Start by marking “If You Find This Letter: My Journey to Find Purpose Through Hundreds of Letters to Strangers” as Want to Read:

A heartwarming memoir of love and faith from Hannah Brencher, founder of The World Needs More Love Letters, who has dedicated her life to showing total strangers that they are not alone in the world.

Fresh out of college, Hannah Brencher moved to New York, expecting her life to look like a scene from Sex and the City. Instead, she found a city full of people who knew where
Published March 10th 2015 by Howard Books (first published January 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about If You Find This Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Find This Letter

Logan LeDuc
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm almost ashamed it took me nearly a month to finish this book. I learned early in the reading process that this book needs time to digest and savor. It's not to be rushed. Enjoy a chapter an evening and let that simmer on low in the back of your head for a while. Stir. Continue.

I fell in love with The World Needs More Love Letters movement in 2012. I was a senior in high school and I wrote to Hannah saying I wanted to be a part of it. But she was this goddess running this piece of magic that
Hannah Greendale
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good book with a huge caveat: The marketing for If You Find This Letter is highly misleading. The book purports to be about the author's quest to find her purpose in life by writing love letters to strangers, but it's first and foremost a personal memoir about the author floundering in her faith and trying to find God. Only a small portion of the book is dedicated to the letters, which are arguably the most intriguing element of the novel.

Though the writing is sometimes juvenile, there are mo
Dana
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok

This book is just not for me. I'm sure the author is a nice girl, but the purple prose was just way too distracting for me. I felt like the book was way longer than it needed to be just because of the lengthy
descriptions.

Like many others, I expected this book to feature more of the letters that made her famous enough to get a memoir published in the first place, and admittedly the lack of letters was a disappointment for me. The book has a great idea behind it, but the writing just didn't work.
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
"My mother would say: be small or be beautiful. Beautiful is loud footsteps and knowing the weight of those footsteps."

I first stumbled upon Hannah Brencher's website a few years ago. I thought it was a beautiful concept, the thought of writing love letters to strangers. I was so excited to be approved for the ARC from NetGalley. Now memoirs are kind of hit or miss with me. As fascinated as I am by the person, sometimes I can still find them a bit dry and long winded. I have never read a memoir
Kathryn
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am old enough to be the author's mother and I just could not relate to her. I just wanted to scream "pull up your big girl panties and get on with your life!". Consequently, I just had no desire to finish it...
Ashley Elliott
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This book. THIS. BOOK.

Definitely my favorite book of this year, definitely one of my favorite non-fiction books, and definitely one of my favorite books ever.

My friend gave this book to me on my twenty-first birthday, complete with notes and drawings by her on the inside. I flipped thro
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:

Girl searching for purpose and connection offers to hand write love letters to strangers and muses about life and God and general existential stuff.

I was really hoping that this book would be something akin to a cross between yarn-bombing in letter format and the worldwide art and connection project begun by one man, known as PostSecret. Unfortunately, it read more like the developmentally typical learn
Nassimoka
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
So beautiful. This book can change your life and break your heart at once. And it can make you want to "swim" in this life, be afraid and ok with that when you are not sure in yourself and keep moving on. Because somewhere there you will find the purpose.
Katy
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
So, this is one I probably should have carefully read the blurb for. At the end of last year I was really on a woman's’ memoir kick - Lena Dunham, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, etc. So when the publisher sent me this one to review, I was pretty excited to carry that ‘kick’ on in to 2015. But this book was just so obnoxious that I struggled to read the last quarter of the book. Hannah seems like a truly kind girl and her memoir (sort of) recounts how she came to start the website moreloveletters.com. Mo ...more
Douglas Humphries
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There aren't really words. Maybe I'll think of some good ones, once I've had time to process. This book is powerful, in the way books should be. It is deep and blue like the ocean, and there are so many good lines I could pick from it that I might as well quote the whole thing. This is a human heart, wrapped in paper and dyed the deepest red. There is so much beauty here it moves you beyond tears.
There is something to be said for simple love. The small, sometimes almost innocuous. This book is a
Tina
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think it's just about showing up. I think it's about choosing people when people are just hard to choose. I think it's about saying things we know we will regret if we don't say them sooner. Fighting hard for the people who make us feel like they've swept all the oxygen out of the room. I think it's about remembering to commit to the small things. And remembering that love still wins. No matter how much we try to say that something else matters more than it, love still wins.
Rachel
Oct 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Seriously?
There are a lot of good reviews on this book. I don't understand. I thought this was utter drivel.

