Start by marking “Zen Pencils: Cartoon Quotes from Inspirational Folks” as Want to Read:
Zen Pencils: Cartoon Quotes from Inspirational Folks

Zen Pencils: Cartoon Quotes from Inspirational Folks

(Zen Pencils #1)

Zen Pencils is an exciting and unique new comic form that takes inspirational and famous quotations and adapts them into graphic stories. From icons like Confucius, Marie Curie, and Henry David Thoreau, to Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Calvin Coolidge, to contemporary notables like Ira Glass, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Neil Gaiman---their words are turned into sometimes ...more
Published November 11th 2014 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published November 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Pencils, please sign up.
Lynne At Barnes and Noble (I usually go to my local independent but happened to be in the shopping center where BN was and gave in to convenience).

Start your review of Zen Pencils: Cartoon Quotes from Inspirational Folks
Undrakh
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is exactly what I was looking for. Words of inspiration and wisdom along with amazing cartoons by Gavin Aung Than. My younger brother loves this book and is now trying to really understand every quote in it (I'm so glad, thinking normally how difficult it's to make him read in English.)
Will buy paperback version at the first chance.
Sarba Roy
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Has there been a book in your life that has made you laugh uncontrollably, smile sheepishly and cry silently?
Has there been a book which had made wonder in amazement and left you deeply inspired?
Do you like getting goosebumps while reading an interesting comic strip?

This book is a big Yes to all the above queries ! It is superb, fantastic and fabulous. Go grab a copy, read it, gift it and spread the word.

P.S. Turn to the last page for a wonderful surprise :)
Carol Flores
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[ Re-read in 2020. ]

Have you experienced that magical moment when you find a book that has everything you ask for and then it gives you so much more? Well, this graphic novel was exactly what I needed.

I recently read Creative Struggle: Illustrated advice from Masters of Creativity so I was familiar with this artist work, and let me tell you, I’m in love with everything he does.

Parthiban Sekar
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have always been an ardent follower of Zen Pencils comics. This cute, little, colored comic book is exactly what it claims that it is... "Inspirational" . Love the whole concept of cartoonic interpretation of inspiration quotes/poems from the greatest writers like Thoreau, London, William Ernest Henley, etc... and some of contemporary writers like Marianne Williamson, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Neil Gaiman, etc... I have no clue How Henry Rollins came here. But, his quote/poem is refreshingly new ...more
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
OMG and The Spaghetti Monster! This is really good!

description

Deep, sad, inspiring, beautifully drawn, meaningful, funny - want more. Where is part 2? GIVE ME PART 2!!!
Maria
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've ever pre-ordered. So worth it. I read the whole thing in one sitting, although it is definitely one of those books you can just dip in and out of, I would recommend this book to everyone. It should sit on every coffee table as it acts as a remedy to this complicated world, where creativity is overlooked or worse, supressed. Read this if you want to believe you can.
fffrank!
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I kinda live for Zen Pencils ❤️
Elaine
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic, graphic
Another winner from Mr. Than!

Zen Pencils: Cartoon Quotes from Inspirational Folks is another great collection of words and wisdom from renowned talents in art, science, math, philosophy, just to name a few.

Great cartoons, engaging and fun to read and look at it.

This would make a wonderful gift for kids and adults.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great quotes. Clever illustrations.
A haiku here seems appropriate.
Completely worth your time.
Veda
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, 2018
wow !! I simply loved the book .... Makes you feel light and brightens your day !
Julie Ehlers
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I saw this last month in a bookstore in the SF airport and really wanted to get it then, but my luggage was already crammed so full of books that I literally didn't have room for one more (not that I'm complaining). Anyway, now that I have procured and read this, I am happy to say it was worthy of my temporarily thwarted acquisitiveness. The art was lovely and most (not quite all) of the quotes were well chosen--beautiful and wise. This is the sort of book that makes you feel like you can do jus ...more
Şahika
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
favorite: Make Good Art
Bandit
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
You will most likely be inspired. Or, at the very least, impressed. The author actually followed all these great motivational advice, quit his job and figured out a way to make a living at doing what he loves...hence the book. And, of course, this doesn't bode quite so auspiciously for every art student (or insert any artistic calling ambition) waiting tables and serving overpriced lattes. But it worked for author (and many prolific figures whose quotes he uses) and naturally now he wants to sav ...more
Carol Flores
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels

