Start by marking “Return to Exile (The Carthage Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Return to Exile (The Carthage Chronicles, #2)

Return to Exile (The Carthage Chronicles #2)

A twenty-first-century doctor travels back in time to third-century Carthage to rescue her husband, but the arrival of a deadly epidemic forces her to make an impossible choice in this fast-paced second novel in The Carthage Chronicles series.
Published January 6th 2015 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Return to Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Exile

Beth
Healer of Carthage, book one of the Carthage Chronicles, was a sure recipe for success – there was danger, intrigue, romance and great historical details. In Return to Exile, those details are back in all of their fascinating glory. Again I found myself engrossed by how Lisbeth takes her knowledge of modern medicine and molds it and improvises in Carthage. Everything is set up for a story that I would enjoy just as much as book one, however, I must admit that I didn’t enjoy this one nearly as mu ...more
Katie
Thanks to Negalley and publishers for providing an advanced copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

I don't know how to rate this book. I LOVED Healer of Carthage, it's one of my favorite reads of 2014. But I put this book down in frustration and vowed that I just wouldn't finish it. I dislike not finished books, especially when I loved the first book, so I picked it back up and finished it.

Like the previous book, the writing is great and the historical details seem realistic and
Laura Dawn Pol
Jan 01, 2015 Laura Dawn Pol rated it really liked it
This was another great read from Lynne in the Carthage Chronicles. I'm not really into any kind of medical issues, but I was so fascinated with the medical side of things in this one. Amazing what Lisbeth and her Mom did for people in third-century Carthage (well even in today Dallas too).

One thing I was surprised by concerning this novel was the emotional turmoil. I didn't expect some of the decisions that characters made and the effects of those decisions on others.

Maggie was by far one of my
Carole Jarvis
Mar 15, 2015 Carole Jarvis rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on The Power of Words: http://tinyurl.com/mk8prlr

Sometimes a story will resonate and even make me uncomfortable because of the way it challenges my faith - and that is exactly what The Carthage Chronicles series does. Although I'm not a fan of time travel or third-century Rome, these stories rise above genre and setting with their entertaining narrative, rich characterization, suspense, timeless romance, and spiritual impact. So glad I stepped beyond my reading "comfort zone" to discove
Mark
Feb 15, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
Time travel books are a rarity on the Christian market, so this book intrigued me when I got the chance to review it. I requested it, did enough research to realize I should read the first book in the series before I read this second book, so I ordered book one, read it, and loved it. I then went onto this book.

In the books, the main character, Dr. Lisbeth Hastings, goes back in time to the 3rd century, A.D. The author does a fantastic job of describing the scenes and setting for what it might
Amanda Geaney
Dec 10, 2014 Amanda Geaney rated it liked it
This past weekend I sat in my comfy chair and allowed Lynne Gentry to take me on a journey back in time. Return to Exile, the second book in her Chronicles of Carthage series, packs loads of drama with a sprinkling of adventure.

Gentry thoroughly conveys the plight of the church in Carthage, a sign of great research. She then infuses modern medicine into the plague riddled city in such a way that I was reminded of a time that I worked alongside Army corpsman. Just as the corpsman showed incredib
Bethany
Jan 06, 2015 Bethany rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
I really enjoyed reading the first book in The Carthage Chronicles, and was eager for the release of its sequel, Return to Exile. The idea of having a 21st century doctor go back in time to ancient Carthage was one that I thought had great potential, and was very unique. However, sadly I think that I enjoyed the first book in this series, Healer of Carthage a lot more than I enjoyed Return to Exile.

I've always been a fan of historical fiction that involves time travel, and always jump at the cha
Colleen B
Feb 23, 2015 Colleen B rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction is just fascinating sometimes. I love that Return to Exile had the fantasy aspect of Lisbeth (a modern day doctor/scientist) time traveling back to the first half of the 200s AD. I just find the blending of historical facts meshed together with fictional story. It always just leaves me with a truer than fiction feel… even with the unbelievable time travel aspect. I find myself looking for information about Cyprian to compare to the story. The true details that are woven into t ...more
Courtney Clark
Feb 11, 2015 Courtney Clark rated it it was amazing
I really loved this second book in the series. Here's some of my thoughts:
Lisbeth faces some unexpected surprises and twists when she returns to Carthage. The story is so fast-paced, you have moments to get used to her new reality before the adventure changes and she’s pulled deeper into commitments in the past.

Lynne’s writing style is so easy to read, almost a conversational tone. Although a good portion of the story takes place in ancient Carthage, I never felt distracted by that fact or by t
Ian
Aug 28, 2015 Ian rated it really liked it
So many middle novels in a trilogy can be a letdown after a big opening but Return to Exile does not fit into that mould. It builds on the foundations of the excellent Healer of Carthage and gives us more drama and enhanced characters. What appeals to me the most are the spiritual challenges that Gentry raises: the nature of sacrificial love, letting go of what we love, and exercising faith in the presence of extreme fear.