I got the book as a gift and for that reason I have TRIED to get through it. I made it just past halfway through and I have nothing good to say about the book.

The author is probably a wonderful person. I'm assuming that the writing speaks to other young people who are feeling untethered and directionless, but there isn't anything that I find useful or even less than painful to read. The au
sophia .:*:☆
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, dnf, meh, overhyped
couldn't get through this one. it started off great but then she got super in over her head. i'm sure the author is a nice girl, but the way she described her life seemed so entitled. she didn't do a lot except rave about how poetic and artsy she is while also completely bashing this generation. like honey?? you're literally 25, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

"i am 25 years old but i harbor a soul that is old & thick"

after 272 pages, we get it. you think you're quirky and cute and "so dif
Kayla Hollatz
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book after it being highly recommended by many creatives in my online community. While it was less about the letters like I originally thought and more about Hannah's struggle with finding herself and her faith, I found it very relatable and comforting as I nodded along to many of her descriptions.

I thoroughly enjoyed the last section of the book and the only thing I wish there was more of was more background into the growth of More Love Letters, but hopefully that will be Hann
Abbie
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS GOLD! Anybody in their 20s or anyone who is having a crisis about what to do with the next phase of life will enjoy this heartwarming and well-written memoire. Hannah's words just leap off the page in the form of punch-you-in-the-gut truths, spicily-crafted metaphors, and strong relatable moments. I have dogeared so many pages it's crazy. :)
Alyssa
I wanted to like this book, really.
Ashley Elliott
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(see my other review; just reviewing a second edition bc i read it twice in 2016)
Ashley Stachura
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most beautifully written books I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I have been a fan of Hannah's blog for about two years and was ecstatic when I heard that she was writing her first novel. She doesn't disappoint! This book had me laughing one minute, crying the next and at the end of it, reflecting on my own life and what I want my legacy to be. If you decide to read one book this year, let this be it. Let her words fill you, you won't regret it.
Karis
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If You Find this Letter by Hannah Brencher is one of the most honest and nitty-gritty memoirs that I’ve ever delved into before. The author doesn’t hold back in pouring out her emotions, nor does she stop to wrap them up in a neat package. The openness of her witting style left me feeling as though I had just finished an all-out, completely honest conversation; fears and heartaches included. There were lots of tears, and at least one box of tissues was used up, but in the end what I heard, as h ...more
Olivia Alnes
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have followed Hannah's blog and life journey since she was living out these words. It's been quite the adventure and when I read this book, I instantly felt like I was a part of it all. Her words have walked me through a whole lot of life and growing up - this book was no exception. It's one I've cried over, underlined, dog-eared, and written notes to myself in. It's a book I've shared with many friends and a copy just to loan out to people.

This book is about coming of age, figuring yourself o
AmandaEmma
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I received an eARC from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This review was originally published on my blog; Little Miss Reader

I absolutely loved this one! I was a bit hesitant at first since it's nonfiction and a memoir and that's definitely out of my comfort zone but when I began reading I just knew I'd love it!

I thought it would be more about the letters, which was the part that intrigued me, but it's more about Hannah's journey - obviously. I didn't expect that I
Chelsea Pacheco
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a way, I feel like this book changed my perspective on life. I read it while going through grad school and it was such a breath of fresh air. The main character’s faith and strength were so encouraging and it was one of the few books that I made notes in while reading. Amazing read for anyone needing a little dose of passion to keep them going!
Kyrianna
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned
"Love Is All You Need"

First let me say that I didn't know anything about this book going into it. My mother was reading it and I got bored one morning and just decided to pick it up. I feel like I was meant to find this story.

