Start by marking “Honor Among Orcs (Orc Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Honor Among Orcs (Orc Saga, #1)

Honor Among Orcs

(Orc Saga #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  410 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Tolkien meets Beauty and the Beast in this new fantasy by Amalia Dillin, author of the Fate of the Gods trilogy.

After nearly a decade as the king’s whipping-girl, Princess Arianna has no intention of going quietly into marriage to some treasonous noble, or serving obediently as the king’s spy until her death is more convenient. When she discovers a handsome orc, chained a
Paperback, Trade Paperback, Alternate Cover, 370 pages
Published April 1st 2014 by Thorskona Books (first published March 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Honor Among Orcs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor Among Orcs

Eva
Apr 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Celestine
Excuse me while I gush a little about an author new-to-me, Amalia Dillin, and her mythological mash-up of epic proportions, Honor Among Orcs. Having just finished The Brush of Black Wings, I was on a fantasy romance binge induced by Grace Draven. HAO popped up on the “customers also bought” feed, and with high overall ratings and as a Kindle Unlimited selection, I couldn’t pass it up. I’m glad I didn’t, and you shouldn’t either if you like fantasy tales with a strong romantic element or if you e ...more
Thomas Hale
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Honor Among Orcs, Amalia Dillin has crafted a juxtaposition of two colliding worlds that despite the turmoil and trials, blossoms into a beautiful portrait of a deep and abiding integrity, and dare I say...Love. Her characters are both charming yet flawed, and they promise to draw you into their stories and their plights one page at a time.

By the first page, I found myself so wildly struck by the immediate plunge into conflict, that I was gripped. Dillin then expertly envelopes you in her he
Kimber Wheaton
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Honor Among Orcs is a sweeping romantic fantasy featuring two characters as alike on the inside as they are different on the outside.

Arianna is a princess with no freedom and no hope for the future. She suffers her father's cruelty, which runs not only to beatings but giving her company to nobles for their entertainment. She is battered and bruised in body, but her spirit remains. Inspiring really-- she is one of those charact
Rebecca
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I loved this book. Seriously. Clear your reading schedule for April 1st and snatch this one up as soon as you possibly can.

Arianna may be a princess, but she's grown up being viewed as purely a tool for the king's use. Mocked, belittled, and humiliated she seeks refuge in the forbidden rooms that used to be her mother's. When she finds Bolthorn, an orc trapped in a magic mirror, Arianna is struck by his strength and his sense of honor. And she begins to see a glimmer of hope that perhaps they co
Dawn
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF

The writing is amateur. Very confusing and unclear. Not descriptive. There is no sense of logic.

I wanted to like it. But I just can't continue.

Brekke
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Deft Characterization and Turbulent Adventure a Fine Story Make

Having read "Forged By Fate" and other works by Amalia Dillin, I was excited to see her news about "Honor Among Orcs". It is in a very different world from the other series, which just means promise and potential for more fascinating storytelling on Dillin's part. That sense of promise paid off well as I dove into the story, each step of Arianna and Bolthorn’s journey leaving me eager to find out more about this new world and the inh
Deidre Padrona
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 13 +
Recommended to Deidre by: Amalia Dillin
I've been a fan of high fantasy (Sword of Truth, Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time) from the time I was quite young and this book holds it's own in such esteemed company. I found the book through an author group page on Facebook called Book Tarts and Ms Dillin had posted her information, as well as the description as "Tolkien meets Beauty & The Beast". A draw-line like that had me wanting more so I picked up the Kindle free sample and bingeread the rest of the book in about 20 hours.

The stor
Meri Greenleaf
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I saw the author post about this book online, I immediately wanted to get my hands on a copy. I love orcs in a way that everyone I know thinks is odd. Hey, some girls like werewolves, elves, or vampires. For me it's the green skin and tusks. A story where an orc is a main character and it's a romance? Yes, please!

