Start by marking “Return of the Ascendant (Ascendant, #1)” as Want to Read:
Return of the Ascendant (Ascendant, #1)

Return of the Ascendant

(Ascendant #1)

Expecting to enjoy another typical college night at a frat party with friends, Kyra Vaughn’s plans derail when she’s almost killed…twice. Her savior, a tall, sexy stranger who calls himself TaeDane, claims that he’s the personal bodyguard for the Ascendant of Alametria. She’s convinced he’s crazy.

Especially when he insists that she’s the Ascendant.

With dark enemies hunting
ebook
Published April 8th 2014 by Iambe Books, LLC (first published April 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Ascendant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Ascendant

Becky Shambley
I became a huge fan of Raine Thomas' work with her first book, Becoming, which is part of the Daughters of Saraqael trilogy. I knew I loved her by the end of that trilogy, and didn't think she could improve. I was wrong.

Taking place initially on Earth, she literally takes you out of this world with colorful, clear, and descriptive images, to the point that it's like watching a mental movie.
I won't summarize what the book is about, there's other reviews for that:) but, I will say that if you enjo
Mandy
Kyra has finally moved out of the dorms into her own place with her bestie her junior year should be amazing. It’s already starting off awesome with a fraternity party with her friends that should be a fun night out. However on her walk across campus she encounters the lights going out and a tall stranger grabs her guiding her surprisingly to her friends who he just happens to know. Thinking it’s a set up the truth never crosses her mind that he’s an alien bodyguard sent to protect her. When the ...more
Mary Lou Hoffman
Series: The Ascendant #1
Category /Genre: Sci-Fi, Romance
Received from: Raine Thomas (in exchange for an honest review)
Recommended for: 18+ due to sexual content
Grammar/editing: A – near perfect

This is book one in The Ascendent series. It does stand-alone (no cliffhanger), but you’re going to want to read more. If I could give a standing ovation to a book, this one would have me jumping up and down and screaming for an encore. Oh, wait! There IS an encore coming!!

I only said yes to reading this b
BookHookup
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have now come to terms with the fact that I will read and enjoy anything that Raine Thomas writes…young adult, new adult, contemporary, romance, fantasy…grocery list… Well, maybe not that last one, but you know what I mean. It’s great to find an author who can write many different types of books and do it all so well! After a couple of contemporary romances, Ms. Thomas is back to her roots with this new fantasy series and I, for one, am glad. Her imagination knows no bounds and this book is pr ...more
Lisa
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As far as I am concerned Raine cannot write a bad book,I know for a fact if I see a book wrote by Raine I am going to buy it no matter the genre. I have loved everything she as written so far and Return of the Ascendant is no exception.

Kyra is just like any other girl going to college and hanging with her friends, or so she believes, until one night everything she thought she knew is turned on its head and she learns not only is she from a planet called Alamertri but she is also the Ascendant o
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 stars

I received a copy from the author for an honest review.

Return of the Ascendant was everything I wanted it to be and so much more!!! I read the short-story prequel to the series in the Take Me To Your Readers Anthology and loved it so much I had to read the series! I was not disappointed at all, this is a kick-butt sci-fi alien book with amazing chemistry romance and snarky banter! You will fall in love with Raine's writing the same way I have once you start, and you won't be abl
Kel (Faerie-bookworm)
I received a copy from NetGalley for an honest review.

So, I read the blurb and thought "this sounds pretty good". Boy was I wrong, it was better than good. It took a little bit to get into, maybe like 4 chapters, but after that I couldn't put it down. The characters were easy to relate to and fall in love with....mmmm Ty. What's great is that you find out things as the characters do so questions are constantly running through your head and I love that. I'm curious by nature and most of the time
Megan
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I will admit. I am NOT. A big sci-fi reader. Never have been but I enjoyed this book. I hates when they got back to Alametria though. That place is just awful. I almost couldn't read anymore because I got so sick of her "parents" and all. I was screaming "go back to earth" while reading lol. It was good though!!
Michelle Cornwell-Jordan
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was truly excited for the opportunity to read Return Of The Ascendant! I am a true fan of Author Raine Thomas loving all of her works, and so I was beside with excitement with reading a new series from this author!:O)

Return Of The Ascendant follows college student Kyra Vaughn whose biggest concern was the birthday outing she and best friends Avana and Sam would attend. But things changed when her birthday outing was transformed into an introduction into an entirely new world!