Not only I admire him as a person, because he dared to left his old job in order to become what he really wanted (a full-time cartoonist),
Riya Thakkar
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the rare books with inspirational quotes that do justice to the word "inspiration". Gavin is immensely skilled and surely has an eye for detail. He turns the quotes into these stories which you could never imagine would be a depiction of the quote. And yet they fit together like pieces of a jigsaw. His work is breathtaking and resplendent. His art is as inspiring as the quotes. This has now become a book that I keep visiting frequently!
Onaiza Khan
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love
Megha
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Megha by: Parthiban Sekar
The foreword itself is so inspiring!
Chanel
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an ARC on Netgalley. Cute. Quick. Fun. Filled with some good quotes to remember and live by. I plan to share some of these with my students in the classroom and with my yoga community.
Aditya Lotia
Pictures speaker louder than words. It is true in this case. I don't know of any words that could help me describe what the combination of words and pictures do to you when you read this. It is not the first time I am reading this. I have read all the comic strips on the website, multiple times. And then I read it again in the physical copy. This book is truly inspirational and gorgeous, to say the least. All these quotes that you read make you wonder if you are actually happy with your life or ...more
Happy Priya
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Don’t make stuff because you want to make money — it will never make you enough money. And don’t make stuff because you want to get famous — because you will never feel famous enough. Make gifts for people — and work hard on making those gifts in the hope that those people will notice and like the gifts.

Maybe they will notice how hard you worked, and maybe they won’t — and if they don’t notice, I know it’s frustrating. But, ultimately, that doesn’t change anything — because your responsibility i
Etienne
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for kid, but adult can benefit from it too. It present quotes and inspiration/moral stories from great mind of the world (Confucius, Roosevelt, Marie Curie, and many others) in the form of small cartoons (stories are about 2-3 pages). It made it easy to understand without making them sound stupid or «childish». Great, original and very well done. I think it could be useful in class, even with very young kid. You read one story with them and then discuss about it to make them think o ...more
Ann
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a nice book to gift to the young readers in your life. Teens will read it because it's in comic book format and easy to read. The fact that they learn something will be an added bonus. The author Cavin Aung Than takes quotes from famous names like Confucius, Marie Curie, and Henry David Thoreau, to Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Calvin Coolidge, to contemporary notables like Ira Glass, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Neil Gaiman. Each comic panel is only a few pages long and is kept simple a ...more
Ye Lin Aung
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Got it during recent trip to DC. Needless to say, this one worth to keep and read it again and again. Ko Gavin Aung Than (Oh yes, he's a Burmese as well. I can't be proud anymore) did the amazing (and surprising work as he mentioned RPF in one page) job combing the great quotes from great people with easy to understand, beautiful comics. Love it. Meanwhile, it's also worth to check out ZenPencils website where Ko Gavin writes and draws stuffs. ...more
Li Jia Li
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I knew the books from my friends and go checkout and read the comics at zenpencils.com before getting the books. These are beautifully crafted comics and really love it. You would never get bored to re-read it again and again. There's also a poster included with the book and it's super awesome. :) And i'm also very proud to know that Gavin is a Burmese. Cheers !!!
Punit
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What better way to have this book than autographed by Gav himself?!
It's the same as web-comics albeit the illustrations are tailored to suit a book. Still captivating, motivational, awe-inspiring, sometimes bringing tears but a joy to read nonetheless. For an old-schooler like me, the book is more accessible and anytime read for me. Treasure this :)
Dhwani
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
One star less because in the 'Don't Compare Yourself To Others' story, Than's listed 'a pretty wife' along with other things you can acquire/desire like a Rolex and a holiday house :/
This little bit soured for me an otherwise wonderful book.
Prithvi.bits
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best compilations
Shivali Chopra
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
there are some books which just makes you so happy that you want to cuddle them and not let go ever . thank you for making my day :)
Bhargavi Balachandran
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice stuff..gets a little repetitive after a few cartoons.
Sooraya Evans
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow!
Graphics indeed bring out the magic behind these inspirational quotes.
The take on Neil Gaiman was the funniest to me.
The 'cinema ticket' short made me cry.

• Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix
  • Heart and Brain: Body Language: An Awkward Yeti Collection
  • The Dark Matter of Mona Starr
  • Everything Is an Emergency: An OCD Story in Words  Pictures
  • Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting
  • Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2)
  • I Think I Am In Friend-Love With You
  • The Creeps
Gavin Aung Than is a freelance cartoonist based in Melbourne, Australia. After working in the corporate graphic design industry for 8 years he quit his unfulfilling job at the end of 2011 to focus on his true passion, drawing cartoons. Gavin launched Zen Pencils at the start of 2012, a cartoon blog which adapts inspirational quotes into comic stories, and hasn’t looked back since.

News & Interviews