Start by marking “The Mistletoe Promise” as Want to Read:
The Mistletoe Promise

The Mistletoe Promise

(Mistletoe)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  11,538 ratings  ·  1,629 reviews
A love story for Christmas from the #1 bestselling author of The Christmas Box and The Walk.

Then, one November day, a stranger approaches Elise in the mall food court. Tho
Published November 18th 2014 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Mistletoe Promise, please sign up.
Anna I am sorry for those who were unable to finish this book--the best of the story came after that "terrible thing". I have heard of that "terrible thing…moreI am sorry for those who were unable to finish this book--the best of the story came after that "terrible thing". I have heard of that "terrible thing" which happens in this book happening in real life. It is a sad fact--as are many things in the world.

Christians celebrate Christ's birth at Christmas, and he came into this world to die for us sinners and that his death will redeem us from our sins. The love and hope brought to two sinners in Mistletoe Promise is a worthy Christmas story and is missed by those who do not read beyond that horrible event.(less)
Jennifer This is a standalone novel although it is part of a "mistletoe" collection

·  11,538 ratings  ·  1,629 reviews

Start your review of The Mistletoe Promise
Trina (Between Chapters)
Content warnings: Mentions of mental and physical abuse by a parent, and death of a child. Very brief microaggressions toward weight and mental illness (fat character has "sausage fingers," neat character makes an "I'm so OCD" joke.)
★★★★½
If you like stories that feature a domino effect, you might like the story of how I came across The Mistletoe Promise. If you don't just scroll down to the review. No hard feelings. I probably wouldn't read it either.

So...
My son and I are loyal followers of youtuber Rosanna Pansino's Nerdy Nummies and I got an alert that she was going to be filming a segment on Hallmark Channel's Home & Family. I never watch the show but I set my DVR to record anyway. That particular episode was themed with
Emer (A Little Haze)
I like Christmas. Yup. BIG Christmas fan. Favourite time of the year. The schmaltz, the twinkly lights, the tinsel, the endless food, the goodwill and peace on earth...yup for all that jazz you can sign me up!!!!

But this book????
Eh no. I did not sign up for this level of hokum.
My reaction to this book can best be described as looking like this:-

one star
Peggy
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that there are people who probably think there is no way something like this could ever happen. For someone who loves Cinderella stories, I say, "why not." Thank you Richard Paul Evans for giving me a story I couldn't put down from the moment I started reading it!
Kat
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, library-4
This was a holiday romance with a fake-dating premise. Nicholas and Elise work in the same building and eat lunch together in the same food court every day. He’s noticed her sitting alone and proposes a deal. They get through the holidays and the inevitable parties and get-togethers by pretending to be a couple so they don’t have to suffer through them alone, and on Christmas Eve, they go their separate ways. Elise agrees.

First, let me say that this was a well told story, with characters I conn
Hyacinth
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub, christmas
I am crying as I write this review. As a Christian, you should always strive to live in forgiveness and redemption...with that being said, it is NOT always easy. This book was a bittersweet read. I loved it. I hated parts of it, not because of the writing style, it was excellent but because of the painful content. This book was filled with "unexpecteds" for me. It was never predictable. So much I didn't see coming and yet I couldn't put it down! I have never heard of this author but now want to ...more
MissBecka
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MissBecka by: Kat
Update:
I watched the Hallmark movie.
Save for the title and the most basic of pieces from the plot I would not have known it was even related to the book.
If you look at the movie as a completely separate entity from the book it's pretty darn good.
Very fluffy...but it's Hallmark, so we all knew it would be. 😉

Original:
This was quite a bit more dark than I would have expected from a holiday romance story that was turned into a Hallmark movie.
It's filled with vibrant characters with well fleshed ou
Janet
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
I found this to be a very nice Christmas read. I have seen comments about something bad that happens and it's true but the core of the story exists because of it. It's a story of forgiveness, love and finding the right person. It felt real instead of a perfect romantic story. Maybe not for everyone but it worked for me.
Pye
I experienced several eye-rolling moments while reading this book, but I knew what I was getting into before I started. I wanted to read something light and fluffy to counterbalance the heavy mysteries/thrillers I've been reading. The story was predictable but it was good to give my mind a bit of a break. It was a good read for what it was meant to be.
Chan
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elise and Nicholas were a cute couple. Elise had a heartbreaking backstory and so did Nicholas. Richard Paul Evans created a great fun way of bringing two broken people together.