I can happily say that I wasn't disappointed. The two main characters, Arianna and Bolthorn, have depth to them that makes them people rather than flat characters. For me what make
Karen
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book. It took me back to highschool when I just DEVOURED high fantasy and especially high fantasy with some killer romance! It is all about the hunky orc that gives you warm fuzzies with how sweet he is :3 I am working on a design for a Bolthorn plushy. It will happen. I just <3 him and want to snuggle him that much!

Ok enough of the girl gushing. There is plenty of ACTION in this for anyone else too!! I was on the edge of my seat multiple times! And when I thought I wouldn't
Kourtney
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I typically do not like fantasy books and I also do not typically read them either. But this one I did enjoy because I really liked Amalia Dillin's writing. Her writing flows so nicely and I appreciate that. I personally am not familiar with the Orcs so I did some research to get myself familiar with them. I did appreciate the New-Adult feel to the book and the fact that it has a Beauty and the Beast aspect to it.
Ashe Armstrong
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: orcs, fantasy
This would have gotten a full 5 if not for some of the relationship stuff in the early-mid area of the book. Outside of that, it's fun, it's mushy, it's sexy, and I loved it. It was really cool to see an orc get a love story. Bolthorn and Arianna are great characters. You can't help but root for them deep down in the cockles of your heart. So, to recap, fun, sexy, mushy, and orcs.
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
$0.99 on Amazon 9/14/15

This is a bit boring. DNF @ 28%.
marz
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-romance
Amazing story and I'll be keeping my eye out for more from this series.
Leyla
4 Big Stars!

This book has it all! Fantasy, adventure, romance and good lore. I was bouncing between 4 and 4.5, but I decided 4 was adequate due to some things I will point out in this review.

This is a story about a princess trapped in a cruel world of political intrigue, an abusive father and royal duty.
Meet Arianna...

description
A woman who has little choices in life and can't escape her bleak present and awful future. An innocent kind soul, shunned and mistreated by her father. Abused and tortured by a t
Wendy Sparrow
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I've wanted to read this book since the author first began writing it and speaking of it on Twitter. Orc romance? Orc. Romance. If that doesn't intrigue you then you have no imagination.

It not only held up to my expectations but it had depths I hadn't anticipated. It had the world-building complexity of a Tolkien fantasy. The star-crossed aspect of a Shakespeare tragedy. All with the character and relationship development of a romance.

I like that the hero being an orc and her being a human was
Talltree
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-fantasy
Zachary Tringali
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In HONOR AMONG ORCS, Amalia Dillin turns her deft skill at depicting the ancient world to creating a brand new fantasy world, and she does it with a grace and style.

The true beauty of the book is a reflection of the story itself: the way that the harmony of all of its elements create a tapestry stronger than any one individual thread. The characters, the setting, and the story are all fantastic on their own, but its when they're woven together that you see their full strength.

Billed as Tolkien m
Rachel V.
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
This new series by Amalia Dillin really has me hooked. I love it when a new supernatural creature is used in fantasy or paranormal romance. This is the second series of the author’s that I read and follow. She has definitely become an author that I keep a watch on for whatever she has coming out.
This book had me hooked right from the beginning. The magic in this story is fascinating as soon as I started reading this story I was not able to put it down. The descriptions and characters in the stor
Mike Hicks
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once again, Dillin demonstrates her knack for crafting a story with compelling lead characters and striking the perfect balance between the challenges they face in the world around them and within themselves.

In my view, “Honor Among Orcs” has a Tolkien-meets-Twilight feel to it and should appeal to fans of supernatural romance and high fantasy alike.

A minor quibble: The male human nobles we encounter early in the tale come off a bit flat. I felt they would benefit greatly from some additional b
Jone Schlangen
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the Orc Saga series, this novel has a little bit of everything: action, adventure, a damsel in distress, and individuals of questionable character. And that's the just the prologue and the first chapter. Without giving too much away, our damsel, Princess Arianna, is in a difficult situation. She must be obedient to her father or face severe punishment, but that also means bending to the will of the sadistic Lord Alviss.

The only place to hide was the north tower, forbidden from
Emily
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was super lucky enough to be given a Advance Copy of this book, and it is FANTASTIC.

