Start by marking “An Uncommon Blue (Colorblind, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Uncommon Blue (Colorblind, #1)

Read Excerpt

An Uncommon Blue

(Colorblind #1)

In Télesphore, the glowing color of a person’s palm determines their place in society, and touching hands with another mixes the colors permanently. When sixteen-year-old Bruno accidentally kills a royal soldier, he goes from favored to fugitive. Now Bruno's only chance at survival is to become someone else. That means a haircut, a change of wardrobe, and most important, g ...more
Published December 9th 2014 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media (first published December 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about An Uncommon Blue, please sign up.
R.c. Hancock Thanks for the question, Cindy! I can't honestly remember when I first thought of the glowing palms thing, but I'm pretty sure it was while I was…moreThanks for the question, Cindy! I can't honestly remember when I first thought of the glowing palms thing, but I'm pretty sure it was while I was doing an exercise from one of my writing books. I thought "What if people's color was on their hand instead of their skin and it could change by shaking hands with someone else?" Then I did a little research in light mixing- what red and green light make when mixed, that sort of thing. That suggested an ending and I wrote a short story based on the idea. Later my wife encouraged me to turn it into a novel. (Goes to show you should always listen to your wife.)
:)(less)
R.c. Hancock Hey! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. For some reason I didn't get an email or anything to let me know there were unanswered questions. Yes, I…moreHey! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. For some reason I didn't get an email or anything to let me know there were unanswered questions. Yes, I agree $49.95 is ridiculous. When a book goes out of print I think the algorithms at Amazon start jacking up the price. Makes the authors feel special but is super annoying for the readers. The good news is I sell signed copies of the original on my website for $8.50. An Uncommon Author (dot) com (without the spaces). I say "original" because this book will be rereleased by Pink Umbrella Publishing next summer and there will be many changes. If I were you, I'd wait for the next edition. I think it's better. :) Thanks for the question!(less)

R.c. Hancock
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I've read this book a dozen times and it still makes me happy. Plus, I hear the author is really attractive...and cool.
Melody
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! It took me an entire 5 hours to read, I couldn't put it down. The plot was engaging without being predictable. I was guessing on a few things until close to the end. The protagonist was likable without being perfect, supporting characters were awesome, some funny, some dedicated, some just hateful and they made my emotions flare. This clean yet captivating book is one that I will read again...as soon as I can get it back from the rest of my family!
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Bruno lives in a world where the quality of your life depends upon the color of you fire. He is a blue, as such he can live in the best neighborhood, become a surgeon, and be considered as a first class citizen.

On the day of a big rugby game and testing in school, Bruno meets a young boy who changes the color of his fire. He has been painted and through unfortunate events, becomes a fugitive.

I always enjoy a book where society has gone terribly wrong and someone realizes it and takes initiative
Melanie
This book held my attention from the very beginning and I had a hard time putting it down until I was done! Bruno's life is all set until the day he is tricked into mixing colors with someone else. That action has a ripple effect that he could never have imagined. He ends up accidentally killing a soldier which then puts him on the run. He's a well liked athlete that has to leave everything behind.

Bruno learned a lot while he was on the run: he learned who had his back, what life was like outsi
Sydney Jackson
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So, basically this book was amazing. When I first bought it, I was skeptical. I thought it would be like any other dystopian story, but I was pleasantly surprised. I loved following Bruno and his quest to try and fix his life, but still try and save everyone. He has such a distinct personality, and, as an author, I know how hard developing a character like that can be...

Hancock did something extraordinary with his manipulation of colors. I never thought that there could be a discrimination betwe
Sandra "Jeanz"
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
INITIAL THOUGHTS
I was seriously looking forward to this one. The author R.C. Hancock had actually contacted me himself and asked it I would be interested in reading his book when it was available. I read the info he sent me about the book and to be honest I'd have read it straightaway if it had been available then! So I signed up to the tour. Then there was a small hiccup and I didn't hear anything, somehow my name hadn't been added to the tour list, however Meagen at Cedar Fort soon sorted this
Nicole
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first word that comes to my mind to describe An Uncommon Blue is fast-paced. It starts out with the action and conflict right away and it just keeps moving. I was enthralled at the get-go and I didn’t want to put it down until I had read the last word. This is absolutely a dystopian novel, but the world created in it is unique and fresh; it stands out in the very popular genre.