Great read for the holidays!
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
NOT MY CUP OF CHRISTMAS TEA

I absolutely love Christmas Romance movies - even the ones that are kind of bad still keep me entertained. However, this book just made my cringe in a way no Hallmark or Lifetime movies ever has...

👎 WHAT I DISLIKED 👎

Meet-cute: Yeah, their meeting was anything but cute. I have seen my fair share of awkward, stilted, improbable 'meet-cutes' but this one took the cringy cake!

Shallow: Maybe this is just me, but a relationship that is built upon lavish gift giving feels ver
Terri Wino
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2015
I'm torn about this book. First let me say that it takes a lot for a book to affect me emotionally, and this one had me tearing up several times.
On one hand, this is almost an over the top Cinderella story. Guy meets girl, they enter into a "contract," he lavishes her with gifts, and you know they're -- predictably -- going to fall for each other...and I would have been perfectly happy with a holiday tale like that.
But then this author goes and makes things complicated. You find out a terrible
Deanne Patterson
I read this book because of Chantel's recommendation. I am so glad I did ! Wow, this book left me feeling so many emotions. There was such an emotional part about half way through. I read it in one sitting, I just couldn't put it down ! This story is about redemption,renewal,hope and forgiveness ! I highly recommend it to everyone !
Anna
Quote: "I have punished myself for my mistake more times than I can remember. Each day I wake up in the court of conscience to be judged guilty and unworthy. In this sorry realm I am the judge, prosecutor, and jury, and, without defense I accept the verdict and the sentence, a lifetime of regret and guilt to be administered by myself."
Elise Dutton and Nicholas Dorr are going through the motions of daily life, but each, for their own reasons have sheltered their hearts from all that life has to o
JoAnne
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful heartwarming Christmas tale with underlying sadness that comes straight from the headlines of today. Two lost souls connect although their meeting was planned by one of them. Some twists to the story but the requisite happily ever after with nice closure thanks to the epilogue.
Can't wait until next year's story.
Staci
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
A sweet and unique Christmas story.
Gina *loves sunshine*
This year I decided I was going to intentionally read a Christmas story once winter hit. Problem is - snow hasn't really started flying and even though it's 2 days away from Thanksgiving, it still doesn't feel like the holidays are starting - I'm actually OK with that < I love sunshine > and warm anyway!!

So without snow and fireplace cozies I started this book and finished it in a few hours - I loved it and the audio was perfect! It was so sweet and so cozy in the simplest way. I was immediately
❤Marie Gentilcore
This was so very good! One of the best modern day Christmas stories I have read in a while. It starts with a platonic contract between two people to spend holiday events together. And of course they develop feelings for each other but the story is deeper than that. Elise and Nicholas are good together and I really liked their characters. I also liked the way the secret reveal was done. It was a very satisfying and heart warming book. Highly recommend.
Chantel
I have been looking for a cute Christmas story for the last couple of weeks. So when I found this book at the library and read the synopsis, I was so happy!

**FROM THE BOOK**

Kristina Allen Boulter
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly amazing and so powerful! This book was all about wanting to change the past and trying to move on from the mistakes that you have made but its also about forgiveness. This book had me happy and in tears all at the same time. This is a Christmas story but I love that it wasn't so over taken by the holiday but the holiday brought the characters together in a away that Elise never saw coming.