I won't give too much away in this review, because I read it with only the barest blurb, no idea where it would go or how it would end, and I think that's the best way to read such a wonderful, thrilling story. Once again, Amalia Dillin has created a magical world that jumps off the page, populated with characters that will make you happy, make you sad, and make your skin crawl.

You will laugh.
You will cry.
You w
Corey
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the absolute privilege of reading this book, before its official release. Not only was I excited about how quickly I was pulled into the story, but I was surprised at how much I have come to like, and have an appreciation for Orcs! It was one of the books that I couldn't wait to read at night. I won't throw in any spoilers. But, you should know that it is not only humorous at times, but also sexy! I found myself giggling to myself a lot. This is a great book for any (mature) fantasy reader ...more
JustJoi
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series does not only talks about the love story of the main characters but depicts the struggle of the Orcs- a race that was ridiculed from the day of their existence.

I will follow Bolthorn and Princess Arianna's journey 'til they find their happiness, and how they will give the Orcs the peace and acceptance that they truly deserve.

Nothing much to say because it is perfect the way it is- the story and the writing. Kudos, Amalia Dillin. I hope I can personally chat with you.
Ellen Christian
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honor Among Orcs is a fun read. I like that the author chose an orc as the romantic interest rather than the traditional werewolf or vampire which have both been done way too much. The author does a great job helping me visualize the characters and the land they’re traveling through. I loved learning more about the history of the orcs and the elves and really think that made the book much more interesting to me. If you enjoy fantasy romance, you’ll definitely want to read Honor Among Orcs by Ama ...more
Emi
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a compelling, unique and interesting story! Amalia Dillin brings you into yet another fascinating world where you learn about a multitude of characters including the two main characters Arianna and Bolthorn. What an intruiging story about these two individuals and how their lives become intertwined throughout the book. I was compelled by the story from beginning to end and it definitely kept on the edge of my seat in some part, its a very unique fantasy book with a little something for ever ...more
Tina
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*sigh* Where do I start?

This book took hold of me from the very moment the ink met the page. Amalia has woven together a fantasy world with rich lore and a gentle nod to those who have traversed the lands of elves and orcs before her. Her prose so lovely I'm pretty sure I audibly swooned over and over again. A beautiful love story laced with magic.
Natasha Y
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow like a pressure cooker

The story develops slowly while the romance is quick to catch, but it is so worth it. Just as I lost patience there was suddenly more conflict, more mystery, new experiences.
Jackie
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book that had my interest from the start. Impossible to put it down. Won a copy of the paperback and am planning on rereading it soon.
Ophelia Milo
Fascinating lore, forbidden romance, slow build - but it stays slow, even for plot twists and action.
2015 Reading Chal...: Honor Among Orcs by Amalia Dillin 5 24 Feb 15, 2015 12:06PM
  • The Maiden Thief
  • A Breath of Winter (Araneae Nation, #4)
  • Destiny Bewitched (Shadows of Destiny, #4)
  • Rebound
  • Millennio di fuoco: Raivo (Millennio di fuoco, #2)
  • Neverwylde (The Rim of the World, #1)
  • Mixed Blessing (Mixed Blessing Mystery, #1)
  • Temptress (Manhattan Ten, #1)
  • Double-Sided Witch (Covencraft, #3)
  • Wicked Misery (Miss Misery, #1)
  • Knowing (Return of the Nine, #1)
  • In Search of the Time and Space Machine (Spy Force, #1)
  • One Wilde Night (Immortal Vegas, #0.5)
  • Hunted (Eden, #2)
  • The Beast of Callaire (The Legend Mirror, #1)
  • Love is Poison (Snow White, #1-3)
  • The Dark Storm (Dark Storm #1)
  • Dark Hope (The Devil's Assistant, #1)
Amalia Dillin began as a Biology major before taking Latin and falling in love with old heroes and older gods. After that, she couldn't stop writing about them, with the occasional break for more contemporary subjects. She lives in upstate New York with her husband, and dreams of the day when she will own goats--to pull her chariot through the sky, of course.

Amalia is the author of the Fate of th

Orc Saga (2 books)
  • Blood of the Queen (Orc Saga, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage