Start by marking “Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1)” as Want to Read:
Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1)

Truthwitch

(The Witchlands #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  27,872 Ratings  ·  5,339 Reviews
There is an alternate cover edition for this ASIN here.

In a continent on the edge of war, two witches hold its fate in their hands.

Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.

Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Tr
Published January 5th 2016 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Truthwitch, please sign up.
Susan Yes! There are three planned sequels (so four planned books in the series)! :D Thanks for the question!
Susan Thanks for the question, @Cookie!! :D

Thanks for the question, @Cookie!! :D

At this point, there will (probably) be a sampler of TRUTHWITCH available on Netgalley/Edelweiss. It'll be a BIG sampler (like 40% of the book and almost 200 pages), but piracy has become such an issue, publishers are doing more and more samplers instead of full e-galleys.

There'll also be LOADS of giveaways between now and release! Via my Twitter( http://twitter.com/stdennard), my newsletter (http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/home...), and Goodreads!! So just stay tuned!! <3

Thanks for the question and the interest!! <3(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,285 books — 9,596 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,279 books — 6,906 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2016
"I will kill you," he went on.
"No." The girl's eyes thinned; she pushed herself further upright and the moon streamed over her. "I d-d-d..." She coughed. Then wiped her mouth. "I don't think you will."

Ah, this book. I went back and forth on the rating and I do want to say this: unlike the other highly anticipated January novel - Passenger - Truthwitch is a fast-paced, enjoyable adventure. However, I know picky fantasy readers will see right through this book.

If you are looking for a light fant
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
My full review can be found here: https://youtu.be/sFv_OsfgZKY

THIS WAS REALLY GOOD AHHH. I HATE TO ADD TO THE HYPE POOL, BUT IT WAS REALLY GOOD.
Susan built up such a unique world with amazing characters. I even liked the little romance that starts to build in this book! I'm all for books with romances that aren't overwhelming. My one complaint is that I found myself confused at times, because you're just expected to pick up on the different roles that the witches play. Other than that I really
Sarah Maas
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Make room on your all-time favorites shelf: TRUTHWITCH is an instant new classic.

It reminded me of why I started reading fantasy in the first place: its fierce and vibrant world, richly-drawn characters, and dazzling intrigue harkens to the best of Megan Whalen Turner, Robin Hobb, and Jacqueline Carey. And while it pays homage to the epic fantasies that have come before it, it also lays the foundation for a bright new chapter in the genre.

I haven’t been so enthralled and inspired by a book sin
Regan
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.25

I love female friendships
Susan
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I saw another author do this--give some insider info on the book via a review--and I thought it was a cool idea.

Basically, the entire Witchlands series will be full of the stuff you've come to expect from me (if you've read the Something Strange & Deadly series or the Starkillers Cycle). There's epic action, really high stakes, diverse lead characters, a huge world, and tense (tense!) romance(s).

On top of that, Truthwitch has elemental magic and a chosen pair (of kickass girls!) who bring ba
Lola
Jan 20, 2016 rated it did not like it

I'm so very sad to have to admit this, but TRUTHWITCH really isn't working for me. The world-building is hazy, therefore, I feel confused and frustrated. I keep trying to make order of things in my mind, and it's exhausting. The writing is not horrible but it doesn't flow. Many have mentioned fast-pacing, but I crazily feel like this is super slow because of how much it asks for our undivided attention and quick understanding... when nothing is really detailed or explained.

DNF at 25%. Can I blam
Navessa
“Safi acted instantly – as did the monk. His sword swished from its scabbard; her knife came up. She clipped the edge of his blade, parrying it aside.
He recovered and lunged. Safi lurched back. Her calves hit Iseult, yet in a single fluid movement, Iseult kneeled – and Safi rolled sideways over her back.
Initiate. Complete. It was how the girls fought. How they lived.
He was good. The best fighter she’d ever faced.
But Safi and Iseult were better.”

This book, to put it simply, is wildly entert
Katerina
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
“If you wanted to, Safiya, you could bend and shape the world.”

Dear Susan Dennard,

I love you. Je t'aime. Σ'αγαπώ. Te quiero. Ti amo. Ich liebe dich.
You are the sunshine to my stormy day. The medicine to my flu. The butter to my bread. The Saturday to my hectic week. The oasis to my desert. The strawberry topping to my chocolate ice-cream. The lyrics to my music.
The answer to my prayers. For it was the work of Book Gods that sent you to my life. I am going to celebrate our acquaintance by sa
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
5/3/18 - ON SALE for $2.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I don't know about the rest of you, but when one of my favorite authors recommends a book or another author, I AM THERE.

