Start by marking “Revival” as Want to Read:
Revival

Revival

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  41,197 ratings  ·  6,069 reviews
A dark and electrifying novel about addiction, fanaticism, and what might exist on the other side of life.

In a small New England town, over half a century ago, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. The men a
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published November 11th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published November 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Revival, please sign up.

Cathy I was walking in Boston and saw him on the street. I started walking with him for about 2 blocks and we had a good talk but not about his books but…moreI was walking in Boston and saw him on the street. I started walking with him for about 2 blocks and we had a good talk but not about his books but about the Red Sox. A friend asked me if a told him how much I liked his books and I said no I didn't. I figured he would know that since I know who he was.(less)

Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
Something happened.

Mother fuck..I'm gonna have nightmares from this shit.

The story begins with young Jamie outside playing war with some army soldiers his sister had gotten him for his birthday. A man's shadow falls across him and so begins what Jamie calls his "fifth business."

This book is somewhat of a coming of age story. The reader gets to grow up with Jamie and we are all involved with Reverend Charles Jacobs too..whether we want to be or not.
Jamie's story takes you through five decades of
Emily May
It's time for that approximately biannual event once again - Stephen King has released a new novel. And it's a good one.

I never know how to approach a review for a Stephen King book. I use a different tone when writing about different kind of novels - classics and literary fiction usually get one style of review, fantasy/paranormal and YA (genre fiction, basically) get another. But where does Mr King fit?

The "problem" with Stephen King is that he writes such engrossing, imaginative pageturners t
Edward Lorn
I'm lost. Destroyed. Utterly exhausted. I don't think a work of fiction has ever affected me so entirely. I was there. And I wish I hadn't been, yet I do not regret reading it.

Forget Cujo and Pet Sematary, or any of his other dark and dreary novels. Revival is Stephen King's bleakest work to date. Mainly because it gives you hope. So much hope. And then it rips that hope, still beating, from your chest.

The title of this novel is literal in several ways. It's a revival of old school King, the Ki
Kemper
From the synopsis on Stephen King’s website:

"This rich and disturbing novel spans five decades on its way to the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written."

That’s a bold statement that sets the bar very high for Revival. So does it clear it?

Almost. I think. If it doesn’t then it comes damn close which still makes this a pretty impressive achievement for Uncle Steve at this point in his long career.

Jamie Morton first meets Reverend Charles Jacobs when he’s a 6 year old kid in Maine
Dan Schwent
When Jamie Morton first encounters the Reverend Charles Daniel Jacobs, he is six years old. Jacobs cures his brother's muteness, only to leave town a broken man when his wife and son are killed. Jamie and the Rev will cross paths again and again as the Rev seeks to master what he calls the secret electricity, the energy that powers the universe...

I found this book to be an extremely mixed bag, which you'll read in a moment.

Revival follows the life of Jamie Morton, a rhythm guitarist, whose life
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

While I was reading this happened . . .

Commercial Photography

And now that I’m done and ready to write a review, I’m thinking “why the f*&^ do I do this to myself?!?!?!?” There’s no way I’ll be able to give this book the review it deserves – flagging the crap out of it is just like a salt-in-the-wound type of reminder of that fact. That leaves me with the question of “where to begin?” The most obvious place would be the beginning . . .

Jamie Mo
Nataliya
"People say that where there’s life, there’s hope, and I have no quarrel with that, but I also believe the reverse.
There is hope, therefore I live."
I am a true Stephen King collector, a terminal case of his Constant Reader. Year after year I get my hands on his stories, and almost with no exceptions my admiration for the man continues to grow. I love his disturbingly vivid imagination, the rare quality of his storytelling voice, his ability to suck you into a tale he weaves, and an uncanny tal
Trudi

What the hell do you read next after you finish a book like this!?

While not a full on frontal assault horror novel in the tradition of The Shining or Pet Sematary, Revival definitely ranks as one of the darkest, most unsettling books King has written in a long time. It's a slow burn that touches on a lot of themes we've come to expect from King in his golden years -- family, nostalgia, grief and loss. King turned 67 this year and he seems to have reached a point in his life where the "big quest
Maciek
The dust jacket of Revival promised a a contemporary Gothic novel in the "great American tradition of Frank Norris, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Edgar Allan Poe, which would span five decades and contain the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written. Stephen King himself said that the book is too scary", and that he doesn't want to think about it anymore, calling it "a nasty, dark piece of work.". This is his second book to be released this year, after the disappointing Mr. Mercedes. ...more
Alisi ☆ needs to stop starting new books ☆
Let me say something up front: King is my favorite author. I'm not a 'hater' by any stretch of the imagination. I've read all his books multiple times. This novel is just that bad. I realize I'm going to get a whole lot of hate for this review but I refuse to hold my tongue on this. This isn't 'classic King'. There is no 'slow burn'. This is just lazy, shitty writing with an overly hyped and dramatic ending that was stupid and cliche.

One of the things I loved about King (yes, past tense there) w
Mohammed Arabey
God, This cover is so exciting, yet deceiving..
It's not Horror, not fast thriller and not That creepy..
Mostly it's about coming of age, Nostalgia.. It's about Life..
Life; Movies & "Paperbacks", Sex & Drugs.. And TOO MUCH Rock & Roll..
It's about a Shadow with no light..getting darker and darker..that may make you lose faith there's any light..
And the only light you'll see here..is the Thunderous Lightnings.
Yeah,it's also about losing faith. Not just about life, but also about what's c
Ruth Turner

If someone had sat me down, told me they were going to read to me, and asked me to guess the author, the only reason I would have guessed correctly were the mentions of Castle Rock, Jerusalem’s Lot and Joyland. Otherwise I wouldn’t have had a clue.

There’s something missing in this dark story, and it’s a connection to the characters. It’s one thing I love about King, his ability to breathe life into the wonderful characters that people his books. But this one left me flat.

It’s not unusual for me
Will M.
"People always want a reason for the bad things in life. Sometimes there ain't one."

Almost everyone assured me that this is King's scariest, darkest, and creepiest novel to date. I don't completely disagree with the numerous acclaims, but I am considering this novel as heavily flawed. The plot was immersing, but only to a certain extent. I now understand why some people warned me that this novel was a bit dragging in the middle. A lot of uninteresting things did happen in the middle, and it ma
Stepheny
I’m not sure that I have ever felt as conflicted about my feelings on a book by Stephen King as I do about Revival. I loved it. I hated it. It was ok. It was brilliant. It was a letdown. It was weird. It was something.

I was hooked right from the start. If there is one thing King is top-notch at- it’s creating a rich atmosphere about youth growing up in the good ole days. I think that is why IT will remain my all-time favorite book. There is nothing better than King writing about the 1950’s. I al
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Now I'm convinced. They've cloned him.

Lyn
I’ve been married for 25 years with a 30 year mortgage and raised three boys, I’ve been to Iraq, taken and passed the bar exam and am in private practice.

I don’t scare easy.

This book was scary.

This was old school, spooky / creepy STEPHEN FREAKING KING wake you up in the middle of the night ‘cause Barlow is sneaking down the hallway scary.

Carrie walking Cujo down Shining Lane as Christine drives by.

Scary.

First of all, any book that begins with a quote from H.P. Lovecraft gets a quick and decisive
Mara
Having just mused about the wonder evoked by electricity through a couple centuries of science in my review for AC/DC: The Savage Tale of the First Standards War , I'll keep this review light on history lessons. However, there is one parallel that bears mentioning—the notion that electricity (in both fact and fiction) lies at the very core of what it means for something to be alive! As one of my favorite mad scientists once said:

Human Body Potato Clock

Mary Shelley was, at the very least, aware of (if not inspire
Adam Light
I'm just going to say this is the best King novel I have read in a long time.
I wrote two different reviews (long and thoughtful, both) and lost internet signal before saving either one.
Not happening again, folks.
Buy this and dive in to a genuine treat. King is at his best. It starts out as a coming of age tale told in first person. The narrator, Jaime first meets Charles Jacobs as a six-year old and then their lives intersect over the next fifty plus years. Their fates are seemingly interlocked.
Scott Sigler
While the spooky/gore factor is way down from old-school King, this one felt like curling up in a familiar, tattered old blanket you've had since you were a kid. A fascinating story that explores a lifelong (albeit intermittent) relationship between two men.

Think of the pseudoscience of FIRESTARTER or CARRIE mixed in with the slow-build magical implications of THE DARK HALF or IT, and you're in the right mental place to enjoy this one.

I pounded the audiobook during a move. Having King in my U-H
Will Byrnes
this is how we bring about our own damnation, you know—by ignoring the voice that begs us to stop. To stop while there’s still time.
There is a somewhat leisurely feel to Stephen King’s latest, Revival. Dramatic events are sprinkled throughout the narrative, but the story moves along at what seems a deliberate pace. I am reminded of Ted Williams’s advice for batters, “wait, wait, wait, then quick, quick, quick.” The final, high voltage scenes of Revival pay for the whole.

Our narrator, Jamie M
Bob Milne
I'm feeling very ambiguous about Revival. It's far too ambiguous in parts, and not nearly ambiguous enough in others. It lacks any sort of subtlety in some aspects, and is much too subtle in others. Overall, this is a solid tale from Stephen King, but the monstrous epic I was hoping for is left lurking in the darkness, just off the page.

