Start by marking “Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #4)” as Want to Read:
Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #4)

Red Skies

(Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #4)

Published March 1st 2014 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 1st 2014)

Start your review of Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #4)
Edith S
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love Kay Bratt's books. I think that she may be laureled as the modern-day China's Pearl S. Buck. Her stories about the plight of unwanted children in modern-day China due to the one-child law implemented to prevent exponential population growth is mind opening. But sociopolitical discussions aside, her stories are mesmerizing. They are page-turners.

Now, I can start talking about Red Skies as a companion book to the books in The Tales of the Scavenger's
Chris
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the Chinese culture and in particular the plight of children in China
I am a huge fan of the books written by Kay Bratt, and in particular, the Tales of the Scavengers Daughters series. This book is a companion to the original three books in the series and lived up to my expectations in every way.

From the very beginning of the book, the reader is brought into the life of Mari, Benfu and Cali's oldest daughter, who is living in Beijing with her husband. At the same time, we are introduced to some street children and Max, an American in China for business and
Rita Arnson
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! It's my favorite book that Kay Bratt has written so far. Her characters have such richness that I felt like I was living the story through Mari's eyes. Kay has done an excellent job of researching the culture and way of life in China. Her stories draw us in and give us a better idea of the lives of the abandoned and/or abducted children. As the grandmother of 3 beautiful little girls adopted from China I appreciate them so much more and I'm so grateful they have joined our ...more
Jool
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I urge you to read this series by Kay Bratt, "The Scavenger's Daughters". Best books ever!!
Carly Hallman
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
There are so many cultural and factual inaccuracies in these books, and yet I cannot stop reading them. And I'll likely continue reading them. :/
Joann

This is book # 4 in this series and I listened to them with audible and maybe that is why they were more enjoyable to me than reading.
At first, I thought I had the wrong book as it starts in Beijing but then I realized it was the oldest daughter of Benfu who is married. It follows her and their troubles of trying to make a living since her husband hurt his back. Into this story you also have two street children and an American photo-journalist who just happens to enter into Mari's life. I
T Fay Williams
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful series! I've read other books by Kay Bratt but this is the very best. She writes with a deep knowledge of the emotions tied to relationships. I am haunted by the Scavenger's Daughters. I also like that her characters are survivors of very tragic pasts and are triumphant in the end! I also enjoyed learning more about China's political situation that was brewing as I was growing up. I remember reading about China and its social and political problems; but, I did not have the overview ...more
Debby
What a terrific audible book! I felt compassion for Mari and felt so bad for her marriage. I was not expecting her husband's decision and it made me so sad.
As for Max, it was obvious to me why her daughter wasn't accompanying him to China.
Ah Ni, bless her heart and the two street girls. I felt such sorrow for their plight, realizing that this book was talking about the issues of homeless kids who become owned by gangs.
It was a bit of a stretch how the fate of Max, Ah Ni and Mari all came
Paulette
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done-reading
If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would of. Wonderful story, heart-tugging, lots of emotions. This author has a fantastic way of writing, I have read the whole series and have to say i liked this one the best, but really they all were good. I just couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen. I was sad, I was angry, I was happy while reading this book. I can't say enough about it. So far I have liked everything this author has written. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Beth
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not my favorite book in the series.

I liked getting to know Mari better. Even though she in a few of the previous books, the reader really gets to know her in this book; her story had me in tears. Max is a great addition to the story, just enough mystery to keep me guessing. Benfu and Callie make an appearance but the rest of the daughters are mentioned only in passing if at all. An Ni and Mei are the heart of the story, and their journey was terrifying.

I had a hard time with this
Rena
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Again Kay Bratt has hit it out of the park with this continuing story of Benfu and Calli and their daughters. This has been an amazing journey as the lives of these girls are changed by living caring people who become their real family. I strongly recommend reading these books in order. I have now begun the final book in the series The Palest Ink which is the prequel. Very interesting Learning the background. I think this book is well placed as the final one.
Patricia
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

