Start by marking “How I Wonder What You Are” as Want to Read:
How I Wonder What You Are

How I Wonder What You Are

(Yorkshire Romances #4)

“Maybe he wasn’t here because of the lights – maybe they were here because of him …”

It’s been over eighteen months since Molly Gilchrist has had a man (as her best friend, Caro, is so fond of reminding her) so when she as good as stumbles upon one on the moors one bitterly cold morning, it seems like the Universe is having a laugh at her expense.

But Phinn Baxter (that’s Do
Published May 7th 2015 by ChocLit (first published November 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How I Wonder What You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Wonder What You Are

Start your review of How I Wonder What You Are
Jeannie Zelos
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing

How I Wonder What You Are, (Choc Lit), Jane Lovering
Genre: romance
Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews
Well, I loved this book, it’s one of a very few that made me laugh out loud. Very rare for me, smile, even snigger occasionally, but a full on laugh...very rare. Its the septic tank, lavender trouser suit that first did it, the mental images....made me smile even thinking of them.
So, we meet Phinn and Molly, both escaping from traumas and hiding from life in the tiny village of Riverdale. I
Liz
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. I loved Phinn - the start captured my interest immediately. An abundance of Yorkshire and a mischievous horse kept my interest.
Sammy
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
3 Different Stars

It was a very different sort of tale of two broken people... with a mysterious lights in the sky connecting them

I liked the leads , I liked how Hero was so geek and such a good person , and the heroine was so understanding and in her own way very brave. I just wished there were more beautiful scenes of them together,,,, and that they should hav gotten together bit early ... but i guess dts the part. There were also some interesting philosophical theories running along.... all i
Rhoda Baxter
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd heard about Phinn, the hero in this book and I was so looking forward to reading about him that I pre-ordered the book. When it arrived on my Kindle, I zoomed through it within 24 hours. It would have been quicker if I could read in the shower.

Anyhew - Phinn is a genius and, like a lot of geniuses (geniusi?) he has only a passing relationship with living in the real world. Phinn is more Leonard Hofstader than Sheldon Cooper in that his insecurities have insecurities.Since I like my men to be
Blodeuedd Finland
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Two people hurt by love find each other, and ha, oh how they meet each other! You have to read that for yourself.

Molly is hiding away in a house in a village in the middle of nowhere. She has been hurt. But why is she running from love? What happened? And we get to see issues with her love life. She needs to think about that (and does.)

Phinn has even bigger issues and is hiding away in a crappy old house he inherited. Poor guy is drinking too much and is depressed. He is also super smart and has
Renee
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, read-2015
The prologue was intriguing, but it was the first sentence in chapter one that drew me in immediately. "The man lay naked, unconscious and, inevitably I suppose given the temperature, slightly blue." What followed was a delightful contemporary romance. Phinn and Molly both had hang ups from past relationships and both managed to grow and accept themselves for who they are. There was a hint of magical realism with the colourful lights that appeared several times that only Phinn and Molly could se ...more
Christina
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-fiction
A lovely romantic read about overcoming the scars that unhappy and/or unhealthy relationships sear on all aspects of one's life.

Molly (a journalist) and Phinn (an astrophysicist) are both hiding from their past, but a chance encounter and a shared goal sets them up on the road to emotional recovery. The characters (both main and secondary) are beautifully drawn, their back stories drip-fed to the reader in a way that makes you want to keep the pages turning. The change in point of view between M
Alison
Four and a half stars.

What do you do when you are exercising a wilful horse on the Yorkshire moors and find an unconscious naked man? Well if you're a single woman you drag him (in some cases literally) back to your cottage.

