Start by marking “The Complete History Of Middle-Earth (Middle-Earth Universe)” as Want to Read:
The Complete History Of Middle-Earth (Middle-Earth Universe)

The Complete History Of Middle-Earth

(Middle-earth Universe)

The complete 12-book History of Middle-earth, printed in three volumes and set in a matching box. J.R.R. Tolkien is famous the world over for his unique literary creation, exemplified in The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. What is less well known, however, is that he also produced a vast amount of further material that greatly expands upon the mythology ...more
Hardcover, Collector's Edition Box-Set, 5392 pages
Published October 27th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published 1991)

Start your review of The Complete History Of Middle-Earth (Middle-Earth Universe)
Tieria's
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm using this collective edition of the History because I simply don't have time to address each volume separately. When I first learned of this collection, I thought it was for high-end Tolkien fanatics, and never considered myself to be such. A couple of years and re-readings of the Silmarillion later, I found I wanted more, and I bought the first four volumes on sale in a boxed set. I am now finishing up volume 11.

These books are a fascinating look at the methods of an author whose most imp
Michael
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is not an easy read and should not be the first book to read if you're new to Tolkien, in fact, it should probably be last, after you've read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, then The Silmarillion and probably Unfinished Tales.

It is an in-depth account of the First Age and the conflict between Morgoth and the elves, men and other gods. It is an awe-inspiring epic of stupendous scale, and it is hard to believe that one man and his fantastical fantasy mind created such a world. If only such tal
Samyann
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? After a gazzilion people have made every comment known about this book, nothing earth-shattering. It's a bit on the juvenile side, but well ... so am I sometimes. I've never read any Tolkien before this book and I selected it as an introduction into the complete 'rings' series. Glad I did. Read it. You won't be sorry; it is truly an escape into another world.
Moonshad3
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting books each unique and great all on it's own Silmarillion is in a bible style so not for everyone's taste but an easy read non the less. The Hobbit well ment for children it is easy and lite and captivating at the same time. The lord of the rings saga.. well one hell of an experience. I personally enjoyed every moment with the books a must read for fantasy fans.
Gerald R.
Long, interesting for those fan who want to know all about middle-earth.
Marko Vasić
It was inevitable to afford a copy of this capitally edition, nevertheless I have all XII tomes as individual editions. These are my overall impressions about each of these five books, written one by one as I finished each of volumes:

I The Book of Lost Tales Part One

5/5 In one sentence - I'm fascinated. This book is real gem and beacon to all blurred and unclear parts in the final version of The Silmarillion. This book is missing link to onset of Tolkien's creation of his own mythology. It's
Thijs
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien
1 year. That's how much it cost me to finish this bad boy. 12 months, 1 part a month. And boy, was it a journey. A truly marvelous and epic journey through Tolkien's work and his own insights. Which I will try to summarize in some highlights.

Let me begin to say that somewhere within these 5392 pages, there are THE TWO ONLY whole DIRECT MENTIONS OF SEX in ALL of the works of Tolkien. Now where they are I shall not spoil, that is for you to read and find out.

Second only to this, I shall say that t
Octavia Cade
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read and reviewed each of the five volumes collected here separately, so this is really just for my own records. The rating for the collection is the average of the individual ratings - everything got three stars, apart from The Lost Road (also the last read) which got two. It dropped down to two stars because I was, frankly, sick to fucking death of all the repetition. It's long been a reading goal of mine to work through the histories of Middle-earth, because The Lord of the Rings and The Ho ...more
Jesus
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Как фанат ВК, я не смог пройти мимо полной истории Средиземья. Читал в издательстве Астра, поэтому пришлось привыкать к «Торбинсу» вместо «Бэггинса». В книге около 1400 страниц почти формата А4 с мелким шрифтом. Из них Хоббит занимает где-то 160;Сильмариллион ~ 300; Властелин Колец все остальное. Поэтому если с первыми двумя ещё относительно просто справиться, то с последним пришлось попотеть. 5 лет я начинал его читать, потом откладывал книгу ненадолго, а когда возвращался не мог ничего вспомни ...more
Jacopo Piermattei
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I 12 libri che compongono questa collana svelano passo dopo passo retroscena,curiosità, importanti informazioni di "lore" e si pongono come libri propedeutici che dopo il Silmarillion aiutano il lettore nella comprensione del mondo tolkeniano. Il lavoro fatto per ricostruire i primi schizzi di Arda, i collegamenti storici tra il nostro mondo e quello del professore, le lettere tra quest'ultimo e i commentatori dei suoi lavori ( personcine sconosciute come Lewis *sarcastic mode on*) è notevole, m ...more
Kimberley
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wholly understand that not everyone is even into The Lord of the Rings series, much less what amounts to the related ephemera. However, if you are, as I am, a deeply unashamed Tolkien dork, then these are a must-have. These are the first five, which deal with the creation and cosmology of Middle Earth itself, and not the actual writing of the books. Perfect for the sort of nutbar like myself who would really like to convince themselves that the world could exist. You know.

