Start by marking “The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow” as Want to Read:
The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow

The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow

(The Woods #1)

On October 16, 2013, 437 students, 52 teachers, and 24 additional staff from Bay Point Preparatory High School in suburban Milwaukee, WI vanished without a trace. Countless light years away, far outside the bounds of the charted universe, 513 people find themselves in the middle of an ancient, primordial wilderness. Where are they? Why are they there? The answers will prov ...more
Published September 23rd 2014 by BOOM! Studios (first published September 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Woods, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Devon Munn It depends there is some graphic violence, but it isn't too gory or gratuitous. There's little to no swearing. While there is some sexual…moreIt depends there is some graphic violence, but it isn't too gory or gratuitous. There's little to no swearing. While there is some sexual situations/innuendos, there is no nudity(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
There is so much going on with this story! I liked how it had several different settings and didn't stick to one place. I also loved how fast this story moved. Something is always happening. While I enjoyed this for the most part, I didn't find it to be the strongest setup for this series. I will definitely be continuing on with this series though, because I'm quite intrigued to see where it goes!
Calista
This was not what I was expecting at all. I'm pleasantly surprised. This is a great Sy-fy mystery.

A high school is transported to a whole to new planet and no one knows what's going on. Is this like an 'Aliens' thing where they are being hunted? is this a drama where one crazy guy takes over the school authoritarian style and people lose their freedom? Is this a big mystery and no one knows what is going on? Yes, this is all of those things.

There is a fresh voice, plenty of characters, plenty o
Chad
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
ReRead 2017
Lord of the Flies meets Lost with some of The Mist thrown in for good measure. A Wisconsin high school gets transported to an alien world. Alien creatures almost immediately kill a few students and the school starts breaking off into factions on what to do and who will take charge.

The Good: It's a great premise for a series. I look forward to seeing where this is headed.

The Bad: The artist could put more detail into the kids' faces. Sometimes they are just 2 dots and a line.

The Ugly:
Jan Philipzig
Apocalyptic mystery for teens. A little horror, a little fantasy, lots of angst: "The glowing stone is an arrow, left to show us the way. We have to follow it into the heart of the unknown. We must enter the woods..." Nothing special, but serves its purpose.
Licha
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
2.5 stars.

I wasn't wowed by this. There's lots of little problems with the structure of the book that keep popping up and once that happens, it's a little hard to enjoy the story for what it is.

Some kind of arrow unearths itself next to a high school. The students and faculty find themselves transported to what appears to be another planet. Six students decide to follow the arrow into the woods to see if they can discover the reason why they've been transported, while the rest of the students
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
What I liked:
- diverse characters (queer & POC)
- cute little alien monster babies
- a touch of gore
- creepy creatures

What I disliked:
- 99% of the storyline & pacing

It's not bad, it's just... I couldn't get into it at all and I have no desire to continue the series.
Katiria
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
Wow, Wow, just Wow this graphic novel was absolutely and utterly amazingly fantastic! I really loved and enjoyed it so much. I don't know what to write down on this review on how much I love this graphic novel, it totally has everything I love in books especially in graphic novels. Young Adult Check, Sci-Fy Check, Horror Check, and Fantasy Double Check. I can just go on and on and on and gush on how much I love The Woods, Vol. 1. But let me back up a minute here I am getting way ahead of myself. ...more
Shannon
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
“Oh hey, let’s try a new series. This one looks good ...”

20 pages in ...

*entire school gets transported to another world*

I can’t ... I can’t escape it.

2.5 rounded down

Not the best art, not the most original plot, and girls being assholes to each other for "reasons" means I'm mostly left unimpressed.
Gavin
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

James Tynion is apparently a protege of Scott Snyder, and he did write a very good Red Hood story for Zero Year, so I gave this a shot.
It's kinda like Lord of the Flies meets a Star Trek premise meets the Breakfast Club, but with less funny, and more darkness.

