Start by marking “I've Got You Under My Skin” as Want to Read:
I've Got You Under My Skin

I've Got You Under My Skin

(Under Suspicion #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  16,582 ratings  ·  1,612 reviews
A Manhattan ER doctor is in the local playground with his young son when someone ruthlessly guns him down. Now his young widow, a television producer, is raising their son alone and is under pressure to come up with a successful TV series. Her new show will focus on cold case files.

Revisiting unsolved crimes one at a time, she and her TV crew plan to gather friends and
Published April 1st 2014 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about I've Got You Under My Skin, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  16,582 ratings  ·  1,612 reviews

Start your review of I've Got You Under My Skin
Sara
May 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phoning-it-in, eh
Mary Higgins Clark is my guilty pleasure read as I'm sure she is for a lot of people who are generally giant literature snobs but occasionally want to "go slumming" to use the coloquial term. I also enjoy the odd Amish romance. I'm weird that way.

I think I like her because she's literally been writing the same book over and over again for years. There's something oddly comforting about her constant recycling of the gorgeous, impeccably dressed, wildly successful at whatever she does but
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading MHC since her very first book, 'Where Are The Children?' Came out in 1975. Ever missef a one. She is my all time favorite mystery writer! She never fails to buils the suspense until the reader is biting their nails, trying to figure out whodunit.

MHC builds a solid foundation fir her story, then deftly adds characters and sliwly adds more and more information about each one. She does this so well that, at every announcement, the reader believes they know who the crook is. Not
Monnie
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you pick up a mystery by Mary Higgins Clark, it's a pretty sure bet it will read quickly and easily without lots of undue mess and mayhem. That's certainly true in this case, but this time, she managed something I don't think I've ever experienced before: I didn't really like a single character in this book.

Let me explain. The woman I presume to be the heroine, Laurie Moran, is producing the pilot for a true crime TV show, during which a cold case will be re-examined and the story told by
Sharon
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-read
Laurie Moran has never felt safe after her husband Greg was shot and killed in a local park whilst playing with their four year old son, Timmy. The killer who got away was named "Blue Eyes" by Timmy.

Whilst Laurie is heavily involved with her workplace at the TV station her father, Leo a retired police officer helps out with Timmy whenever he can. Knowing that "Blue Eyes" is still out there somewhere is unnerving, particularly when the last words he said were that Laurie and Timmy would be next.
Melanie
May 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was sad that this wasn't one of the better Mary Higgins Clark novels I have read. It sounded interesting, a woman is murdered in her sleep while 4 recent college graduates are staying over after a party. The murder is never solved. 20 Years later, they get together for a reunion of sorts to go over their memories for a documentary show.
The book takes place in first person of each character talking about their memories etc. I was able to follow that part without problem, but they frequently
Linda Strong
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Because her husband was murdered and the killer never caught. Laurie Moran is producing a cold-case TV program.

First up is a murder that took place 20 years ago and was never solved. At the center of the case are 4 women, who were college girls back then and they all had a reason to want the murdered woman dead.

Meanwhile the man who killed Laurie's husband is stalking her ..just waiting for a chance to kill her and her young son.

This is a typical MHC book ... full of suspense with
Natalie
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It just seemed to lack the spark of her earlier novels. The mystery was lackluster.
Fran Bernitz
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is absolutely classic Mary Higgins Clark! I woke up before 5 am to finish reading this superb suspense novel and was not disappointed.
Suzanne
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a group of some awful people in this book. Very entertaining though. The murderer could have been anyway and then the subplot on Lauries husbands murder and the threatening situation of her and her son, Timmy. Now I am completely hooked on the characters of Laurie and Alex and this series. Going to continue it right away!

My quick and simple overall: an entertaining, quick read.
Rob1109
Nov 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unable-to-finish
Whodunit?
Who cares?

What a disappointment. What an awful book.