I appreciated a main character worthy of admiration, one who is trying to do good and make a difference as he faces
Katie W
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love a good dystopian. I love it when a strong character is able to make a difference in society and is open to taking the lead in bring about change. This society's social levels are determined by the color of the fire in a person's palm. Blue is the desired color, while green, red, and mixed colors are not.

Bruno is a sixteen year old boy who has his future secured. He's a young man who excels in sports and is on track to become a doctor in his society. When he is tricked into touching hands
Rhonda
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Uncommon Blue was a nice surprising fresh look at judging looks. It is a fantasy YA story. It had characters that I liked. I like what Bruno became. This has a lot of action, violence. It is a pretty clean read.
Bruno was a star rugby player. He is also from the Blue class which is the higher class. His father is a surgeon. He is a good looking guy that the girls like.

Bruno finds out a kid Baptiste is looking for him when he finds him he is tricked to shaking hands which makes their col
Tyrone
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shauna
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has a very creative, intriguing tale...

Bruno is one of the top students at his school.
He is great in sports and has a bright future ahead of him.

THEN someone tricks him into touching hands and mixing his color with theirs.
With that comes a chase and a fight...
Now Bruno is on the run.

As he goes into hiding something pretty spectacular happens...
Bruno learns what it truly means to share his light and shape his future even at the cost of everything he values.

A REALLY GREAT STORY!
You will
Eowyn Gordon
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
So I finished An Uncommon Blue and it was great! I mean, any YA with important political messages and metaphors is right up my alley, so of course I loved it. Want action, adventure, and a critic of the class system? Then read this book! It’s about world where people have fires in their hands and the color of your fire determines your place in society (aka racism). The main character grew up a privileged blue but after his fire is tainted with green and he accidentally kills a guy he has to leav ...more
Jodi Woody
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
I was given a copy of "Uncommon Blue" by the author, R.C.Hancock in exchange for an honest review. I love dystopian, think Hunger Games and Divergent. This one has a twist and I enjoyed the read. Good characters, geared for YA. I can recommend for Jr. High and up. I am 50 and I really liked it. There is a clear finish to the story but it is definitely open for more, and I hope that is the author's plan. I give it 4+ stars. I really liked it!
Jaidab
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! It kept me engaged the whole time. I love that R. C. left every chapter with a cliff hanger. I kept thinking that I would just finish the chapter, but then when I got to the end of the chapter I had to go on. It really is a concept that hasn't been touched on before. Anyone who likes dystopian novels will love this book. There's a little bit for everyone. I also love that this book is clean enough for teens, but also exciting enough for adults.
Crystal Collier
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The story world opened up assuming you knew it intimately, but other than that, this was a fun read. It was recommended by my brother, and immediately snatched up by my son after I finished. No complaints there. The protagonist is a teenage boy, and it's a clean read I gladly recommend to any teen reader.
Erin
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was fast paced and exciting. I liked the main character's gradual development of a conscience and his decision to do the right thing rather than the expected. Can't wait for the next one.
Karisa
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent! The characters were well-developed, there was always plenty of action, and it was funny. I highly recommend this book if you like a good dystopian thriller.
Heather Brinkerhoff Burdsal
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fast, fun read. I enjoyed this unique take on castes, with engaging writing that definitely had me smiling.
Carolyn
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
very much enjoyed this story. the fire in the hand was a new idea I had not seen before. the characters and plot kept you page turning. I suspect another book is coming...so what is it?
Kelly
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fast paced book that hooks the reader pretty much right from the start. We are introduced to Bruno, a privileged high school student who has his world turned completely upside down in a matter of minutes. He is forced to abandon his high class world after being tricked into irrevocably mixing his beautiful blue "fire" with a lower class Green. He then accidentally kills a royal soldier and hides out in the Red slums while trying to figure out how to clear his name and recover his place ...more
H.
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoyed this fast-moving, well-written book. It's well worth the read. In fact, I hope to get more of RC's stuff as quickly as possible.

AN UNCOMMON BLUE is about a boy from Telesphore--a place where the people are divided socially, defined by the light in their hand. The sac of some kind of phosphorescent gel is a genetic mutation which cleanses the body of toxins in the environment.