This episode in the trilogy mostly revolves around Lisbeth and Cyprian. Ev
Kellie Gilbert
Dec 12, 2014 Kellie Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Return to Exile, Lynne Gentry’s sweeping saga of lost dreams, epic struggles, sinister passions, and unrequited love—all playing out against the stunning backdrop of third century Rome—returns to enthrall readers of her earlier Healer of Carthage. With surprising twists readers won’t see coming, Gentry has created an inspiring story few will be able to put down until the final page. I am a huge fan of the Carthage Chronicles series, and of author Lynne Gentry. Can hardly wait for the final insta ...more
Anne
Sep 10, 2016 Anne rated it it was ok
I expected more excitement after reading the first book. But it took ages for things to move on and I lost interest and had to go back to it after a time. Not half as good as the first book and these books are more expensive than most so not sure I will buy the next one.
Staci
Jan 30, 2015 Staci rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Oh my goodness! I am so loving this series!!! What fun it is to visit Carthage in the 3rd Century and be a part of their lives.

I can hardly wait for the next book in the series to release in September!
Dec 29, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Another 5 star book from Lynne Gentry!
Return to Exile is the second book in Lynne Gentry’s The Carthage Chronicles. It continues the story of Lisbeth Hastings and Cyprian Thascius, six years after the first book left off. I loved the first book and had very high expectations for this one. I can happily say that it met them all!
I was quickly drawn into the story and couldn’t put it down! As I have come to expect, Lynne did an excellent job with the historical and medical details, as well as the d
Alyssa Schneyman
Well written, engaging and exciting to read! Grab this book and be ready to be transported in time!

I didn't read the first novel in this series and wish that I did. I feel there was character development and the building of relationships between characters that I missed in the first one . That didn't in any way stop me from reading this book and marveling at the beautiful writing and plot development.

I loved the relationship between Baek and Maggie, the two children. It was very fun to read the
Beth
Feb 17, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Litfuse Publicity for no charge in exchange for my honest review of this book. The opinions expressed here are my own.

Book Description:

How far would you go to save the ones you love?
Six years ago, impossible circumstances forced Dr. Lisbeth Hastings to leave behind the love of her life, not just in another country, but in another time. Her work as a top-notch epidemiologist and parenting her little girl helps alleviate the pain, but at night when her exhausted head hit
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
There are some disadvantages to reading series. I guess for me is that it is often so long between books, that you have to reread the first or hope that the author provides enough insight at the beginning of the second or third books to help you remember where you left off. Another is how they end. I personally hate cliff hanger endings, but as a writer myself, I know that is just how I would leave each book in the series. Kinda like the television or movie series we see. It makes you disappoint ...more
Jalynn Patterson
Feb 10, 2015 Jalynn Patterson rated it it was amazing
About the Book:
Dr. Lisbeth Hastings salvaged two things from her accidental trip to the third century: her mother's stethoscope and her child. Making a life for her daughter Maggie back in the present is difficult, but returning to ancient Carthage is impos
Mei
Nov 14, 2014 Mei rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, netgalley
I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review.

Grrrrr... Another cliffhanger!!! Noooooo!!!!!

I liked it, really! It was almost better than the first one.

It starts where the first book ended. Lisbeth is back in her own time. She finished her studies and work as a doctor in a hospital, facing death due to a virulent disease. She's now a mother of a girl, Maggie, who desperately want her father, who, as we know, is Cyprian.

Lisbeth is torn because she doesn't know how to explain what happen
Victor Gentile
Feb 17, 2015 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
Lynne Gentry in her new book, “Return To Exile” Book Two in The Carthage Chronicles series published by Howard Books continues the story of Dr. Lisbeth Hastings.

From the back cover: How far would you go to save the ones you love?

Sally
This is the second title in The Carthage Chronicles and is a continuation of the story begun in Healer of Carthage. I strongly recommend reading that book first or little in Return to Exile will make sense.

It’s been one year since Cyprian was exiled from the great city of Carthage by his enemy, Proconsul Aspasius Paternus. But a proconsul must also enforce edicts from Rome, and Emperor Valerian has demanded that Cyprian be allowed to return home. Another edict, however, may help Aspasius perman
Taylor
Feb 13, 2015 Taylor rated it really liked it
Return to Exile is the second installment to the Carthage Chronicles. This is the Outlander of Christian fiction that has all the time travel and romance elements that leave the readers happy. From the beautiful book cover to the rich writing, this book will leave you excited for the next one.
My Thoughts

So, I didn't read the first novel in this series and wish that I did. I feel there was charac
Amy Bradsher
Feb 16, 2015 Amy Bradsher rated it it was amazing
I've been a time travel nut for years, but I've never read one as unique and detailed as this! We usually make our time travelers visit the romantic times in history - the times of knights and castles or the Wild West with cowboys and ladies in prairie plaid, but Gentry has taken a whole new approach. She's taken romance to a new level by inserting it into a time travel story between the ultimate modern lady - a doctor - and a real historical figure in Cyprian, a Christian martyr.

