Start by marking “The Mistletoe Promise” as Want to Read:
The Mistletoe Promise

The Mistletoe Promise

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  3,057 ratings  ·  601 reviews
A love story for Christmas from the #1 bestselling author of The Christmas Box and The Walk.

Elise Dutton dreads the arrival of another holiday season. Three years earlier, her husband cheated on her with her best friend, resulting in a bitter divorce that left her alone, broken, and distrustful.

Then, one November day, a stranger approaches Elise in the mall food court. Tho
Published November 18th 2014 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Mistletoe Promise, please sign up.

Patti I agree - I know the point you are talking about and I had a hard time getting past that - it totally took me "out" of the story. In my opinion it was…moreI agree - I know the point you are talking about and I had a hard time getting past that - it totally took me "out" of the story. In my opinion it was much to harsh an event for this type of book.
I finished the book - but that 'event' took my rating down from what may have been a 4 to a 2. I understand the author was trying to bring out "forgiveness" but... something like that is not what I am expecting in a "Christmas Read"(less)

Janet
I found this to be a very nice Christmas read. I have seen comments about something bad that happens and it's true but the core of the story exists because of it. It's a story of forgiveness, love and finding the right person. It felt real instead of a perfect romantic story. Maybe not for everyone but it worked for me.
Peggy
I know that there are people who probably think there is no way something like this could ever happen. For someone who loves Cinderella stories, I say, "why not." Thank you Richard Paul Evans for giving me a story I couldn't put down from the moment I started reading it!
Tempest Devyne
No spoilers other to say I was really enjoying this and it would probably have been a 4 stars for me, until a flashback of an event that meant I couldn't face reading any further, I'm sure things will end very happily and predictably but I couldn't get past the something that happens. I can cope with sad and tragedies, but this and how it was handled was too matter-of-fact and ruined the book for me. Shame, because as I say, I was really enjoying it.
JoAnne
Wonderful heartwarming Christmas tale with underlying sadness that comes straight from the headlines of today. Two lost souls connect although their meeting was planned by one of them. Some twists to the story but the requisite happily ever after with nice closure thanks to the epilogue.
Can't wait until next year's story.
Hyacinth
I am crying as I write this review. As a Christian, you should always strive to live in forgiveness and redemption...with that being said, it is NOT always easy. This book was a bittersweet read. I loved it. I hated parts of it, not because of the writing style, it was excellent but because of the painful content. This book was filled with "unexpecteds" for me. It was never predictable. So much I didn't see coming and yet I couldn't put it down! I have never heard of this author but now want to ...more
Krisitna Allen
This book was truly amazing and so powerful! This book was all about wanting to change the past and trying to move on from the mistakes that you have made but its also about forgiveness. This book had me happy and in tears all at the same time. This is a Christmas story but I love that it wasn't so over taken by the holiday but the holiday brought the characters together in a away that Elise never saw coming.

"I'm afraid of.. not flying. As long as you're in he air there's no problem, right? Its
Denise Jo
This is another wonderful Christmas story told in a way only Richard Paul Evans could do. It is a quick read and I did not want to put it down. Without giving anything away it's about two people that meet during the Christmas holidays and decide to sign a contract pretending to be a couple to help each other get through the holidays.
Christine
Several years before our story starts Elise Dutton’s life was turned upside down. Tragedy struck in a most unexpected way, followed quickly by the breakdown of her marriage. Since then Elise has filled her days with her job and kept mostly to herself. She also became a creature of habit, not only eating her lunch in the same place every day but also having the same lunch. Faces in the food court became familiar. For several days in a row she noticed a man sitting at a table not far from her own ...more
Jary Welker
Another wonderful Richard Paul Evans book. I don't know where the inspiration comes from but I pray it doesn't stop. I love the message of redemption and new beginnings which is really what Christmas is all about...the new life that each of us can find...even redemption...though the Son of God, whose birth we celebrate at Christmas time.
Beth McCraw
Wow, emotionally this was a hard one to get through at times, but I really am glad I read it. This is really heartwarming and encouraging and reminds you to never give up.
Stephanie (StephTheBookworm)
4.5/5

Richard Paul Evans' novels are generally formulaic and cheesy... but I absolutely love them and can't get enough! This is my 6th RPE book and it was just as good as all his others. As usual, the characters endure some kind of hardship to find hope.

In this story, we meet Elise Dutton, a broken woman with a secret past that eats at her and causes her pain and guilt. She is approached in the cafeteria by a stranger who works in her building, Nicholas, who essentially asks her if she would lik
Susan Hobbs
If you want a quick, light read, this will do, but don't expect much. I found the book formulaic, contrived and predictable.
Anastasia
I'm not usually one for romance novels but this one was recommended to me by a friend and I find I actually enjoyed it. A little sappy, a little fluffy, not too unrealistic, overall enjoyable.
Norma Polan
I thought it was one of the best books I ever read. All of Richard Paul Evans books are excellent.
Kim Territo
Cute story, perfect for the Christmas season!
Stephanie Mellon
Wonderful quick Christmas book. It was very sweet and romantic. The characters are very believable.
Lindsey Dober
I started this book at 9pm last night and couldn't put it down. I finished it this morning at 7:15am. I haven't read a feel-good book for awhile and where a lot of instances didn't seem real-life, I was captivated by the unconventional relationship between Nick and Elise. I'll admit, tears welled up on a handful of occasions. Can't wait until our next holiday group read.
Tammy
Love Richard Paul Evans stories, especially his CHRISTmas ones. He makes me thing of situations in a way I wouldn't normally. Love the message of forgiveness. Great holiday read.

