction, more fallacies. Helpful in seeing other sides and how other views are fundamentally different. Could have used an overview on stoicism I think. And a ...more
Vlasta
Uf, dočteno! Musela jsem hodně přemáhat únavu - ale to není rozhodně tím, že by mě kniha nudila. Ba právě naopak. Ne každou z těch padesáti myšlenek jsem pochopila, ale myslím, že minimálně nad třiceti jsem se docela zamýšlela. Tahle knížka o filosofii mi dala víc než výklad ve škole, který jsme dosud v hodinách občanky absolvovali. Příště si zkusím z téhle edice přečíst třeba fyziku nebo podobné věci, kterým vůbec nerozumím. Třeba něco pochytím. :D
Reymart Carandang
Provides an introduction to philosophical ideas. Doesn’t really delve into the ideas. Ben Dupré provides the main arguments for and against each topic and summarizes it all into a short statement at the end of every chapter.
Favorite excerpt in the book: “The point of Philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it. -Bertrand Russell”
Reixel Soy Yo
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essay, philosophy
I think this book has a lot of interesting questions to reflect about, but what I've truly missed has been more ideas of philosophers, instead of so many interesting questions that all of us may ask to ourselves, without a conclussion. I would have liked to know more about the thought of the classic philosophers than these general questions with no answer.
Ali
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Sıkı felsefe okuması yapanlar için hafif kaçabilir. Ama benim hoşuma gitti. Birçok kavramı bir kitapta elinizin altında bulundurmak güzel bir fikir. Zaten kitap tasarımından itibaren de sanki bu amaca yönelik hazırlanmış. Felsefe rafınızda olmasını istersiniz.
Marcelo
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is very interesting. It shows a lot of philosophers and thinkers that I've never heard before. So, it gives you an introduction to important ocidental philosophies and concepts. I liked very much!
Sinner
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice entry level philosophy book. A lot of topics, but just feels like none of them properly got enough attention. As said... Entry level philosophy book topic for common knowledge and conversation.
Jackie Lee
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good to get something of an overview of philosophy but certainly a somewhat limited one - will have to read wider!
Andrew
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good bite sized chapters on serious everyday topics that make Philosophy interesting
عمرو العروسي
لقراءة ملخص عن الكتاب، رجاء الضغط على الرابط التالي...
Ayse Bilgen Aras
Bu da mavi hap gibi yutmak için yazılmış yüzeysel bir kitap ama yüzeyselliği, hafiliği ve geniş açısıyla insana iyi geliyor.
Madalina_Constantin
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The title might suggest an ”easy” book, but it might take tame to read and digest all the dense concepts and experiments from the book. A very good ”read me again and again” volume.
  • 50 Mathematical Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Economics Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • 50 Art Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Philosophy: The Classics
  • The Big Questions: Philosophy
  • 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute
  • Can a Robot be Human?: 33 Perplexing Philosophy Puzzles
  • Philosophy: 100 Essential Thinkers
  • The Big Questions: Physics
  • Rousseau's Dog: Two Great Thinkers at War in the Age of Enlightenment
  • 50 Management Ideas You Really Need To Know
  • 50 Architecture Ideas You Really Need to Know (50 Ideas You Really Need to Know series)
  • Six Great Ideas
  • A Short History of Modern Philosophy (Routledge Classics)
Ben Dupré read Classics at Exeter College, Oxford, before pursuing a career in publishing. Until 2004 he was children's reference publisher at Oxford University Press.

He is the author of Places of Destiny (published in the US as Where History was Made), 50 Big Ideas You Really Need to Know, 50 Political Ideas You Really Need to Know and the bestselling 50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know.

50 Ideas You Really Need to Know (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • 50 Art Ideas You Really Need to Know