Start by marking “Why We Should Go Vegan” as Want to Read:
Why We Should Go Vegan

Why We Should Go Vegan

We should go vegan!
That is the unambiguous conclusion of this short book. This conclusion is reached through a broad examination of the consequences of our not being vegan - both in relation to human health, environmental pollution, the risk of the spread of diseases, and in relation to the animals we farm and kill. On all these levels the conclusion is clear: We have no
Published February 16th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Why We Should Go Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why We Should Go Vegan

Start your review of Why We Should Go Vegan
Meg
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very succinct argument heavily peppered with research. I have found a whole new reading list thanks to this short book!
Noo
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Why We Should Go Vegan is a well-laid out book with a variety of supporting references to back up its claims. Obviously written from the perspective of a Vegan, it is one-sided, and highly opinionated. But that opinion isn't wrong. We all know that treating farm animals the way that we do is simply horrible, but we have developed a societal coping mechanism: willful ignorance. And apathy. We also justify the amount of meat we consume with senseless reasoning.

Personally, I have been trying to
Josephine Burks
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very succinct and well researched short book about the reasons all people should take up veganism. I've always been curious about this lifestyle, having read this book I'm more inclined to change my eating habits towards veganism. Great book.
Ireene
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good and concise reading! A must read for everyone. Even vegans can benefit from it and get new ideas how to talk about veganism and how not to support animal exploitation.
Olweg
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't like the moralistic tone, some arguments show a simplistic vision when it's not partly inaccurate. The author repeat himself a lot, the book could be half its actual length..
However, it makes good points, even if it's simple good sense...
I guess it won't work to convince anyone to go vegan, since it sounds really judging. If you're willing to become vegan and want to read about it, I'm not sure this book is a good idea.
Claire Sherman
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting read

Whilst I found this interesting to read I did find the tone a little patronizing & dictatorial. I am interested in a vegan diet but feel this book was too black & white in so far as veganism is the only way forward. The information within the book is really good, could just do with a more gentle approach.
julie
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok

I got this when I first became vegan; it helped me understand the dairy industry , definitely opened my eyes
William
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very convincing, I'm trying to work towards a vegan diet. It will take some time, as I'm doing it slowly because I know if I just switch, it'll never work. This book was a definite help, some very valid points, and plenty of great reasons to give it a go.
Ingsf_
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Michelle
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was clear, to the point, educational and a bit shocking even somewhat mentally traumatizing since I eat meat (reduced considerably) and since I have not really thought into that level of detail about the food complex's ever growing impact. The war complex yes but not the impact of the food industry not just on the animals but also on the environment and the state of developing countries beyond a basic level. Worth the read to put things into perspective.
Andreas Michaelides
Excellent book. It tells you exactly why someone should become vegan. It covers the health aspects of the lifestyle, it covers the ecology of the planet and also the animal rights. It gives you a complete and comprehensive view of why indeed should become a Vegan.
Highly recommended it.
Suneena S Pokkamthanam
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very Informative

This was a educational book and an eye opener. I recommend this to anyone with an open mind. Easy read as well.
Fluffy
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
A very convincing book about becoming vegan...however, it was also very biased. It was like a campaign on becoming vegan. No disadvantages, whatsoever...I actually had to look them up.
Ryan McCarthy
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clear and concise, but contains distracting grammar

Good read for anyone interested in veganism and its positive side effects, but some of the language and phrasing is clunky.
Andrea Sosa
Sep 05, 2017
Gregory Guy
Apr 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dig Two Graves (Detective Solomon Gray #1)
  • Easy To Be Vegan: Overcoming All The Challenges and Difficulties of Becoming a Vegan (Vegan diet, Vegan, Vegan lifestyle, Vegan recipes, Healthy vegan, Veganism, Plant Based Diet)
  • Capricorn: The Art of Living Well and Finding Happiness According to Your Star Sign (Pocket Astrology)
  • The Beekeeper of New York: From Yemen to the US, Yusra Khaldun must fight to save her brother.
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Serial Killers True Crime: Chilling True Crime Cases Of The Worlds Most Twisted Serial Killers And Criminals (True Crime, Organized Crime Book 1)
  • The Good Liar
  • BOSH!: How to Live Vegan
  • The Happy Vegan: A Guide to Living a Long, Healthy, and Successful Life
  • Without a Trace: 1881-1968
  • The Summer Book
  • This Dark Town I: When You're Gone
  • Dear Wife
  • Sail
Magnus Vinding is the author of Why We Should Go Vegan (2014); Speciesism: Why It Is Wrong and the Implications of Rejecting It (2015); Reflections on Intelligence (2016); You Are Them (2017); and Effective Altruism: How Can We Best Help Others? (2018). His next book will be Suffering-Focused Ethics: Defense and Implications, to be published in early 2020.
“It is not just our physical health that a plant-based diet seems helpful for, however, since there are also tentative hints that it can be helpful for our mental health. One study set out to examine whether a diet without meat would have adverse effects on people's mood, and it actually found the opposite to be the case, since, on average, those who ate no meat “reported significantly less negative emotion than omnivores […]”[34] Another study that followed omnivores who had to stop eating meat and eggs for a period of time echoed this conclusion: “The complete restriction of flesh foods significantly reduced mood variability in omnivores.”[35] It is not clear why not consuming meat and eggs seems to have a positive effect on mood, but it may be because of the arachidonic acid prevalent in eggs and meat, especially poultry meat.[36]” 0 likes
“We kill more than 50 billion non-human animals every year in order to eat them,” 0 likes