How much more so when the recommended author is the real life bff of said author? How much more so when the book in question is meant to be (at least in part) an expression of that friendship?

In her acknowledgements, Dennard says:

Friendships can be just as epic as romances . . .

That's lovely,
C.G. Drews
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I honestly feel like this book used a lot of words and said basically nothing at all. AGH. Maybe I'm an epic fantasy snob, but I like my epic fantasy to have a) world-building, b) engaging characters, and c) and interesting plot. Truthwitch failed at all of these and I'm so frustrated. ARGH.

I'm also 100% confused why it's so hyped. I feel like this book was slapped in my face MONTHS before release. I couldn't even go on twitter without seeing so much Truthwitch promos. And why? What did this bo
Bookdragon Sean
No, just no!

This is easily one of the worse fantasy books I’ve ever read. It does everything so badly; it literally embodies everything that can go wrong with the genre. Firstly, the plot is basic at best. The protagonists are being hunted, that is all. Secondly, the world is barely explained; there is no sense of history or the possibility that this world could have existed before the events of this book. Thirdly, the romance is a crappy case of love at first sight. Personally, I think it shou
Elise (TheBookishActress)
me as Susan Dennard tries to make me feel a single thing about the plot, worldbuilding, characters, and romance in this damn book:
description

This book was so ridiculously underwhelming. It’s got a lot of series potential, but a lot of it is very Bland Fantasy™. If you want random countries we’re not invested in, and characters you'd like to love but truly don’t, you'll probably like this.

Mostly, I just felt this was super narratively all over the place because it’s trying so hard to be A Cool Fantasy Book
Maureen
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really REALLY LOVED THIS BOOK. It's probably the first very very hyped book that has gone so far above and beyond my expectations that I can't even DEAL (six of crows is another but this went EVEN ABOVE THAT FOR ME)

I loved all the characters, their relationships, the plot the world building, the magic system, EVERYTHING so much.

It took a little bit for me to get into this (130 pages-ish) but once that mark hit, I was super into it. As my friend Paige said (and so described my feelings
Samantha
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2016
Although the world building was a bit confusing and clunky at the beginning, Truthwitch more than made up for that with its characters, twists, and turns. Rarely do I feel so instantly attached to an entire group of characters like I did with this book. Even though I originally got this ARC at BEA, I'm glad I waited to read it because I cannot imagine having to wait over a year for the next installment. A year will be painful enough. I am already eagerly anticipating my re-read of this book so I ...more
Taneika

I haven't felt this let down by a book in a very, very long time. At first, I put this down at about 60 pages because I thought I wasn't in the right frame of mind for it (or something to that extent), however as it turns out, this book was just not for me at all. I really wanted to love this and tried so hard to enjoy it but I just couldn't.

This book was EVERYWHERE. I couldn't go on Twitter, Youtube or freaking Instagram without seeing some mention of Truthwitch. THE BOOK WAS HYPED. I
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
"I guard the light-bringer,
And protect the dark-giver.
I live for the world-starte,
And die for the shadow-ender.
My blood, I offer freely.
My Threads, I offer wholly.
My eternal soul belongs to no one else.
Claim my Aether.
Guide my blade.
From now until the end."

I AM OBSESSED WITH TRUTHWITCH. It was on my top ten most anticipated releases of 2016 and it DID NOT disappoint one bit. I can already tell that this series is going to become one of my favorite series of all time because, guys, this world
Ben Alderson
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I did really enjoy this novel. But for me I just could not connect with anything. From the names to the places everything was just extremely confusing to me.

What i did love is this novel is a mixture between the grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo my FAV author and Aang the last airbender! :D

Better review to come soon!
Rachel E. Carter
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: br
First of all: A+++ for those heartthreads and the slow-burn-turned-crazy-hot-tension between Merik and Safi. Best way to describe this? Adult fantasy meets YA. For those of you that love super intricate world building and plot lines, this is your book.

...I read someone's review that said this book was a light fantasy read for people who wanted to read about dresses & balls and that picky fantasy readers would want something more complex. I don't agree. I honestly found the world building in
Samantha
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good, if not better, the second read through. Now on to Windwitch!
❄️Nani❄️
3.75⭐

Now that’s what I call a pleasant little surprise.

I loved this book. The reason why it’d taken me an entire year to finally decide to read it was because I’d already banked on it disappointing me. What a mistake that was.

I loved the overall plot and were it not for the gross lack of world building, it would’ve been a solid 4.5⭐ read.
But what it lacked in the WB, it more than made up for it with its characters.
AMZING CHARACTERS! Each one more intriguing than the previous, particularly the
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
3.5? 4?