A Wisconsin High School finds itself transported to some otherworldly planet (or moon as one of the kids rightly points out) in the middle of a very dense set of Woods. We meet some of the personalities, and get to know their slot or niche
David Schaafsma
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep… " Frost tells us. But we already know what "woods" are: Mythical places for exploration, darkness, mystery, fear, joy, all of it. Good and bad things happen in them as we grow up; First sexual experiences, keggers, getting lost. Mosquito bites, sure. But scary things jump out of the dark, it's the unknown, and then everything changes. In Into The Woods, Sondheim shows us that the woods are the place of myth, of fantasy, horror. But also a place of discovery, ...more
Kristina Horner
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Picked this comic up at Emerald City Comic Con because it sounded interesting and I ended up finishing it in one sitting - almost as soon as I got home.

While the high school side is a little contrived (high school tropes in full swing, a little unbelievable that all the other staff would let this crazy gym teacher take over with such extreme measures so quickly) the other half of the book with the students exploring the woods was much more interesting. I found this first Volume to be equal part
ashley (saidthestory)
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Probably closer to 4.5.
I am realllllly liking this so far!
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Well, I'm still pretty jet-lagged. Fell asleep at 8:30 PM woke up at 1:30 AM and can't fall back asleep. I decided to read a few comics while I was wide awake and The Woods was one that I had meant to read for a little while now.

I didn't do a lot of research before picking this one up and I'm glad I didn't. I honestly thought it just took place in a normal everyday woods. Nope, this shit got interesting real quick. Somehow, a high school full of students and faculty gets transported to another p
'kris Pung
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This wasn’t too bad albeit a bit watered down for a YA audience for my normal taste.
Diana Ashkanani
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5
This was fun and fast-paced. The colors were bright and pretty too! It's just nothing special. I would continue reading it if someone would lend me their copies though! Not bad.
James DeSantis
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This was interesting.

I wanted to like it more. I think maybe it's made for teenagers (which I can get behind, love Nova and Ms Marvel is fun) but I just couldn't get sucked in to this one for some odd reason. Maybe didn't love any character, or the pacing felt odd at times, or a bit cliche and easy to see coming moments.

On the flipside the artwork is unique and quite good. I also liked some of the character's action and a surprise here and there. The atmosphere is unique and different and I ha
Jes Reads
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
While perusing the shelves at my library recently I discovered the first Volume of The Woods. I have decided that this will be a method I use from now on when trying to discover new comics because I am so pleasantly surprised by how much I adored this comic.

The Woods follows a prep school of about 500 students and staff in Wisconsin that are transported to an alien planet, building and all. This is definitely a more mature comic with instances of female assault, death, language, and gore. But th
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Very enjoyable! A high school gets transported to some alien moon and, well, chaos ensues. Five teens head out to try to solve the mystery of why they are there while the rest fight to exert control.

This is the type of story I love; adventure/journey/travel/survival stories. It brings out the best - and worst - in people.
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {merry wanderer of the night}
On an ordinary Monday, things for the students and faculty of Bay Point Preparatory High School in Milwaukee are about to get very extraordinary.

"What the hell was that?"
"Was that some kind of explosion?"
"What... What is that??"

'That' is the school being suddenly, unexplainably transported to another planet-
"Moon."
"What?"
"Um... It's a moon, isn't it? We're orbiting a gas giant. I'm pretty sure this is a moon. Maybe."

Fine.
'That', is the school being suddenly, unexplainably transported to an uncha
Brett
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Not sure how I feel at this point. While the overall concept is quite original, many of the characters feel recycled and the dialogue leaves me feeling rather "meh" about their relationships. The ending was well-timed though, and I am going to give Vol. 2 a chance.
Pamela
May 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
My neck hurts a lot today, and I'm not sure why. This may add to my cranky apathy about reviewing. Right now I wish I could just go, "Ehhhhhhhhhhhh" and be done with it. But I suppose I should justify my "Ehhhhhhhhhh" feelings.

I am rather curious as to why Tynion specified that the school that gets woo-woo transported through space and time is in Milwaukee. I think he was going for a "small-town high school feel" and someone said, "Hey, set it in Wisconsin! They have cows!" and Tynion said, "Uh,
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)

This was a fun, quick, easy read. Only 4 issues long with a fast paced story that just kind of whips you along.

