Start by marking “The Complete History Of Middle-Earth (Middle-Earth Universe)” as Want to Read:
The Complete History Of Middle-Earth (Middle-Earth Universe)

The Complete History Of Middle-Earth (Middle-Earth Universe)

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  903 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The complete 12-book History of Middle-earth, printed in three volumes and set in a matching box. J.R.R. Tolkien is famous the world over for his unique literary creation, exemplified in The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. What is less well known, however, is that he also produced a vast amount of further material that greatly expands upon the mythology ...more
Hardcover, Collector's Edition Box-Set, 5392 pages
Published October 27th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1991)

Tieria's
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm using this collective edition of the History because I simply don't have time to address each volume separately. When I first learned of this collection, I thought it was for high-end Tolkien fanatics, and never considered myself to be such. A couple of years and re-readings of the Silmarillion later, I found I wanted more, and I bought the first four volumes on sale in a boxed set. I am now finishing up volume 11.

These books are a fascinating look at the methods of an author whose most imp
Michael
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is not an easy read and should not be the first book to read if you're new to Tolkien, in fact, it should probably be last, after you've read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, then The Silmarillion and probably Unfinished Tales.

It is an in-depth account of the First Age and the conflict between Morgoth and the elves, men and other gods. It is an awe-inspiring epic of stupendous scale, and it is hard to believe that one man and his fantastical fantasy mind created such a world. If only such tal
Samyann
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? After a gazzilion people have made every comment known about this book, nothing earth-shattering. It's a bit on the juvenile side, but well ... so am I sometimes. I've never read any Tolkien before this book and I selected it as an introduction into the complete 'rings' series. Glad I did. Read it. You won't be sorry; it is truly an escape into another world.
Moonshad3
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting books each unique and great all on it's own Silmarillion is in a bible style so not for everyone's taste but an easy read non the less. The Hobbit well ment for children it is easy and lite and captivating at the same time. The lord of the rings saga.. well one hell of an experience. I personally enjoyed every moment with the books a must read for fantasy fans.
Marko Vasić
It was inevitable to afford a copy of this capitally edition, nevertheless I have all XII tomes as individual editions. These are my overall impressions about each of these five books, written one by one as I finished each of volumes:

I The Book of Lost Tales Part One

5/5 In one sentence - I'm fascinated. This book is real gem and beacon to all blurred and unclear parts in the final version of The Silmarillion. This book is missing link to onset of Tolkien's creation of his own mythology. It's a
Jacopo Piermattei
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I 12 libri che compongono questa collana svelano passo dopo passo retroscena,curiosità, importanti informazioni di "lore" e si pongono come libri propedeutici che dopo il Silmarillion aiutano il lettore nella comprensione del mondo tolkeniano. Il lavoro fatto per ricostruire i primi schizzi di Arda, i collegamenti storici tra il nostro mondo e quello del professore, le lettere tra quest'ultimo e i commentatori dei suoi lavori ( personcine sconosciute come Lewis *sarcastic mode on*) è notevole, m ...more
Kimberley
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wholly understand that not everyone is even into The Lord of the Rings series, much less what amounts to the related ephemera. However, if you are, as I am, a deeply unashamed Tolkien dork, then these are a must-have. These are the first five, which deal with the creation and cosmology of Middle Earth itself, and not the actual writing of the books. Perfect for the sort of nutbar like myself who would really like to convince themselves that the world could exist. You know.

Standouts are The F
Katrin
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a rereading of the Silmarillion only, in Greek. But I cannot chose to reread in another language, since they are all editions of the same book, so I chose this Russian collection to at least give my thoughts on it. Well, I don't think I have to say much. I loved reading it again since I had forgotten much of it. The richness of Tolkien's world and words always astonish me. My Greek is not good enough yet (maybe never will?) to judge the translation. But from what I saw it was well done, ...more
Jade Webber
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These immortal stories have changed my life. I have read them well over twenty times and still I discover something new each time. The Return of the King is my favorite of the five here listed. In particular, the battle of the Pelennor fields is an incredibly touching chapter.
If you have not read these books, I suggest you do. Starting, of course with the Hobbit.

If you want to listen to them then Rob Ingles is the man for the job. He sings all the songs and his melodies are just lovely. He does
Peter
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An amazing body of work. I'm convinced that you need to be a Tolkien completist and fully immersed in middle earth, the elves etc etc to a) get the most out of this and b) to have any chance of completing this series of books.

If you have read everything J.R.R. Tolkien has done and you want more ... these books might be for you. I enjoyed getting even deeper into the Tolkien world, but understand it may not be for most readers.
Paul
I'm not anywhere near finished reading this series (on book 2) but I'm really enjoying them. They provide a concise account of the events related in the Silmarillion and even before that time.
Cool stuff.
PMZ
Wildstar
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien, fantasy
Not an easy reading. Basically for hardcore fans. But once one has completed the Silmarillion, enjoyed it and wants more, the history is a fabulous adventure inside the creation of the Tolkien universe.

Also a great act of love by a son for the work of his father.
Sean Tierney
Wonderful works of literature
Stephen Smith
The Lost Road and Other Writings (The History of Middle-Earth, Vol. 5) by J.R.R. Tolkien (1996)
Eliyahu (Marc)
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Best of the best
Snuffaluffagus .
□ read Tolkien's The Histories of Middle Earth before kicking the bucket.
Emily
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the whole trilogy and the Hobbit. I can't wait to start the Silmarillion! I think these books would be the first ones I would recommend.
Donald Fenestre
still holds up as a good introduction to the world of Tolkein. Gollum is more scary to my adult imagination than he was to my younger imagination.
Michele
Ravi
Oct 17, 2012
Jan Dumas
Aug 05, 2016
J.R.R. Tolkien: Re-Reading the History of Middle-Earth 1 19 Aug 20, 2015 04:54AM
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • Star Wars: The Story of Darth Vader
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes
  • World of Warcraft: Ultimate Visual Guide
  • Dragonology Tracking and Taming Dragons Volume 1: A Deluxe Book and Model Set: European Dragon
  • Dragolin
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Atlas of Middle-Earth
  • How Spider Saved Halloween
  • The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • The Lotus Caves
  • The History of the Hobbit (One-Volume Edition)
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century
  • The Marvel Encyclopedia
  • Ardneh's Sword (Empire of the East, #4)
  • The Goblins of Labyrinth
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • Avatar (Indigo, #6)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan

Middle-Earth Universe (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Hobbit
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Children of Húrin
  • Beren and Lúthien
  • The Fall of Gondolin
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Logan's Run: Vintage Movie Classics (A Vintage Movie Classic)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)