The first act is absolutely stellar, with King doing what he does best. When it comes to the portrayal of childhood and coming of age, I'm not sure there's anybo
Becky
I'm not really sure how to review this book, to be honest. I had a few false starts, and then it took me quite a while to really get into the story. It wasn't until probably around 75% that I finally started to feel that connection to the story that I've always felt when reading King's books - but at least I DID feel it this time, unlike with Mr. Mercedes. (Part of me actually wonders if my hesitancy with Revival has something to do with how much I hated Mr. Mercedes. That one was such a mess, n ...more
Magdalena
For a while I actually thought that this would be the first book I would give five stars to in ages. But in the end it just got four stars. Why? Because of the ending. I just didn't like it very much. It was very depressing and for some reason it felt like a let down. All I could think was: "Is that all, have I been reading all day for that kind of ending?" I would rather have had a more ambiguous ending to the story. Instead of just the bleak ending. I need to read something cheerful after this ...more
Carol
I've been thinking about this book for a few days now and am still perplexed as to how to rate it. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but I did believe Revival would be scary....(not). It is, however, a very entertaining story about a young Reverend who loses (view spoiler) his faith in God resulting in a sinister personal agenda against both friends and foe leading to a bizarre and creepy ending. It's also about Jamie and his life ...more
Zoeytron
Have you ever thought of your life in terms of a screenplay? Who is the writer, fate or coincidence? Our path crosses the paths of others in life, sometimes in the very strangest places. Unsettling to think that you may be unwittingly linked with someone you would much prefer to avoid.

'Something happened.' Yes, indeed it did. The thought of null promises to take on a skewed meaning by the time you finish reading. There are other worlds than this, and we are allowed a brief and horrifying look at
Brandon
Nov 25, 2014 Brandon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks feeling let down by Mr. Mercedes.
"Once upon a time, I would have said we choose our paths at random: this happened, then that, hence the other. Now I know better.

There are forces."

After a less than stellar shot at crime fiction, King makes a triumphant return to his bread and butter: old school, balls-to-the-wall horror. In his new novel Revival, we follow Jamie, a burned-out rhythm guitarist, destined to be forever tied to Charlie Jacobs, a man he met when he was younger. Jacobs was a youth minister stationed in a small Maine
Kealan Burke
Far from my favorite King. While it was (typically with his work) well-told, I felt it was a novella length story drawn out to 400+ pages, and as such I found it a bit of a slog to get through. The core of the story is interesting and alive with possibilities, but the payoff felt a little cliched and (also typical of most King novels) hurried. Not sorry I read it, but it won't be one that lingers long. Always nice to see King flex his Lovecraftian muscles though.
Matthew
After reading the hype that was building up to Revival's publication, I was pretty stoked to read this. Who wouldn't be? It was stated to be "the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written"! Well, not exactly, for me at least but your mileage may vary.

Don't get me wrong, the book was fantastic. I just finished reading King's 'Salem's Lot a week ago and he has progressed tremendously as an author. Revival contains none of the bloated sentences and word filler that previous novels ha
Jason Parent
Something happened... Something... Something happened.

And that something was Stephen King jilting me out of close to $30. Just kidding you King freak-azoids!

Look, I am among the first to admit that King is in the running for the greatest horror writer of our time if not all time. That doesn't mean everything he poops out is golden.

But that isn't to say that Revival is bad either. It's not. I... liked it. I didn't love it. It was better than okay. I liked it.

For me, Revival is a 5 star novella st
Jason Pellegrini
What a great read to start of the year!! Couldn't put this down... Even during the 'slow parts'.

This novel is certainly a slow burn, as far as storytelling goes. I've seen some people even complain on here about getting so fat in the book, and not being able to explain what it is about. I think it's worth the trip though. You can't understand the characters without learning their rich history first. King is called a master storyteller, and this story proves exactly why... Like I said, you start
Flights of Fantasy: August 2015 - Horror: Revival by Stephen King 22 30 Aug 20, 2015 10:19AM
Which type of Stephen King fan are you? 18 148 Aug 16, 2015 09:21AM
Ending of the book 5 82 Jul 26, 2015 04:48PM
Sisterhood of the...: * July 2015 Horror Book of the Month - Revival by Stephen King 32 18 Jul 25, 2015 05:08AM
American actor killed in Ireland car crash? 3 61 Jul 21, 2015 10:16AM
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
  • Blaze
  • The Resort
  • A Head Full of Ghosts
  • Day Four (The Three #2)
  • The Border
  • Whom the Gods Would Destroy
  • Kin
  • Dream of the Serpent
  • Duel: Terror Stories
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie

“Home is where they want you to stay longer.” 61 likes
“People say that where there’s life, there’s hope, and I have no quarrel with that, but I also believe the reverse.
There is hope, therefore I live.”
43 likes