Start by marking “Jaco the Galactic Patrolman” as Want to Read:
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman

Akira Toriyama, manga legend and creator of Dragon Ball Z, is back with the quirky comedy Jaco the Galactic Patrolman! Retired scientist Omori lives alone on a deserted island while continuing his research into time-travel. His quiet life is interrupted when galactic patrolman Jaco crash-lands and decided to move in with him. Can Jaco get along with the old man long enough ...more
Published January 6th 2015 by VIZ Media LLC (first published April 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jaco the Galactic Patrolman

Start your review of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
Sam Quixote
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Dragon Ball is probably my favourite comic ever so I have a lot of time for its creator, Akira Toriyama. That said, the more I read of his non-Dragon Ball work - Dr. Slump, Sand Land, and now Jaco the Galactic Patrolman - the more I realise that he’s unfortunately a one-hit wonder!

Jaco is an alien policeman who crash-lands on Earth, meets an inventor and a pop star stand-in, and goes on a series of unfunny, uninteresting “adventures”. It’s 200 pages of pointless crappy manga.

Then Toriyama
Katherine Sigarán
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The perfect manga to read after a hopeless book.

Jaco is one of the most hilarious characters that I has the pleasure of reading, although his story is very simple and predictable, Toriyama always manages to endear you with his characters, Omori and Tights are also characters that win the reader's heart, it shows much the nostalgia of Toriyama here and it's appreciated much this, the small cameos that there is in the extra chapter are a direct blow to our heart for us fans of Dragon Ball.

El manga
Nicholas Driscoll
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Amusing and entertaining, with Toriyama’s familiar charming and beautiful art. Jaco kind of falls flat for me, but the silliness and wackiness of the world still appeals, and it’s over in one volume. Fun, slight, unchallenging summer read.
~Cyanide Latte~
Doc
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is a one shot story created by Akira Toriyama who is also known to have created works such as Dr. Slump and Dragonball so if you are familiar with these works you might have a good idea what you will be getting when picking up this book. Rated all ages this story is actually set in the Dragonball universe as we see references of him coming to earth because a projectile from a brutal alien planet was launched toward Earth and Jaco was sent to handle it. This projectile ...more
Emmy
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
An excellent piece! I love Akira Toriyama, so I would have read this eventually, but I'll admit I picked it up because Jaco played a small role in the newest Dragon Ball Z movie: Resurrection F, and I recognized him on the cover. This was a hilarious piece, very amusing to read, and one which I would highly recommend for DBZ fans. A great book! I wish Toriyama wrote more about Jaco, but it looks like this is a stand-alone title.

(view spoiler)
Aaron McGowan
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

The manga follows the story of a powerful Galactic Patrolman named Jaco who is stranded on Earth. Tights, one of the main protagonists along with Jaco and an old scientist named Omori get up to varied tasks while trying to fix Jacos ship. Characters from Toriyama’s other manga series make cameo appearances as well; such as a Martian (who is the Galactic King), a Namekian, a Tech-Tech alien, Merlusa from Kintoki, Daigoro Kurigashira, Goku, Grandpa Gohan, and the Brief family. Was an
Belart Wright
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I swear I'll make some time to properly review these books. This one had it's charm and I laughed a few times but now I realize the limits of Toriyama's style. A work can be too simple, especially when there's more potential to explore the world in greater detail. The greatest offender here was boredom. The flat characters nearly put me to sleep. But still, I loved the art and Jaco himself was a cornball hoot.
Holly Letson
This 1-volume manga has a nice DB/DBZ crossover aspect at the end, where we are treated to the story of Goku coming to Earth as a baby from Planet Vegeta. However, the normal story is fun as well. But, Tights Briefs is still my favorite character in this manga. Little Bulma was a delight as well.

Melissa Forget
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
If it wasn't framed as a prequel to Dragonball I probably would not have enjoyed it as much. While I love the animation style, the plot was kind of boring and lacked action. The ending and secret bonus chapter that ties Jaco in with Goku was awesome though!
Andres Halden
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Remarkably silly and slightly heartwarming, with a few little reveals to make it a must-buy for Dragon Ball fans.
Brandon
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, mango-comix, scifi
Mal Martin
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot. It didn't have any of that weird perviness that some of the Dragon Ball books have. It had a lot of likeable and dislikable characters. I would let anyone read this. Including someone under the age of 12/13 unlike Dragon Ball.

This book is basically a prequel to Dragon Ball and I think it sets it up really well. I love to imagine that if there was an intergalactic agency that at least a few of them are idiots. It's a hilarious adventure and I enjoy how the alien views
Willie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I grew up on Dragon Ball like, I think, most boys from my generation. Sadly after the Saiyan Saga I always felt it lost a lot of its heart and was replaced by transformations or special moves as plot points. Jaco requires no knowledge of the Dragon Ball universe to really enjoy, while simultaneously reintroducing a lot of said heart back into that universe. I loved this book and it got me to read some other pieces of Toriyama's work and realize that even outside of Goku and his adventures Akira ...more
Rosario
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The initial set up is interesting and the drawing is great, however the few funny moments can't save an empty, too basic and somehow silly / childish story. The worst bit, however, is that Toriyama can't seem to be able to do anything without mentioning Dragonball, so this feels like a start of something of its own (even if related to DB from the beginning) but ends up being just a prequel with some unexpected and dubious additions to the beginning of Dragonball.
Noe
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was loads of fun, particularly getting to know Bulma's older sister and seeing the Briefs since they are such a cool family, near the end of the book.

Omori is a really nice character and of course the stupidity of Jaco runs rampant throughout the entire volume. I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud at something and of course it HAD to be Toriyama-sensei's toilet humor. :)

P.S. That bonus story at the end? It was wonderful.
Deshawn Vasquez
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nice re-read. Harkens back to Toriyama's older work. Although Resurrection 'F" has kind of cheapened the ending, I liked that new readers in its initial release had no idea this took place in the Dragon Ball universe. It's a pleasant surprise. The Dragon Ball Minus bookend, though... I could do without.
Kate (Looking Glass Reads)
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, manga
Maybe it’s because I tend to lean towards long-running shonen series, but it isn’t very often I come across a standalone volume of manga. Jaco the Galactic Patrolman by Akira Toriyama is exactly that.

This manga is about a character that will probably be familiar to many fans of the Dragon Ball franchise – Jaco, an elite galactic patrolman who tries to keep peace and order across the galaxy. However, Jaco’s first appearance wasn’t in Dragon Ball, it was here. The story is uniquely his, filled to
Casey
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this little prequal to Dragonball. It was a fun story to follow, and I liked the tie end with Bulma. The extra story about Goku's mother Gine was a nice addition too. Now all Toriyama has to do is Vegeta's (whole) back story and the circle will be complete.
Zvonimir
Aug 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Boredom is the gravest sin of all.
Skerdi Kroi
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Some nice touch of beginings that you'll enjoy at the end!
Josh
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
As far as one volume Toriyama Akira, I like Cowa, Sandland and Kajika more. Interesting how all the elements come together, but nothing particularly special.
Ryan K Alford
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-crazy
If you can’t love a story as charming and oddball as Toriyama-sensei himself, then you’re definitely no Super Elite!
Wesley Rea
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious story. Not so sure how I feel about the rewriting of Bardock's story, but overall, an excellent one-shot volume and prequel to DragonBall.
James
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
would be a five star but fuck dragon ball minus
Mandy
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Silly but fun. Has prequel material to dragon ball.
Tooch
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Jaco is my boyfriend.
Maximilian Nightingale
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: japanese, comics
Unable to do serious reading since coming back from school, I have turned to comics about space aliens. A fun read! Especially for fans of Toriyama’s work.
Bob Logan
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. I wish I could option this for an animated feature.
Margarite
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel was very cute and funny and very easy to read!!!! Perfect for someone just getting into manga! :)

• ヴィジランテ -僕のヒーローアカデミア ILLEGALS- 1 [Vigilante: Boku no Hero Academia Illegals 1] (My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, #1)
  • ヴィジランテ -僕のヒーローアカデミア ILLEGALS- 3 [Vigilante: Boku no Hero Academia Illegals 3] (My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, #3)
  • ヴィジランテ -僕のヒーローアカデミア ILLEGALS- 2 [Vigilante: Boku no Hero Academia Illegals 2] (My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, #2)
  • メイドインアビス 1 [Meido In Abisu 1] (Made in Abyss, #1)
  • ワンパンマン 8 [Wanpanman 8] (Onepunch-Man, #8)
  • ワンパンマン 4 [Wanpanman 4] (Onepunch-Man, #4)
  • Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, (3 in 1)うずまき
  • ヴィジランテ -僕のヒーローアカデミア ILLEGALS- 4 [Vigilante: Boku no Hero Academia Illegals 4] (My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, #4)
  • モブサイコ100 1 (Mob Psycho 100, #1)
  • ダンジョン飯 3 [Dungeon Meshi 3] (Delicious in Dungeon, #3)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 2 (Yotsuba&! #2)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 03 (Yotsuba&! #3)
  • ヴィジランテ -僕のヒーローアカデミア ILLEGALS- 5 [Vigilante: Boku no Hero Academia Illegals 5] (My Hero Academia: Vigilantes, #5)
  • 約束のネバーランド 5 [Yakusoku no Neverland 5]
  • ゴールデンカムイ 1
  • One Piece, Volume 5: For Whom the Bell Tolls
  • The Lost Soul Companion: A Book of Comfort and Constructive Advice for Black Sheep, Square Pegs, Struggling Artists, and Other Free Spirits
  • Cosy: The British Art of Comfort
Akira Toriyama is a widely known and acclaimed Japanese manga artist known mostly for his creation of Dragon Ball in 1984. It is difficult to pin point the source of Toriyama's artwork inspiration. He admires Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy and was impressed by Walt Disney's One Hundred and One Dalmatians, which he remembers for the great art. Jackie Chan's early movies had a noticeable influence on ...more