Start by marking “Target America (Sniper Elite, #2)” as Want to Read:
Target America (Sniper Elite, #2)

Target America

(Sniper Elite #2)

From the coauthor of the #1 New York Times bestseller American Sniper comes a heart-pounding military thriller in which the fabled Special Ops unit is activated to stop a group of terrorists from launching “suitcase” nukes somewhere in America.

When Chechen terrorists manage to smuggle a Cold War–era Russian nuke across the Mexican-American border, the President is forced
Published November 25th 2014 by Pocket Books (first published June 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Target America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Target America

Start your review of Target America (Sniper Elite, #2)
Ed
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
US Navy Seal Gil Shannon and friends search for a suitcase nuke somewhere in the US, presumably ready to detonate by evil Chechen terrorists. Complicating the hunt is a duplicitous US President and a cowardly political adviser with conflicting agenda's in this rush of page turning action. I loved it!

Gil Shannon's character will make you forget Jack Reacher, Mitch Rapp, Jason Bourne, John Rain, Jack Ryan and all the other terrorist hunting good guys we read. This series is just
Glen
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Chechen terrorists smuggle a suitcase nuke into America. The Sniper Elite was disbanded after the last book for political reasons. Now the CIA has to get them back together, because they're the only ones that can stop the terrorists.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a hit team is after Gil Shannon's (Sniper Ace #1) family, as if he didn't have enough to worry about.

There's enough action to keep things going quickly, even though the end is a little cheesy, IMHO.
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay...I know down graded the rating from the first, but it happens. This is a good book...finally. I liked it and it's actually chock full of a certain realistic feel and a very realistic climax.

That said, the book takes forever to finish it's setup. I don't know how a book that opened with a nuc going off in a tunnel under the American/Mexican border could slow to the point I almost abandoned it, but this one did.

We open with a good plot set up. The characters are getting "lined up" so to
Donna
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I started this book 3 different times before I could actually stay with it. I enjoy a great hook at the beginning...it gives me a feel for the kind of ride I'm about to embark upon and gives me a little anticipation. This book didn't have that. It was kind of slow on the set up. But once it got there, I enjoyed it.

This is my first book by this author. I liked the details given about the characters and the situations. I never felt lost. Even though it dragged a bit, there were some great twists.
Corey
A great, kick-ass, and at the same time powerful work of military-fiction, and excellent follow-up to One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1) by Scott McEwen !

A group of Chechen Terrorists have managed to smuggle a Cold-War era Nuclear Weapon into the US across the Mexican-American Border, with their attempts to detonate it somewhere in the US on the anniversary of 9/11. With not a whole lot of options, the President has no choice but to reactivate the only unit capable of finding and stopping them, legendary Navy SEAL sniper Gil Shannon and his
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; DECEMBER 12, 2016
Narrator: Brian Hutchison

The Narration: I don't know if I would have enjoyed this book as much if I'd read it instead of listened to it. As it is, as an audiobook, Target America was excellent. I'm so glad Hutchison is narrating the other books and hope it stays that way. His accent is neutral and his voice suits an action/thriller appropriate to the age of the MC, Gil Shannon, who is in his early 40s (unlike Guidall, Hill, Ferrone et all who sound rather
John
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Imagine a really good Stephen Hunter book crossed with a so-so Tom Clancy book and you've got Target America.

Gil Shannon is back from his adventures in Afghanistan, and he's out of the military game. But not for long, because Chechen terrorists have teamed up with a branch of Al Qaeda to smuggle nuclear weapons into the US. When their first bomb goes off prematurely at the US-Mexico border, Gil is tasked with reassembling his old team to track down the second by any means necessary.

At the same
H00DEDRIOT
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing book that grabs you by the throat and doesn't let you go.
Kevin Findley
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, adventure
Brutal death and destruction at the hands of America's finest on the worst the world has to offer. What's not to love and binge read on a Saturday morning and afternoon?

Gil Shannon is an Operator's Operator. So good at what he does, one of the sub-plots is the bad guy's trying to take him out as revenge for a previous mission and to keep him from interfering in detonating Soviet Era nukes on US soil. Unfortunately for them, Gil has already been called in and their assassination attempts quickly
Jim Cerone The Perfect Host DJ MC
Started strong, halfway thru took a completely unbelievable left turn and sputtered to the end.
Wilma
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book begins with a nuclear suitcase bomb being smuggled into America through a tunnel under the border between Mexico and the U.S. The smugglers detonate the bomb in the tunnel when they find out they have been discovered. Most of the devastation was kept in the immediate area but the radiation spreads over much of New Mexico. Then the government learns there is a second bomb somewhere in the U.S. and the search is on. At this point retired Navy Seal sniper Gil Shannon and his team are ...more
Anirudh
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book that was fine for comfort reading. Pure unadulterated brain candy. A very comforting plot where you know that the good guys are going to win in the end and the only question is how long it will take and how it will go.

Positives:
a) An acknowledgement that war gets pretty ugly and that the rule books get tossed out of the window when situations are dangerous.
b) The heroes do get hurt, to a point at least.

Negatives:
a) The writing was a little cliched at times.
b) Characters were boring as
Sean Kelly
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book almost as much as McEwen's first effort. There were some slow points about 1/3 to 1/2 way in, but there is enough interesting action and intrigue to keep the reader turning pages. Admittedly, this is the escapist style of fiction I tend to enjoy so I'll probably read the next two books in the series. Without a military background, I have little frame of reference for the veracity or accuracy of the operational language and narration, but the plot is interesting enough, as it ...more
Patrick
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
Another enjoyable read by Scott McEwen. While the story does take a long time to get going, it's fast-paced and suspenseful throughout. The main character is basically Jason Bourne without the amnesia, but I enjoyed him nonetheless. There are parts of the story that tickle the ol' Murica bone for sure.
I still think the author could tone it down a bit with the name dropping. Do I need to know that one guy is carrying a Sig while another guy is carrying a Beretta? Do I care that the cop has a
Robert Lawrence
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was really excited to when I saw that Scott was writing this book. Having loved the first Gil Shannon book, I hoped that Scott could do a follow up that was just as good. He did! The storyline is believable, the characters are given the chance to be an integral part of the story and not just filler.
Thanks Scott for another great book! Can't wait for the next one.
Jack Stubblefield
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I hated putting this book down. Better than the first book in the series (which I really enjoyed). Authors really know these characters. Better action, better thrills, just BETTER. If you like action packed shoot'em ups get this book and series. Can't wait to read the next installments! Good stuff, Maynard!
Tim
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent terrorist novel featuring brave servicemen who put their lives on the line. Its a shame, but a reality that people must die to preserve our freedom and way of life. Thankfully, men and women do everyday. 8 of 10 stars
Jim A
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the first book of the series, I probably set my expectations a little bit too high. I didn't enjoy this novel as much as I enjoyed One Way Trip.

Ana Maria  Rivera
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Second books in a series can be difficult and tough sometimes. Your have your reader all hype up, one clicking into buy the next installment and then BAM either you make it and they love it, or they just plain use the quitter strip (a.k.a. a bookmark) and they take forever to finish reading it.
I was introduced to all the wonderful characters in this series on book #4 and I just had to know how it all had begun... so I went lookin for book #1 and loved it... then came one-click buying my way to
Rob Smith, Jr.
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-read, read-2019
A very good book that delves deep into the logistics, machinery and the politics of military actions. The story is solid as it is also a continuation of the first book in the series. The characters are also very good. There are a ton of characters here, the author duo manages to make almost every one distinctive and with background. The weakest part of the book are settings which can leave one lost. There are scenes in a Las Vegas hotel room that give little indication of the light show and 24 ...more
Larry
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This sequel begins right where the prior book left off. It follows a Chechen fighter released from Guantánamo Bay and is a mix of SEALs, terrorists, politics and spies – as well as a mythical (hopefully) nuclear 'suitcase bomb'. It's an OK story – typical of the genera. … though, I must admit to being uncomfortable reading that former SEALs – these HEROES – might steal from drug dealers and other very bad guys (which, of course, certainly deserve what they get).

A definitive takeaway from this
Pete
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Top notch. Fast paced with plenty of action, interesting characters and a strong story. The good guys are a group of misfit black op soldiers that the administration would just as soon disavow. They are led by Pope and Stratton who are willing to break the rules in a crisis situation. The author provides touches of humor along with the mayhem and perhaps best of all he creates strong female characters which you don't often find in this genre. If your a fan of Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, Stephen ...more
Brandon
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great counterterrorism novel. Gill and his fellow ST6Black team rush to prevent a second suitcase nuke from going off. Help and hinderances come from all quarters. The fight is intense, the intrigue and politicing is equally intense and rules are going out the window as the situation is unpresidented in US history. There's always more CT stories then anyone would ever read, but, this one (and series) is among the top tier.
Jessie Hulena
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Scott McEwen balances grittiness, realism with fantastic action that made this an absolutely enjoyable page-turner. The short chapters create a break-neck pacing that will have you finishing this book in one or two sittings.

My favourite part of the story was Marie's challenges, we now know that Gil & Marie are cut from the same cloth. I would love to see how this changes Marie in the long term, so hopefully that is picked upon in future novels.

Andrew
Fast-moving plot featuring Gil Shannon and a team of off-the-books special operators trying to locate a nuclear weapon that's set to be detonated by Chechen terrorists on American soil. A great, oft-violent thriller.
Stephanie Turner
Thought provoking

Reading this novel, knowing it could happen and probably will happen, scares the he'll out of me. I hope it this ever happens, that we have the people with the guts to overcome these terrorists.
SP
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this book and the series. It’s just a little too over the top violent for me. Characters receive debilitating wounds and injuries but manage to keep going. It is just a bit too unrealistic.
Ryan Frew
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Endless action: Check
Thrilling story: Check

Fantastic follow up to One Way Trip. These books have gripped me and I cant wait to get started on book 3!
Greg
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
realistic from the aspect that many of the characters don't make it through... hard to see who the series is about
Leland Dunn
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damn good
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
  • Full Assault Mode (Delta Force, #3)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • One Killer Force (Delta Force, #4)
  • The Game (Victor the Assassin, #3)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • Execute Authority (Delta Force #5)
  • Backlash (Scott Harvath, #19)
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin, #2)
  • Independence Day (Dewey Andreas, #5)
  • Assassin's Run (David Slaton, #5)
  • Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3)
  • Days of Rage (Pike Logan, #6)
  • Game of Snipers
  • Cannibal Reign
Scott McEwen is a trial attorney in San Diego, California. He grew up in the mountains of Eastern Oregon where he became an Eagle Scout; hiking, fishing, and hunting at every opportunity presented. He obtained his undergraduate degree in Oregon and thereafter studied and worked extensively in London, England. Scott works with and provides support for several military charitable organizations, ...more

Sniper Elite (4 books)
  • One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • The Sniper and the Wolf (Sniper Elite, #3)
  • Ghost Sniper (Sniper Elite #4)
“the ranch to the south.” 1 likes