Start by marking “Wait for Signs: Twelve Longmire Stories” as Want to Read:
Wait for Signs: Twelve Longmire Stories

Wait for Signs: Twelve Longmire Stories

(Walt Longmire #10.1)

Twelve Longmire short stories available for the first time in a single volume—featuring an introduction by Lou Diamond Phillips of A&E’s Longmire

Ten years ago, Craig Johnson wrote his first short story, the Hillerman Award–winning “Old Indian Trick.” This was one of the earliest appearances of the sheriff who would go on to star in Johnson’s bestselling, award-winning
Published October 21st 2014 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Wait for Signs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wait for Signs

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
1,064 books — 1,822 voters
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalThe Seduction Expert by Saya Lopez Ortega
Best Books 2019
662 books — 828 voters

More lists with this book...

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Longmire fans
Shelves: read-2014
I was quite happy when NG approved me for reading this book since I’m a huge fan of Craig Johnson's Longmire series. They only thing that would have made me happier would have been a new book in the series instead of a book with short stories, many which I have already read. But nevertheless, I was happy!

I thought this book would only have one new story that I haven't read before, but it had a couple which was a fun surprise, and I took the opportunity to read some not all of the stories that I
Aisling
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, wow. Like another reviewer, I am not usually a fan of short stories but I love the Longmire books so I jumped at the chance to win/review this book. And now I might have to change my mind about short stories. These were just fantastic. Johnson is an even more skilled writer than I imagined. He can do in the space of a few pages what most authors need full books to do. I laughed (often) and cried (Thankstaking) and was transported to Absaroka County every time. All the favorites are there ( ...more
Thomas
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: us-rural-crime
This library book is a collection of 12 short stories that Craig Johnson started writing as a Christmas gift to his website followers. He realized that he had created a monster when people started asking Where is the Christmas story? one year after the first. All of his characters are in these stories:
Walt Longmire, Absaroka County Sheriff,
Henry Standing Bear, Walt's friend since high school
Walt's daughter Cady
Victoria Moretti, Absaroka County Under sheriff
Santiago "Sancho" Saizarbitoria, Bas
Amy
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We recently finished watching the entire series of Longmire. The books have been on my wishlist since we started watching the show. I haven't read any of the full-length ones yet; this is my first adventure with Walt on the page. Apparently, the storylines on the show are going to differ from those in the novels.

This book consists of 12 short stories that Craig Johnson wrote as Christmas gifts for his fans; they are collected here for the first time. Most of them take place during the holiday s
✨Susan✨
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, christmas, dog, funny
All the regulars are back in these twelve great stories that jump around in the series. Each one has the Longmire philosophy and his clever, charming way of going about things. There are funny parts to each but one stands out to me as the best; Walt, Bear and Vic find themselves in the woods with an outhouse dilemma. Totally Funny. Great feel good holiday shorts.
Scott
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
**As I continue my Longmire series read, full disclosure requires that I openly admit I am a devoted fan of the Longmire television show (on A/E and now Netflix) and have enjoyed reading the previous books in the Longmire book series that inspired that show even more. With that said, I am still doing my best to provide objective and an honest review. **

“Wait for Signs” is a hard copy collection of the Longmire short stories that Johnson has either published electronically and/or sent out each C
Wart Hill
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
[I received a free ARC of this book via NetGalley. This fact has no bearing on my review.]

You can read this and other reviews on Things I Find While Shelving

So, the trick with short story collections is, I don’t usually like all of them. That was not the case with Wait for Signs. Twelve Longmire short stories? I couldn’t resist requesting when I saw it on NetGalley. And I was not disappointed. Each story is good in its own right. They’re all funny and poignant and thought provoking in that way I
Tilia
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Author Craig Johnson has an enviable problem: heaps of fans. To show his gratitude for their support, he sent them all a free copy of his short story, "Old Indian Trick," as a Christmas present. The following November he was deluged with requests for another one. I tell you, it's like feeding stray cats.