Basically this is a true story about deciding one day to write a letter to someone in the hopes of letting them know that they were not alone. Even though she felt more alone than ever. And how through life's up's and down's something magical came from it! It's also a stor
Meaghan
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking and captivating. Brencher will restore any faith in humanity that you may have lost. Your heart will be warmed and stirred to make an impact after reading, guaranteed.
Rebekah Snyder
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I discovered Hannah Brencher back in 2012 when Wordpress linked me to a post containing "a single-stranded melody for the One who deserved a symphony." My life has not been the same since.

Seriously, Hannah's blog may be one of the best things that ever happened to me. The blog gets a five star review; the book only gets a four star, because I'm pretty sure most of the reason it appealed to me was because I was so excited to hear some of the back story to those words that have been singing to my
Hannah • So Obsessed With
I think 4.5 stars.

You know, I've debated a bit on this rating. IF YOU FIND THIS LETTER was nothing that I expected. I thought it would focus more on Hannah's website and her letter-writing campaign... and to an extent, it did. But it's really just Hannah sharing her story. She writes about her depression, feeling purposeless after college, and wanting to make a difference in the world. It's a memoir of the things that moved her, changed her, broke her, and pushed her on. At times, it felt a litt
Leanora
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book spoke to me, particularly the last section of this book... As a reminder we are not alone. I'll be honest, I feel like Miss Brencher was speaking directly to me at times, with quotes I wanted to plaster to my walls because she explains grief in a way I haven't been able to in the last 19 months. This memoir is about so much: finding yourself, leaps of faith, family, friendship, the written word, and above all Love.
Becca Altimier
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how to review this without sounding dramatic. I fell in love with Hannah in this book. Maybe it's because I'm a 20 something who works with young adults, but I fell in love with her passion, empathized with her confusion and insecurity, and was nourished by her overwhelming need to make a difference.

This is a book I'll keep near my desk for flipping through as I work on my own writing projects and I look forward to catching up with this old friend again when I do.
Emily
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is just so wonderfully inspiring and convicting, all in one. I think I'm joining this movement to write love letters to strangers (and loved ones, too, for that matter). What a beautiful form of ministry-- and it's in my love language, too.

If you're the type of soul that loves handwritten letters, internet friends, and deep conversations over cups of coffee and tea... read this memoir. It's lovely.
Vanessa
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
What an amazing book! It's so well written and emotional. I'm sure everyone can relate to her story somehow, no matter which generation they belong to. I'm also in my twenties and I have all the same feelings. I keep a large box of letters from my friends in my closet and that helps me a lot. I never thought about writing letters to strangers before, but now I see the beauty in this. Thank you for this book!
  • As Always, Jack: A Wartime Love Story
  • Called to Be Amish: My Journey from Head Majorette to the Old Order
  • Fallen: Out of the Sex Industry  Into the Arms of the Savior
  • Tables in the Wilderness: A Memoir of God Found, Lost, and Found Again
  • True Reagan: What Made Ronald Reagan Great and Why It Matters
  • Fields of Grace: Faith, Friendship, and the Day I Nearly Lost Everything
  • Seal of God
  • Packing Light: Thoughts on Living Life with Less Baggage
  • Good God, Lousy World, and Me: The Improbable Journey of a Human Rights Activist from Unbelief to Faith
  • Sober Mercies: How Love Caught Up with a Christian Drunk
  • Time to Write: More Than 100 Professional Writers Reveal How to Fit Writing Into Your Busy Life
  • Hope Unseen: The Story of the U.S. Army's First Blind Active-Duty Officer
  • Anchored: Finding Hope in the Unexpected
  • A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live
  • Getting Naked Later: A Guide for the Fully Clothed
  • When God Makes Lemonade: True Stories that Amaze & Encourage
  • Angel in Aisle 3: The True Story of a Mysterious Vagrant, a Convicted Bank Executive, and the Unlikely Friendship That Saved Both Their Lives
  • Simple Pleasures: Stories from My Life as an Amish Mother
“Some people are dotted lines and other people are destinations. Some people get you somewhere and some people are just a place to be, all in themselves. But you cannot force those dotted lines into destinations.” 32 likes
“Looking back, I wish that everyone could have that sort of moment: a moment where you realize that your hands are so impossibly small and this world is so impossibly big. And the two don’t seem to add up. Maybe recognizing the smallness of your own hands is just the very first step to changing anything at all.” 26 likes