There's not a whole lot of rocket science going on in this one. You kind of just need to suspend your disbelief and go with the flow. If you are capable of that, then this can make for a pretty enjoyable read.

Basically, a high school gets teleported to another planet or a different dimension, or something? It's not really clear (yet) the why, where, or how.

And for now, it doesn't really
Sooraya Evans
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The Woods...
Currently on a horror binge, I grabbed this randomly hoping it to be something along that line.
Not what I was expecting, though. It's more weird than scary.
Nevertheless, still entertaining.
I don't know why, but the premise reminded me of that Predator movie reboot, where folks are kidnapped, taken to a strange planet and set loose for sports. Maybe that's the whole idea here? Maybe. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong :)
Political restructuring, bullies taking charge, etc. At the sign of the
Callie Rose Tyler
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A high school gets picked up out of Wisconsin and transported to somewhere...the distant future? Another solar system? A parallel universe? With Mayans? Vikings? I'm not really sure, but there are WOODS, and strange deadly alien? creatures.

Quickly this turns into two separate story lines. The bulk of the school becoming Lord of the Flies, with evil gym teachers and jock henchmen. The focus switches back and forth between the school power struggle and what is, in my opinion, the more interesting
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
I honestly don’t know how I feel about this graphic novel. I can’t say I liked it much but the art was intriguing. It was creepy and I had no idea what was going on. Also the teachers were weird as fuck and abusive which made my enjoyment sour.

I am curious about the characters and against my better judgement I want to find out what happens. I’ll probably continue on and see what volume two is like 🤔
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
New favourite comic alert!! This was like if The 100 took place in the Upside Down and it was all set on an Alien Moon. Think Lumberjanes but A LOT darker. I loved this so much. The art was stunning and I love the characters. I can't recommend this enough and I can't wait to see what happens in volume 2!!!
L. McCoy
I tried friends, I tried.
So those who follow my reviews know that I’m trying to give various authors I had a one star first experience with but keep hearing “they’re such great authors” another try. Well I hated that shitty attempt at a Detective Comics run that James Tynion IV did but he was one of those authors and this looked like it had potential which it did... but that potential was wasted.

What’s it about?
An entire school full of people suddenly disappears from Earth and ends up on an alie
Michele
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
James Tynion IV (Batman Eternal) spins a science-fiction story about an entire high school – teachers, students, building – that is suddenly transported to a wilderness location on a moon in some other universe. Before the group can even get oriented to their new surroundings, they are attacked by strange creatures and there are casualties. The 500+ individuals struggle to establish order but that effort is hampered by various groups’ efforts to seize power. In addition, a few select students ar ...more
Kyle Berk
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Alright I really liked this. Like way more then I was expecting to. I don't want to come off as sounding mean cause I don't mean it that way. I mean it in that I'd never heard of the comic and I knew the author because he's worked on a bunch of Batman stuff from back issues to helming Detective Comics for a while.

So going in I knew almost nothing and the premise told me it was another "they disappeared story" but this time we follow them instead of those who stayed.

And it's pretty great. It's sh
Christaaay
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A high school is transported to an alien world. A mysterious wood surrounds the school and quickly begins expelling deadly creatures...

ya sf/horror graphic novel

Extremely intriguing beginning- the artwork suggests an exciting amount of worldbulding in store! It appears that humans of all races and historical periods may have been transported to the planet; and the alien life forms are excitingly creepy. My least fave part is how the plot set up factions between the transportees (e.g. teachers vs

• Meteor Men
  • Divinity
  • Letter 44, Volume 1: Escape Velocity
  • Bravest Warriors Vol. 2
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy
  • The Sword of Mali Mani (Bird Boy, #1)
Prior to his first professional work, Tynion was a student of Scott Snyder's at Sarah Lawrence College. A few years later, he worked as for Vertigo as Fables editor Shelly Bond's intern. In late 2011, with DC deciding to give Batman (written by Snyder) a back up feature, Tynion was brought in by request of Snyder to script the back ups he had plotted. Tynion would later do the same with the Batman ...more

The Woods (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm