Start by marking “Revival” as Want to Read:
Revival

Revival

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  59,869 Ratings  ·  7,847 Reviews
A dark and electrifying novel about addiction, fanaticism, and what might exist on the other side of life.

In a small New England town, over half a century ago, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. The men a
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published November 11th 2014 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about Revival, please sign up.

Cathy I was walking in Boston and saw him on the street. I started walking with him for about 2 blocks and we had a good talk but not about his books but…moreI was walking in Boston and saw him on the street. I started walking with him for about 2 blocks and we had a good talk but not about his books but about the Red Sox. A friend asked me if a told him how much I liked his books and I said no I didn't. I figured he would know that since I know who he was.(less)
Matt K. It says in the summary it is one of the terrifying conclusions you've ever read...it wasnt kidding. I read right about where you are to the end and…moreIt says in the summary it is one of the terrifying conclusions you've ever read...it wasnt kidding. I read right about where you are to the end and didn't want to put it down for one second. It's incredible. You won't regret it. What I think is that King didn't really put too many crazy scenes in most of the story cause he wanted it all for the end.(less)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Something happened.

Mother fuck..I'm gonna have nightmares from this shit.

The story begins with young Jamie outside playing war with some army soldiers his sister had gotten him for his birthday. A man's shadow falls across him and so begins what Jamie calls his "fifth business."

This book is somewhat of a coming of age story. The reader gets to grow up with Jamie and we are all involved with Reverend Charles Jacobs too..whether we want to be or not.
Jamie's story takes you through five decades of
Edward Lorn
I'm lost. Destroyed. Utterly exhausted. I don't think a work of fiction has ever affected me so entirely. I was there. And I wish I hadn't been, yet I do not regret reading it.

Forget Cujo and Pet Sematary, or any of his other dark and dreary novels. Revival is Stephen King's bleakest work to date. Mainly because it gives you hope. So much hope. And then it rips that hope, still beating, from your chest.

The title of this novel is literal in several ways. It's a revival of old school King, the Ki
Emily May
It's time for that approximately biannual event once again - Stephen King has released a new novel. And it's a good one.

I never know how to approach a review for a Stephen King book. I use a different tone when writing about different kind of novels - classics and literary fiction usually get one style of review, fantasy/paranormal and YA (genre fiction, basically) get another. But where does Mr King fit?

The "problem" with Stephen King is that he writes such engrossing, imaginative pageturners t
Kemper
From the synopsis on Stephen King’s website:

"This rich and disturbing novel spans five decades on its way to the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written."

That’s a bold statement that sets the bar very high for Revival. So does it clear it?

Almost. I think. If it doesn’t then it comes damn close which still makes this a pretty impressive achievement for Uncle Steve at this point in his long career.

Jamie Morton first meets Reverend Charles Jacobs when he’s a 6 year old kid in Maine
Dan Schwent
Nov 16, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
When Jamie Morton first encounters the Reverend Charles Daniel Jacobs, he is six years old. Jacobs cures his brother's muteness, only to leave town a broken man when his wife and son are killed. Jamie and the Rev will cross paths again and again as the Rev seeks to master what he calls the secret electricity, the energy that powers the universe...

I found this book to be an extremely mixed bag, which you'll read in a moment.

Revival follows the life of Jamie Morton, a rhythm guitarist, whose life
Lyn
Feb 15, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been married for 25 years with a 30 year mortgage and raised three boys, I’ve been to Iraq, taken and passed the bar exam and am in private practice.

I don’t scare easy.

This book was scary.

This was old school, spooky / creepy STEPHEN FREAKING KING wake you up in the middle of the night ‘cause Barlow is sneaking down the hallway scary.

Carrie walking Cujo down Shining Lane as Christine drives by.

Scary.

First of all, any book that begins with a quote from H.P. Lovecraft gets a quick and decisive
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
Let me say something up front: King is my favorite author. I'm not a 'hater' by any stretch of the imagination. I've read all his books multiple times. This novel is just that bad. I realize I'm going to get a whole lot of hate for this review but I refuse to hold my tongue on this. This isn't 'classic King'. There is no 'slow burn'. This is just lazy, shitty writing with an overly hyped and dramatic ending that was stupid and cliche.

One of the things I loved about King (yes, past tense there) w
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

While I was reading this happened . . .

Commercial Photography

And now that I’m done and ready to write a review, I’m thinking “why the f*&^ do I do this to myself?!?!?!?” There’s no way I’ll be able to give this book the review it deserves – flagging the crap out of it is just like a salt-in-the-wound type of reminder of that fact. That leaves me with the question of “where to begin?” The most obvious place would be the beginning . . .

Jamie Mo
Nataliya
Jan 08, 2015 Nataliya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"People say that where there’s life, there’s hope, and I have no quarrel with that, but I also believe the reverse.
There is hope, therefore I live."
I am a true Stephen King collector, a terminal case of his Constant Reader. Year after year I get my hands on his stories, and almost with no exceptions my admiration for the man continues to grow. I love his disturbingly vivid imagination, the rare quality of his storytelling voice, his ability to suck you into a tale he weaves, and an uncanny tal
Mohammed Arabey
Aug 13, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

God, The cover is so attractive, yet deceiving..

It's not Horror, not fast thriller and not That creepy..

Mostly it's about coming of age, Nostalgia..It's about Life..

Life; Movies & "Paperbacks", Sex & Drugs..And TOO MUCH Rock & Roll..

It's about a Shadow with no light..getting darker and darker..that may make you lose faith there's any light..
And the only light you'll see here..is the Thunderous Lightnings.
Yeah,it's also about losing faith. Not just about life, but also about what's co
Trudi

What the hell do you read next after you finish a book like this!?

While not a full on frontal assault horror novel in the tradition of The Shining or Pet Sematary, Revival definitely ranks as one of the darkest, most unsettling books King has written in a long time. It's a slow burn that touches on a lot of themes we've come to expect from King in his golden years -- family, nostalgia, grief and loss. King turned 67 this year and he seems to have reached a point in his life where the "big quest
Maciek
The dust jacket of Revival promised a a contemporary Gothic novel in the "great American tradition of Frank Norris, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Edgar Allan Poe, which would span five decades and contain the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written. Stephen King himself said that the book is too scary", and that he doesn't want to think about it anymore, calling it "a nasty, dark piece of work.". This is his second book to be released this year, after the disappointing Mr. Mercedes. ...more
Ruth Turner

If someone had sat me down, told me they were going to read to me, and asked me to guess the author, the only reason I would have guessed correctly were the mentions of Castle Rock, Jerusalem’s Lot and Joyland. Otherwise I wouldn’t have had a clue.

There’s something missing in this dark story, and it’s a connection to the characters. It’s one thing I love about King, his ability to breathe life into the wonderful characters that people his books. But this one left me flat.

It’s not unusual for me
Will M.
Jul 15, 2015 Will M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, horror, 2015
"People always want a reason for the bad things in life. Sometimes there ain't one."

Almost everyone assured me that this is King's scariest, darkest, and creepiest novel to date. I don't completely disagree with the numerous acclaims, but I am considering this novel as heavily flawed. The plot was immersing, but only to a certain extent. I now understand why some people warned me that this novel was a bit dragging in the middle. A lot of uninteresting things did happen in the middle, and it ma
Stepheny
I’m not sure that I have ever felt as conflicted about my feelings on a book by Stephen King as I do about Revival. I loved it. I hated it. It was ok. It was brilliant. It was a letdown. It was weird. It was something.

I was hooked right from the start. If there is one thing King is top-notch at- it’s creating a rich atmosphere about youth growing up in the good ole days. I think that is why IT will remain my all-time favorite book. There is nothing better than King writing about the 1950’s. I al
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Now I'm convinced. They've cloned him.

Will Byrnes
Jan 01, 2015 Will Byrnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king
this is how we bring about our own damnation, you know—by ignoring the voice that begs us to stop. To stop while there’s still time.
There is a somewhat leisurely feel to Stephen King’s latest, Revival. Dramatic events are sprinkled throughout the narrative, but the story moves along at what seems a deliberate pace. I am reminded of Ted Williams’s advice for batters, “wait, wait, wait, then quick, quick, quick.” The final, high voltage scenes of Revival pay for the whole.

Our narrator, Jamie M
Reading Corner

This book is so underwhelming and over hyped.I've only read two other King books but after reading this,my opinion of the other two has completely gone up.I found most of Revival incredibly boring and tedious to get through.There's no real build up in this book like King has in his other books,the atmosphere never felt tense and there was no real suspense,until maybe the end.

I thought the story was really boring,until the end when everything adds up but even that ending couldn't save th
Magdalena
For a while, I actually thought that this would be the first book I would give five stars to in ages. But in the end, it just got four stars. Why? Because of the ending. I just didn't like it very much. It was very depressing and for some reason, it felt like a letdown. All I could think was: "Is that all, have I been reading all day for that kind of ending?" I would rather have had a more ambiguous ending to the story. Instead of just the bleak ending. I need to read something cheerful after th ...more
Ron
Mar 06, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the past few weeks, I’ve read a string of books that have not been wholly satisfying. I came away saying, “That was okay”. Of course, it’s a Stephen King novel that breaks that pattern…well almost. If I am being completely honest here on GR, I am a Constant Reader. He is easily my favorite author. That was locked up a long time ago. Therefore, forgive me if my review is slightly skewed in his favor. King fans understand.

Still, Revival falls somewhere in the middle of the King books of my pa
Adam Light
I'm just going to say this is the best King novel I have read in a long time.
I wrote two different reviews (long and thoughtful, both) and lost internet signal before saving either one.
Not happening again, folks.
Buy this and dive in to a genuine treat. King is at his best. It starts out as a coming of age tale told in first person. The narrator, Jaime first meets Charles Jacobs as a six-year old and then their lives intersect over the next fifty plus years. Their fates are seemingly interlocked.
Bob Milne
I'm feeling very ambiguous about Revival. It's far too ambiguous in parts, and not nearly ambiguous enough in others. It lacks any sort of subtlety in some aspects, and is much too subtle in others. Overall, this is a solid tale from Stephen King, but the monstrous epic I was hoping for is left lurking in the darkness, just off the page.

The first act is absolutely stellar, with King doing what he does best. When it comes to the portrayal of childhood and coming of age, I'm not sure there's anybo
Scott Sigler
Dec 22, 2014 Scott Sigler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the spooky/gore factor is way down from old-school King, this one felt like curling up in a familiar, tattered old blanket you've had since you were a kid. A fascinating story that explores a lifelong (albeit intermittent) relationship between two men.

Think of the pseudoscience of FIRESTARTER or CARRIE mixed in with the slow-build magical implications of THE DARK HALF or IT, and you're in the right mental place to enjoy this one.

I pounded the audiobook during a move. Having King in my U-H
Mara
Having just mused about the wonder evoked by electricity through a couple centuries of science in my review for AC/DC: The Savage Tale of the First Standards War , I'll keep this review light on history lessons. However, there is one parallel that bears mentioning—the notion that electricity (in both fact and fiction) lies at the very core of what it means for something to be alive! As one of my favorite mad scientists once said:

Human Body Potato Clock

Mary Shelley was, at the very least, aware of (if not inspire
Jadranka

Kada sam čula da za Kingov roman "Revival" (a koji je kod nas preveden kao "Buđenje" iz meni nedovoljno jasnih razloga), mnogi kritičari kažu da je povratak dobrog, starog Kinga, radovala sam se kao malo dete i jedva sam čekala da mi padne šaka. Međutim...
Kao prvo, odmah da istaknem sledeće: da je ovo pisao bilo ko drugi osim Kinga, verovatno bi dobio trojčicu. Ovako, s obzirom na Kingov neprevaziđeni stil pisanja, posebno kada je reč o karakterizaciji likova, dobija jednu klimavu 4 :)
Ono što mi
Kealan Burke
Far from my favorite King. While it was (typically with his work) well-told, I felt it was a novella length story drawn out to 400+ pages, and as such I found it a bit of a slog to get through. The core of the story is interesting and alive with possibilities, but the payoff felt a little cliched and (also typical of most King novels) hurried. Not sorry I read it, but it won't be one that lingers long. Always nice to see King flex his Lovecraftian muscles though.
Franco  Santos
There is hope, therefore I live.
Muy buen libro de King. Había leído que tenía uno de los inicios más tristes que a muchos lectores les tocó leer. Sí, realmente es muy triste, lúgubre, trágico y funesto. El comienzo que King le dio a esta obra me rompió el corazón.

description

Home is where they want you to stay longer.

Ya en la mitad de la novela las cosas se empiezan a poner un poco pesadas:
Becky
I'm not really sure how to review this book, to be honest. I had a few false starts, and then it took me quite a while to really get into the story. It wasn't until probably around 75% that I finally started to feel that connection to the story that I've always felt when reading King's books - but at least I DID feel it this time, unlike with Mr. Mercedes. (Part of me actually wonders if my hesitancy with Revival has something to do with how much I hated Mr. Mercedes. That one was such a mess, n ...more
Perry
Jul 03, 2016 Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ReVolting Revival
"My mind raced
And I thought what could I do (Thunder)
And I knew
There was no help, no help from you (Thunder)"
AC/DC, Thunderstruck, 1990

King's wizardry charges through Jamie Morton's ominous odyssey into the darkest forces of evil. The novel methodically intensifies a menace like the bass drum in the "2001 Space Odyssey" theme (from Strauss's Also sprach Zarathustra) as the Dickensian Jamie travels deeper and deeper into a supernatural storm with a defrocked Methodist minister (C
Kjell
4 stars!

So I have very positive things to say about this book but I also have some mixed feelings. Firstly, the first hundred pages had me hooked! King's writing, his ability to suck you in his story, is as amazing as ever. I actually had to cry after only sixty pages or so! Only King manages to do that to me.

After a while the story started to drag a bit for me. The middle of the book is a little slow and I was waiting for a plot twist to come. It took me a while to get through it, actually.

Th
Bloody Good Horror: Bkclb March '16: Revival 7 47 Apr 18, 2016 07:07PM
Stephen King Fans: Revival 233 601 Mar 18, 2016 09:20AM
Black Seas of Inf...: The First Few Chapters 4 8 Feb 08, 2016 07:51PM
Flights of Fantasy: August 2015 - Horror: Revival by Stephen King 24 42 Dec 28, 2015 11:52AM
Ending of the book 7 192 Dec 09, 2015 06:12AM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Is Well Off! 3 32 Nov 02, 2015 07:06PM
  • NOS4A2
  • No One Gets Out Alive
  • Will You Die for Me?
  • Dead Sea
  • Usher's Passing
  • The Ridge
  • Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)
  • The Croning
  • Floating Staircase
  • Duel: Terror Stories
  • A Head Full of Ghosts
  • Summer of Night
More about Stephen King...

“Home is where they want you to stay longer.” 98 likes
“People say that where there’s life, there’s hope, and I have no quarrel with that, but I also believe the reverse.
There is hope, therefore I live.”
68 likes