Start by marking “Wrestling Demons (Brandt and Donnelly Caper, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wrestling Demons (Brandt and Donnelly Caper, #2)

Wrestling Demons

(Brandt and Donnelly Caper #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  424 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Jonah Fischer’s high school wrestling career has been stellar, but now he’s the unwilling star of a series of videos that have hit the web. The whole world may have seen the evidence that his best friend turns him on. Jonah’s conservative family wants him cured, and his conventional town and school want him normal. The only person who still wants him just the way he is is ...more
Published April 9th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published April 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Wrestling Demons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrestling Demons

really liked it 4.00  ·

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

This book was a YA/NA coming-out/GFY story, an established couple story, and a mystery.

Because I didn't read book 1, I wasn't particularly invested in Brandt and Donnelly, two cops who are partners on and off the job, and who are called in to investigate a locker-room video taken of a high school wrestling star.

The wrestling star is Jonah, raised by a religious family in a small, conservative, homophobic town. Jonah has a secret: He's gay and has been crushing on his best friends and
Debra
While not quite what I expected from the follow up to Frat House Troopers, one of my favorite reads last year, I did end up enjoying this one.

Jonah and Casey, 18 year old HS seniors, are the main focus of this book and it wasn't long before I was completely taken in and brought to tears by the devotion and love between the two friends. Jonah's sudden, public outing of not just his sexuality, but his feelings for his best friend throw them both into dangerous territory in their ultra conservativ
Cory
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
So I think...just maybe...I might have liked this even better than the first one, and I LOVED the first one.

Of course, Ethan and Gabriel were a big part of the story, but they didn't have the biggest impact on me. Who did? A couple of 18 year old kids that stuck together through a huge shit storm that was brewing around them. They definitely had some support, but the way they were there for each other was a true testament to friendship and I really loved reading every second of it.

The book star
Isabel
I loved the first book, but this one is even better! Loved it!!!
Dre
I enjoyed this story, and I greatly sympathized with Jonah and Casey's struggles, but I needed more Brandt and Donnelly. Nestor and Bryce were still hysterical though!
Christi Snow
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Review:
This is an interesting book just in that there are four POV's, as the story follows all four of these guys...Brandt & Donnelly and Jonah & Casey. Jonah & Casey are still in high school and they are both 18. I did appreciate the fact that the author seemed to keep in mind that they are both still really young. They had some hot scenes together, but they were kept on the tamer side while Brandt & Donnelly made up the REALLY HOT scenes.

In this story, Brandt & Donnelly
Bitchie

I really wanted to love Wrestling Demons, because Frathouse Troopers was such fun for me. I did enjoy the main characters in Wrestling Demons, but I felt that the story fell victim to too much joking and levity in moments where it just felt out of place. I also felt that it went on LONG past the time the story could have ended well. I thought the perfect moment to end would have been after the school rally, but it just kept on going. The sex scenes seemed to switch back and forth between Casey a
Don Bradshaw
There is a certain depth to this series that stirs me. Brandt and Donnelly are great as cops and partners. I think that Bryce and Nestor are hilarious. Jonah and Casey, new in this book, are a strong, sweet couple. I absolutely hate the label "gay for you" and what Mr. Mayne does is to do away with the gay label. You simply fall in love with whom you fall in love with, male or female. I have enjoyed the mix of an investigation and the challenge of life in general. This story revolved around Jon ...more
Sandra
11/24/14 Dreamspinner Tweetaway Not essential but looks like this will be better if I read book 1, Frat House Troopers, first. Great reviews though, so no worries!

Edit: All the worries, ALL of them! Frat House Troopers was absolutely ABSURD, and not in the good way. I will not be continuing with this series.
Chris, the Dalek King
It has been a while since I read the first book in this series, but I'm glad to see these characters again. Brandt and Donnelly and just as great as they were in the first book (just a little more secure in their whole gay-loving thing) and Casey and Jonah were just so damn adorable. And horny--let's not forget horny.

There was a bit too much sex in this for me, and the religious nut-jobs were a bit over the top, but it was a great book to read to recharge from all the heavy emotional shit that h
clear skies
I have no one to blame but myself for reading this cringe-worthy book.

I've already been traumatised by the book before. I can't handle even attempting to being useful and critiquing this book.