Soon not only does
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)

Did I enjoy this book: Return of the Ascendant is a fun read for sure! It has everything a paranormal romance should have: forbidden love, mind reading lovers, a villain you love you hate, secretly discovering you are the ruler of the galaxy, etc. . . . The characters are fun if not a little cliche, but I can’t hold it against them. Kyra is a wonderfully strong female lead, and I enjoyed cheering for her. I enjoyed the plot lines, especially the concept of aliens who come to Earth to le
Ana
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Book Vacation
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To see my full review:

Fast-paced and full of heart-pounding adventure, Thomas takes readers on a ride they won’t soon forget as Kyra learns the truth of her heritage in Return of the Ascendant. I am in awe of Thomas’ sheer writing ability, in love with Ty, and dying to know what happens next. Thankfully, Thomas does not make it a habit of leaving her readers on a cliffhanger, and while this novel is the first in a series, it does have an epic conclusion th
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
A truly magnificent story as Kyra learns the truth of who she is as she fights her way back home. Home to a planet she doesn’t even remember. But once there she may wish she never returned. She slowly remembers her past and the person she once was. Someone who wasn't very nice. Not to mention, a race of aliens wants her dead. And her own parents are less than loving towards her. Her future seems like a losing battle with only one small flicker of hope: Ty. She is starting to remember him and the ...more
Eliana
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it

Plot: Kyra thinks she is an ordinary human girl, but that is only because she doesn’t remember her past. In reality she is an Alematrian. Not only does she come from a different planet, she also comes from a different galaxy.

The Plot is interesting, but I must admit that especially in the beginning it was very confusing. The explanations over how Alematria works were not very clear, so even when something was explained in the book, you needed time to unde
Stephanie Huddleston
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first thing I noticed when I started reading was that this book was written in third person. I'm not overly fond of third person writing and have sometimes opted not to read a book because it bothered me. However, with really awesome books you get used to it and then it doesn't matter. This is one of those books that are really awesome! The beginning felt devoid of emotion for me and I would have liked to see more of her friendship with her college friends rather than saying they were friend ...more
EndlessReading
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Firstly I want to thank the lovely Raine Thomas for kindly providing me with a copy of "Return Of The Ascendant" to read and review.

I've seen this book posted around a few times and I kept telling myself that's next on my list to read, but I never got the chance, but NOW I have, and OMG.! I can't believe I waited so long....

Return of the Ascendant is action packed with a sprinkle of forbidden romance to keep the reader intrigued...

Kyra thinks her friends are pranking her and some "HOT" dude
The Color of Ink
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kyra has plans for the night and she is already running behind schedule. She was on her way through the college campus expecting to meet her friends and spend the evening at a frat party. However, shouldn't you always expect the unexpected? Something completely unexpected is exactly what you will get when you read Return of the Ascendant.

Kyra is your everyday run of the mill college student or so she thinks. When the shadows creep in on her, the world and everything she knows comes crashing in o
Amberr Meadows
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure: I received this book for purposes of an honest review. Opinions are my own and unaffected by other parties.

"She's Destined to Rule Worlds. He's Determined to rule her heart."