Quote page 48: "I once read the secret to happiness is having something to do, something to look forward to and someone to love."

Quote page 93: "What I do know is that everyone makes mistakes. That's why forgiveness is so important. Unfortunately, so many of us are bad at it."

Quote page 157: two characters are talking a
Kathy Saunders
Elise Dutton dreads the arrival of another holiday season. Three years earlier, her husband cheated on her with her best friend, resulting in a bitter divorce that left her alone, broken and distrustful.
Then, one November day, a stranger approaches Elise in the mall food court. Though she recognizes the man from her office building, Elise has never formally met him. Tired of spending the holidays alone, the man offers her a proposition. For the next eight weeks-until the evening of December 24th
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This book has been sitting in my pile since it came out. I finally got ahead enough in my review reading that I could slip in an extra book. I love reading Richard Paul Evans books. They are always clean and I know that despite struggles, there will be a happy ending. This book was sweet and exactly what I was hoping for.
Jenn O'Brien
One of Richard Paul Evan’s best. Much like a delicious cup of hot cocoa, this story leaves you warm all the way down to your toes. The holiday setting is a nice backdrop, which allows readers to enjoy the festivities along with the two main characters in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

A great read that gives just the right tug at the heartstrings. Characters are well defined, you share in their joy as well as tragedy. I especially liked the elements of humor woven into the dialogue throughout
Carla
Richard Paul Evans has done it AGAIN! Another Amazing, Beautiful Holiday Treat that spreads the message of Hope, Forgiveness, Redemption, and Love!
Elise Dutton finds herself in a contract with Nicholas Derr over the holidays. They will essentially fill the lonely gap over the upcoming weeks, company parties, obligations, but this is business - nothing deeper than that. Elise hasn't allowed herself any happiness in years finds it a bit disconcerting, she also carries a painful secret that might b
Kristin
Could not put this book down! Amazing story and writing.
Linda
Elise Dutton is alone and lonely but trying to make the best of it after a disastrous marriage gone south and a tragedy that has overwhelmed her and made her feel unlovable and unwanted. Along comes Nicholas Derr, an attorney, who just needs a companion for the holidays to get through the many company celebrations that he must attend.

The Mistletoe Promise (I love the name) is a contract between Elise and Nicholas that allows them to have fun with no strings attached and it ends on Christmas Eve.
Jeanne
Great story of romance, love, promise, integrity, loyalty and strength! Always a great read! Finished this book in one day! I can't wait for more from Richard Paul Evans!!
Lori
I love the premise of this book. A man and a woman agree to act as a couple to get through the Christmas holiday season. Having a ready date stops their friends from trying to fix them up with someone or going to parties solo. The twist that made it even more special is that the man, Nicholas, wants to send Elise, the other half of the equation, a gift every day. (Oh, to be fabulously wealthy.) I loved that for Nicholas part of joy of the season is having someone to whom he could give gifts. I l ...more
Erika
Dec 27, 2014 Erika rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This was a quick and easy read. The story follows two people who, in their loneliness, decide to have a fake short-term relationship that is dictated by contract. It lasts about a month and a half and ends on Christmas. Both characters carry baggage from their pasts that is painful and they are afraid to truly share their histories with one another. The plot got a bit far-fetched, but I liked the characters enough that I didn't mind. I liked Elise and Nicholas was a perfect gentleman. Glad I got ...more
Monica
Richard Paul Evans never disappoints and his latest holiday book is not any different! After tragedy strikes Elise Dutton's life and she loses the most precious part of it other aspects of her world crumble within days of the accident! She has a horrid upbringing, a disappointing marriage, and a greater loss than anyone can imagine which causes her heart to break with what she thinks is irreparable damage, all of this leaves her feeling that she is not worth being loved. She lives day to day try ...more
Terri
I absolutely loved this book!! The premise of the book was completely different than anything I've read before and caught my attention immediately. Over the Christmas holiday, I read this book at night before going to sleep and found I had a difficult time of putting the book down so didn't get a whole lot of sleep until I finished it. I would highly recommend reading this book!!
Jennie
This is an easy small book to read and enjoy. It is a feel good book which takes place at Christmas. The characters are lovable and the book can be read in 2 days. I have read all of Richard Paul Evans' books and they are all memorable. You will find yourself cheering for Elise.
  • The Christmas Light
  • An Island Christmas
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
  • Mr. Miracle (Angelic Intervention, #10)
  • The Snow Angel
  • The Christmas Clock
  • Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir
  • The Christmas Pony
  • Christmas Treasures (Cape Light #12)
  • A Christmas Home
  • A Spy for Christmas
  • The Christmas Bouquet (Chesapeake Shores, #11)
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Her Colorado Man
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...
The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1) The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box Trilogy #1) The Walk (The Walk, #1) Rise of the Elgen (Michael Vey, #2) The Locket (The Locket Trilogy #1)

“Often what we see clearest in others is what we most avoid seeing in ourselves.” 5 likes
“People talk of life’s storms as if they are universal experiences. But they’re not. Some people hear thunder while others touch lightning.” 3 likes