For the positive, I love the magic system, the world, and the overall story.
For the negative, the love story was a bit too sickly sweet for me and the writing was not good.

I will continue the series!
Lucia
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for new captivating YA fantasy series, look no further. Here are five reasons that will make Truthwitch your next book-hungover-worthy read.

1. CHARACTERS

Truthwitch has very interesting set of main characters (four different POVs) and every single one of them provided something unique and memorable to make me fall in love with them. Safi, a Truthwitch, is funny and sarcastic, impulsive and unrestrained, fierce and passionate. She has all characteristics that I like to have in e
Cait • A Page with a View
3.5 stars. There was SO much hype for this book that it really affected how I viewed everything. Like if I had just gone into it without expecting the greatest YA fantasy novel yet, it might have been way better. Because it IS good.

Basic plot: Safi is a rare Truthwitch so everyone wants to use her for their own means, but she doesn't want to be some pawn. Iseult is a Threadwitch who can see colored strands of everyone's feelings/emotions, which turned out to be one of the coolest parts. They spe
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert: Kindle deal for a limited time 02May18 on Amazon for $2.99

You want to know what there is a distinct lack of in Fantasy in my opinion??? Strong female friendships. I’m not talking about sisters or girls who grew up together but real friendships where you feel so strongly for that other person that no one could ever come between that. Not some boy or culture or a coming war.

The beauty of Truthwitch for me was the relationship between Safi and Iseult. Each would die for the other witho
Kiki
Oct 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, Truthwitch. The truth is, you let me down.

Did you see that? 'The truth is'. Because she's a Truthwitch! So it's like a pun!

You know when you can just feel yourself being really annoying, and you can tell the people around you are getting sick of you, but you just cannot stop? I usually get like that when I'm extremely bored, and so I caught myself doing it a lot as I was reading Truthwitch: knowing that I need to finish this, but being bored out of my mind, and so compelled to scratch away
may ❀
FULL REVIEW POSTED

Can I just get a big HELL YES because this has been one of the only books I have genuinely enjoyed in a while and im v impressed by susan Dennard, you got me interested, lady, im coming back for more

description
(s)

- The world, while confusing initially, is really thought out and developed
- Culture, history, politics, magic, all really well done
- I really enjoyed how the plot was intricate and the story revolved around that
- There were multiple POVS (yes!!!) and they all became connected
Maria V. Snyder
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received the manuscript for this book from the editor - she was hoping I'd enjoy it enough to give it a blurb. I really liked the book - the beginning was a little hard for me to get into, mainly because the two protagonists do something I thought was foolish. However it was important to show how the two characters grow and change during the course of the story so it didn't prevent me from reading the rest of the book. And once past that, I was sucked into the story.

The plot is hard to describ
Joel (Throne of books)
HANDSDOWN MY FAVORITE BOOK OF 2016 SO FAR.
I am absolutely blown away by how much I LOVED Truthwitch.
This was one book that was VERY hyped up in the past few months, and I'll admit, I had seen many many mixed reviews and I was terrified that I would end up not enjoying this as much as I hoped. Fortunately, my expectations were EXCEEDED. HOLY HELL FLAMES, WAS THIS EPIC.

Truthwitch is a story about two characters, Safiya and Iseult. Safiya is a Truthwitch, she can discern truth from lie. Safiya
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)

OKAY OKAY. So first of all I know this is super hyped. It was the IT book at BEA. THE BOOKTERNET WAS ALL ABUZZ. I don't want to play into that hype because it's such a disservice to books a lot of the times. It's hard to live up to it. I went into it knowing that I loved Susan's first series but I was scared because I was building this up in my head SO MUCH.

But I just really need to tell you that I LOVED this book. Truly. It has the makings of an epic series and I was just SO engrossed
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire, #1)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands #1)
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1)
  • The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1)
  • Drift & Dagger (Salt & Storm, #2)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Eurona Duology, #1)
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Darkest Magic (Spirits and Thieves, #2)
  • The Shattered Court (The Four Arts, #1)
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
Susan Dennard has come a long way from small-town Georgia. With a masters degree in marine biology, she got to travel the world—six out of seven continents, to be exact (she’ll get to Asia one of these days!)—before she settled down as a full-time novelist and writing instructor.

She is the author of the New York Times bestselling Truthwitch and Windwitch as well as the Something Strange & Dead

The Witchlands (5 books)
  • Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2)
  • Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #4)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
“Sometimes justice was all about the small victories.” 106 likes
“It wasn’t freedom she wanted. It was belief in something—a prize big enough to run for and to fight for and to keep on reaching toward no matter what.” 59 likes