The fact that
Amy Schmalbach
Mar 20, 2015 Amy Schmalbach rated it it was amazing
I have to say, I didn't like this book as much as its predecessor, but I don't think that has anything to do with the quality of it; rather, it has to do with the realism of it: I was discomfited that the story did not continue in the way I wanted/expected it to. Gentry truly deserves props for this: I was so invested in the story that I was affronted on behalf of our protagonist, Lisbeth, when things did not turn out the way they thought she would.

The huge twist about halfway through is both de
Rachel Marie {The NerdHerd Reads}
Nov 26, 2015 Rachel Marie {The NerdHerd Reads} rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This review first appears on

I am actually not sure whether I liked this more or less than the first book, but ultimately, I still enjoyed it. It took me awhile to get into it, but once it picked up, I was intrigued.

Lisbeth is back in the 21st century, but she cannot stop thinking about everything she left behind in the 3rd. So, with her daughter in tow, she makes it back only to find things are so much worse than she left it.

Although Lisbeth has grown and changed, there were still parts about
Lisa Johnson
Jan 01, 2015 Lisa Johnson rated it it was amazing
Title: Return to Exile (The Carthage Chronicles #2)
Author: Lynne Gentry
Pages: 345
Year: 2015
Publisher: Howard Books
This is an excellent second entry for this trilogy! The setting is approximately six years after book one in our time, but not nearly so much time has passed in ancient Carthage. However, enough time has passed for there to be some significant changes in the personal lives of those residing in Carthage.
Lisbeth’s daughter, Maggie, has been asking lots of questions about her daddy. Her
Kate (Too Read or Not Too Read)
4.5
I really enjoyed Healer of Carthage, it helped fill the void of another time traveling, historical romance I enjoy. I was thrilled that I didn't have to wait too awfully long to read the second book in the series, Return to Exile...and goodness! I liked this book even more then the first!

This story took me everywhere! The past, the present, Dallas, Texas, Tunisia, and Carthage. Then once the travel had ended, we weren't done yet. The twists and turns took this story even deeper into the chara
Lyndie Blevins
Jan 21, 2015 Lyndie Blevins rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Christian life, history of the early church, time travel
Recommended to Lyndie by: Lynne Gentry
received these as advertised and in a timely mannerI was attracted to this book because...
I have read the first book in The Carthage Chronicles, Healer of Carthage, and I wanted to know what happened to the characters. I am intrigued by the concept of time travel and how it fits into this story. After last year’s ebola crises, I’m drawn to similar events.
This book was about
After 6 years of making a home for her daughter, Maggie and father in present day Dallas, Texas, doors open to allow DR
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
I don't like time-travel storylines, really I don't. But last year I read Healer of Carthage and was completely drawn into the story. When Return to Exile came out I knew I had to read it just to find out what happened next.

For the first few chapters I was enthralled. Lisbeth is in Dallas during the current year. She is now a practicing epidemiologist and finds herself in the midst of a very serious outbreak. She's busy with her work and raising her daughter but she continues to think about thos
Deb Haggerty
Feb 04, 2015 Deb Haggerty rated it it was amazing
Deb’s Dozen: 12-Word Summary – Back to the future, love left in past. Can love triumph all?

To enable her daughter and son to escape the clutches of the evil proconsul, Aspasius, Lisbeth Hasting’s mother, Magdalena, attempts to send them all back to the future. However, soldiers seize Laurentius, so Magdalena forces Lisbeth to go by herself.

Lisbeth, pregnant with Cyprian’s daughter, survives the trip. She becomes a specialist in the area of merging natural and modern medicine. She also becomes an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Christian Fiction...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Return to Exile Buddy Read (1/26-2/27) 33 30 Feb 27, 2015 07:32AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 27, 2014 02:05PM
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation, #2)
  • The Crimson Cord: Rahab's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #1)
  • The Thief (The Living Water, #2)
  • Cloak of the Light (Wars of the Realm, #1)
  • As Love Blooms (The Gregory Sisters, #3)
  • Shadows of Ladenbrooke Manor
  • A Heart's Obsession (A Journey of the Heart, #2)
  • Hearts Made Whole (Beacons of Hope, #2)
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • A Sparrow in Terezin (Hidden Masterpiece #2)
  • Sincerely Yours
  • Rebel (The Brides of Alba #3)
  • The Queen's Handmaid
  • Playing the Part (A Class of Their Own, #3)
  • Price of Privilege (Price of Privilege, #3)
  • The Journey of Josephine Cain (American Tapestries)
  • Fallen From Babel
  • Claiming Mariah
This girl who grew up on a Kansas dairy farm never wanted to be a writer, but she has always been a storyteller. Her mother called it "Selling wind in a bag." Lynne started out writing plays and skits. Then in a moment of sheer insanity, she decided to take a stab at writing full-length novels. Reinventing Leona was her first and it is no longer in print. Healer of Carthage is her latest novel, re ...more
More about Lynne Gentry...

The Carthage Chronicles (3 books)
  • Healer of Carthage (The Carthage Chronicles, #1)
  • Valley of Decision (The Carthage Chronicles, #3)

“In the end, service changes not those who are served but those doing the serving.” 2 likes