So Johnson wrote another one, and another the year after that; and when he had accreted enough, he put them into this delightful little anthology of a dozen short stories, all featuring Walt Long
Suzy
If you are a fan of Johnson's Walt Longmire mysteries, I think you will love this short story collection. Several of the twelve stories take place around Christmas and New Year's which is why I selected this book as part of my 2015 holiday reading marathon. The things I enjoy about Johnson's writing are distilled into stories featuring both familiar and new characters and locations in northern Wyoming and eastern Montana. Each story transports the reader and packs a punch in a few pages. Recomme ...more
Karl
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of Longmire holiday stories. These stories were written one a yearly basis (one per year) for the folks who subscribed to Craig Johnson's news letter. All the stories were good to very good, though I will say, my favorite in this collection was a story called "Messenger"

Some of the stories fill in gaps between the books and add to fill in the history of Walt Longmire with many utilizing Longmire's daughter, friend Henry and his dog Dog. Most of the stories are orientated
John of Canada
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Contemporary western adventures of a sheriff in Wyoming.Great characters,sharp dialogue and one of the funniest lines ever:" He had done a two-spot in Deer Lodge where the prison Psychologist intimated that it was all a question of comparison but that if you sat a bag of groceries next to Travis,the groceries would get into Stanford before he would."I have been binge watching the Longmire tv series and I am now hooked on the books.
Angie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Love the Longmire TV show...this brought on my desire to try some of the books. This is my first attempt and it is a Collection of short stories. Very well written, entertaining. Definitely quality. I'll try a regular length one for sure now:)
Lesa
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Walt Longmire, Craig Johnson's sheriff from Absaroka County in Wyoming, made his first short story appearance in, "Old Indian Trick" about ten years ago. That story went on to win the Cowboys & Indians Tony Hillerman award. Johnson sent it in a Christmas newsletter that year, then learned the following year that subscribers were waiting for the next Walt Longmire Christmas story. What's a writer to do? He went on to write eleven more short stories, now released as Wait for Signs.

There are Ch
Bill Peschel
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There’s something to be said, as H.L. Mencken said, for competence in anything from adultery to zoology. It’s easy to appreciate brilliance and genius. But we have a hard time honoring works with more modest goals, such as entertaining the reader.

So it’s not meant to be snarky when I say that the dozen stories about Wyoming sheriff Walt Longmire in “Wait for Signs” are competent. This collection by Craig Johnson, beautifully designed and printed, make the perfect gift for his fans, even a welcom
LJ
First Sentence; First Story: It’s hard to argue with an old Indian or his tricks.

How nice to have collection of Johnson’s annual Christmas stories, all in one place. Plus, there is the added gift of a new story, and a wonderful, personal introduction by Lou Diamond Phillips, the actor who plays Henry Standing Bear in the Longmire television series, based on the series. Phillips introduction expresses so much of what I feel about Johnson’s writing, as well as the pleasure of meeting Craig and his
Sophia
I've been a fan of the TV show and have wanted to go back and read the books it is based on, but hadn't done it yet. This short story collection came up as an Audible.com deal and so I grabbed it. It was a delight from first to last. I found much more depth to already loved characters and a wry humor and human understanding behind each story. The narrator, George Guidall, was a great match.

This collection is introduced by Lou Diamond Phillips on the audio and then goes into a collection of stori
Lisa
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I listened to this compilation of short "Christmas" stories and loved it. Who would have guessed a sheriff in Wyoming could warm the hearts of so many readers...western mysteries, hmmmm?

I was grateful that I had to stop listening to one story and run into a meeting --otherwise I might have just started weeping in the car when Longmire is confused with Jesus by an older battered woman.

I'm going to have to listen to the whole series -- the narrator is fabulous and this would have been a perfectly
Miki
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
As a rule, I don't like short stories, there just isn't enough to get excited about. However, for this collection I am totally willing to suspend that rule. "Wait for Signs" is Walt and Henry at their best. Even the titles are works of literary art - for instance "Petunia, Bandit Queen of the Bighorns". How can you possibly NOT read something with a title like that??

