Start by marking “Land” as Want to Read:
Land

Land

The sea rose. Civilisation was wiped out, countries drowned. Out of the ashes of a desperate refugee camp, a new society was born, with a new place to call home: Land. Trapped by an aggressive sea, its citizens were bound to rules that saw the weak removed, marriage and children by approval only, and designated work for all. All for the greater good......

Decades later, and
Published September 4th 2014 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land

Mieneke
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
What initially drew me to Alex Campbell’s debut Land was its setting. Land is set in the closed community of Land, a walled-off island somewhere in Europe, surrounded by water after the majority of earth has been submerged by a major flood. Living in a country where much of the land was hard-won from the water and where dikes and dams are what keep our feet dry in the western part of the country, this is a catastrophe that is very much a real probability, even if most likely on a smaller scale. ...more
Georgia Phoenix
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hmm, I guess all I have to say is, 'it's been done'. It neatly followed the recipe for a dystopia that we've been fed before time and time again. The protagonist, Christy is kind of sharp, a touch arrogant or at least cynical (which, who can blame her, she lives in hell), she despises the society she lives in, is for some impractical and unconvincing reason solely relied on to crush that society despite undeniable lack of skills on her part and she cannot chose between her two physically-flawles ...more
Elaine
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A YA Dystopian novel where the action starts on page one and doesn’t let up until the end. Set in a world that has been decimated by the oceans rising, the residents of land live under the dictatorship of the Leader. Everyone knows their place, does the jobs they are assigned to, pairs with who they are told to pair with (if they are lucky) and have children when they are given permission. Land is short on resources, so when people reach the age of 66 they are picked for Selection, as are the si ...more
Louise Colclough
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book free via First Reads...

This is a unique dystopian story. I enjoyed it very much, I loved the characters and the ending was amazing!

Overall, this novel is an enjoyable read!
Robin Bennett
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Our middle boy (11) read this and loved it, so I read it together with our eldest son (13), who is a reluctant reader at the best of times. It worked really well because the story gets going in no time and doesn't let up, so he never got bored or drifted off, which happens. Personally, I loved the 'world' of Land and could easily read more about it (prequal?), he went for the action but the main characters are really good and you care enough about them to get caught up in it all. We'll read Clou ...more
Rachel
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Action-PACKED! Could not put it down.
Hazel
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Land is all 😜.
Helen Auld
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
This felt a bit like "Divergent" and "Matched" had a baby and then the "The Hunger Games" adopted it. It was all too easy to draw parallels with all of these books; a main character who can't decided between two boys besotted with her, a world divided up into factions, or colours or districts or whatever, a young girl who suddenly ends up being a fighter. I don't know, I should have liked it but I didn't. I liked that it was a natural disaster that turned the world to hell (rather than war or hu ...more
AmandaEmma
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

This review was originally published on my blog; Little Miss Reader

I really enjoyed this! It feels like a mash-up of a bunch of my favorite dystopias!

Let's start with talking about the world. The place where they live is called Land - hence the title - and it's only a small part of the world - not the entire world. They can't leave since there's water all around. I think Land is, hands down, horrible and this is w
Tal
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it

Decades later, and seventeen year-old Christy's life is on the cusp of irrevocable change. She has become eligible for the Pairing, a carefully
Samina ~ Escapism~
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, dystopian
This debut novel written by Alex Campbell revolves around Christy who lives in a city called The Land, which is surrounded by seas with only the great white walls protecting them from the ever increasing sea. Land is a dystopia, so we have the the government and a class systems leeching off the poor working class, the different classes are made to wear different colour to further distinguish between the classes. Christy is the daughter of a rebel who was executed by the government but there are ...more
Minkyung Cho
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This book has some cruel parts in it as the story is mainly about protesting against the controlling, freedom-oppressing government. So I would recommend this book to about 15 years old, as I, as 14 years old, could not fully enjoy the book because of its cruelness and partly-inappropriate plots for young teenagers.

The story has lots of twists, and thus the main character, Christabel, feels abandoned and betrayed quite often.

While you proceed with the book, you will often find that Christabel i
Ashley Riley
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I gave this book a good clean 3 stars. It was okay. It wasn't bad or horrible or Nasty or Boring or any of those things but neither was it different, unputtdownable, brillant. Near the end, the book was heaartwrenching. Thats it. Im numb.