I don't even care. I hated it. I'm deleting it and made my peace and not reading another book in this series or by this author - because clearly I might give myself a brain haemorrhage.
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

4.25 Stars

So Brandt and Donnelly are back and I have to be honest and say I much preferred this to book 1.
This book is so much more than an MM romance novel and it deals with some very serious issues. The story highlights how much damage can be done by ‘small town’ bigotry, by misuse of religion and by closed minds following the crowd.
When a video is uploaded onto the internet showing a young man, Jonah Fischer, naked in a changing room Brandt and Donnelly are br
Veronica of V's Reads
This is the second book in the Brandt and Donnelly Series. I have read both books now, and recommend reading this series in order.

Officers Brandt and Donnelly are an out gay couple who have a knack for undercover assignments and exposing cyber crime. In this mystery, we find them investigating the release of locker room video from a high school wrestling team.

(Step back into reality--this actually happened to my husband's college team back in the day, so I was REALLY intrigued!)

Anywho, the loc
Morgan  Skye
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jonah is the target of a malicious campaign that exposes his “interest” (read: boner) for his best friend, Casey. Both are high school seniors and have been best friends forever.

When the video hits the internet, Jonah almost ends his life in front of a train. Brandt and Donelly and Casey help him to see that though this is tough, it’s not worth dying for.

Casey stands steadfastly beside Jonah so far as to even allow himself to be open to the possibility of a relationship with Jonah. Casey helps
Roger - president of NBR United -
Oh my wrestling but our favorite state troopers and their assorted friends are back and they are not the main focus. The main focus would be Jonah and Casey and the wrestling team they are on in high school so much emotion and so much hurt caused by a lot of foolishness also Jonah's family started as the worst you could imagine to the father standing for his son to compete in the state regionals and what a match. Bryce and Nestor get to be gay godfather to a newly acknowledging gay Jonah -- and ...more
Kristie
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the first book, but still, I did like it. The investigation strategies that our beloved Troopers use would be questioned by anyone who is familiar with police work, but they still manage to get to the bottom of every crime.

This time around, the best parts of the book were when Nestor and Bryce were involved. They're so fun and silly, making everything light and fluffy. They bring the fun to these books.
Pebbles1374
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ok,i was about to give this book 4.5 stars because of the lack of sex (in my opinion) but after i read the entire book the ending convinced me to give 5 stars :))
now i'm really curious to read the next book and hope i'll see Bryce and Nestor in action...yes,that'll be a "simple" wedding i guess ;))
Addicted2M/M
3.5
The boys were sweet, Casey was particularly awesome. Different tone than the first one, not as funny or hot. (Which does fit the plot of this installment.) I like Brandt & Donnelly's teasing. Looking forward to seeing Malcom meet his match.
Viv
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book as much as the first one. These books have been so sweet and hilarious. Sometimes the characters are too good to be true, but I still love them anyway. Can't wait to start the next one!
SheReadsALot
@dreamspinners: Hands up! Wrestling Demons by @XavierMayne is FREE for one hour in today's #tweetaway http://t.co/xjYXFTTFUD/s/Ywhj

Ends 11am EST 11/ 24/14
Dee Wy
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice followup to Frat House Troopers. Just loved seeing most of the old cast of characters and new ones as well.
Lois - Who Reads
I loved seeing Brandt and Donnelly again with all their silly flirting. This time around they are investigating a series a videos of a high school wrestler from a very small and very backwards town.

Poor Jonah is trying so hard to hide from everyone, including himself, when a simple video in a locker room gives away his biggest secret. He feels trapped and alone and knows that once he is found out his life will be over. Then there is Casey who supports his best friend through everything, even wh
GayListBookReviews
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic series. I really enjoyed the first installment, Frat House Troopers. And like with the first story I underestimated the book. I thought cute, sexy, fun, silly. And it was all of those things, but there was an emotional depth to the characters, plot, scenes, and writing that was a wonderful surprise.

Gabriel and Ethan share the story and POV’s with Jonah and Casey, two young men who have been best friends since they were little littles. They take a predominant role in the telli
Teresa
This book is mostly about Casey and Jonah, though we do see a lot of Brandt and Donnelly. This is not a bad thing as Casey and Jonah are too sweet for words.