Molly Gilchrist is living in a cottage in the Yorkshire countryside, scratching a living writing for a magazine called 'Miles To Go' about walking and helping out her friend Caro(line) with exercising said wilful horse Stan. She had a glittering career in London but 18 months
A Reader's Heaven

It’s been over eighteen months since Molly Gilchrist has had a man (as her best friend, Caro, is so fond of reminding her) so when she as good as stumbles upon one, lying comatose, on the moors one bitterly cold morning, it seems like the Universe is having a laugh at her expense.
But Phinn Baxter (that’s Doctor Phinneas Baxter) is no drunken layabout, as Molly is soon to discover; with a PhD in astrophysics an
Aida
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm an alpha hero sucker. There are very few beta heroes I enjoy. Phinn Baxter was one of them. He was incredibly intriguing, despite being a very insecure man. The heroine, Molly, is also very lovely and, like me, falls deeply for Phinn despite his issues.
Vicky Ball
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
All a bit too soppy for me.
Lori
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. I don't usually enjoy enjoy chick lit as it's mostly generic but I really connected with the characters, especially Phinn.
Wendy
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book despite it being slightly formulaic. The characters were somewhat more interesting than the usual 'chic lit' fare and Stan just made me laugh so much.
Book Gannet
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
In a small village tucked into a crook of the Yorkshire Moors there are two people who are running hard away from their lives – and somehow end up colliding, with a little help from some mysterious lights, a crotchety horse and some stalwart friends. This romance is steady, a little slow in places, but sweet and fun, surprisingly serious at times and with a touch of whimsy to round it out.

Molly is in hiding from her ex-fiancé, spending her days helping out at her friend’s stables, writing articl
Robin Reynolds
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book from NetGalley*

Molly and Phinn are two lost souls, closed up inside themselves and holding the world at bay. Molly writes for a magazine and came to this remote little village after a bad breakup. She doesn't talk about her ex, nor will she talk about her mother and why she's so angry with her that she avoids her calls or hangs up as soon as she answers the phone. Her life consists of her little cottage, her friend (and landlady) across the street, Caro, and a horse named S
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

I have to admit – it’s very difficult to not be immediately drawn in (or to not chuckle) when a novels opens up with a woman finding a naked man, passed out, turning slightly blue due to the cold, out on the moors. I mean really – could you resist? I didn’t think so.

I thoroughly enjoyed How I Wonder What You Are. This isn’t a story where you are going to be overloaded with character information at first – you are going to get to know them slowly, over the course
Sue
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
How I Wonder What You Are is a unique, entertaining, and heart felt story about two people who are hiding from their pasts, unable to move on.

I really liked the English country side setting Jane took me to in How I Wonder What You Are. Her descriptions of the small town of Riverdale, the stars, and the moors are so vivid. As I read I got the sense that this is the perfect place for Molly and Phinn to be at this point in their lives.

Molly has been hurt and keeps her past private, even from her cl
Sorcha O'Dowd
Jane Lovering is an author to watch out for, not only does she create engaging characters and brilliant settings, but she manages to infuse such warmth and humour throughout her stories, which make them such a joy to read.

‘How I Wonder What You Are’ is a book that I was unable to put down. From the word go I was immersed in the Yorkshire landscape and the village life that Molly had escaped to. Being from a small village myself, I could see so many similarities and it made the reading experience
Under the Covers Book Blog

Molly has come to Yorkshire and the small town of Riverdale to escape from her life and the memories of her fiancés betrayal. She doesn’t want anything disturbing the blanket of solitude she has thrown over herself. However, everything starts to change when she sees some strange lights in the sky, lights that lead her to Dr Phinn Baxter…naked, drunk and passed out in the middle of a field.

In general, I seem to read books written by Americans, not that there is a problem with that, I have got

Suzie Groers
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not my first Jane Lovering book, and to be honest, it won't be my last. Since discovering Jane's books a few years ago I quickly, and delightfully, worked my way through them, with never a disappointment to be found. How I Wonder What You Are was no exception.

I doubt there would be many people who could walk away from the opening scene, where the protagonist, Molly, finds a naked man on the Yorkshire moors (the best I've ever found out in the open countryside was a discarded crisp packet
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Ema
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was an exploration of love, figuring out one's true desires, and forgiveness.

The lights this book was titled for were a rather cute addition to this book and provided the means for the two to meet and communicate.

Phinn was my favourite aspect of this story. He was quirky and insecure, rather different from most male leads in this type of novel. I enjoyed getting to know him and the strange escapades he had. I also enjoyed hearing about Molly's love of horses; her passion really shone t
Andrea Stoeckel
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
[I received this book free from the publisher through NetGalley. I thank them for their generousity. In exchange, I was simply asked to write an honest review, and post it. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising]

This book was reminiscent to me of "The Time Traveler's Wife". I think it was the first scene of how Molly finds Phinn....
Paris Baker
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally posted on Paris Baker's Book Nook.