I picked up the book because on the back it said she would choose to be a spy, a lover, an assasin and I guess I got that. Barely.
At first Christy is really bad at the spywork then she excels out of nowhere, over night. I found this really annoying as well, as
Lauren
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I received Land through a Goodreads competition, so thank you to the author for sending me a copy! :)
I really enjoyed the book; the pace was good, the characters interesting and the plot itself became intense at points. I found myself most interested in the very beginning and at the end, which maybe suggests I found the middle a little slow to read, however it was necessary to the development of the story. The idea of Pairing really grabbed me, giving a really good starting point for the novel.
AuroraBlaze
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
It was an interesting book. I'm always a fan of a good dystopia, where people are divided into classes of useful and useless. And using color to identify those classes is very efficient. And what others have said about it being similar to the Holocaust is very true. People keeping their heads down, pretending to be happy with the government, ignoring those being mistreated just to stay safe themselves. And don't forget about the eugenics.
(view spoiler)
Luna
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start? Land completely surpassed all expectations. Those ‘blown-away’ books I hear about, Land was that for me.

Much of Land sounds familiar in this genre; there is a class system based of the work you do. One class rules the others, Christy lives with her grandmother in the poor sector and her grandmother is about to be sent for selection. Trust me I was thinking ‘here’s another one’ but Land is SO MUCH MORE and SO GOOD. (Yep the CAPS are out – I’m making a point here.)

Alex Campbell’s
Karen Barber
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ticks all the boxes for YA dystopian fiction, but this shouldn't put you off!

Christy might be a character that annoys some, but I found her engaging and realistically portrayed. My personal gripe was Tobin, her pair, who infuriated me as his presence just stopped Christy from realising what was right in front of her! The various threads of the plot had me second-guessing what would happen constantly, and I felt this would offer young adult readers an interesting view on a number of pertinent iss
Jess
I initially found this book difficult to get into due to how argumentative Christy, the main character was, even though she claimed she would do anything to help. However, as Christy's character developed and more of the past was revealed and how it played a role in the present I changed my mind about this book. I would definitely be interested in reading a book 2 should one be written and seeing what happens to Christy and whether One is successful in his goals and if he remains true to them. O ...more
The Book Moo
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Woah, this book blew my mind! At first, it started off like any other dystopia read and I felt myself comparing it to Matched by Ally Condie.
However it was 10x more addictive and turned out to be AMAZING! I would highly recommend this book because Alex has managed to fit so much into a short book. You have multiple characters (btw, how can Christy be so unlucky?!) who all seem to contribute in some element and you have an unbelievable family tree and plot. My mind is blown.

I would kinda like a s
Natalie
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I'm already imaging what would be in a sequel and that's always a good sign !
Full of action right from the start. I would describe it as a cross between The Hunger Games, Divergent and Frozen (did anyone else get that?lol)
Highly recommend if your a fan of YA Dystopian stories or if your yet to discover them.
PLEASE WRITE A SEQUEL !!!

I received a copy free through GoodReads First Read giveaways!
Victoria Jane
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This has a brilliantly clever premise, is action packed and it held me from start to finish. However, I found the protagonist very difficult to like and thought that the romance storyline was really underplayed. I would read other books from this author and would recommend this but it was lacking emotion for me.
Emma
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A high-octane dystopian adventure with sinister shades of Orwell and the Third Reich, and a ballsy, believable heroine. Campbell writes beautifully, and her adept world-building brings this brutal society surrounded by sea convincingly to life. Packed with twists and dilemmas, the pace never slackens, pulling you towards to its enthralling conclusion. Highly recommended.
Michaela
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Received a free copy through Goodreads First Reads.

Bit predictable at times. Not a fan of the end, unless there will be a second book. I want to know what happens to One and Tobin! Also the whole Christy, Tobin and Salinger situation seemed forced and a bit of a cop out.
Natasha
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh the utter excitement of this book found me grabbing it hungrily every time I had a spare minute to read. Beautifully written and described, you are really rooting for Christie, the main character, throughout.
I can't wait for the sequel because there simply must be one!
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
LAND is fast paced with a great plot and strong characters. It is well written and unique. The characters were likeable and I felt compassion for them. I liked the ending, but I felt as if I needed a few more chapters after the end about Tobin, One, and the other citizens of LAND.
Fern blackmore
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing, a truly good read! there where turns at every page, the story was believable and the pace was perfect, the ending has been left so it can be continued at another time if the author so wishes! (i hope so!) its a really brilliant book and kept me entertained for a few days.
Lorraine
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
It has a fantastic plot, with never a dull moment. Some likeable, strong characters and some not so likeable ones.
It was really hard to put down.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Lucie
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Could not put it down - brilliantly gripping story, great pace and engaging characters. Finished it wanting more - quality teen fiction for a teen at heart!
Tricia
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good page turner, with the added advantage of making you think about society and the future.
Ellie
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Review to follow.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Stray (Stray, #1)
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • The Boy with the Tiger's Heart
  • Mother Tongue
  • The Book of Storms (The Book of Storms Trilogy, #1)
  • The Illusionists (Fearsome Dreamer, #2)
  • The Door That Led to Where
  • The Black North
  • Way Down Dark  (The Australia Trilogy, #1)
  • Beyond The Wall