Return of the Ascendant was superb from beginning to end. An excellent story line starting on a college campus and ending somewhere deep in the universe, combined with a steamy romance between the main protagonist, Kyra, and her smokin' hot protector, Ty, leaves me waiting on the edge of my seat for the second bo
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Return of the Ascendant! I found the characters easy to connect to and the story line easy to follow. I found it interesting that the Alamertrian ways included removing memories of lessons they deemed unnecessary but was pleasantly surprised when Kyra disagreed with that practice upon returning. The connection between Kyra and Ty was fun to watch develop as Kyra didn't have access to her memories of him initially but felt drawn to him. I'm a huge fan of strong female characters ...more
Tara Humphrey
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stacey
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ascendant
Raine Thomas
This book had me hooked the from start to finish
Kyra is a young girl who is just your average girl ( is she ) , living day to day while at college life is alway a battle , lucky her two best friends are there to help keep her busy , happy , loved .
All this is shuck up when the darkness comes to life .....
Then appears Ty omg he's one hot man
He's her protector I know your saying why she need a protector I thought the same .
Well her life is turned upside down , inside out an
Tammie
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-re-read
LOVED Return of the Ascendant. Between Kyra's spunky and feisty personality and Ty's smoldering protectiveness, this book was a was absolutely amazing! Raine pulled this story together with full on action, suspense and the forbidden love between two people. I couldnt put this book down! The characters are incredibly well conceived. The plot line is thorough and riveting. Kudos, Raine. Very well done.!!
Sue M. Van
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started my passion for Raine Thomas' stories. I simply could not put this book down until I had finished it. The characters are very well developed and the love between royalty and someone considered below her station in society is beautiful and yet challenging. The story flowed smoothly and was easy to follow. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys paranormal/sci-fi combined with a great love story, this is the book for you!
Debra
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kyr was not your average college student at all! She is an important person on another world but I will leave out the details and won't spoil it for anyone. You want to know, read this book. I received my copy in exchange for an honest review. I recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy, a little bit of forbidden romance (not over the top like typical romance novel) , and some interesting adventures thrown in. I cannot wait to read the next book in this series.
Kelly Young
Loved!

Kyra is just an ordinary college student... or is she? While on her way to meet her best friends she encounters a mysterious guy that changes everything she thought she knew. I loved this book!! I liked how it gave two sides of the story both from kyr's and Ty's perspective. I cannot wait to start the next book... right now!
Kristyn Smith
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading the Ascendant. It was a bit different from most of the books that are currently out there, which I absolutely loved! I was able to easily get into the storyline and I was hooked right away. The story didn't end with a cliffhanger or anything, but I was definitely wanting more.
CJ
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book in the collection Curses, Fates, and Soul Mates, which was an impulse buy as it was on sale the day I purchased it. Ms. Thomas’ story certainly made the collection worth the purchase. The storyline was entertaining, and the characters were well defined. This is so much more than a Sci-Fi love story, and I cannot wait to read the next book in the series.
Bethany Lopez
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Return of the Ascendant is the return of the Raine Thomas that we all know and love. The way that she build new worlds and beings is one of my favorite things about her writing. And, as always, I love her men. Ty is strong, loyal, and sometimes overbearing, but totaly swoonworthy. I cannot wait to read book 2!
Felicia Semmler
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I loved this book. It was fast paced and the character were so easy to connect too. I am dying for the next book to come out to see what happens between Krya and Ty - their love made my heart ache for them. And I cannot wait to see what happens next!! Totally worth the money and time to read!!
Sara
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great start to a series, and I can't wait for the next book. I have high hopes for Kyr and Ty's relationship. I really really like Ty. Vycor, or nasty pants as I now like to call him, I am sure will be getting in the way more with his crazy manipulations. He disgusts me to no end. And the Guardians were quite disappointing, too. The worst parents ever.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Mermaid's Pearl
  • Dark Waltz (Praestani, #1)
  • Pyramid of the Moon (Sun and Moon, #1)
  • The Otherworld Trilogy: Faelorehn / Dolmarehn / Luathara (The Otherworld Trilogy #1-3)
  • Ashes in the Sky (Fire in the Woods, #2)
  • Trusting an Angel
  • Ignited (Unclaimed, #2)
  • Hemlock Veils
  • Dark Rising (Archangel Prophecies #2)
  • Curses, Fates & Soul Mates: 5 Paranormal New Adult Novels
  • Witch Hunter Olivia (Witch Hunter, #1)
  • Earth's Requiem (Earth Reclaimed #1)
  • Wings of Nestor (Solus, #3)
  • Fire of Stars and Dragons (Stars and Souls #1)
  • Beguiled (Immortal Essence #4)
  • Runaway Mortal (Runaway Mortal, #1)
  • Shadow of Flame (Dragonsworn, #2)
  • Divide
Raine Thomas is the award-winning author of bestselling Young Adult and New Adult fiction. Known for character-driven stories that inspire the imagination, Raine recently signed with multiple award-winning producer Chase Chenowith of Back Fence Productions to bring her popular Daughters of Saraqael trilogy to the big screen. She's a proud indie author who is living the dream.

Raine is a hopeless ro

Ascendant (3 books)
  • Rout of the Dem-Shyr (Ascendant, #2)
  • Rise of the Faire-Amanti (Ascendant, #3)