The glow's color has come to represent everything about the person: where and how they live, social sta
Heidi
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whew! I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this book up, but I got a lot more than I bargained for with this one. The story starts with a bang when Bruno gets 'painted' by a boy who claimed to want an autograph (Bruno is a very talented rugby player). This leads to his unexpectedly defending the boy from the poker (guard) who ends up getting killed in the process. The life that Bruno expected to have as one of the highly favored 'Blues' is destroyed and Bruno goes on the run. I think ...more
Lynette White
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
One comes across a great book in many ways. In this case An Uncommon Blue was handed to me by my fellow panelist just before our Harry Potter panel at Salt Lake Comic Con. I was a little taken aback to be handed a book by Draco Malfoy, but graciously accepted it and dropped into my bag. Little did I know at the time that a few days later I would become extremely irritated every time mundane events such as work and sleep forced me to put the book down.

An Uncommon Blue gives the reader an unique
Christina
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
An Uncommon Blue is a very unique take on social classes and how people tend to look down on others based upon their standing alone. The color of your fire determines how good or bad your future will be. If you’re born a Blue, consider yourself fortunate. And if you’re a Red, well, good luck (because you’ll need it).

The world of Telesphore is interesting, I would like to see more of it explored in book two because I didn’t get a full understanding of the world, including the Ulfish people (I’m
Jessica
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars :) First off, thank you for choosing me as a first reads winner! Second... wow. Honestly, I won this book so I was not sure exactly what to expect. This book is very fast paced. The entire first book takes place in (about) less than a week. And on top of that, because it kept me hooked, it took me about 3 days to read it. So, fast in multiple ways. This was definitely my type of book for various reasons. It started with action and sucked me in from the beginning, it didn't take half th ...more
Emily
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. At first I found the caste system a little difficult to accept (though it does have real-life precedents, so maybe I shouldn't have felt that way) and the main character sort of shallow and sexist, but as the story developed I felt like the society made more sense. The character was still a bit shallow (as in, "she is the prettiest so she is the best" kind of thinking), but he definitely grew and developed depth, and I liked seeing him come to grips with doing the rig ...more
Victoria Brinius
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
From High School I remember the different groups and cliques. As an adult I know what impact your class has on your life. This book combined the two and made for a fast past thriller that had me reading late into the night. The chase to remain alive was important, but so was the underlying theme of class. It was interesting to read how the author used fire to separate classes. I also liked that something so simple as a handshake could have such an impact on Bruno's life. The ending was what I ex ...more
D Nine
What a great change from other dystopian stories!
Action from the beginning to the end.
Nice flow and an amazingly touching ending.
A male perspective of girls that, for once, I enjoyed/smiled while reading. Definitely a guy's perspective on test taking.... randomly choose and hope some answers are correct.
A perfect lesson on judging others by their appearance and job status. This could be used in a classroom discussion and debate.
I loved Granny! Everyone needs a grandmother in their life for g
Emily
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
R.C. Hancock has meticulously created a wonderfully detailed new world where the color of the fire in your palm controls the course of your destiny and where touching another's fire can change that destiny for good or bad. An exciting page turner with lots of non-stop action and well developed characters that you can't help feeling for. I look forward to the next book in this series to see what happens next.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Where's my eBook? 6 29 Dec 08, 2014 03:17PM
Cover Art Contest! Design the cover of this book! 1 5 Mar 25, 2014 12:08AM
Cover 1 5 Mar 11, 2014 10:30AM

• Eruption (Eruption #1)
  • Stones and Finger Bones (The Black Towers, #1)
  • Star of Deliverance
  • A Nothing Named Silas
  • Manipulating the List (Immortal Companion, #1)
  • Out of the Ashes
  • Softly Falling
  • The Kindling (Middle School Magic #1)
  • Contrition (The Perception Trilogy #3)
  • Stars, Stockings, and Shepherds: Discover the Meaning of Christmas Symbols
  • Becoming Beauty
  • A Reluctant Assassin (Order of the MoonStone, #1)
  • Perry Road (Revolution, #1)
  • Shift
  • A Missing Peace
  • The Gypsy Trail
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
  • The Lazarus Game
RC (Recalcitrant Conformist) Hancock began his writing career with a story about a dead cat which his second grade teacher thought was brilliant. Convincing others of his literary genius has taken longer than expected, but along the road he has acquired a domestic goddess, four hairy gnomes (who, thankfully, look more like their mother), and a degree from BYU in Recreational Management & Youth ...more