The 4th book of this series was as captivating as the first. I have heard about the conditions for the "lost children" of China but never imagined how horrific conditions must be for them especially the girls. I found this book to be captivated as well as addictive. I had a hard time putting this book down. The other 3 books that I have read were just as interesting and they all touched me. I would recommend this series to anyone that is looking for a good book
Sally Stanton
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this story taking place in China. I think this was one of my Audible deals and the reviews were so good, I gave it a try. Even though the story took predictable turns I delighted in the journey. I would read this author again depending on the story. This was from the middle of a series but I did not find it an issue getting into the characters and setting.
The Audible narrator did a great job.
Louise
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story Description:
"I feel empty, as though I'm leaving behind a piece of myself." As the daughter of the town scavenger, Mari grew up knowing hardship, but she could have never anticipated the struggles facing her as an adult. Feeling alone and isolated, she dreams of a better life. On the other side of town, a little girl is forced to live on the streets, but silently she longs for the one thing she's never known - a family. Max, a struggling American photojournalist, arrives in China with only
Lucy Isaacson
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Read

I really enjoyed this book. I found it the most engrossing of the four books in the series I have read so far and I cant wait to read the next one! The book was gripping right from the beginning and was hard to put down. It was a wonderful, heartwarming story and I highly recommend it.
Susan Lemma weisman
Favorite (so far)

I really enjoyed this entry in the series. The characters were well developed, the plot keep moving, and it was very touching without too much melodrama. The intersections of cultures allowed the author the show the same events through different lenses. I also loved the magical elements of the plot. Very good read.
Aaron California
Reader Comments

This novel is for everyone who has lost or no longer has a family. Let this novel give you hope of being reunited with your lost family or of creating a new family of your own someday.
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great historical read

This was a good read on China history till present time. Even now this is going on with girls and boys being stolen and used for slave trade all over the world.
Jan
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very impressed with this entire series! I can't imagine all the research that went into it! It brought out many emotions and was hard to read at times, but I am so glad I stayed with it. I was blown away how everything came together at the end! ❤❤❤❤❤
Karen P
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series

Each book could stand on its own but I recommend they be read in order. Wonderful family values in each one. The author's knowledge of China and its customs and culture are such that you really feel you are there .
Debbie Sweeney
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.

4th book in a 5 book series. Many in China have not valued female children. Many are abandoned or are otherwise homeless. These books are about a family that have brought the homeless/abandoned girls into their home and raised them with love
Della Lynam
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read!

I have enjoyed every book in this series of the Scavengers daughter and this one was no different. In fact this might have been one of my favorites. It certainly doesn't disappoint.
Kristal
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy these books. Even though the Scavenger and his wife do not play main roles in this story. Mari, their daughter, and her struggles and those of the orphans/missing children she has encountered kept me turning pages.
Valerie
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening, emotional and enjoyable

I enjoyed this book series. In an easy-to-read format, the book talk me a lot about Chinese history and customs. There were times when the use of American slang distracted me from the story line, but overall it made the book an easy read.
Pamala Doughty
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best one yet!

This was the best book of the ssriez, and they were all good! Hope to be reading lots more of her books!
Meladie Bickley
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wish this series wouldn't stop!
Vicky Connelly
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now I have a glimpse of what life would be like as a street child ... in China. I found myself rooting for all three girls but I was also fearful of the storys ending ...more
Geraldine Gust
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Red Skies is so worth reading

The author so brilliantly brought the story of abducted Chinese children to life in this book. It was hard to put it down.
Grace
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an awesome series! So heartwarming though it deals with very serious issues. Why are there only 4 books though? We still havent uncovered the mystery of some of the daughters! ...more
Monica
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Worth of a Child

Another heartbreaking tale allowing us to look into the Scavenger and his familys lives. Personalizing these global issues makes them harder to ignore.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Family Journal
  • The Road She Left Behind
  • Stay
  • The Season of Silver Linings (A Sweet Lake Novel Book 3)
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
  • Just After Midnight
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Hello Love
  • Where The Story Starts
  • The Wake Up
  • Have You Seen Luis Velez?
  • The Forever Gift (The Gift Series, #2)
  • When We Believed in Mermaids
  • My Way to You (Creek Canyon, #1)
  • The Twelfth Child (Serendipity, #1)
  • Heaven Adjacent
  • The Empty Nesters
  • Where We Fall
Kay Bratt is the author of eleven full-length novels and two childrens books. Her writing became her solace and support while she navigated a tumultuous childhood, followed by a decade of abuse as an adult. After working her way through the hard years, Kay came out a survivor and a pursuer of peaceand finally found the courage to share her stories. A wise man once told her to write what you know, ...more

Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters (4 books)
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #1)
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #2)
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)

News & Interviews

“For the first time in over a year, he felt needed, and he also felt he was where he was supposed to be. And those feelings were something he’d trade everything he’d ever owned to hold on to it for a moment longer.” 0 likes