Despite a huge chunk of this book dealing with homophobia, sexism, and bigotry to the nth degree, I found myself grinning and laughing out loud more than once. There is a ton of humour and heart in this book.

It wasn’t perfect; the police work was very sketchy. I would have liked better rounded characters for Jonah and Casey as they were bo
Ottilee B.
I was surprised this time as I realized the MCs were still in their mid-twenties. I thought they were baby-gays themselves and yet they helped two newbornish babes! I loved Bryce and Nestor this time around. (Slinking around buildings and flowerpots to capture Casey and Jonah on their phones, it played out so well as I read. As they would say, "Fabulous!") This was just a wonderful and fun read!
Susan Laine
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story demonstrates how pettiness, envy, purposeful indifference, and bigotry can erode all that is good within the human spirit. Yet, this tale also shows the powers of love, friendship, and acceptance, and how these things can lift a man to stand on his own, even against the whole world.

Jonah’s in a real pickle. Someone’s been taping his comings and goings at his high school locker room, and caught him naked several times—and then posted these videos online and showed them to everyone in h
Wendy Ann
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews - 4 hearts

This book was kind of like getting two treats in one. Not only did it feature the return of a favorite couple (Ethan and Gabriel, aka Brandt and Donnelly), but also introduced budding couple Jonah and Casey. Their stories were intertwined, and yet if felt like we got the pleasure of experiencing two separate romances with a somewhat stronger spotlight on Jonah and Casey.

Ethan and Gabriel got called in to investigate a case in which someone secretly
Bo
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When this book's opening chapter featured Bryce and Nestor surfing for locker room webcams, I said it might be a bit much for me to handle because these two are the stereotypical gay couple--flaming, shall we say?--as opposed to Ethan Brandt and Gabriel Donnelly, the two impossibly hot and well-met state troopers (and lovers) behind this series.

Boy, was I wrong!

I would think this book takes place in author Mayne's Midwest, maybe Illinois, maybe Springfield and surroundings. No matter. You have m
Raj
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hope that what I about to say does not disparage this wonderful series in any manner.While 90% of the characters in this series are described as being beyond hot & are involved in all kinds of sexual situations none of them radiate filthy heat.Entertaining & sometimes as thought provoking as the plots have been there is no true darkness,no challenge in them.It's just been all good wholesome fun even in the most trying of circumstances.

The main characters are like adult boy scouts witho
Sara
I first came across Xavier Mayne's writing via a free on-line story named Love Like Fireflies, or something like that. Ever since then I have had a lot of enjoyment from reading Mayne's novels. But if you're looking for realistic drama, this is not the right book for you. There is a slightly surrealistic, sometimes comic feel, to the universe where Mayne's stories take place, this goes for Wrestling Demons as well as the previous novels. This has in no little part to do with the character ensamb ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Wrestling Demons by Xavier Mayne 1 6 Apr 10, 2014 10:54PM

• Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • Island House (Dropping Anchor #1)
  • Desires' Guardian (Desires Entwined, #2)
  • Hat Trick (Hat Trick #1)
  • Hook, Line, & Sinker (Hard Hats, #2)
  • The Magic Broom
  • Fallout
  • Dissonance (Blue Notes, #6)
  • Heavyweight
  • The British Devil
  • Hot Mess
  • Stranded (Stranded, #1)
  • Not As Easy As It Looks
  • Christmas Kitsch
  • Given the Circumstances
  • Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #1)
  • The Gig (Speechless #2)
  • Frankie & Al (Frankie's Series #1)
Xavier Mayne is the pen name of a writer who has been both a university professor of English and a marketing professional for software companies. He currently manages a team of writers for a large technology company based in the US Pacific Northwest. Versed in academic theories of sexual identity, he is passionate about writing stories in which men experience a love that pushes them beyond the bou ...more

Brandt and Donnelly Caper (6 books)
  • Frat House Troopers (Brandt and Donnelly Caper, #1)
  • A Wedding to Die For (Brandt and Donnelly Caper, #3)
  • Spring Break at the Villa Hermes (Brandt and Donnelly Caper, #4)
  • Bachelors Party (Brandt and Donnelly Caper, #5)
  • Destination, Wedding! (Brandt and Donnelly Caper, #6)