"I'm afraid of.. not flying. As long as you're in he air there's no problem, right? Its
Lesle
Again Richard Paul Evans is an amazing writer of love. This Christmas Promise is actually a contract between a lawyer and a travel agent that are struggling with the horrid losses both have experienced in their life and only each other knows what the other has gone through and can understand and forgive.
No matter how terrible the tragedy, an individual can overcome grief with true love and true companionship of another of similiar circumstances.
As always with Evan's books there is no negative
Linda
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I usually try and read a Christmas novel this time of year to help get myself into the spirit of Christmas. This book has been on my list for a while, but every year my library has a long waiting list for it. So, this year I got on the list early. The audio book is very well done. January LaVoy is the narrator and she does a wonderful job.

This was a very sweet, wholesome story that had some substance to it, which was a nice. It was a little cheesy in places and over-the-top in others, but holid
Loraine
SUMMARY: Elise Dutton dreads the arrival of another holiday season. Three years earlier, her husband cheated on her with her best friend, resulting in a bitter divorce that left her alone, broken, and distrustful.

Then, one November day, a stranger approaches Elise in the mall food court. Though she recognizes the man from her building, Elise has never formally met him. Tired of spending the holidays alone, the man offers her a proposition. For the next eight weeks—until the evening of December 2
Gail
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an AWESOME Heartwarming Christmas Story! A story of love, forgiveness and second chances. The book will make you cry so have a box of kleenex handy. The book has so many twists that will keep you reading trying to figure out what will happen next. A GREAT book for the Christmas season. A MUST READ!
Jary Welker
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful Richard Paul Evans book. I don't know where the inspiration comes from but I pray it doesn't stop. I love the message of redemption and new beginnings which is really what Christmas is all about...the new life that each of us can find...even redemption...though the Son of God, whose birth we celebrate at Christmas time.
Denise Jo
This is another wonderful Christmas story told in a way only Richard Paul Evans could do. It is a quick read and I did not want to put it down. Without giving anything away it's about two people that meet during the Christmas holidays and decide to sign a contract pretending to be a couple to help each other get through the holidays.
Patty (IheartYA)
I'm not one to read a Chriatmas theme, and I'm not big contemporary but I wanted to read a book that was turned into a Hallmark move. I love the movie. The book is definitely different and the movie leaves out a big (if not the most important) part. They really cheered it up. But I liked the book anyway. A quick, easy read.
Bonnie
I love love love this book so much! It was SO good!!! I want to read it again now! I went to the library and left with a stack of four more books by this author...
Christine
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Several years before our story starts Elise Dutton’s life was turned upside down. Tragedy struck in a most unexpected way, followed quickly by the breakdown of her marriage. Since then Elise has filled her days with her job and kept mostly to herself. She also became a creature of habit, not only eating her lunch in the same place every day but also having the same lunch. Faces in the food court became familiar. For several days in a row she noticed a man sitting at a table not far from her own ...more
Ms BookAholic
I'm very happy I was able to read The Mistletoe Promise this Christmas. I wanted to read it last year but I wasn't able to purchase it at the time and it was checked out at the library. I found it after Thanksgiving on sale so I definitely had to have it this Christmas! :)

I have to give The Mistletoe Promise five stars! For many reasons but I'll go over a few:

I absolutely loved that Richard Paul Evans could create such a masterpiece in 251 pages! I feel in love right away starting from page one

• Catching Christmas
  • Dashing Through the Snow
  • A Christmas by the Sea
  • Twelve Days of Christmas
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • A Season of Angels (Angels Everywhere, #1)
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • The Christmas Light (Christmas Hope, #7)
  • The Christmas Secret (Christmas Hope, #5)
  • Starry Night
  • The Christmas Star (Christmas Hope, #9)
  • Merry and Bright
  • The Christmas Note (Christmas Hope, #6)
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Joy Ride
  • The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope, #1)
  • The Nine Lives of Christmas
  • The Christmas Train
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more

Mistletoe (3 books)
  • The Mistletoe Inn
  • The Mistletoe Secret

News & Interviews

“People talk of life’s storms as if they are universal experiences. But they’re not. Some people hear thunder while others touch lightning.” 13 likes
“Often what we see clearest in others is what we most avoid seeing in ourselves.” 10 likes