Jump to ratings and reviews

Live Free or Die

Life is a humdrum three stars out of five for travel writer Katherine "Kit" McCormick. That changes forever when a dead body turns up in her office. As the ex-lover of the murdered developer's wife, Kit becomes the prime suspect-and the killer's next target. Kit works with the closeted Detective Kasey Chakarian to unravel the knot of corruption and shameful secrets, but every clue leads to further entanglements...and mortal danger.

234 pages, Paperback

First published March 1, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Max Gordon

1 book27 followers
MAX GORDON’s grandmother was the librarian in their tiny upstate New York town, and never restricted Max to kiddie books: if she could reach it, she could read it. Inspired by what she read, and by the desire to share a shelf with her favorite authors, Max probably wrote and illustrated her first story the day she learned to hold a crayon—and she’s been scribbling ever since. After earning a master’s degree in writing and publishing from USC, she worked in publishing, typesetting, marketing, design, and procrastinating, but has never stopped being a writer. She has one son (the light of her life) and a partner (the soundtrack of her life), and lives contentedly wherever there’s waterfront, WiFi, and great coffee.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (23%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews
Profile Image for Wheeler.
134 reviews12 followers
September 30, 2014
Live Free or Die is, first and foremost, boring.
I am highly conscious, while I write this review, of my status as a man. I will write: boring is boring, regardless of who the love interests are.
Further, as a reader, I seek a sense of justice. The characters in this book who get away with blatantly unethical behavior bothers me. That does not, however, have to do anything with the number of stars I gave the book.
It has everything to do with the low quality of the plot and narrative.
Ms. Gordon is a decent writer: decent enough does not pull a narrative behind it. Decent writing is never strong enough to make up the difference.
Further, the sense of suspension of disbelief is broken by the sheer number of murders going on.
Lastly, as a westerner, I am appalled by the mindset of easterners. Absolutely appalled. That is neither here nor there.

Take-away: not worth reading.

This book was received, free of charge, from the Goodreads First Reads program.

Profile Image for Maura.
22 reviews
June 18, 2014
Ok, here are a few of the multiple reasons you should read this book: Brilliantly crafted story that unfolds at a perfect pace. Compelling and believable mystery – I was obsessed with the “who dunnit” question ‘til the very end. Gordon’s writing style – smart, hilarious, intimate. The characters – I loved how she revealed each of their true selves (flaws and all) gradually, comically and with honesty. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and hope to hear more from Kit McCormick again soon.
4 reviews
August 11, 2014
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. It liked it. I kept changing who I thought did it throughout the book. I would recommend the book to people who like a good mystery that is also a quick read.
Displaying 1 - 4 of 4 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.