You know how to grab a girls attention? Start your book by finding a beautiful man butt naked and unconscious on the moors. Yup, that'll do it. Hooked from the start. Well played, Jane, well played.

This is the first I've read of Jane's books, and also the first I've read from Choc Lit publishers. Having heard a lot of great things about both, I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed.

I loved the characters of both Phinn (I reaaally loved Phinn!!) and Mol
Stephanie Cage
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Despite its nursery-rhyme title, 'How I Wonder What You Are' is a sophisticated read. I wanted to say 'adult' but that would imply a 50 shades-esque level of steam, whereas How I Wonder simmers gently with sexual tension throughout.
Molly finds Phinn lying naked on the moors and carts him home with the help of an obstructive pony named Stan, so she knows a good deal from the start about his impressive physique. However, despite his high public profile as a professor of Astrophysics, Phinn turns
Psusan
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How I Wonder What You Are is the first book I have read published by Choc Lit. What a great find it is. This is the second new romance company that I have found that is right up my alley. Truly a company that must believe - it is all about the story and while we’re at it let’s make it a great story.

This is certainly a humdinger of one by Jane Lovering. I couldn’t believe that there were three previous books in the Yorkshire Romance Series. I laughed, I even cringed a few times, and I had my hea
Leone (She Reads too Much Romance)
As an unusual read this book was not what I was expecting. In many ways this story was rather a straight forward read without any major surprises, minus the opening line in the very first chapter. Overall I think I was just really disappointed by the entire story.

One of the biggest faults with this book was that I had trouble in trying to stay entertained. The story was constantly back and forth from varies point of views by the characters and it just all felt confusing as if the author had put
Robyn Koshel
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the perfect example of why I love Jane Lovering so much. How I wonder what you are, is filled with her trademark humour, whacky believable situations and a story that is both uplifting and heart warming.

Molly is a character of so much depth, although she appears bubbly and well humoured on the outside, you know there is a vein of heart break that runs deep inside her. It is like her pain is a constant companion but she hides it well and occasionally you see a little hint of her inne
Bobbie
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, paranormal
I love Jane Lovering's writing, so I was really excited to see her latest book up on Netgalley. I came across Vampire State of Mind by accident in a charity shop one day, and I've been hooked ever since. Lovering writes chick-lit with a splash of paranormal. Her books are utterly British, completely down-to-earth and wonderfully entertaining.

Lovering gives us romantic comedy with just enough drama to be a step away from twee, and that ribbon of urban fantasy that makes things extra interesting.
Mary Mattson
This is a Choc-Lit book.
It's about Molly and Phinn. Both hiding out in a small town called Riverdale. Molly from her mother and her ex and Phinn from life.

Phinn isn't your average, Alpha Male. He's insecure and emotional, but sweet and funny.
There were some giggle moments, and some tearjerker moments. He has a lot of emotional baggage.

Molly is an independent woman, at least at first, but once we get to know her we find out she wasn't such a nice girl in the past.

It's a sweet romance. A slow rela

• The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)
  • South of Broad
  • Beach Music
  • Unequal Affections: A Pride and Prejudice Retelling
  • The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1)
  • What Happens in London (Bevelstoke, #2)
  • Ten Things I Love About You (Bevelstoke, #3)
  • The One That Got Away
  • Corelli's Mandolin
  • Not That Kind of Guy
  • Undone (Start Up in the City, #3)
  • Come Back for Me (The Arrowood Brothers, #1)
  • Unexpected (Start Up in the City, #1)
  • Unspoken (Start Up in the City, #2)
  • The Simple Life
  • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
  • Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions
  • The Barista's Guide To Espionage (Eva Destruction, #1)
Jane Lovering was born in Devon, England but, following extradition procedures, now lives in Yorkshire. She has five children, four cats, two dogs and doesn't believe in housework so the bacteria and dust are approaching sentience and now rank among the pets. Incidentally, she doesn’t believe in ironing either, and the children all learned self-defensive cookery at early ages. She works in a local ...more

Yorkshire Romances (6 books)
  • Please Don't Stop the Music