My only complaint is that it ends too soon...which is mostly why I don't like short stories in the first place. Mr Thomas, please W
Sharon Huether
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book through Goodreads, First-reads. It takes an observant sheriff to see all the signs and interpret what their meanings might be. All of these stories could be part of the Longmire series, which I miss. The sheriff put the Bible salesman in his place. The so-called Jewish men were frauds. He stopped them from going any further. These were all good stories. I especially like Henry's Indian wisdom.
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
This collection of short stories portray the foundation of the Sheriff Walt Longmire from the television series and are set after the death of his wife. Many are set in the Christmas season. This is an excellent read for those who enjoy the modern western and remind the reader of the works of Louis L'Amour. Johnson has told some good tales here.
Mysteryfan
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I was given an ARC of this book. It's terrific. It's a collection of his Christmas stories over the years, plus a bonus story. Each story is a lovely little gem. The collection showcases the development of his characters from year to year.
Mike Schneider
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twelve stories involving Walt Longmire give us fans more insight into his character.
Jeanne
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Most of the stories were just average but "the Messenger" alone pushed this up to a four star.
Victoria
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I needed a Longmire fix.
These light-hearted short stories were a perfect holiday diversion. My favorites are the ones that have Walt and Henry Standing Bear together, but particularly "Messenger" and "Thankstaking." I can't get enough of their friendship.

I listened to the audio version by the esteemed George Guidall. Bravo.
Michelle
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A short story collection featuring sheriff Walt Longmire. Each story only took a few minutes to read, but I could picture the characters in their environment. We got to see a different side of Walt in these stories and I hope the author will continue to write more.
Jessica
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not normally one to read short stories, but I will take whatever I can get of the Absaroka bunch.
Kim
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! 11th short story still has me laughing with a clear visual!!
SraKathy
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is priceless! Each story is a gem with juicy little details about Walt’s life. Reading it is like going to a beloved family reunion or homecoming. Walt spends quality time with Cady, Henry, Dog and Vic.
Mitchel Smith
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
These 12 short stories were an absolute pleasure to read! What a great idea!
Kim Savage
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a hoot! 12 short stories with the central character being a modern day Wyoming sheriff who has a dog named Dog. Although the mysteries he solves are suspenseful, there is a lot of humor here. Well fleshed out characters. Great dialogue. A very fun read.

• Shots Fired: Stories from Joe Pickett Country
  • A Killing Winter  (Inspector Akyl Borubaev, #1)
  • Hard Rain
  • Grave Intent  (Jan Tommen Investigation #2)
  • The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation, #4)
  • The Black Stiletto: Black & White (The Black Stiletto #2)
  • Privileged to Kill (Bill Gastner Mystery, #5)
  • A Death in Duck (A Lindsay Harding Mystery, #2)
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
  • The Ronin's Mistress (Sano Ichiro, #15)
  • Anubis Nights (Jonathan Shade, #4)
  • Helsinki Blood (Inspector Kari Vaara, #4)
  • The Barque of Heaven (Stargate SG-1, #11)
  • The Forsaken (Quinn Colson, #4)
  • Village of the Ghost Bears (Nathan Active Mystery, #4)

Craig Johnson an American novelist, short story writer, and playwright. . He lives in Ucross, near Sheridan, Wyoming, population 25.

Johnson has written twelve novels featuring Sheriff Walt Longmire: The Cold Dish, Death Without Company, Kindness Goes Unpunished, Another Man's Moccasins, Junkyard Dogs, The Dark

Walt Longmire (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1)
  • Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2)
  • Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire, #3)
  • Another Man's Moccasins (Walt Longmire, #4)
  • The Dark Horse (Walt Longmire, #5)
  • Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6)
  • Hell Is Empty (Walt Longmire, #7)
  • As The Crow Flies (Walt Longmire, #8)
  • A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9)
  • Any Other Name (Walt Longmire, #10)
“That was the beauty of horse stealing, though—you could always ride your stolen property.” 3 likes
“Craig Johnson is not what you might expect . . . and yet he is everything you might expect. He is a man of letters and a man of his word. A laureate with a lariat, if you will. In short, Craig is the spring that feeds the very deep well that is Walt Longmire.” 2 likes