Start by marking “How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine (Revised)” as Want to Read:
How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine (Revised)

How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine (Revised)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The best-selling introduction to evidence-based medicineIn a clear and engaging style, "How to Read a Paper" demystifies evidence-based medicine and explains how to critically appraise published research and also put the findings into practice.An ideal introduction to evidence-based medicine, " How to Read a Paper" explains what to look for in different types of papers and ...more
Published May 29th 2014 by Bmj Publishing Group (first published April 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read a Paper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read a Paper

Teo 2050
Jun 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _contents
Contents:
(view spoiler)
D. Ryan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written for doctors so they can understand what medical articles are saying. All doctors should read this, and so should people who would like to know (or think they know) about the state of medical knowledge.
Marste
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you interested in nutrition? Did The China Study have you totally convinced until you read Good Calories, Bad Calories? Do you wonder, when you see studies cited, if the conclusion the person is drawing is the same conclusion the study authors came to?

If so, this is the book for you. I got out of crazy-restrictive eating by applying the criteria in this book to the various studies on food and "toxins" I saw cited in articles, books, etc. This was NOT an easy read, but it empowered me to cri
Ioannis Savvas
Πολύ καλό, περιεκτική, συνοπτικό. Ενδείκνυται για κατανάλωση από υποψήφιους διδάκτορες, χωρίς φόβο και με ελάχιστες παρενέργειες.
Lindsay
Thorough but accessible book looking at how to assess the validity of scientific papers, and why it is important to question the methods and results.
Dee Dee
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a challenging book for me but I do have clients who would enjoy it. I did enjoy the way in which the author wrote, it was light hearted, humorous and that was the entertaining part for me which made a book like this much easier to get through. I thought some of the chapters were long and repetitive. This was not an easy read for me but I did appreciate how the book teaches how to critically analyze information.
Sara
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some folks

This book was a required text for a course, for the way I learn, it would have been much more helpful if it was recorded on audible so I could listen to it a few times, as it was it took me long enough to read through once.
Jussi
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An introduction into how to read medical literature. I can’t fault it, but at times it keeps too basic. On the other hand, there is no prerequisite for reading it. Great for students or people who have just stayed away from journals.
Luka
I treat this as my go-to handbook for critical appraisal and evidence-based medicine.
Cknot1sk
Not a topic of major interest - had to read it for my program. Overall, it wasn't as painful as I feared. Quick read.
Carlos Vazquez
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En el mundo científico y medico, que es al que se refiere esta autora, hoy se obliga a publicar trabajos sin contrastar y con una calidad incluso formal cada vez mñas baja, para "prestigio" del hospital, institución y demás, tuene o llueva.
Trisha Greenhalgh nos recuerda lo que debe ser un trabajo científico, no solo un artículo para rellenar un curriculum, que ee slo que hay en España y en Gran Bretaña habitualmente, pais de donde ella es. Alemania y demas tampoco se libran.
Si bien trata de
Misty
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book that helps steer individuals into critical thinking skills needed to read a scholarly journal article. It is written from a medial perspective - but I have graduate students in social work read it as part of their introduction to social research methods and they enjoy it as well. Some of the students I work with have stated that there were surprised at how easy it is to read.
Wilte
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ub
Very good primer on how to read and judge scientific papers. Written in a clear and convinving voice, Greenhalgh is not afraid to say "I'm not an expert on this" and give relevant references. With handy checklists, questions to ask to check a paper.
Souri
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple and easy-to-follow guide to reading scientific papers (evidence-based/clinical research in particular).
Olwen
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So good I decided to buy my own copy to keep as a reference.
Nan
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information on research.
Kevin
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introductory textbook on evidence based practice. Easy to read and follow along with.
Sabrina
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for class and it was so dry. I hoped to see a correlation in my classwork, but I haven't had that yet. I'm sure I would appreciate this book if I read papers all the time.
Yang Zhang
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book reads like it is very specific to the field of the Evidence-Based Medicine. Since I don't work in that field, this book isn't very helpful to me.
Steven Gresham
Jul 20, 2018
Raz P
Mar 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd
  • Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior
  • Testing Treatments: Better Research for Better Healthcare
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • Intuitive Biostatistics
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • Review of Medical Physiology
  • The Complete Book of Food Counts
  • Your Body's Many Cries for Water: You Are Not Sick, You Are Thirsty! Don't treat thirst with medications
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

• The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99