For some time now Ive wanted to read Mary Higgins Clark. Shes been well known for decades and has numerous books on library shelves. I finally decided to pick one up, Ive got You Under My Skin. I really wanted to like this book. I really was hoping to find a new author I enjoyed and stumble into a huge catalogue of novels I could peruse.

Im writing this review without having finished the book, something Ive only done one other time. I
Author Annabelle Leigha
Another Mary Higgins Clark masterpiece! I will be buying a copy for my library in hardback!
thePromoParrot
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I've Got You Under My Skin by Mary Higgins Clark is a thrilling and beautifully written crime mystery about a widowed mother and her son haunted by a nightmare. Five years after the death of her husband, Laurie Moran and her young son Timmy are still living in the shadows of that fateful day, always fearful of her husband's killer, who threatened to come back for them.

When her professional work demanded something creative, Laurie settled for unsolved crime cases for her television show, hoping
Toni
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very simplistic. I was expecting something more. I feel disappointed. Maybe I am just getting to picky in my old age.
Heather
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I never pick up another Higgins Clark book it will be too soon. Bland predictable writing. Too many parts of the book are just ridiculous. Lacklustre.
Ellen Moore
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent mystery! I have read all of this author's books over the years and classify this one among her best. There were plenty of suspects, several simultaneous story lines, and personal life stories of the characters revealed along with action drama and suspense. It was written in Clark's unique style, and I found it a satisfying read.
Farrah Johnson
I am a huge fan of Mary Higgins Clark and I've read every single one of her books. I have to say, this book was written in her regular style but seemed to lack the sense that is found in 95% of her other novels. The storyline itself was intriguing: a windowed woman who happens to be a television producer is filming a new show that will reenact the night of the Graduation Party, where socialite Betsy Powell was smothered in her bed while she slept. All the suspects from that night, including her ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
I know exactly to what expect from this author. A good mystery, filled with many characters and many red herrings.

She has a very unique style of writing which is pretty easy to read.

As usual, this story is filled with mystery, characters with loads of secrets which are revealed throughout the story, different POVs which get you into the characters head.

This book had a good plot a reality show based on reenacting unsolved murders with the actual persons involved in the case.

I found it a bit hard
Maureen
May 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Maryann
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say! Every year I wait anxiously for spring, when Mary Higgins Clark brings out a new, wonderful book. This is her 33rd mystery and suspense book and I was pleased. I haven't decided if I want the hard back or the Kindle edition, but I went ahead and borrowed my friend's copy and read it in one day! I know her books are somewhat formulary,but they always leave me satisfied. :O)
Barbara Heckendorn
(4½)
Great introduction to a new series for me. Five years after her husband's murder, Lorie Moran makes a reality film about an unsolved case. Four women, now in their early forties, return to the scene where the landlady had been murdered twenty years earlier. At that time a prom was given for the four women. Today the women report what happened back then because the Damascus sword that it was one of them always hangs over them. Over time, you also realize that everyone had a reason to kill the
Quenya
So this story had a really great concept and I liked Laurie, her crew and family. But the mystery was a huge disappointment. I had no interest in the cold case but the suspects were terrible characters and completely unlikable. The side mystery held a lot of intensity and is really what kept me interested in the story. It was good.