Standouts are The F
Katrin
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a rereading of the Silmarillion only, in Greek. But I cannot chose to reread in another language, since they are all editions of the same book, so I chose this Russian collection to at least give my thoughts on it. Well, I don't think I have to say much. I loved reading it again since I had forgotten much of it. The richness of Tolkien's world and words always astonish me. My Greek is not good enough yet (maybe never will?) to judge the translation. But from what I saw it was well done, ...more
Jade Rose
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These immortal stories have changed my life. I have read them well over twenty times and still I discover something new each time. The Return of the King is my favorite of the five here listed. In particular, the battle of the Pelennor fields is an incredibly touching chapter.
If you have not read these books, I suggest you do. Starting, of course with the Hobbit.

If you want to listen to them then Rob Ingles is the man for the job. He sings all the songs and his melodies are just lovely. He does
Peter
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An amazing body of work. I'm convinced that you need to be a Tolkien completist and fully immersed in middle earth, the elves etc etc to a) get the most out of this and b) to have any chance of completing this series of books.

If you have read everything J.R.R. Tolkien has done and you want more ... these books might be for you. I enjoyed getting even deeper into the Tolkien world, but understand it may not be for most readers.
Paul
I'm not anywhere near finished reading this series (on book 2) but I'm really enjoying them. They provide a concise account of the events related in the Silmarillion and even before that time.
Cool stuff.
PMZ
Matt
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are nothing if you haven't read all volumes of the History of Middle Earth. Sure they're still great stories, but once you know the legends behind the names and places, you can't go back.
Wildstar
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien, fantasy
Not an easy reading. Basically for hardcore fans. But once one has completed the Silmarillion, enjoyed it and wants more, the history is a fabulous adventure inside the creation of the Tolkien universe.

Also a great act of love by a son for the work of his father.
Sean Tierney
Wonderful works of literature
Stephen Smith
The Lost Road and Other Writings (The History of Middle-Earth, Vol. 5) by J.R.R. Tolkien (1996)
Eliyahu (Marc)
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Best of the best
Khajiit J'jirra Roudhari
□ read Tolkien's The Histories of Middle Earth before kicking the bucket.
Emily
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the whole trilogy and the Hobbit. I can't wait to start the Silmarillion! I think these books would be the first ones I would recommend.
Donald Fenestre
still holds up as a good introduction to the world of Tolkein. Gollum is more scary to my adult imagination than he was to my younger imagination.
Michele
Pleyhades
Jan 13, 2013
William Jordan
Apr 21, 2013
J.R.R. Tolkien: Re-Reading the History of Middle-Earth 1 19 Aug 20, 2015 04:54AM

• The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman
  • Letters from a Stoic
  • House of Bathory
  • Map: Collected and Last Poems
  • All Hail the Queen (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #1)
  • Return to the Ice Palace (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #8)
  • The Great Ice Engine (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #4)
  • Disney Frozen: A Year with Elsa  Anna (and Olaf, Too!)
  • Anna takes Charge (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #9)
  • Frozen: Elsa and Anna's Secrets
  • The Polar Bear Piper (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #5)
  • Memory and Magic (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #2)
  • The Secret Admirer (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #7)
  • The Arendelle Cup (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #6)
  • Einar & Astrid: Romance Erótico (Amores Vikingos nº 1)
  • Ana Rocha: Shadows of Justice
  • Presas
  • 五等分の花嫁 13 [Gotoubun no Hanayome 13] (The Quintessential Quintuplets #13)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English

Middle-earth Universe (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Children of Húrin
  • Beren and Lúthien
  • The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)