I think MHC realized how unlikable the suspects were and tried to not really redeem but try to give them more reasons to like them but it was too late by then. I also
Gina
This book started out pretty good. It had a thrilling opener and seemed to have a good potential for a great story. However, once the production of the TV show started everything just sort of got very dull. I didn't connect with any of the characters and the four graduates who returned for the show to tell the world they were innocent of socialite, Betsy Powell's, murder all became very repetitive in their "stories" and that's all the reader read about for about 100 pages was not only their ...more
Steph
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Kellenberger
This is the first and last Mary Higgins Clark book I'll read. I struggled to get through it.
Crystal (theleisurelibrary)
**Book Review** I've Got You Under My Skin by Mary Higgins Clark
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (4 Stars)
This is my first ever Mary Higgins Clark read (big thanks to a dear friend for suggesting this as a buddy read). I've Got You Under My Skin begins with a man, Dr. Greg Moran, being killed by a man "Blue Eyes". The crazy part is his 3-year old son, Timmy, witnessed it all! "Blue Eyes" told Timmy that his mother was to be killed next, followed by him. Laurie Moran, wife and mother, is saddened but is slowly
Marla Argüelles
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Oh, Mary!!
I truly admire the way she built the story but she gave herself away in this one. With that being said, I truly enjoyed this book. She's still my favorite suspense writer.
All my love and respect goes to her.
I must leave you now because even though it's 3:37AM, another one of her novels is calling my name.
A. S.
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Higgins Clarks latest thriller, Ive got you under my skin, follows the story of a murder at a party celebrating the college graduation of four friendsClaire Bonner (at whose house the party was hosted), Nina Craig, Alison Schaefer, and Regina Callon. Claires mother, Betsy Powell is suffocated with a pillow by one of the guests at this party, which also includes Claires rich stepfather Robert Powell, their sour-faced housekeeper Jane, and rich family friend George.

Twenty years later,
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
I know this is crazy to say but I have never read a Mary Higgins Clark book before listening to this one. I have watched the made for TV movies based on her books and I have always liked them, just never got around to the books.

Ive Got You Under My Skin was an interested mystery suspense about Laurie Moran a producer who has had one to many flops and needs a good show to save her career. She decides to try a true crime show about a graduating gala from twenty years ago that ended with the murder
Book Him Danno
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on a bus to New Orleans from Minnesota with a bunch of high school choir students the bus was noisy but I found I was able to concentrate on the story line as I worked at unraveling the mystery presented in this book. It was fast enough to keep me interested in the book and not in the conversations all around me. Teenagers can be loud. I did have to answer a few questions from the needy teens here and there also glancing out the windows to see where we were along the way-but I ...more
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
I've read this series out of order and it was probably a very good thing. While I enjoyed All Dressed In White immensely, this book suffers from the same overwhelming amount of characters and muddled sub-plots upon subplots that plagues The Cinderella Murder, which was quite similar in it's story line to I've Got You Under My Skin. The book is well written, but poorly executed. It's too hard to keep up with so many individuals, each having at least two family members with an associated ...more
Houston County Pu...: March~April 2020 I've Got You Under My Skin 1 4 Feb 28, 2020 02:12PM
Lightning rods are stationary objects meant to draw lightning. 3 6 Feb 26, 2017 12:18AM
I've got a lot of other projects 1 11 Jul 22, 2015 11:38PM
Arrived yesterday and already half done 4 41 Sep 04, 2014 04:22PM

• Deck the Halls
  • The Better Sister
  • All Day and a Night (Ellie Hatcher, #5)
  • Long Gone
  • Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher, #4)
  • If You Were Here
  • Angel's Tip (Ellie Hatcher #2)
  • Dead Connection (Ellie Hatcher #1)
  • Judgment Calls (Samantha Kincaid #1)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • 212 (Ellie Hatcher #3)
  • The Ex
  • Voci nella nebbia
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)
  • Close Case (Samantha Kincaid #3)
  • The Wife
  • The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18)
The #1 New York Times bestselling author Mary Higgins Clark has written thirty-eight suspense novels, four collections of short stories, a historical novel, a memoir, and two childrens books. With bestselling author Alafair Burke she wrote the Under Suspicion series. With her daughter Carol Higgins Clark, she has coauthored five more suspense novels.

Clarks books have sold more than 100 million

Under Suspicion (6 books)
  • The Cinderella Murder (Under Suspicion, #2)
  • All Dressed in White (Under Suspicion, #3)
  • The Sleeping Beauty Killer (Under Suspicion, #4)
  • Every Breath You Take (Under Suspicion, #5)
  • You Don't Own Me (Under Suspicion, #6)